Anyone use conventional oil in their xc90s
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone use conventional oil in their xc90s

When I bought my xc90, it already had 135,000 miles on. Unsure of what oil it used, on my first oil change I used castrol syntec 5w30. All was good until temps dropped and I realized it was way too thin of oil and there was a good amount of chatter from the engine. I downgraded to castrol hi mileage, and have been using it since then. I have put another 120,000 miles on it and its run pretty well on the hi mileage oil. Engine is still quiet and smooth to this date. I do occasionally top up when the oil level is low with conventional oil which hasn't caused any issues.

I recently found out that castrol gtx is a synthetic blend, which is same as castrol hi mileage. Of course hi mileage stuff has extra additives.

So, if the oil is changed frequently, is conventional castrol gtx oil ok to use, considering there has been a fair amount of improvement in the formulations of conventional oils these days? I always hear of people putting whatever is cheapest and changing it frequently and their engines last upwards of 350k miles on original engines.
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member generic_volvo_driver's Avatar
      An option is to set up sale alerts for Canadian Tire. I get Pennzoil Platinum Ultra for about 30$ /5L. They also have mail in rebates which drop the price another 5$. Pennzoil Platinum meets all the AECA specifications (I've done a lot of research and am very impressed with how it performs in tests). I've switched my fleet to it.
      Me:
      2013 Volvo XC90 AWD Platinum (Caspian Blue Metallic, climate package, walnut inlays + wheel, BLIS, active bi-xenon headlights) 150k km
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package, climate package) 30k km
      1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (2+2, T-top, Aztec Red, collector plates) 80k km
      Family members:
      2015 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Platinum (Technology package) 96k km

Quote Originally Posted by generic_volvo_driver View Post
      An option is to set up sale alerts for Canadian Tire. I get Pennzoil Platinum Ultra for about 30$ /5L. They also have mail in rebates which drop the price another 5$. Pennzoil Platinum meets all the AECA specifications (I've done a lot of research and am very impressed with how it performs in tests). I've switched my fleet to it.
      thanks for your reply.
      Not that cost is an issue, but was just curious about how tolerant these engines are with conventional. I know 2 of my close friends bought volvo xc70s with the 2.5t engines, and them previous being from the Honda/Toyota crowd, failed to check the oil in between oil changes. The both didnt realize that turbo engines normally burn oil and both extended the oil change intervals to the point where the oil pressure light came on.We decided to drain the oil and discovered they were running on only 2 litres of oil! One is still on the road today with over 200k miles and the other sold with a perfect powertrain with over 200k miles.

Its good to know pennzoil is a good oil. I use to use it in my honda days, but now have switched exclusively to castrol.
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I ran my XC90 on dino oil. Changed at approx 7500 miles. Lot of highway miles on it. I sold it to an employee at >300k miles. I had the 2.5t engine. I sold it because the AWD went out not anything engine related.My employee is still driving it 2 years on.

I ran my V70 up to almost 300k miles. I needed AWD at that point. The v70 was blowing black soot out the tailpipe and I was afraid that it would notb pass the emissions at tag renewal. . That was when I bought the XC90
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

I've used dino on my '05 since I bought it (2005), moved to a Castrol synthetic blend high mileage oil since the last 2 changes (I do mine at 4k) since it seemed like a decent idea and the blend in a 5 gallon container was not that much more expensive than straight-up dino. I did a PCV service at 100k, will do another at 200k. I prefer to do these at intervals rather than wait for a clog and failure although I do a check from time to time (have the Volvo +/- .5 Kpa manometer).

The '08 had synthetic when I bought it at 92k miles, saw no reason to do anything different.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 129k

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      I've used dino on my '05 since I bought it (2005), moved to a Castrol synthetic blend high mileage oil since the last 2 changes (I do mine at 4k) since it seemed like a decent idea and the blend in a 5 gallon container was not that much more expensive than straight-up dino. I did a PCV service at 100k, will do another at 200k. I prefer to do these at intervals rather than wait for a clog and failure although I do a check from time to time (have the Volvo +/- .5 Kpa manometer).

The '08 had synthetic when I bought it at 92k miles, saw no reason to do anything different.

Did you notice any difference switching from dino oil to hi mileage?
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

no difference that I can tell, maybe less seeping around the turbo and a little less lifter chatter on start-up but that's about it so far.

It's probably just a coincidence, but, up until about 150,000 miles* I used conventional Castrol oil and never had to add oil between changes. Immediately upon trying the high mileage variant, I got the low oil warning. Now, at 163K miles I'm adding a quart every 1000 - 1500 miles.

*I acquired the car with 112K miles. I have no idea what was used prior to that time.
      Last edited by John C; 10-31-2018 at 09:10 AM.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 173,000 miles and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      It's probably just a coincidence, but, up until about 150,000 miles* I used conventional Castrol oil and never had to add oil between changes. Immediately upon trying the high mileage variant, I got the low oil warning. Now, at 163K miles I'm adding a quart every 1000 - 1500 miles.

*I acquired the car with 112K miles. I have no idea what was used prior to that time.
      did you notice any difference by switching to hi mileage? Did you switch back to conventional or are you continuing to use hi mileage?

I have always had to add oil to mine. probably 1-2 litres between oil changes. Never had an issue with it since all volvos I owned required topping up on the oil at the same rate.
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

Quote Originally Posted by huzzsaba View Post
      did you notice any difference by switching to hi mileage? .
      You mean other than the sudden increase in oil consumption? No, not really.

Now that I think about it, I probably first used the high mileage oil at the 142,500 change. I panicked when the low oil warning came on as it had never happened since I got the car. (A period of 30,000 miles.) Next change I went back to straight Castrol, but no change in consumption. If anything it's been getting worse. I think I added one quart between changes the first time, one or two the next time, and, most recently, a quart every 1000-1500 miles since 157,500.

I know the 3.2 is known to have oil control issues, but I was surprised by the suddenness with which it came on. I changed the PVC box at 150K, but no change.
      John C
      ---------------------

I'm doing maybe a quart between changes on my '05, pretty much the same whether with the older dino or the newer high mileage synthetic blend.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      You mean other than the sudden increase in oil consumption? No, not really.

Now that I think about it, I probably first used the high mileage oil at the 142,500 change. I panicked when the low oil warning came on as it had never happened since I got the car. (A period of 30,000 miles.) Next change I went back to straight Castrol, but no change in consumption. If anything it's been getting worse. I think I added one quart between changes the first time, one or two the next time, and, most recently, a quart every 1000-1500 miles since 157,500.

I know the 3.2 is known to have oil control issues, but I was surprised by the suddenness with which it came on. I changed the PVC box at 150K, but no change.
      Have you checked the breather box? Itís an integrated valve cover/ PCV. My 3.2 at 200+ was doing 1qt per oci.

Edit.. never mind, just reread and saw your last sentence...
      Last edited by Masscomguru; 10-31-2018 at 07:26 PM.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

My 3.2 was dealer only oil changes until about 55k miles, then switched to Pennzoil 5W-30 Synthetic. Then around 88k miles, I started to use Mobil 1 0W-40. Zero oil consumption and I changed the PCV/cover as a preventative measure around 105k miles.

My cousin has a 2006 2.5t and we are trying to figure out his consumption, now at 116k miles. Mobil 1 5W-30 was used from around 22k miles to 75k miles, then Royal Purple from 75k miles to 100k miles, about 1-2qts consumed by 3k miles. We believe it is being burnt if driven harder and if using more on-boost acceleration. We used Mobil 1 0W-40 from ~100k to 110k miles with 1-1.5qts for every 3k miles on oil and now the current Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W-40 (black bottle). The Castrol Edge helps with reducing consumption in any driving, but you can feel the thicker oil compared to the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 148k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownV View Post
      My 3.2 was dealer only oil changes until about 55k miles, then switched to Pennzoil 5W-30 Synthetic. Then around 88k miles, I started to use Mobil 1 0W-40. Zero oil consumption and I changed the PCV/cover as a preventative measure around 105k miles.

My cousin has a 2006 2.5t and we are trying to figure out his consumption, now at 116k miles. Mobil 1 5W-30 was used from around 22k miles to 75k miles, then Royal Purple from 75k miles to 100k miles, about 1-2qts consumed by 3k miles. We believe it is being burnt if driven harder and if using more on-boost acceleration. We used Mobil 1 0W-40 from ~100k to 110k miles with 1-1.5qts for every 3k miles on oil and now the current Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W-40 (black bottle). The Castrol Edge helps with reducing consumption in any driving, but you can feel the thicker oil compared to the Mobil 1 and Royal Purple.
      I think with the 5 cylinder turbo engine, its the nature of the beast. I have owned several of them, 95 850 t5, 96 850t5,99v70t5, 98 s70t5, even a 01 v40 with the 1.9t engine and they all needed 1 litre or more between intervals.

My current xc90 has a minor oil leak which I am trying to chase down, but I'm thinking maybe the seal swelling stuff in the hi mileage oil is causing it. My pcv was just cleaned and suction through the oil cap is good. cam seals were done recently as well. I have learnt to live with a few drops of oil on the driveway
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

I think with the 5 cylinder turbo engine, its the nature of the beast. I have owned several of them, 95 850 t5, 96 850t5,99v70t5, 98 s70t5, even a 01 v40 with the 1.9t engine and they all needed 1 litre or more between intervals.

My current xc90 has a minor oil leak which I am trying to chase down, but I'm thinking maybe the seal swelling stuff in the hi mileage oil is causing it. My pcv was just cleaned and suction through the oil cap is good. cam seals were done recently as well. I have learnt to live with a few drops of oil on the driveway
      I agree, the 2.5 that i had in my c30 and my s60 did the same. The only thing i donít get is why they never added an indicator...
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles

our 2005 and 2007 XC90 V8's said to use conventional oil, which we did till we changed over at 15,000 miles to synthetic, 100k on the clock now.

It was said to run conventional oil in a car designed for conventional for the first 10-15k miles before changing over to allow for everything to seat properly, not sure if true or not, but more than one car engineer told me that if a car started to burn oil, to go back to conventional for the next change and it typically fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      I agree, the 2.5 that i had in my c30 and my s60 did the same. The only thing i donít get is why they never added an indicator...
      What ticks me off more than the lack of an indicator is the owners manual. The 06 XC90 owners manual discusses the indicator. What they fail to mention is that it is only on the V8,not the 2.5. What a surprise I got when I checked the oil one chilly morning and it was 2 qts low. Fool me once...
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      What ticks me off more than the lack of an indicator is the owners manual. The 06 XC90 owners manual discusses the indicator. What they fail to mention is that it is only on the V8,not the 2.5. What a surprise I got when I checked the oil one chilly morning and it was 2 qts low. Fool me once...
      yeah. i've been down a few qts before on my C30 and s60. The 2.4 also blew through oil.
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles

When I bought my xc90, it already had 135,000 miles on. Unsure of what oil it used, on my first oil change I used castrol syntec 5w30. All was good until temps dropped and I realized it was way too thin of oil and there was a good amount of chatter from the engine.
      I'm confused.
      5w30 is what the manual calls for and is what I have used thus far. Granted, I've only been through a few chilly early spring mornings, summer, and one fall frost thus far. Nothing too cold. But colder temps should actually thicken and make oil less less viscous, not thin it and cause chatter.

As far as using standard oil, stand/synth blend, or pure synth ... given all the benefits of synthetic (longevity, more consistent viscosity, slower heat breakdown, better contaminant containment, longer intervals between oil changes), I can see no reason to use standard oil.
      Synth blend is simply half as worse as using standard. Again, I don't see the need or purpose outside of saving a few bucks.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      I'm confused.
      5w30 is what the manual calls for and is what I have used thus far. Granted, I've only been through a few chilly early spring mornings, summer, and one fall frost thus far. Nothing too cold. But colder temps should actually thicken and make oil less less viscous, not thin it and cause chatter.

As far as using standard oil, stand/synth blend, or pure synth ... given all the benefits of synthetic (longevity, more consistent viscosity, slower heat breakdown, better contaminant containment, longer intervals between oil changes), I can see no reason to use standard oil.
      Synth blend is simply half as worse as using standard. Again, I don't see the need or purpose outside of saving a few bucks.
      I was surprised too at all the chatter from the lifters when using castrol syntec. It was there for a few minutes until the engine warmed up and then it was quiet but too noisy for comfort.

As soon as I switched to hi mileage, I noticed much less chatter and less prolonged.
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      the indicator is when you take a hard turn, the oil pressure light comes on and you have to fill up close to 4 litres of oil
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

I was surprised too at all the chatter from the lifters when using castrol syntec. It was there for a few minutes until the engine warmed up and then it was quiet but too noisy for comfort.

As soon as I switched to hi mileage, I noticed much less chatter and less prolonged.
      What about Mobil 1 Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 as a synthetic? I put together an extensive spreadsheet of oils and their product data and like Mobil 1's synthetic high mileage oils I currently use it in various older vehicles. The viscosity rating for the M1 High Mileage at 40C is 72, versus 62.6 for the Castrol Edge. The pour point is at -36C for the Mobil 1. The extra lower temp viscosity may help with "cushoning" extra play or wear in the valvetrain or piston rings when cold.

The viscosity at 100C for the M1 5W-30 High Mileage is between M1/Castrol Edge 5W-30 weight and the 0W/5W-40 synthetics (M1, Castrol, Liquimoly, Royal Purple), which could help with normal operating temp stability, blow-by, and other reasons for oil consumption.

Depending on the additive package for High Mileage, it may help with the build-up of varnish or sludge inside hydraulic lifters, something that may have happened from the previous owner.

Regardless of "desktop" data, the best way to know is to try in a real-world setting.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 148k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

What about Mobil 1 Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 as a synthetic? I put together an extensive spreadsheet of oils and their product data and like Mobil 1's synthetic high mileage oils I currently use it in various older vehicles. The viscosity rating for the M1 High Mileage at 40C is 72, versus 62.6 for the Castrol Edge. The pour point is at -36C for the Mobil 1. The extra lower temp viscosity may help with "cushoning" extra play or wear in the valvetrain or piston rings when cold.

The viscosity at 100C for the M1 5W-30 High Mileage is between M1/Castrol Edge 5W-30 weight and the 0W/5W-40 synthetics (M1, Castrol, Liquimoly, Royal Purple), which could help with normal operating temp stability, blow-by, and other reasons for oil consumption.

Depending on the additive package for High Mileage, it may help with the build-up of varnish or sludge inside hydraulic lifters, something that may have happened from the previous owner.

Regardless of "desktop" data, the best way to know is to try in a real-world setting.
      I'm tempted to try mobil1 high mileage because its full synthetic, however, I haven't had any issue with castrol hi mileage and have been using it for the last 7 years. Unless there is a good chance, it will reduce my current oil leak, Id rather not change whats working.
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

I'm tempted to try mobil1 high mileage because its full synthetic, however, I haven't had any issue with castrol hi mileage and have been using it for the last 7 years. Unless there is a good chance, it will reduce my current oil leak, Id rather not change whats working.
      I have not had luck with M1 in my Volvos. I tried it in my V8 the last oil change and got a low light at about 6k miles (granted its only a half qt) but I did not have it before. Google it, there is a lot of similar instances. I went back to Castrol on this last oil change and got a Low light at 6800 so there is definitely a difference. I did not get that light in any of the previous 4 changes prior to. I had some oil loss on my 3.2 and I ran M1 all the time on that, I just didn't put 2+2 together. Maybe just coincidence. maybe not.
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles

I have not had luck with M1 in my Volvos. I tried it in my V8 the last oil change and got a low light at about 6k miles (granted its only a half qt) but I did not have it before. Google it, there is a lot of similar instances. I went back to Castrol on this last oil change and got a Low light at 6800 so there is definitely a difference. I did not get that light in any of the previous 4 changes prior to. I had some oil loss on my 3.2 and I ran M1 all the time on that, I just didn't put 2+2 together. Maybe just coincidence. maybe not.
      Which Mobil 1 weights and versions are you using. I use regular M1 0W-40 in my 3.2 with zero oil consumption, but have seen regular M1 5w-30 oil consumption in other European vehicles. For higher mileage or older cars, I have not seen the same oil consumption with the M1 High Mileage version. In a 1992 BMW 850i (10W-40), 1995 MB S500 (5W-30), 1980 MB 450SL (10W-40) no consumption. In a 2009 Honda Pilot 3.5 with 165k miles the High Mileage M1 (5W-20) reduced the oil consumption regularly seen in Honda V6s.

So yeah, I wouldn't use the regular M1 5W-30 oil personally, but I do like the 0W-40 and the High Mileage synthetic. In my 2011 BMW 535xi, I use either M1 0W-40 or Castrol's 0W/5W-40 depending on the season. I have zero consumption in that turbo engine. If I had to use a 5W-30 in a newer engine, I might use Pennzoil.

The important thing is to try what works for each person's vehicle. These synthetics are all good options. Quality dino oils do fine as long as the oil is changed regularly and at the right interval for your driving conditions.

Should we end another oil thread?

Should we end another oil thread?
      to be honest, i dont mind the numerous oil threads. Always something new to learn
      2004 volvo xc90 2.5t awd

I use M1 at the rated 10W-30 in the 3.2L. Works fine.... I use M1 10W30 in my RWD Volvo's except the turbo, which gets M1 10W-40.

Synthetic oil really is what belongs in modern engines. I love the low end torque of torque of turbos, but they are kinda like factory-installed oil leaks on some level.

-Ryan
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2013 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD (Wife-mobile)

A buddy of mine bought a dump/sand truck from the state at auction a few years ago. I know it isn't a sophisticated or even reliable motor. And it isn't even a Ford product. A rod bent at 333K miles. He is rebuilding the motor He sent me pictures of the cylinders. Regular oil changes with dino. I apologize in advance for going out of bounds by comparing a crude, pathetic Chevy motor to the wonders in our cars. On the other hand, maybe all this oil analysis discussion is nonsense as long as it is changed regularly.
      Sincerely,
      Tom
      08 XC90 V8 - Hers
      07 S80 V8 - Shared

I recall several years ago when reading Edmund's long-term test of the 2008 Cadillac CTS (and a few other GM vehicles) that "recommended" (fancy way of saying GM was paid) using Mobile1 oil. The conclusion was they all had oil consumption issues. Switching to a different brand (can't recall which) made the problem go away. I've seen reference to Mobile1 oil consumption in various other vehicles in other forums over the years, as well. It's been enough for me to steer clear of using it. Since the last oil change in my '06 V8 was Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic, I have yet to get the low oil message in a timespan that I did with the last oil I was using. I'll probably stick to using it in the Volvo, and I'll use it when I change the oil in the Lincoln soon. I gotta keep those twin turbos happy...
      2006 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, Touring, Convenience and RSE. Silver w/ Graphite
      2014 Lincoln MKT EcoBoost Elite, Tech, Pano, 20Ē, Rear Captains. Pearl/Black
      Past: 2008 XC90 V8 w/ Climate, BLIS, Dynaudio, Bi-Xenon. Ember black w/ Sandstone
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD 7-Passenger w/ Climate, Premium and Versatility packages and Xenon headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
      I recall several years ago when reading Edmund's long-term test of the 2008 Cadillac CTS (and a few other GM vehicles) that "recommended" (fancy way of saying GM was paid) using Mobile1 oil. The conclusion was they all had oil consumption issues. Switching to a different brand (can't recall which) made the problem go away. I've seen reference to Mobile1 oil consumption in various other vehicles in other forums over the years, as well. It's been enough for me to steer clear of using it. Since the last oil change in my '06 V8 was Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic, I have yet to get the low oil message in a timespan that I did with the last oil I was using. I'll probably stick to using it in the Volvo, and I'll use it when I change the oil in the Lincoln soon. I gotta keep those twin turbos happy...
      My experience has been completely opposite with M1. Very little, or no oil consumption..... even with the 1995 945 turbo, which kinda should be burning oil as it's got a 25 year old turbo on it!

The Pennzoil Euro Platinum seems to be quite good. It's "approved" buy Fiat-Chrysler (which means Pennzoil paid them an arm and leg to get the made-up specification). I run it in my wife's turbo Fiat 500X, and can't complain whatsoever. Little spendy, though.

-Ryan
      Too many cars...
      1987 Volvo 245
      1989 Volvo 245
      1991 Volvo 745 Dog Waggin' 2.0
      1995 Volvo 945 Turbo
      2011 Volvo XC90 3.2 AWD
      2013 Volvo XC60 3.2 AWD (Wife-mobile)

Our current Wal*Mart flyer has Castrol Syntech and Syntech HM on sale 5 qt jug for $25.00
      John C
      ---------------------

so just figure Iíd update this. I made it on the second castrol change with no indicator. Iím gunna stick with that from here on out in the V8.
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles

so just figure Iíd update this. I made it on the second castrol change with no indicator. Iím gunna stick with that from here on out in the V8.
      I take any post about oil with a grain of salt without a posting of the weight or version. It was asked before, what weight and version oil are you talking about?

I use M1 0W-40 in the 3.2 with zero oil consumption and I also use it because it has great anti-wear additives. Then tried 5 different synthetics in an XC90 2.5t (M1 0W-40 & 5W-30, Castrol 0W-40 & 5W-40, Royal Purple 5W-30) and the best year round synthetic of those was the Castrol 0W-40 which had the best balance of starting in below freezing cold and limiting oil consumption when hot.

I take any post about oil with a grain of salt without a posting of the weight or version. It was asked before, what weight and version oil are you talking about?

I use M1 0W-40 in the 3.2 with zero oil consumption and I also use it because it has great anti-wear additives. Then tried 5 different synthetics in an XC90 2.5t (M1 0W-40 & 5W-30, Castrol 0W-40 & 5W-40, Royal Purple 5W-30) and the best year round synthetic of those was the Castrol 0W-40 which had the best balance of starting in below freezing cold and limiting oil consumption when hot.
      . Sorry, castrol edge 5w30. FWIW, I had no consumption issues in the 3.2 until around 170k and I used M1 5w30 in that from 60k on.
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles

I don't know too much about the history of mine because it had 112K miles when I got it, but I went for about 2 years and never had to add an ounce of oil between changes. The first time I tried Castrol High Mileage 5W-30 (not sure what flavor it was) I got the oil warning light after about 2500 miles. It completely freaked me out as I'd never seen it before. Over the last 25K miles it has worked up to about a quart every 1200 miles. Ive tried several synthetics and semi-synthetics, I think all high mileage and all 5W-30. My last change was to standard Castrol 5W-30 dino oil. Too soon to tell.

Do I really need the 5W rating? (Probably so since it ticks on cold starts). I'm tempted to try 10W-40 for the summer.
      Last edited by John C; 02-27-2019 at 09:34 PM.
      John C
      ---------------------

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast