Volvo Oil Consumption Class Action Lawsuit
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Volvo Oil Consumption Class Action Lawsuit

http://newjerseyclassactionlawyer.ne...ction-lawsuit/

The Oil Consumption issue has been a topic of recent concern. Several threads have covered the issue extensively, going so far as having people "check their engine serial". Others are now breathing down the neck of Volvo Service to resolve the issue. And some have gone up the corporate ladder to appeal for good will.

So here's the bottom line. It appears you aren't alone. Enough people must be affected if lawyers are considering a class action.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

From that site:

Our investigation reveals that Volvo often denies warranty claims for these repairs.
      I don't believe that for a second! I've read ZERO reports here of denied warranty claims, in fact, just the opposite. I've read plenty of reports of Volvo stepping up and goodwilling claims outside of warranty.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

I was going to fill out the form and say that Volvo replaced pistons and rings under warranty for my vehicle but the pull down menu does not have selection for Volvo burning oil. If denied warranty claims for burning oil is such and issue I would think they would have updated their form to include it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      2016 S60 Cross Country (SOLD)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

There are new cars that define normal as a quart every 1000 miles.

The idea of a class action for oil burning seems odd to me. While I don't read the other sections on Swedespeed, there has been very little discussion in this specific section about oil burning, pistons and rings. There has probably been more discussion about the bad year of the T5 5 cylinder than the T5 Drive-E.
      2016 Volvo V60 T5 Platinum
      Onyx Black/Beechwood/Sport Package

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRubicon View Post
      The idea of a class action for oil burning seems odd to me. While I don't read the other sections on Swedespeed, there has been very little discussion in this specific section about oil burning, pistons and rings. There has probably been more discussion about the bad year of the T5 5 cylinder than the T5 Drive-E.
      The burning oil problem depends upon one's engine serial number. I guess numbers above 150 are unaffected, while those below are potentially at disk of developing the problem. And contrary to argument, there are people on here moaning that Volvo "won't cover" the repair because their 4 yr / 50K warranty has been exceeded. Or Volvo wants the OP to dump thousand bucks for a diagnostic and then only offer "good will" assistance but not a full courtesy repair.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 10-19-2018 at 10:46 AM.

And alot of the 5 cyl. S60 . This is not new to volvo

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      And contrary to argument, there are people on here moaning that Volvo "won't cover" the repair because their 4 yr / 50K warranty has been exceeded. Or Volvo wants the OP to dump thousand bucks for a diagnostic and then only offer "good will" assistance but not a full courtesy repair.
      This is what I don't understand. The number of people that have raised this issue on this forum is minimal, single digits, maybe under 5. One of the most vocal doesn't even have the problem.
      2016 Volvo V60 T5 Platinum
      Onyx Black/Beechwood/Sport Package

Which year was the bad year? 2015?

'15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray
      '15 V60 | T5 Drive-E (Serial within potential piston ring failure batch)

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      And contrary to argument, there are people on here moaning that Volvo "won't cover" the repair because their 4 yr / 50K warranty has been exceeded. Or Volvo wants the OP to dump thousand bucks for a diagnostic and then only offer "good will" assistance but not a full courtesy repair.
      This is what I don't understand. The number of people that have raised this issue on this forum is minimal, single digits, maybe under 5. One of the most vocal doesn't even have the problem.
      Most Volvo owners are not on forums . When i talked to my dealer yesterday the service manager stated that their dealership had performed quit a few "fixes".

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      From that site:

Our investigation reveals that Volvo often denies warranty claims for these repairs.
      I don't believe that for a second! I've read ZERO reports here of denied warranty claims, in fact, just the opposite. I've read plenty of reports of Volvo stepping up and goodwilling claims outside of warranty.
      That's exactly the part that jumped out at me as total BS.

It's a bunch of lawyers wanting to cash in. The plaintiffs would be lucky to get a free oil change out of this.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

The nice man on TV told me I have mesothelioma because I did a few brake jobs. Guess I should call that 800 number...

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      The nice man on TV told me I have mesothelioma because I did a few brake jobs. Guess I should call that 800 number...
      Guess so. Time to make out a will and call it a day...

Or realize that people who bought cars from Volvo and fall outside the warranty are getting screwed...Otherwise there wouldn't be lawyers taking up these cases. Lawyers don't do things if there's no money to be made.

Awaiting Approval

Spun bearings on my 2015 t5

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that I ALSO have a 2015 t5 (2.5) awd, and it began making a horrible knocking sound on my way home from work one day. I was close, so I just limped home. I had no lights on, and no messages in my info menu. I got out and checked the dipstick to find that it was completely dry. I ended up having to add 3, yes 3 quarts of oil to my engine just for it to hit the "minimum" mark on the dipstick. Now, I change my oil every 7,000 miles (last one was beginning of July), and I only use top shelf oil (currently liquimoly). Never once did I receive a low pressure or level warning. My odometer currently reads 57,489.

I called the dealer where I purchased the car (last September @ 34,000 miles), and they said I am out of warranty, that they do not care. So I then escalated it to vcna, who said to me that I need to bring it to an authorized dealer. I brought it to Boston Volvo Village here in MA. They diagnosed it within 24 hours as having a spun bearing due to low oil. The only fix they told me is a new engine. I attempted to get a goodwill claim going, and was told that if i can provide proof of each and every oil change being done at proper intervals, i MIGHT have a chance. Now, I purchased this car at 34,000 miles and can prove there have been 3 oil changes completed since. the last of which was in July, when i ordered the oil, filter, and oil cap wrench from fcp euro, I also have a receipt of going to the local volvo dealer and purchasing the drain plug washer/gasket in the same week.

After handing all of the records over, I was called the next day saying that vcna was denying my claim. they are stating that I do not have enough evidence of sufficient oil changes being done, as not all of them were completed by a certified volvo dealership. they stated "Yes, we see that you purchased $85 worth of oil change supplies, everything you would need. But, you could have hypothetically thrown it all in the trash.". they then went on to state how they cannot even tell if I am competent enough to do my own oil changes (I am a Biomedical Engineer, who fixes medical devices for a living. I can do an oil change). I am literally being told that I am on the hook for a $15,000 engine replacement because i didnt bring it to a volvo dealer for every oil change.

Ouch! I wish you luck in your efforts to get some relief. I had a similar experience with an Audi A4.

I assume this car does not have an oil level sensor ("electronic dipstick"). I have to believe that cases like this are what drove Volvo to delete the dipstick and go with the level sensor. You probably would have gotten a warning long before damage was done. Some people don't like the electronic dipstick, but you have to admit, electronics are ever-vigilant.
      Last edited by Dyno; 10-22-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Ok i will chime in on how great my Volvo dealers service department is . I purchase car with 27000 miles , they told me 30k service was just done . So i drive it home and drain the oil and measure it 1 full quart overfilled .That was even before dropping the filter . Oil did appear fresh . So then i check air filter , of coarse its original and filthy . Thought that was in 30,000 mile service ? Then i look at tire pressure , every tire different some overfilled some under . My car will never go to Volvo service for a oil change period . I guess i will have to video my oil changes for future butt coverings . That is why people dont like dealerships , they cant take a simple service and do a piss poor job of it .

Okay, we all know you hate Volvo because there is a bulletin for something on your car. But you also clearly like to exaggerate.

In your post about the oil capacity, it was .4 quarts overfilled. Now its a full quart.
      And no, the air filter is not part of the 30k. Relax already. You aren't going to be happy no matter what. We get it.

And guess what- you can take your car to an indy shop and they can do a piss poor job too. Just like you can hire one plumber and he can do a piss more job but another one may not. It's not about who employs them.

My last car was a 2009 Jetta TDI which was one of over 550,000 vehicles bought back by VW for their cheating on emissions with the infamous investigation uncovered by engineering students at West Virginia University. Costs on VW's lawsuit were staggering: over $20 Billion in losses. If that lawsuit posted by OP gets traction, Volvo is in trouble.

While I'm sure Volvo has not sold as many T5's as VW sold diesels, this "oil consumption being normal" smells of poor engineering. Far from being an expert on such a matter, I will weigh in on what I think are the issues. There appears to be this defensive stance VCNA is taking. There is a vigilance in place within most corporations most of us can understand having worked for many.

So far I have read many posts on the T5's issue. The main one being the "oil guzzler and no warning" thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...arning!/page22

Volvo Corporation of North America has to start taking ownership of what is now clearly an engineering mishap. Denying claims due to lack of having their cars "dealer serviced" is full of bologna. I went to the dealer with ALL of my oil change receipts I had performed meticulously at 3000-5000 mile intervals on dino oil 5W-30 only to be rejected due to no oil changes performed at Volvo dealerships.

I was persistent with my local dealer where I have purchased 3 Volvos and that netted me $2k of the $4k approval granted by VCNA for the required for ring replacement. That said if "Ring Replacement" is a mechanical/engineering fault, why is Volvo not taking ownership and issuing a recall ? Why should I still have to pay $2000 for their mistake. These cars were mis-engineered. The dealer response of the engines being wired for fuel efficiency due to their turbocharged and "Low Friction Technology" nature does nothing to solve the issue at hand..that these T5 cars will most likely become oil burners for most but perhaps not all.

Perhaps those who drive their T5 like an old lady and have had only fully synthetic oil changes rather than dino oil have avoided this issue. Or this is only affecting some effected range of 2012s and some range of 15s. There appears to be some inconsistency so I can understand not issuing a complete recall of ALL T5's. In that case issue a smaller recall of only effected engine ranges.

Instead what the Volvo corporation is doing is making customers fight with their local dealers who are the middlemen/soldiers on their front lines against the onslaught of angry citizens.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

If you are using the wrong oil, then they should absolutely deny the claim.

Here's the thing... "Responsibility" for the health of a car changes over time. If something fails right out of the gate, the manufacturer is responsible. If it fails in the warranty period, the manufacturer is still responsible. After that, the situation starts to change.

If you had an oil consuption issue shortly outside of the warranty period, reasonable people would still expect the manufacturer to extend some "goodwill", even though they are not obligated to do so. On the other hand, if you had an oil consumption problem at 300,000 miles, hey, that's on you.

Anything in between is a gray area and open to negotiation. The lower the mileage and the stronger the evidence of good maintenance, the better your chances of getting good will.

There are a number of oil consumption lawsuits out there. What are the terms and conditions that were agreed-to? Extended (but not unlimited) warranty, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by zaks.s60 View Post
      Hey everyone, I just wanted to say that I ALSO have a 2015 t5 (2.5) awd, and it began making a horrible knocking sound on my way home from work one day. I was close, so I just limped home. I had no lights on, and no messages in my info menu. I got out and checked the dipstick to find that it was completely dry. I ended up having to add 3, yes 3 quarts of oil to my engine just for it to hit the "minimum" mark on the dipstick. Now, I change my oil every 7,000 miles (last one was beginning of July), and I only use top shelf oil (currently liquimoly). Never once did I receive a low pressure or level warning. My odometer currently reads 57,489.

I called the dealer where I purchased the car (last September @ 34,000 miles), and they said I am out of warranty, that they do not care. So I then escalated it to vcna, who said to me that I need to bring it to an authorized dealer. I brought it to Boston Volvo Village here in MA. They diagnosed it within 24 hours as having a spun bearing due to low oil. The only fix they told me is a new engine. I attempted to get a goodwill claim going, and was told that if i can provide proof of each and every oil change being done at proper intervals, i MIGHT have a chance. Now, I purchased this car at 34,000 miles and can prove there have been 3 oil changes completed since. the last of which was in July, when i ordered the oil, filter, and oil cap wrench from fcp euro, I also have a receipt of going to the local volvo dealer and purchasing the drain plug washer/gasket in the same week.

After handing all of the records over, I was called the next day saying that vcna was denying my claim. they are stating that I do not have enough evidence of sufficient oil changes being done, as not all of them were completed by a certified volvo dealership. they stated "Yes, we see that you purchased $85 worth of oil change supplies, everything you would need. But, you could have hypothetically thrown it all in the trash.". they then went on to state how they cannot even tell if I am competent enough to do my own oil changes (I am a Biomedical Engineer, who fixes medical devices for a living. I can do an oil change). I am literally being told that I am on the hook for a $15,000 engine replacement because i didnt bring it to a volvo dealer for every oil change.
      Why a DIY isn't always the best course of action. Did you get the CarFax / Autocheck? It should list where and whom provided the oil changes from 10,20,30K...and then you owned the car for 40,50K. I mean if you did your own changes at 40 and 50K, you're in a bind. Maybe contact those lawyers. Not sure there's much to be done.

Seems Volvo can argue what you stated. Just cause you bought supplies, we don't know it was done right. And I bet that holds a lot of water in saying "screw you".

Quote Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
      Here's the thing... "Responsibility" for the health of a car changes over time. If something fails right out of the gate, the manufacturer is responsible. If it fails in the warranty period, the manufacturer is still responsible. After that, the situation starts to change.

If you had an oil consuption issue shortly outside of the warranty period, reasonable people would still expect the manufacturer to extend some "goodwill", even though they are not obligated to do so. On the other hand, if you had an oil consumption problem at 300,000 miles, hey, that's on you.

Anything in between is a gray area and open to negotiation. The lower the mileage and the stronger the evidence of good maintenance, the better your chances of getting good will.

There are a number of oil consumption lawsuits out there. What are the terms and conditions that were agreed-to? Extended (but not unlimited) warranty, probably.
      Disagree. If a problem consistently appears among multiple vehicles, eyebrows are raised. Maybe some hit the mark at 40K and need new rings. And other cars hit at 110K (outside of warranty). Speculative numbers, btw. But if these all experience the same symptoms, one can readily conclude a fault in production and/or engineering.

And don't get me wrong, I see why Volvo insulates itself from people doing their own oil changes. It's a valid argument as to whether the changes were performed using proper oil, new filters, and done competently. However, companies also deny for multiple reasons. To frustrate people as many will give up. To save money and prevent lawsuits. Admission means potential liability. So on and so forth.

That being said, Volvo has issued a Technical Journal on the problem. So it isn't artificial. The concern here becomes how and when does Volvo accept responsibility. And where is the line drawn? I guess those lawyers above will figure it out....Though I'm sure the plaintiffs will all end up with a free oil change certificate while the lawyers make 10s of millions.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Costs on VW's lawsuit were staggering: over $20 Billion in losses. If that lawsuit posted by OP gets traction, Volvo is in trouble.
      One of those suits is for willfully defrauding US regulatory agencies, the other is about customer dissatifaction outside the warraty period. Not quite the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      If you are using the wrong oil, then they should absolutely deny the claim.
      And yet it sounds like Volvo met him halfway.

Also, how do you factor in parts that aren't "wear items" like Takata airbags, for example?

Some things most certainly are the manufacturers' responsibility even after the warranty since the design and implementation of their part provider is what can bring up safety concerns.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      Also, how do you factor in parts that aren't "wear items" like Takata airbags, for example?

Some things most certainly are the manufacturers' responsibility even after the warranty since the design and implementation of their part provider is what can bring up safety concerns.
      Manufacturers are obligated to report safety and emissions-related complaints to the federal and state government agencies (NHTSA, EPA, CARB, etc.) The government is in a place of strength in these situations because they can de-certify the make/model and thus make it unsaleable in the US. I believe this is the leverage that was applied in the VW case and maybe Takata.

Big Brother doesn't wade into reliability issues so much.
      Last edited by Dyno; 10-23-2018 at 11:14 AM.

The original spec in 2012, 2013 & 2014 called for dino oil 5W-30. Volvo changed the spec and issued a bulletin around 2015 or 2016 when the issue was discovered.

I now use fully synthetic as the Volvo mechanic I spoke to warned me of potential sludge issues with dino oil. Even though I tested and proved dino oil burns less, I did want want to chance it.

The switch to fully synthetic does not solve the issue at hand. Some early model 2012s are known to have this issue, yet no recall.

I'm adding a quart every 1K and it burns steady. The car was built to burn oil and save gas.

The original spec in 2012, 2013 & 2014 called for dino oil 5W-30. Volvo changed the spec and issued a bulletin around 2015 or 2016 when the issue was discovered.

I now use fully synthetic as the Volvo mechanic I spoke to warned me of potential sludge issues with dino oil. Even though I tested and proved dino oil burns less, I did want want to chance it.

The switch to fully synthetic does not solve the issue at hand. Some early model 2012s are known to have this issue, yet no recall.

I'm adding a quart every 1K and it burns steady. The car was built to burn oil and save gas.
      Im sure the engineers said in order to meet our mileage needs we need to burn oil . #!#?

Lots of wrong information here.

The original spec in 2012 was regular oil, correct. 2013 and on were always synthetic oil.

Some 2012's had an issue with rings gumming up. So the spec was changed on the 2012 engine code 62. They now require synthetic. The interval is the same (7500 miles). This change was done via a service campaign (similar to a recall).

And here is something that will hopefully put some of the paranoia to rest already.

This morning, I had a customer come in with a 2016 XC90 (I know this is the S60 forum, but it's a Drive-E). The engine is one of those before the updated pistons. He went over 17,000 miles on his last oil change. Nearly 18,000 actually.

The oil level indicator in the car showed down two lines (note this gauge is not exactly linear). Out of curiosity, I checked the level with VIDA with the Dipstick Test. It was still in the "OK" range, but did indicate it was less than full. I did not perform the Volume test because it takes more time. Not scientific, but when I drained the oil, I did not notice it being obviously low. Having done as many oil changes as I have, I can tell when a car is really low on oil when I drain it. This engine has about 55,000 miles on it. So while not in the 100k plus range asked about previously, it also isn't a brand now motor.

So this potentially affected engine was neglected and currently shows no signs of oil consumption. Could it develop problems later? Of course. Especially if the customer continues to change his oil every 18,000 miles. But relax already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Lots of wrong information here.

The original spec in 2012 was regular oil, correct. 2013 and on were always synthetic oil.

Some 2012's had an issue with rings gumming up. So the spec was changed on the 2012 engine code 62. They now require synthetic. The interval is the same (7500 miles). This change was done via a service campaign (similar to a recall).
      Perhaps at your dealership 2012s got fully synthetic in 2013, but Volvo did not issue the Technical Journal TJ29871 until February of 2015:

https://images.firstcallonline.com/p...or2/130443.pdf

That means my 2012 got conventional 5W30 for over 3 years. I noticed the consumption at about 68K. I realize my post may sound paranoid, but driving around in a car burning 1 quart every 1K is slightly inconvenient. My funnel and 5W30 5 quart jug are at the ready.

Thanks for weighing in on the XC90, but that is a different beast. The 2012 T5 in certain engine code ranges is an oil burner.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about Model Years 2012, 2013 and 2014 all getting regular oil to begin with.

Yes, you are correct the 2012 originally called for regular and it wasn't until 2015 it was changed.

I realize the Drive-E is different, but these recent oil consumption paranoia threads seem to go back and forth between the 2012 problem and the Drive-E problem, so I wanted to put that in here for the Drive-E folks.

2012 called for semi-synthetic from day one, not regular. I had the dealer use full synthetic starting the first oil change and I paid the difference in cost.
      I've been doing my own oil changes after Safe and Secure expired with full synthetic at 5K intervals.
      The fact that full synthetic was used early on did not prevent the oil consumption issue from happening at 43K. I could not say how much oil it was using because the issue did not drag on at all. My dealer did the piston rings job promptly and with only little initial push back.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

No problem, I'm actually happy with my car, even with this boogeyman issue it has, I realize it's far more reliable than my Jetta used to be. Just bought a metal skid plate with the oil drain openings and am looking forward to changing the oil on my own.

It made it 7 years and 108K so far. The 2015s are far better equipped than my 2012 which were launched after the 2011s T6 AWD only models. The used 2013 XC90 I bought as the kid hauler has also held up great. Talk about bare bones, comparing it to the newer model. My 2013's XC90 was the first XC90 with a back-up cam...wow...

Still, it's very reliable as is my S60.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast