Itinerary input needed
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Itinerary input needed

While (im)patiently waiting for my order confirmation, I've been working on an itinerary for the upcoming family OSD trip. Trusting that my requested delivery date will be confirmed, here are my thoughts:

Sunday, March 24 - Arrive & Volvo dinner.

Mon- Volvo delivery, factory & museum tour. Drive north toward Lacko Apparently, this is Waffle Day. Seems to be a big thing in Sweden? any thoughts??

Tues- Lacko to Oslo. Considered Scandic Byporten hotel after searching for accommodations that meet the criteria - sleeps 4, near rail station, garage parking.

Wed- Rail to Bergen w. fjord tour (the pics I have seen of the scenery really make me want to risk a 7 hour train trip with 2 kids) overnight in Bergen.

Thurs- Bergen & flight back to Oslo. (Cant put my kids & wife through another long travel day.) Board night ferry to Fredrickshavn Denmark. It's my birthday!

Fri- To Billund for Lego House. Overnight there.

Sat- It's a toss-up here. - Best I can tell, this may be opening day for Legoland. Kids would love it but I know that is something we can do stateside. Alternatively, head towards copenhagen. I don't have any plans for Copenhagen but want to make the Oresund bridge part of the journey.

Sun. - Head back towards Gothenburg. Overnight back in Got.

Mon - Return to FDC in a.m. & catch a flight.

Had thoughts of doing a castle stay overnight somewhere. Anyone have suggestions?
      Last edited by anotherwillsmith; 11-07-2018 at 02:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It seems a bit rushed to me, but I like to take my time and enjoy the trip and the views. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun.

I've done the train from Oslo to Bergen in April and it was boringly white most of the trip. Most of the pictures you've seen were probably taken during summer time, when the snow recedes. Having said that, if the weather helps, the views can be fantastic. If you want to see what the trip looks like in the spring, search for "slow tv bergen to oslo" in youtube. Warning: it is an 8h video....

If you fly out of Bergen, you will see an example of the Norwegian humor on the mountain right across from the Bergen Airport Terminal:

2018 XC90 T8 AWD Momentum Plus, Denim Blue, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2005 S60 2.5T AWD (OSD) Platinum Green, Premium, Convenience, Climate, Bi-Xenon, etc
      Previous:
      2016 XC90 T6 AWD (OSD) Momentum Plus, Magic Blue, vision, convenience, air suspension, B&W, HUD, etc
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD (gone but not forgotten)

That is a concern I have - I donít want to feel rushed from one place to another but I also want to take advantage of my time. Thatís always a fine line for me..

To throw a wrench in things, I received my order confirmation package today - they have me scheduled for delivery on the 27th, not the 25th as I requested. That scraps this plan completely because I canít easily adjust my days off. Iíll still plan to arrive on Sunday but wonít have the car until Wednesday.. back to the drawing board.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Based on our travels European distances between places is less and we tend to think we can cover that distance like we can here but it always turns out (at least for us) that it takes longer than what you think. We sometimes get too aggressive with the planing piece of a trip and have found we spend too much time driving and not enough time enjoying and relaxing. Just food for thought....
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Just a thought....You could request to fly into Oslo, stay a day or two, then still take the train to Bergen and fly on to GOT, pick up your new ride and head for Copenhagen. I would think that Volvo would cover all the flights. Good Luck with your planning!

Quote Originally Posted by 85249AZ View Post
      Just a thought....You could request to fly into Oslo, stay a day or two, then still take the train to Bergen and fly on to GOT, pick up your new ride and head for Copenhagen. I would think that Volvo would cover all the flights. Good Luck with your planning!
      This!

I wish I had known this when I booked my trip because we had a mid-week pick up too. We landed in GOT in Saturday night and took a bus to Oslo first thing in the morning.

Also you can schedule to have the driver pick you up a little later if needed for your delivery. We got to the FDC just before 9am and had a ton of time to kill right after doing paper work right until lunch at 11:15 and the factory tour at noon. We saw others come in a little before lunch. So that way if you want to fly back in the early morning of your deliver, you have that option.

The train and bus terminal is RIGHT across Clarion, so traveling through Northern Europe before you get your car would be ideal via train or bus if needed. We did a 3 hour bus ride to Oslo. With WiFi on board, the ride went by quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 85249AZ View Post
      Similarly, I had considered flying to Bergen. Then train-tripping to Got. This would be too much back-to-back travel for the family I think. With others commenting on the opinion that this might be the wrong time of the year to really enjoy the Bergen rail trip, I may scrap the Norway leg altogether. Here's my new thoughts since my requested delivery date could not be met-

Sun- Arrive in Stockholm
      Mon- Stockholm
      Tues-Train from Stockholm to Gothenburg. Check in @ Clarion Post & Norda Dinner.
      Wed- FDC. Delivery, complete with winter tire rental. Another night at Clarion Post.
      Thurs-Head south to Copenhagen.
      Fri- Continue through Denmark toward Billund
      Sat- Legoland
      Sun-North to Fredrickshavn.
      Mon-Ferry to Gothenburg. & return car. one more night in gothenburg
      Tues-flight back home.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherwillsmith View Post
      Similarly, I had considered flying to Bergen. Then train-tripping to Got. This would be too much back-to-back travel for the family I think. With others commenting on the opinion that this might be the wrong time of the year to really enjoy the Bergen rail trip, I may scrap the Norway leg altogether. Here's my new thoughts since my requested delivery date could not be met-

Sun- Arrive in Stockholm
      Mon- Stockholm
      Tues-Train from Stockholm to Gothenburg. Check in @ Clarion Post & Norda Dinner.
      Wed- FDC. Delivery, complete with winter tire rental. Another night at Clarion Post.
      Thurs-Head south to Copenhagen.
      Fri- Continue through Denmark toward Billund
      Sat- Legoland
      Sun-North to Fredrickshavn.
      Mon-Ferry to Gothenburg. & return car. one more night in gothenburg
      Tues-flight back home.
      That sounds like a reasonable travel schedule now. Please remember that since you are going in March, you might need to rent winter tires for your travel in and around Sweden & Denmark.

While in Copenhagen, do not miss Den Bla Planet, National Aquarium Denmark... Great fun for both younger and older folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Projection_Design View Post
      That sounds like a reasonable travel schedule now. Please remember that since you are going in March, you might need to rent winter tires for your travel in and around Sweden & Denmark.

While in Copenhagen, do not miss Den Bla Planet, National Aquarium Denmark... Great fun for both younger and older folks.
      thanks for the tip!

Firming my plans up here-

Sun, March 24- Arrive in Stockholm
      Mon -2nd night in Stockholm
      Tues-Train to Gothenburg. Norda Dinner. Overnight @ Clarion Post.
      Wed - Volvo delivery & drive to Copenhagen. Overnight in Copenhagen
      Thurs- Full day & 2nd night in Copenhagen.
      Fri- Copenhagen/Drive to Billund. Overnight in Billund
      Sat- All things Lego. 2nd night in Billund.
      Sun- Drive north to Frederikshavn to catch afternoon ferry back to GOT. Overnight in Gothenburg. Alternatively, drive south to Kiel to catch overnight Ferry.
      Mon-Gothenburg. Return car to FDC. Last night in Sweden
      Tues-Fly home.

Questions-
      After the Volvo experience - Would it be possible to make it to Copenhagen before dark or thoughts on a place to stay in southern Sweden? Hoping for daylight crossing Oresund but I don't want to rush the time at Volvo.

Thoughts on the ferry back to Gothenburg? Kiel seems to be closer to Billund so I would have all day to enjoy the drive & get to the ferry for the 5:45 departure on Sunday. Plus we'd have a cabin on the ferry for the night. If I chose to the 5:30 Frederickshavn ferry that would put me arriving in Gothenburg at midnight & checking in late to the hotel. If i took the earlier ferry I feel like I'd be rushed to get there.. ??

Quote Originally Posted by anotherwillsmith View Post
      Firming my plans up here-

Sun, March 24- Arrive in Stockholm
      Mon -2nd night in Stockholm
      Tues-Train to Gothenburg. Norda Dinner. Overnight @ Clarion Post.
      Wed - Volvo delivery & drive to Copenhagen. Overnight in Copenhagen
      Thurs- Full day & 2nd night in Copenhagen.
      Fri- Copenhagen/Drive to Billund. Overnight in Billund
      Sat- All things Lego. 2nd night in Billund.
      Sun- Drive north to Frederikshavn to catch afternoon ferry back to GOT. Overnight in Gothenburg. Alternatively, drive south to Kiel to catch overnight Ferry.
      Mon-Gothenburg. Return car to FDC. Last night in Sweden
      Tues-Fly home.

Questions-
      After the Volvo experience - Would it be possible to make it to Copenhagen before dark or thoughts on a place to stay in southern Sweden? Hoping for daylight crossing Oresund but I don't want to rush the time at Volvo.

Thoughts on the ferry back to Gothenburg? Kiel seems to be closer to Billund so I would have all day to enjoy the drive & get to the ferry for the 5:45 departure on Sunday. Plus we'd have a cabin on the ferry for the night. If I chose to the 5:30 Frederickshavn ferry that would put me arriving in Gothenburg at midnight & checking in late to the hotel. If i took the earlier ferry I feel like I'd be rushed to get there.. ??
      Sounds like a great trip! An unrushed FDC experience will put you out the door at approximately 2PM. You should be able to make Copenhagen with 3.5 hours of driving if you don't stop too much along the way. There are websites out there where you can plug in the date and location and it will give you the time of sunset so you can gauge from there regarding feasibility. Highway driving in Sweden was pretty easy.

As to the ferry question, Billund looks about equi-distant from either ferry port, Googlemaps gives about a 15-20M edge to Kiel so that is splitting hairs at that point. I would think you could easily make the 2PM sailing from Fredrikshavn, but even if you get the 5:30 you get in at 21:00 not midnight, its only a 3.5 hour crossing. I would lean towards this route vs Kiel ferry as I would rather sleep in a regular hotel in an interesting city vs a moving ferry cabin any day. But ultimately its your preference.
      2019 T-6 AWD Polestar, Denim Blue/Maroon Brown (OSD Sept 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      Based on our travels European distances between places is less and we tend to think we can cover that distance like we can here but it always turns out (at least for us) that it takes longer than what you think. We sometimes get too aggressive with the planing piece of a trip and have found we spend too much time driving and not enough time enjoying and relaxing. Just food for thought....
      I figured it took us about 2x the google maps time estimate. Everything took longer -- including rest stops.
      2012 S60 T5 Vibrant Copper/Beechwood, Premium, heated seats, front/rear park assist. Via OSD (April 2012). All-Weather Mats and Mud Guards added at delivery, LED License plate lights once at home.

3,000 miles in 6 countries over 21 days during OSD.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements