Keyless Entry Not Working
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keyless Entry Not Working

Keyless lock/unlock via one of my fobs is not working. The fob was working fine but car showed low battery and said to replace. After replacing battery, fob buttons work to lock/unlock the XC90 and vehicle starts no problem. However fob appears not to recognized to open or lock door via handles, or close & lock via the button on the hatch. It does not matter where I hold the fob. For lock/unlock with the fob buttons the range is very good.

I am hoping someone has an easy fix and I can avoid a service visit for this...
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Replace battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Tibits View Post
      Keyless lock/unlock via one of my fobs is not working. The fob was working fine but car showed low battery and said to replace. After replacing battery, fob buttons work to lock/unlock the XC90 and vehicle starts no problem. However fob appears not to recognized to open or lock door via handles, or close & lock via the button on the hatch. It does not matter where I hold the fob. For lock/unlock with the fob buttons the range is very good.

I am hoping someone has an easy fix and I can avoid a service visit for this...
      1. Weak Battery
      2. Key Fob next to cell phone in Pocket = Interferes with signal.

Still not working? Might be a bad key. Stop in to dealer

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Just an odd idea-- probably not worth much-- perhaps the fuse that controls the keyless entry blew? I don't know if it is the same fuse as (un)locking with the buttons, which is obviously still working for you.

Second idea-- contact Volvo through their app and see if they can help? This has to be a common problem.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take it to the service department if you can avoid it.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      Second idea-- contact Volvo through their app and see if they can help? This has to be a common problem.
      This is a good idea, I will give it a try.

I don't think it's a fuse as the other fob still works for keyless entry. I called the service department today but they had no idea and said I'd need to come in. It seems like an issue with the fob itself. It's just odd that it worked fine until the battery was changed and then immediately developed an issue. I did put another brand new battery in today just to be sure.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

This is a good idea, I will give it a try.

I don't think it's a fuse as the other fob still works for keyless entry. I called the service department today but they had no idea and said I'd need to come in. It seems like an issue with the fob itself. It's just odd that it worked fine until the battery was changed and then immediately developed an issue. I did put another brand new battery in today just to be sure.

Yeah, that is weird. Sorry that my idea was a bust. My only other ideas are to yell at your fob, or hit it with a hammer, to show it that you mean business. Seriously, I hope that you figure it out.

To make sure it's the fob's problem before hammering it.. The car comes with two fobs and a sport key, have you tried the other ones?

Does the Momentum+ come with a sport key?
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

My car is the same. I've complained a few times to service. First few times they couldn't fault. Now they've changed the battery on the fob.

I find keyless entry has the most troubles on the left rear door, and boot. I keep the key in my front pocket, and often have to position my body even closer to the body of the car, and press it a few times to get it to register. It's annoying.

For the lock button on the boot to work, the key fob must not be in the boot itself, and has to be close to the outside of the car. Otherwise you would be able to lock the car without the key, or lock it with the key in the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      Does the Momentum+ come with a sport key?

In the US it does-- or at least it did in 2017....

In the US it does-- or at least it did in 2017....
      Aha, ok. I wrongly assumed it was an Inscription feature.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Was there a solution to the one fob not working, I am having the same problem, one fob is fine the other only has the buttons working, the proximity open and lock doors is not. Changed battery and also switched battery with other fob, no change in the fob that is not working correctly. This just started a few days ago, I had changed the batterys in the fobs a couple of moths ago with no issues.

Same problem here. Sometimes I have to shake the fob around a bit in order for it to get working. Replaced batteries twice.
      2016 XC90 T6 R-Design in Bursting Blue w/ only option I cared about: B&W stereo

After replacing battery, fob buttons work to lock/unlock the XC90 and vehicle starts no problem. However fob appears not to recognized to open or lock door via handles, or close & lock via the button on the hatch.
      If this problem still persists, what happens if you:
      Attempt to unlock the door by touching that back of the handle while having the key fob in close proximity (I assume this still doesn't work as you stated), then ...
      Attempt to unlock the door using the key fob button (I assume this still works), and then ...
      Get into the car and turn the iginition ...

Does the engine start or not?
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

"Does the engine start". For mine, the engine starts fine, and the buttons work, just the proximity door handles... the other remote works fine, so I am really assuming that there is something bad with the one remote

Quote Originally Posted by Highpowerdad View Post
      "Does the engine start". For mine, the engine starts fine, and the buttons work, just the proximity door handles... the other remote works fine, so I am really assuming that there is something bad with the one remote
      Odd.
      I thought engine start's detection of key fob in proximity is identical to the door handles' detection of key fob in proximity. So, I had expected if one works, the other should as well.

So I tried again tonight and the car didn't find the key to start, it did last night...I think, regardless, the buttons still opened and locked the car, and the OTHER fob does everything, so something must be amiss with the one fob, anyone know if cpo warranty covers the fobs?

The buttons in the remote transmit lock/unlock signal the way regular key fob buttons do. The proximity function of the key fob (e.g. for door handle unlock/lock and ignition key) should run on a different kind of frequency.

Since you replaced the battery, it is possible that the proximity radio isn't working.

Another possibility is that there is another device nearby that emits EM wave that interferes with your key fob's proximity radio.

Every now and then, I get a key fob not found message when driving, even though the key fob is near the center console spot with the key icon. It seems to happen more since I placed a wireless charging pad nearby. Either the Qi charger's EM wave is interfering, or one of the radios (bluetooth, NFC, wiFi, GSM/CDMA, ...) of the smartphone sitting on the pad is interfering.

Is the battery in upside-down? This is a major problem with BMW motorcycle fobs.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Was there a solution to the one fob not working, I am having the same problem, one fob is fine the other only has the buttons working, the proximity open and lock doors is not. Changed battery and also switched battery with other fob, no change in the fob that is not working correctly. This just started a few days ago, I had changed the batterys in the fobs a couple of moths ago with no issues.
      My dealer ended up having to swap out the fob for a new one under warranty.

I've had similar issues. Sometimes my keyfob doesn't work with the door handles. Then I use the buttons on the fob and it works fine. I report it during regular maintenance and it works fine for a week or so then resumes it's intermittent behavior -- even after the replaced the fob. Now the second keyfob has stopped working entirely. The car says that it doesn't recognize the fob.

Not a fix to the problem but an idea.

If the active part of the key is dead (radio transmitter) either broken, low battery or some interference you can’t unlock or start keyless since it’s to far from the sensors.

But you should still be able to use the passive part. If you unlock the car via VOC-app (first the trunk according to manual) you should be able to use the marked (key) place in the center console and place the key there for the car to sense the passive part of the key in order to start.
      Volvo XC90 T6 2018 Twilight Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by citivas View Post
      I've had similar issues. Sometimes my keyfob doesn't work with the door handles. Then I use the buttons on the fob and it works fine. I report it during regular maintenance and it works fine for a week or so then resumes it's intermittent behavior -- even after the replaced the fob. Now the second keyfob has stopped working entirely. The car says that it doesn't recognize the fob.
      I was experiencing similar behavior. I would lock the doors using the button on the door handle (or on key fob), wait a few seconds, then put hand on the door handle ... and nothing, door would not unlock. I would pull on the handle and it still would not unlock. Read this thread and swapped out the battery. Now it works fine??? The question marks are because this was on a 2019 that is only 2 months old!
      2019 XC90 T8 R-Design | Onyx Black Metallic | 22" 5-Spoke Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Heat Package | Advanced Package | Air Suspension | B&W Sound | Factory Hitch

What I've realized is that the key fails frequently when I have the phone in the same pocket, and never when it is on the opposite pocket.

There is TJ34445.1.1 titled "Loss of Rear Door Locks / Window functions. Some of the symptoms are lock/unlocking/central locking does not work, lock/unlocking/other central locking problems, electrical operated window/No/reduced/correct function. The identified error is an open circuit and the potential solution is to inspect/repair a specified splice, et al.

In my case, I don't have the issue with the rear door but I occasionally have the issue with the driver's side door not recognizing the key fob's presence. I am hoping that it is related to the TJ. My issue is sporadic (and yes, I have replaced the battery in the key fob and it is inserted correctly). Anyway, I will have the dealer take a look in May when I am down for regular (40K) service.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I also noticed "TJ33031.4.2, 2019-02-05, Remote Control Key No function" which might be worth reviewing to see if it is applicable for your model, model year and chassis range. I do not have the details handy.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Took my XC90 in today to the dealer. Before I took it in, I checked to see if the locks were exhibiting the symptoms. It was (although it was intermittent). Pulled it into the service bay. The service advisor checked the car in. I tested it right in front of him to show him the intermittent inability to unlock the doors via keyless entry. The car was locked, I put my hand on the front passenger door handle, door didn't unlock. Pulled on the handled, didn't unlock. Went to the passenger rear door, pulled on that, no unlock. Service advisor said they would check it out and call me. A couple hours later, I get a call, dealer says they can't replicate it. They also said there were no fault codes detected. Service advisor said I might of put my finger on the outside square while simultaneously having my fingers between the handle and the door panel and I must of confused the system (that was not the case... but OK...). So, long story short, they can't do anything. I told them I would leave work early, swing by and see if I could re-replicate the issue. First lock/unlock worked fine, second one, I got it to lock, pulled on the handle, nothing, no unlock. Pulled on the rear passenger door, no unlock, but then a few seconds later, I was able to unlock it. Service advisor said that it's probably RF interference (BTW - I had the key fob in my pocket as well as 2 - 6 inches from the door handle). I've owned a lot of vehicles with keyless entry, never had this issue before, anywhere! I'm going to try to record the instances of this but I think the dealer (and Volvo) are going to use the RF interference defense which sounds like BS to me.
      2019 XC90 T8 R-Design | Onyx Black Metallic | 22" 5-Spoke Wheels | Carbon Fiber | Heat Package | Advanced Package | Air Suspension | B&W Sound | Factory Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by pekingduk View Post
      Took my XC90 in today to the dealer. Before I took it in, I checked to see if the locks were exhibiting the symptoms. It was (although it was intermittent). Pulled it into the service bay. The service advisor checked the car in. I tested it right in front of him to show him the intermittent inability to unlock the doors via keyless entry. The car was locked, I put my hand on the front passenger door handle, door didn't unlock. Pulled on the handled, didn't unlock. Went to the passenger rear door, pulled on that, no unlock. Service advisor said they would check it out and call me. A couple hours later, I get a call, dealer says they can't replicate it. They also said there were no fault codes detected. Service advisor said I might of put my finger on the outside square while simultaneously having my fingers between the handle and the door panel and I must of confused the system (that was not the case... but OK...). So, long story short, they can't do anything. I told them I would leave work early, swing by and see if I could re-replicate the issue. First lock/unlock worked fine, second one, I got it to lock, pulled on the handle, nothing, no unlock. Pulled on the rear passenger door, no unlock, but then a few seconds later, I was able to unlock it. Service advisor said that it's probably RF interference (BTW - I had the key fob in my pocket as well as 2 - 6 inches from the door handle). I've owned a lot of vehicles with keyless entry, never had this issue before, anywhere! I'm going to try to record the instances of this but I think the dealer (and Volvo) are going to use the RF interference defense which sounds like BS to me.
      If you have your key in the same pocket as a cell phone, it could definitely be interference. Also, the keyless entry by touching square doesn't always trigger on my vehicle either. Seems to be a touchy system.

I had the same problem a couple off months ago, see post 12, one key fob started acting up, RF would work sometimes, but it was finicky, then the RF stopped all together (when I changed the battery!), but the buttons still worked and so did the start of the car. Took it in last week, showed dealer one fob worked fine and one didn't, they replaced the fob - been meaning to post my experence. Are both your fobs doing the same thing? Or is it just one?

My 2015 was problematic and Volvo ended up issuing a TSB for corrosion in the handle harnesses and all were replaced. I posted the entire drama here on Swedespeed somewhere...
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

I had the same problem a couple off months ago, see post 12, one key fob started acting up, RF would work sometimes, but it was finicky, then the RF stopped all together (when I changed the battery!), but the buttons still worked and so did the start of the car. Took it in last week, showed dealer one fob worked fine and one didn't, they replaced the fob - been meaning to post my experence. Are both your fobs doing the same thing? Or is it just one?

Primarily the one. But dealer claims they can't do anything without a fault code even though it happened right in front of their own eyes. I doubt something like this would even trigger a fault code. Once I get a couple videos of it, going to go back to the dealer and corporate. I have some other issues with my XC90 so I'm sure they're trying to minimize the # of fixes.

This seems justify a replacement of the one fob under warranty. Better than diagnose it that would be non-trivial and time consuming.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

my problem, which is somewhat similar, also started about a month ago or so..as annoying, as it is - you cant open the door quickly, you have to stick your hand into the handle, wait maybe a second and then pull, to give it some time to unlock. i can live with that, but lately i have to put my hand in either really slow, or do it few times before it unlocks. locking thru the button on the handle works 8 out of 10 times now as well. didnt change the battery yet, this is the next thing i will try

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
      my problem, which is somewhat similar, also started about a month ago or so..as annoying, as it is - you cant open the door quickly, you have to stick your hand into the handle, wait maybe a second and then pull, to give it some time to unlock. i can live with that, but lately i have to put my hand in either really slow, or do it few times before it unlocks. locking thru the button on the handle works 8 out of 10 times now as well. didnt change the battery yet, this is the next thing i will try
      That is what started happening to me awhile ago, and a new battery fixed the problem. Happy that it is a standard-size battery, easily found and replaced.

That is what started happening to me awhile ago, and a new battery fixed the problem. Happy that it is a standard-size battery, easily found and replaced.
      You got the BMS reset, right? If not, as I understand it, you won't get a full charge on your brand new battery.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast