Brakes on S90 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brakes on S90

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      Coming from a generation where "riding the brakes" was a big no-no, I downshift a lot. My justification--most specifically for my leased MB--is that worn brake pads and rotors are not covered under warranty but transmissions are. Volvo warranty different??
      You are right, it is no different. Brakes are wear and tear items not covered but a lot of folks have gotten warped rotors covered because they in effect "failed" prematurely or run out is out of spec.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am in the middle of a horror show with my v90. The previous owner had the front rotors replaced 4k miles ago. They are clearly warped now. Any braking at 50 miles an hour they pulse like crazy. This car is under warranty and I've been back twice. I've heard there is a service bulletin about this.

Why has it been back twice for this without them replacing the pads and rotors?
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Any T8 owners have any long term experience with Not so Excessive Brake Wear? I tend to keep a little distance for just coasting and regen, but then the first 80% of braking effort is regen on the T8, and then harder pressure results in brake pad usage. I don't know if ACC/PA use brake pads to manage because .. why wouldn't it use regen as well. Should I expect long or at least longer brake life?

wow, I can't believe how garbage of brakes Volvo is putting on their cars from the factory. it seem like every other thread on this forum is about rotors being warped under 20k miles or needing brake replacement at a similar mileage. Rule of thumb on all other cars is brakes front brakes should last about 50k miles, and rears should last about 80k miles; that is why the 50k mile service is general the first major service for any car (brakes, tires, transfluid change, air filter, etc.).

I buy the wagner powder coated rotors so they don't rust on the non braking surfaces and use either akebono or powerstop cermaic pads to avoid brake dust on my rims. never had an issue with warping rotors or premature pad wear with these brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellingar88 View Post
      wow, I can't believe how garbage of brakes Volvo is putting on their cars from the factory. it seem like every other thread on this forum is about rotors being warped under 20k miles or needing brake replacement at a similar mileage. Rule of thumb on all other cars is brakes front brakes should last about 50k miles, and rears should last about 80k miles; that is why the 50k mile service is general the first major service for any car (brakes, tires, transfluid change, air filter, etc.).

I buy the wagner powder coated rotors so they don't rust on the non braking surfaces and use either akebono or powerstop cermaic pads to avoid brake dust on my rims. never had an issue with warping rotors or premature pad wear with these brands.
      Forget made in China Wagner.
      Get high carbon rotors from Zimmerman
      https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...erman-31471752

S90 '18 T5.
      front brakes fully replaced at 7000.
      rears being replaced now, dunno yet if pads or full. 9000.
      That's why I lease.
      Also steering wheel module.
      Intellisense cowl, intermittent rattle.
      Exterior leak on drivers side. Time will tell.

My suspicion is that it is the Adaptive Cruise Control / Lane assist that are to blame for the short brake life.

I've noticed that when in use this system applies the brakes all the time, it never allows the car to coast down to the desired speed like a human driver would.

Both because of fuel economy and due brake wear I just don't use the systems anymore. It is a shame, because the tech is pretty cool.

Adaptive Cruise Control and Torque Vectoring both can play heavily into brake pad life (and tires).

If you want to be economical, ACC should probably not be used in stop and go traffic.

ACC will allow the car to coast down to the target speed in some situations at highway speed.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

Replaced both front and rear pads and rotors. 9500 miles.
      Front brakes previously done at 5300.
      As stated here, ACC may not be so good for brake parts.
      Even though I have only used it on long trips, perhaps 3000 miles in total.

I just finished replacing pads in front and rear. Here are a few highlights:

Front pads are a bliss, very easy and straight forward to do.
      Front rotors had hardly any wear present, less than 0.5mm, I'd guess 0.35-0.4mm (in about 15k miles)

Rear pads are easy if you power the brake pad motor, a 9V battery didn't do it for me...luckily, I had a 12V, 1.2A battery that worked like a charm!
      Other than the fact of having to retract the pad motor, it is very easy to get this done.
      Rear rotors are still the originals, they have about 27k miles and had a wear of just over 0.5mm, closer to 0.6mm...not worth changing, as recommended by dealer...what a waste of good rotors they do.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

3rd trip to the dealer. First dealer told me front rotors weren't warped after 5k miles. Decided to get another opinion at another dealer. Absolutely brakes are warped. Replaced under warranty. Brakes are perfect now. I have no idea why dealers fight you over warranty issues.

Volvo brakes are utter garbage.

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2