Over the last few months I have been fighting an overheating amazon!
I bought the car at the end of summer and drove 400 miles with the heater core open and the fan blowing 130 degree to keep the engine from overheating! Since that torture I have been working to remedy the problem without success.
- Replaced Water Pump
- New Radiator Cap
- Flushed and treated with Thermocure
- Flushed and treated with weak mixture of Citric Acid
- Back flushed the system multiple times
- Tested Capillary Style Thermostat and the measurements are confirmed via thermocouple and IR gun.
- 160 Degree Thermostat helped substantially but still the symptoms did not subside.
- I've got uneven heating across the block with #4 running hotest and #1 running coolest.
Yesterday I drove 8 hours from NC to GA and the ole girl did great for the first 5 hours but then on the last two the temps crept into the red and then I had to open the heater core until the end of the trip (60 MPH on backroads).
My next steps are to have the radiator boiled out, check the distribution pipe for any blockages or corrosion, and potentially flush the system again!