Owners manual says turn the car OFF before going through a car wash?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Owners manual says turn the car OFF before going through a car wash?

From my 2019 XC60 manual:

For automatic car washes in which the vehicle is pulled forward on rolling wheels:

1. Before washing the vehicle, make sure that the automatic rain sensor is deactivated. If it is not deactivated and inadvertently starts, the wiper arms could be damaged.
      2. To help prevent damage from the automatic car wash machinery, make sure that the door mirrors are folded in, antennas retracted or removed, and any auxiliary lights secured.
      3. Drive into the automatic car wash.
      4. Turn off the "Automatic Braking when Stationary" function using the button in the tunnel console.
      5. Turn off the "Automatic Parking Brake Application" function in the center display's Top view.
      6. Turn off the engine by turning the start knob in the tunnel console clockwise. Hold the knob in position for at least 2 seconds.

The vehicle is now ready for the automatic car wash.

Why would I need to do that, especially if I did all that other stuff (like disabling auto brakes)?

LMS
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by .LMS. View Post
      From my 2019 XC60 manual:

For automatic car washes in which the vehicle is pulled forward on rolling wheels:

1. Before washing the vehicle, make sure that the automatic rain sensor is deactivated. If it is not deactivated and inadvertently starts, the wiper arms could be damaged.
      2. To help prevent damage from the automatic car wash machinery, make sure that the door mirrors are folded in, antennas retracted or removed, and any auxiliary lights secured.
      3. Drive into the automatic car wash.
      4. Turn off the "Automatic Braking when Stationary" function using the button in the tunnel console.
      5. Turn off the "Automatic Parking Brake Application" function in the center display's Top view.
      6. Turn off the engine by turning the start knob in the tunnel console clockwise. Hold the knob in position for at least 2 seconds.

The vehicle is now ready for the automatic car wash.

Why would I need to do that, especially if I did all that other stuff (like disabling auto brakes)?

LMS
      Dun no.
      I use touchless, get out of the car and the attendant drives it to the starting track. pick the car up after its dried. I never enable auto brakes anyway.

Never heard of shutting the car off. Simply leave the car in neutral, make sure auto windshield wipers and auto brake hold are off, and proceed into the wash. Though I only use the auto wash over the winter when it’s impractical to do it myself.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      Never heard of shutting the car off.
      Me neither...

Quote Originally Posted by huntpsu1 View Post
      Though I only use the auto wash over the winter when it’s impractical to do it myself.
      Me too...
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

I have seen the same stuff as I also have a 2019 XC60.
      I did not know that the rain sensor could turn on the wipers if the physical wiper switch is off. I understand the automatic parking brake problem on a regular car wash. My previous car had foldable mirrors, I never folded them in a car wash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by timlocke View Post
      I have seen the same stuff as I also have a 2019 XC60.
      I did not know that the rain sensor could turn on the wipers if the physical wiper switch is off. I understand the automatic parking brake problem on a regular car wash. My previous car had foldable mirrors, I never folded them in a car wash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I fold them now since one of the housings FLEW OFF during a dry cycle when they weren't folder ....

I wish there was a single option like 'Car Wash Mode' that would perform all of these at once. Except for turning the car off... I've never done that, and I imagine I've gone through these types of washes with my XC60 probably 8-10 times.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements