So ... once the ship lands in America, how does it work? Is there any tracking the vehicle en route to my dealer?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

So ... once the ship lands in America, how does it work? Is there any tracking the vehicle en route to my dealer?

Is there any way to see how long it takes to get through customs? Any way to track it on it's way to my dealer? Any ETA on anything?

Thanks
      2019 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm in the throes of this right now, but perhaps a little further along. My XC40 landed at Baltimore on the 12th and cleared through customs in just a day or two. I contacted Volvo and was simply told that the car was loaded and shipped on Wednesday the 14th of November at 22:00 and is en route to the dealer now. Based on everything I've learned, there is no way to track the vehicle anymore.

I had the thought of using Volvo On Call on my phone to see if I could follow the car or anything like that, but again, based on what little I know, that would not work either as location services are only available to the VOC staff and only with cooperation with law enforcement.

From Baltimore to Wisconsin is about 13 hours if you drive straight through. Based on the notion that drivers are limited to 8 hours per day, you'd figure it could be arriving as soon as Friday, November 16th (today). I find it more likely that it'll be arriving next week.

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
      Is there any way to see how long it takes to get through customs? Any way to track it on it's way to my dealer? Any ETA on anything?

Thanks
      Only if you have a proactive salesperson at the dealership. Ours was very helpful with telling us when the car was on a truck and what the ETA was. Car arrived in the morning and we had it late in the afternoon.. YMMV depending on the dealer.
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

As the holidays and the New Year arrive, throughput of vehicles in custom seems to decrease. Also, some ports are closed on selected holidays (e.g., New Year’s Day). Just check the intended port’s schedule on its website for wherever your RoRo ship is destined for your expected drop-off (e.g., Port of Baltimore).

Beyond that, there is no effective way to track your car’s progress within the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 11-19-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Expanded answer
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Thanks
      Q1. No, other than the WW site. Mine took a day(!), others 3+ weeks. Volvo was supposed to implement a different tracking system for the fall but i don't know if that's active now or what exactly changed.
      Q2. No. It's aka the "Black Hole," subject to a 3rd party non-Volvo shipper . . .
      Q3. No. Even if an ETA is provided there is plenty of first-hand stories in this OSD subforum of ETAs come and gone.
      Overall, save your sanity and best to plan for 12 weeks between FDC dropoff and pickup at your dealer. Subforum data seems to support this. Any other dates thrown at you is just distracting noise. Anything sooner than 12 weeks will just be icing on the cake! Good luck exercising patience
      Last edited by likeXC90; 11-18-2018 at 09:08 AM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Thanks
      You haven’t given even a rough clue to where your order would be delivered, that info might help you get a bit more useful info. We live near Seattle, the car was loaded on a ship in Gothenburg, the day after we got it back to the FDC. Then transferred to another ship in Zeebrugge, then two stops in the U.K. to load more cars. Once the car was transferred to the Figaro In Zeebrugge tracking was available until it got out in the Atlantic. Tracking came back on line as the ship approached Baltimore and was continuous as the ship made it’s way through the Panama Canal. Followed the FIGARO until it got to Port Hueneme and the car was offloaded for customs and Volvo processing. Our V90 took 4 weeks to get through Customs. About 10 days after release from Customs the car was delivered to us. Total time from FDC drop to our delivery was 80 days. While the car sat in Port Hueneme there was ZERO information available about progress. No information was available during the trucking to Seattle. Got notified by a phone call from the dealer that they expected the car transporter to arrive on a Tuesday, car was inspected and cleaned on Wednesday, I picked up the following morning.

There is a lot of variables involved, not all of them directly under Volvo control. The 80 day delivery was within the OSD stated guidelines for a West Coast Delivery, but a few days longer than what our FDC rep estimated. If ordering again I would tend to avoid the midsummer shipping across the Atlantic. That seemed to cause a significant delay because of “vacation time” in certain parts of the process.

How do you folks know when your vehicle cleared customs? Is there a website that shows that? Thanks!
      2019 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

How do you folks know when your vehicle cleared customs? Is there a website that shows that? Thanks!
      In my case, we got an email from Barbara that our car had cleared customs, and was awaiting final processing and truck shipment. A week or so after that we got a note from the shipping company that the car was being trucked to Seattle. Release from customs and actual arrival of our V90 in Seattle was exactly two weeks. No tracking during the truck transport.

Yes, there is.

Read the Tracking-Car-to-USA thread for the details.

Funny this should come up today since I just refreshed tracking on the WW site and saw an update:

LINER RELEASE PORT HUENEME, CA 19-11-2018 14:25:24
      CUSTOMS RELEASE PORT HUENEME, CA 19-11-2018 00:00:00
      DISCHARGED PORT HUENEME, CA 15-11-2018 21:36:00 1

So looks like tracking works through customs release. 4 days for customs release including a weekend isn't bad. Assuming this means it is now in Volvo's hands for the last leg?

Scott
      2019 T-6 AWD Polestar, Denim Blue/Maroon Brown (OSD Sept 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb View Post
      Funny this should come up today since I just refreshed tracking on the WW site and saw an update:

LINER RELEASE PORT HUENEME, CA 19-11-2018 14:25:24
      CUSTOMS RELEASE PORT HUENEME, CA 19-11-2018 00:00:00
      DISCHARGED PORT HUENEME, CA 15-11-2018 21:36:00 1

So looks like tracking works through customs release. 4 days for customs release including a weekend isn't bad. Assuming this means it is now in Volvo's hands for the last leg?

Scott
      Wait, what?! My XC40 is in that shipment. Wondering if that status means it's "cleared customs" or "released to customs for processing"?
      2019 XC40 Inscription Polestar Denim Blue & Blonde Leather (via OSD Sep 2018)

Getting Close

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmark View Post
      Wait, what?! My XC40 is in that shipment. Wondering if that status means it's "cleared customs" or "released to customs for processing"?
      My dealer says it means that it's been released to customs. My XC40 was released to customs and completely through customs in Baltimore in 3 days--very quick compared to some other scenarios people have written about. Talked with Barbara at Volvo earlier today and she says they have put a new system in place that is a significant improvement over the old, slower process. Time will tell but sounds encouraging. My car got to Baltimore on 11-11, cleared customs on 11-13 and was loaded on a truck 11-14. Six days later it's still not here (Cincinnati, 500 miles from Baltimore) which is a little odd. Markdotnet who posted here got his in Milwaukee in about two days once it left Baltimore. It seems to be the luck of the draw--how many trucks, drivers are available and where the most demand is. I live within 50 miles of 3 dealers so I would think they would get out this way often. When I dropped the car off in Gothenburg on 10-2 Hans told me it would be here in Cincinnati on 11-21--tomorrow, so we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by XC40 View Post
      Markdotnet who posted here got his in Milwaukee in about two days once it left Baltimore. It seems to be the luck of the draw--how many trucks, drivers are available and where the most demand is. I live within 50 miles of 3 dealers so I would think they would get out this way often. When I dropped the car off in Gothenburg on 10-2 Hans told me it would be here in Cincinnati on 11-21--tomorrow, so we shall see.
      Yeah... it's very strange. My car arrived at the dealership on 11/17. I was able to take delivery of it on 11/20 (yay!). I wish there were some sort of rhyme or reason or at least some sort of visibility into it.
      2019 XC40 Momentum T5 + Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by Markdotnet View Post
      Yeah... it's very strange. My car arrived at the dealership on 11/17. I was able to take delivery of it on 11/20 (yay!). I wish there were some sort of rhyme or reason or at least some sort of visibility into it.
      Truck companies are not UPS and they don't scan and send notifications. What can we do.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements