What did you pay for clear bra (paint protection film) ?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What did you pay for clear bra (paint protection film) ?

I'm going to get clear bra on the entire hood, the front quarter panels, and probably the doors up to the crease. It's not going to be super cheap but I don't want to get ripped off obviously. What did you all pay if you have had clear bra put on your XC90?
      2019 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I do installs, expect to pay around 1500-2k depending on mirrors and headlights. Location is the biggest factor, upscale areas vs rural the price point in labor will vary a lot. Also worth a note to make sure you get Grade A films like Suntek, Prestige Films, Xpel Ultimate or Stek. I have personally not dealt with 3m so I can't comment.

I currently have Xpel Ultimate on my S7 and Sunteks ultimate on my S60R, both front ends completely done.

Always recommend doing all heavy contact areas.

Front Bumper
      Hood
      Fenders
      A pillars to sunroof
      Door handles
      Bumper Tailgate
      Last edited by The Driver; 10-29-2018 at 09:35 AM.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

I had Xpel Ultimate put on our XC90.

Detailer did paint decon, correction, film and then Nanolex Si3D HD ceramic coating to all painted and filmed surfaces along with removing the wheels and coating the face and inner-barrel along with the calipers.

Areas covered with PPF
      Full hood
      Full front bumper
      Full front quarter panels
      A Pillars
      Roof infront of sunroof
      Mirror caps
      Headlights
      Door cups
      Lower Doors to the crease
      B Pillars (these always get swirled so it's totally worth having them covered)
      Lower portion of rear quarter panel behind the wheels

We paid $3500
      '18 XC90 Inscription
      Crystal White, Maroon Brown, 4C, B&W, Convenience, 21" 8 Spoke Wheels, P*

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I bought xpel pre cut kit did it myself for $400. Half hood bumper fender a pillar and sunroof. Took 8 hrs and weeks for all bubbles to clear. I enjoyed doing it.
      Sid
      2019 Volvo XC90 T6 OSD
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10
      2012 Ducati Diavel

I would recommend PFF 3M Pro to be used, and we had this done on our MY2019 XC90 T6. Focus was mostly on front and front sides as that's where most of the damage would come to.

Areas covered with PPF:
      Full hood
      Full front bumper
      Full front fenders
      Side mirrors
      Door cups (most people have rings on fingers which scratch)

Also had Ceramic Pro applied to whole body and glass. Will see how this works out after 2-5 years.
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription AWD, Denim Blue, Premium Plus Package, B&W, 4-C Air, Charcoal Headliner, 21" 8-Spoke Silver Diamond Cut Alloy Wheel + Polestar + 3M Pro + Ceramic Pro
      2010 Honda Civic
      1998 Honda Civic SI
      1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Sidwin View Post
      I bought xpel pre cut kit did it myself for $400. Half hood bumper fender a pillar and sunroof. Took 8 hrs and weeks for all bubbles to clear. I enjoyed doing it.
      +1
      DIY route for me as well.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

I had Xpel installed for front, partial hood and mirrors for $750.

I had front bumper, 25% of the hood and the front part of the fenders done by a pro for $650.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

I just had full hood, front bumper including the grey lip, headlights, fog lights, partial front fenders, strip across roof above windshield, door cups, doglegs, and trunk, and side mirrors. I paid $1590. I’m actually taking it back tomorrow though bc I have a white car and parts are getting dirt behind them almost like a phone case.

Ceramic Pro - Silver Package - Car - $1000.00
      1 layer of 9h paint coating Glass Shield

1 layer of Light on paint

1 layer of Plastic on plastic

1 layer of Rain on windshield and front side windows
      1 layer of Wheel & Caliper on wheel faces"

XPEL - Clear Bra Full Kit - $1700
      Covered areas:

Full Hood (Wrapped)
      Bumper
      Full Front Fenders

Side Mirrors
      Door Cups
      Lights

If you are near Carlsbad CA, 5 Point Auto Spa just opened a new branch there and are offering 15% off services (tinting excluded) until the end of November. Tell them Ron sent you

So far, i like the work they have done on my 2019 XC90 R-Design.

You go back after 14 days when the curing is set and they will do your 1st car wash and show you how to care of the ppf/ceramic coat.

Quote Originally Posted by captastic12 View Post
      I just had full hood, front bumper including the grey lip, headlights, fog lights, partial front fenders, strip across roof above windshield, door cups, doglegs, and trunk, and side mirrors. I paid $1590. I’m actually taking it back tomorrow though bc I have a white car and parts are getting dirt behind them almost like a phone case.
      JFYI this is an issue with white and PPF if the edges of the film aren't wrapped around the edge/back of the panel so it's out of sight. There will be slight dirt build up but it's really only noticeable on white cars. The worst is when people only get a partial hood and aren't careful when washing or applying wax if they don't have a coating. They usually cake the edge with wax and it starts to get really dirty looking.

Our vehicle is white and there are a few spots where I have this issue, particularly on the bottom door panel edges. Most people don't notice it until you point it out, and even then you have to be a foot or two from the vehicle. My other car is a Metallic Gray color and has had PPF on it for almost 2 years. I can't see anything on any of the edges. So my lesson that I've learned is if you want to PPF a car, make sure it's not white or if it has to be white, pay and have the panels removed and fully wrapped around the back.
      '18 XC90 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by xoneal201x View Post
      Ceramic Pro - Silver Package - Car - $1000.00
      1 layer of 9h paint coating Glass Shield

1 layer of Light on paint

1 layer of Plastic on plastic

1 layer of Rain on windshield and front side windows
      1 layer of Wheel & Caliper on wheel faces"

XPEL - Clear Bra Full Kit - $1700
      Covered areas:

Full Hood (Wrapped)
      Bumper
      Full Front Fenders

Side Mirrors
      Door Cups
      Lights

If you are near Carlsbad CA, 5 Point Auto Spa just opened a new branch there and are offering 15% off services (tinting excluded) until the end of November. Tell them Ron sent you

So far, i like the work they have done on my 2019 XC90 R-Design.

You go back after 14 days when the curing is set and they will do your 1st car wash and show you how to care of the ppf/ceramic coat.
      Ceramic coating is pretty easy to apply to a new car - just need to do a thorough clean first, the application itself takes less than an hour. $1000 seems excessive, since most good-quality ceramic products are ~$70-80 for a two car supply.

In my experience, SUV's are not affected by road rash nearly as bad as sedans/coupes, since the body is a lot higher off the ground. Doing a full hood wrap is probably an overkill. Of course if you have OCD and even a single tiny rock chip bothers you (or you simply hate to see the film edge running across the hood), than it's certainly worth it
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      Ceramic coating is pretty easy to apply to a new car - just need to do a thorough clean first, the application itself takes less than an hour. $1000 seems excessive, since most good-quality ceramic products are ~$70-80 for a two car supply.

In my experience, SUV's are not affected by road rash nearly as bad as sedans/coupes, since the body is a lot higher off the ground. Doing a full hood wrap is probably an overkill. Of course if you have OCD and even a single tiny rock chip bothers you (or you simply hate to see the film edge running across the hood), than it's certainly worth it
      Your paying for the polishing/correction + Prep and skill. The Coating self takes 3-4 hours depending on which system and product flash conditions.

Your also paying for warranty and knowledge, EVERY good installer should educate you on how to maintain he vehicles appearance.

As far as full panels or partial, the price isn't that big of a difference and eventually there will be a piece of debris that will get caught on partial wrapped panels. Completely wrapped panels look far better, last longer and provide better color uniformity on light cars.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40

Anyone have any recommendations for the NYC/NJ area to get this done? I've reached out to a few people I found on Yelp and not entirely sure of their work.

I'm in Long Island if your up for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ramainli View Post
      Anyone have any recommendations for the NYC/NJ area to get this done? I've reached out to a few people I found on Yelp and not entirely sure of their work.
      Detailers Domain. Phil has done a ton of Volvo products since there is a Volvo facility right around the corner from him.
      https://www.detailersdomain.com/
      '18 XC90 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Your paying for the polishing/correction + Prep and skill. The Coating self takes 3-4 hours depending on which system and product flash conditions.

Your also paying for warranty and knowledge, EVERY good installer should educate you on how to maintain he vehicles appearance.

As far as full panels or partial, the price isn't that big of a difference and eventually there will be a piece of debris that will get caught on partial wrapped panels. Completely wrapped panels look far better, last longer and provide better color uniformity on light cars.
      LOL, ceramic coating takes 4 hours to apply?. Flashing takes 30-45sec in warm weather. Working in 2x2 sections I got all three of my Volvos done in less than 2 hours myself and I am not a pro detailer. Polishing and correction is another story and does take time, depending on the condition of the paint. If the car is brand new, it should be less than an hour though (with appropriate tools). Most ceramic coatings last about a year, despite what they may claim. Personally, I would never pay $1000/year for this
      past:

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
      What did you all pay if you have had clear bra put on your XC90?
      I bought two rolls of 3M Scotchgard Pro film enough to do the entire XC90 (fresh from OSD, so no paint correction needed!) and an entire sedan for $1700, but I'm doing the labor myself. I'm slow though with a family, 3 weeks over nights/weekends and 75% done on the XC90. Paying someone else to do the entire XC90 would be at least $8000, and the sedan probably another $7000 . . .
      Ceramic coating materials is <$100 but again I'm doing it myself.
      I think I have OCD and am a cheapo . . .
      Last edited by likeXC90; 10-31-2018 at 06:13 AM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

LOL, ceramic coating takes 4 hours to apply?. Flashing takes 30-45sec in warm weather. Working in 2x2 sections I got all three of my Volvos done in less than 2 hours myself and I am not a pro detailer. Polishing and correction is another story and does take time, depending on the condition of the paint. If the car is brand new, it should be less than an hour though (with appropriate tools). Most ceramic coatings last about a year, despite what they may claim. Personally, I would never pay $1000/year for this
      I do this professionally, your completely wrong or using a horrible product.

Flashing takes 15-20 minutes per panel depending on humidity and temp plus a 1-2 hour set time between coats. I use a 2 part system, I have no clue what your using. As far as brand new car, you've got to be kidding me.. you mean an hour to correct? You sound like a typical internet know it all. Please go to any professional detailer who is a certified installer and tell them that, I'd pay to see the reactions.

Average size vehicle takes a minimum of 8 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
      What did you all pay if you have had clear bra put on your XC90?
      I bought two rolls of 3M Scotchgard Pro film enough to do the entire XC90 (fresh from OSD, so no paint correction needed!) and an entire sedan for $1700, but I'm doing the labor myself. I'm slow though with a family, 3 weeks over nights/weekends and 75% done on the XC90. Paying someone else to do the entire XC90 would be at least $8000, and the sedan probably another $7000 . . .
      Ceramic coating materials is <$100 but again I'm doing it myself.
      I think I have OCD and am a cheapo . . .
      $4k is what I heard to do entire car.
      Sid
      2019 Volvo XC90 T6 OSD
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10
      2012 Ducati Diavel

I seal my car every 2 months. It beads the water and takes me an hr to do. I haven’t understood the point of opti coatings cars. If u get a scratch and have to wet sand a panel u screwed. God forbid u have to get a panel repainted. My paint guy said that’s more info he needs to properly sand and prep a panel for paint work.
      Sid
      2019 Volvo XC90 T6 OSD
      2007 Porsche 911 Turbo
      2004 Dodge Viper SRT-10
      2012 Ducati Diavel

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      I do this professionally, your completely wrong or using a horrible product.

Flashing takes 15-20 minutes per panel depending on humidity and temp plus a 1-2 hour set time between coats. I use a 2 part system, I have no clue what your using. As far as brand new car, you've got to be kidding me.. you mean an hour to correct? You sound like a typical internet know it all. Please go to any professional detailer who is a certified installer and tell them that, I'd pay to see the reactions.

Average size vehicle takes a minimum of 8 hours.
      No, I don't pretend to be "internet know it all". However, as a PhD scientist that I am, I always do my research before trying a new technology or product. I am fully aware that anyone can buy into hype, waste enormous amount of time and $$$ on snake oil products and services, when simpler, less expensive solutions exist.

The product I used on my cars was BlackFire Pro Ceramic, purchased for $70 from Autogeek. I can't compare this product to GYEON and other popular ceramic coatings, but it is certainly doesn't seem to be "horrible", as evidenced by the results and pro detailer reviews. When I was coating my cars, I tried my best to follow the directions carefully, having watched most of their detailing videos. Flashing time for this product is specified as 45sec to 1min, regardless of ambient temperature and humidity. If it is left to flash for 20 min, hardened high spots will have to be removed with a polisher, defeating the purpose of the entire process. Similarly, majority of ceramic coatings from other manufacturers take a few minutes to flash in warm weather.

As for new car detailing - 99% of the population is unable to appreciate the results of 8 hours of detailing on a car that had no visible swirl marks or other blemishes to begin with. I am sure that will not prevent suckers with time and money to spend doing it every day.
      past:

No, I don't pretend to be "internet know it all". However, as a PhD scientist that I am, I always do my research before trying a new technology or product. I am fully aware that anyone can buy into hype, waste enormous amount of time and $$$ on snake oil products and services, when simpler, less expensive solutions exist.
      I'm not a PhD, I'm a highly educated individual who does this as a profession.

As a PHD I would expect you not lob everything into one category. Are some snake oil, yes and there are plenty of great products that are worth their salt. Are there less expensive options yes, do they provide the protection of a coating, no.

The product I used on my cars was BlackFire Pro Ceramic, purchased for $70 from Autogeek. I can't compare this product to GYEON and other popular ceramic coatings, but it is certainly doesn't seem to be "horrible", as evidenced by the results and pro detailer reviews. When I was coating my cars, I tried my best to follow the directions carefully, having watched most of their detailing videos. Flashing time for this product is specified as 45sec to 1min, regardless of ambient temperature and humidity.
      Again, not the product I'm using and this is a single part coating. What "other manufacturers" are these, almost all pro level coatings are 2 part or 2+ layer and do react differently. Nano Lex SI3D for example is a 2 layer and flashes very fast (Within 15 minutes an must be completely leveled and 2nd layer applied) where as Car-pro Finest is also a 2 Layer and must be gapped an hour apart and flash time is about 3-5 minutes. I use IGL which is a 2 Part system with 2 interlocking coatings that react with each other and the flash time varies between levels of heat an humidity and he 2nd part can't be applied for an 1-2 hours. They are not all the same.

As far as general coatings and temperature, again there are different coatings made for different temps. Even Carpro realized this, when CQUK was made, it was made for the purpose of flashing quicker for lower temp climates (Hence the name).

If it is left to flash for 20 min, hardened high spots will have to be removed with a polisher, defeating the purpose of the entire process.
      Yes, and if a second layer of a 2 part system is applied too early it will not only smear but will not level right. Also, defeating the purpose of the entire process.
      Similarly, majority of ceramic coatings from other manufacturers take a few minutes to flash in warm weather.
      They are not all the same, again some take minutes some take 15-20 minutes again per panel. This is not the fastest process, especially compared to sealants.
      As for new car detailing - 99% of the population is unable to appreciate the results of 8 hours of detailing on a car that had no visible swirl marks or other blemishes to begin with. I am sure that will not prevent suckers with time and money to spend doing it every day.
      I think your taking a poor approach to this, it's about pride, enjoyment, protection and ease of use. These vehicles are not cheap purchases, most of my clients are hardworking people who enjoy their vehicles and want to really really get the most out of them. As far as falling into the category of sucker, that's the difference with great detailers and people who just do it to get paid. ALL the best detailers I know educate their clients on what they should expect and how to maintain the appearance of a vehicle.

Funny, because the people you would think don't care about this stuff really do. One of my clients notices a good amount but his wife notices far more, even mentioned how now she always see's swirls on all of her friends cars! Not everyone is of the opinion you are.

For the people who are wondering or are on the fence. What the price of a professional "Certified" Detailer is covering is..
      (Most brands have certified installers, you can check their websites for a directory of local approved installers)

The installer is capable of.
      Proper polishing job were almost all defects will be removed before the coating is applied.
      Making sure the surface is prepped perfect and the coating is leveled perfect (No high spots)
      Education on the product + all products in the line that will help maintain the appearance.
      Warranty Coverage

Edit: For anyone seriously considering this, I'd refer you to Autopia.org or the Folks over at Autogeek.net
      These sites have an enormous user base filled with the best the best. Truly some of the most talented folks and people who really care about the end result.
      Last edited by The Driver; 11-01-2018 at 02:25 PM.

I understand you are defensive because that's what you do. I am not here to start a fight - just providing alternative point of view based on my own personal experience. All I can honestly say is that I am happy with what I have been able to accomplish myself (not a pro) in a couple of hours for under $100. We put ~1000 miles/mo on each of our three Volvos, and have realistic expectations of the finish longevity. I understand that (for whatever reason) this may not be the case for someone who is willing to spend $1000 on a ceramic coating. I guess they are more proud of their cars than me

BTW, I know that that there are dozens of products on the market that have different formulations and application protocols. It's a business targeted at a certain segment of the population, just like any other - fancy cell phone cases for teenage girls, for example. Please feel free to educate me with any hard evidence that directly correlates the amount of time and money spent on a ceramic coating with its performance and longevity, hence justifying the extra expense and effort to apply. Blinded, 2-3 year long, real-life wear test would work, using your favorite 2+ step coating applied by a pro detailer vs Black Fire Pro 1-step (or any similar quality equivalent) applied by a regular schmoe capable of following simple instructions. Not a subjective/biased test, sponsored by the coating manufacturer, obviously. I would gladly re-evaluate my point of view, if the findings support it.
      past:

Interesting discussion on spray-type coating.

One more thing I want to add on clear film is that for headlight and foglight lenses, they have thicker films available. They range around 20 to 40 mil thick, and I usually prefer the 40mil. Here's how a 40mil look like, although I'm not sure whether it is easy to see in the picture:

Heat application helps the installation a bit more on this one than the thinner ones marketed for body panel protection.

In contrast, this one is 8 mil (I've seen something as thick as 12mil in the past, but it seems rather rare), and you can see how much it forms pleats because it is more flexible.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

I understand you are defensive because that's what you do. I am not here to start a fight - just providing alternative point of view based on my own personal experience. All I can honestly say is that I am happy with what I have been able to accomplish myself (not a pro) in a couple of hours for under $100. We put ~1000 miles/mo on each of our three Volvos, and have realistic expectations of the finish longevity. I understand that (for whatever reason) this may not be the case for someone who is willing to spend $1000 on a ceramic coating. I guess they are more proud of their cars than me

BTW, I know that that there are dozens of products on the market that have different formulations and application protocols. It's a business targeted at a certain segment of the population, just like any other - fancy cell phone cases for teenage girls, for example. Please feel free to educate me with any hard evidence that directly correlates the amount of time and money spent on a ceramic coating with its performance and longevity, hence justifying the extra expense and effort to apply. Blinded, 2-3 year long, real-life wear test would work, using your favorite 2+ step coating applied by a pro detailer vs Black Fire Pro 1-step (or any similar quality equivalent) applied by a regular schmoe capable of following simple instructions. Not a subjective/biased test, sponsored by the coating manufacturer, obviously. I would gladly re-evaluate my point of view, if the findings support it.
      Well, I'm definitely not sponsored by a particular company. I just carry what I feel is the best for my target market.

These are some, there are many many other threads I just don't have them bookmarked.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-d...-included.html

This is why my preference is IGL.
      https://www.autopia.org/forums/detai...tml?highlight=

Real world test is my own DD which is basic physical material test, I purposely high spotted my roof with CQUK 2.0 in Mar.2014 an the material is still visible. Be aware that coating material will last 2-5 years depending on which one.Most do loose hydrophobic properties after a year if not refreshed with a Topper like Car-pro reload, IGL premier etc.

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements