Exocet's 2007 V70 2.5T Build Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
      Now that I’ve had my V70 for a year, it’s about time I start a long overdue build thread. But, first a little background. My previous vehicle was a 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium wagon that I purchased in 2013 with 113K miles on it. It was a one owner car from southern MD. 3.0L DOHC V-6, 4-speed auto with console shift. I bought the car to get the wear and tear off my 2008 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 crew cab/long bed. Plus, the 12-14 MPG in daily driving was getting old. I figured if I got 5 years out of the car, I’d be happy. Well, at about 4 years, I started getting the itch for something newer. I really liked the 2010-2012 Cadillac CTS wagons. Did a few test drives. But, realized I’d have to sell the truck to afford the Caddy. I wasn’t willing to do that. So, I gave up the search for a while. Then, a few months later I saw a P2 V70R in a parking lot. I was bitten by the V70 bug. I’ve always had a thing for the old 240 series turbo wagons back in the 80s, probably the “Q-ship” factor.

So, I spent a couple of months researching V70/V70Rs. I soon realized that an R probably wasn’t the best choice for a Volvo “newbie”. So, I set my sights on a V70 T5 (preferred), or a 2.5T. Ideally, a post facelift model since I really didn’t want to go more than about 10 years old. (Although, I might have gone older for the right T5M). Not much luck looking within 2-3 hours of my location in central NY. I didn’t want a northeastern car (too much salt) or an NYC car. So, I set out on a nationwide search, primarily focused in the southeast and northwest. Had three cars get away (one in Sacramento, one in San Diego, and one in FL) by the time the dealer/seller responded. All were 2.5Ts as 05-07 V70 T5s were practically non-existent. But, I figured I had time to look. Then, at the end of November 2017, an older gentleman hit my Sable, which resulted in the insurance totaling it. So, with insurance money in hand, my search accelerated. I had seen a 07 V70 2.5T with 138K on it in Ft. Worth, TX advertised for a few weeks. Looked clean and had the right options on it. But, the price was too high for me. Then, a couple of weeks later, I notice the price had dropped. So, I contacted the dealer. After getting some more info on the car, I arranged a stop at DFW on a business trip to CA to take a closer look. The dealer was very helpful. He let me use a lift at a shop next door and spend all the time I wanted looking at the car. It failed the glove test (slight positive pressure), had either a noisy power steering pump or alternator, broken fuel door hinge, and the seam on the outer bolster of the driver’s seat was starting to come apart. It had newer Volvo struts. And the tires and brakes were all in the 50% range. But, overall very clean. Probably spent an hour plus driving it all around the Ft. Worth area. I found an old insurance card in it that had the previous owner’s address on it. So, I decided to pay him a visit. He was very helpful and glad to see that I had such an interest in his old car. It was the first of 4 Volvos that he and his wife have owned. So, it must of treated him pretty well over the 9 years they owned it. He said that the Volvo dealer in Ft. Worth did most of the service. I asked him if there was any significant issues with the car (since he no longer had any financial interest in the car). He said no. That was reassuring. So, back to the dealer to discuss numbers.

Two weeks later, I flew back to DFW to pick up my new-to-me V70. Left the dealer at 5pm on a Sunday night and headed to Joplin, MO for the night. It was a bit scary heading into the dark oblivion on I-35N between Ft. Worth and OKC with a car I didn’t know much about. But, I made it to Missouri without any issues. The next day was a hop to my parent’s house in southern MI. Hung out there for a day and adjusted the headlights and thawed out the washer fluid (as the dealer didn’t replace it). Then, the 600 mile hop home. Not even 15 miles down the road, CEL comes on. Crap. For some reason, I didn’t bring my OBDII reader with me. So, hunted down an AutoZone to get the codes read. Codes were showing throttle position out of range. Wonderful. The car ran fine. So, got the codes cleared and I ventured on. CEL would come and go through my trip home. Ran into light snow for about 250 miles of the trip. Not a pleasant experience. The Pirelli P-Zeros were really loose in the rear in less than 1” of snow. But, made it home without any other issues. Fluid levels remained stable the whole trip.

So, here’s a summary of what I’ve done in the past year. It’s been a busy year. Sitting at 155K right now.

Repairs Made to Date:
      PCV service – hoses, oil separator, banjo bolt, and small plastic tube
      Throttle body cleaning (eliminated the CEL and cold idle issues)
      Turbo to OTE coupler and OTE to intercooler coupler
      Washer nozzles and check valves
      Outside mirror glass (both fell off within a couple of months of each other)
      Rear shocks and shock mounts
      Upper and lower torque mounts
      Fuel door hinge
      Alternator (bad bearing)
      Serpentine belt
      Radiator hoses
      Battery
      Heater core (poor heat below 20 deg)
      HVAC blower (noisy in cold temps)
      Front lower control arms (bad bushings)
      Front ball joints
      Axle to hub seals
      Inner and outer tie rod ends and bellows
      Front brake hoses (cracked outer sheath)
      Turn signal stalk (cracked)
      Ignition key antenna/LED (bad LED)
      Aux port (bad connector)
      Engine control relay
      Assorted worn/broken trim pieces

Maintenance Done to Date:
      Transmission fluid flush
      Power steering fluid flush
      Coolant replacement
      Rear rotors and pads
      Replaced TCV
      Cabin air filter

Upgrades Made to Date:
      16” Eurus Wheels and General Altimax Arctic 12 tires
      Homelink Visor (from an 05 XC90)
      Rear subwoofer (best JY score!)
      S80 Exec instrument cluster
      S60 cluster hood
      R steering wheel
      T5 OTE pipe
      Mud flaps
      Volvo winter floor mats
      12V rear outlet
      S60 headlights w/ new bulbs
      Amber fog lights
      T5 305mm front rotors and brackets
      Akebono Eurospec pads
      IPD poly strut brace inserts
      Painted coil cover
      R injector/intake cover
      Custom mesh grille
      Center speaker
      Panavise cell phone mount
      Bluetooth adapter

Remaining Projects (parts on hand):
      R front seats
      Premium speakers and front door panels
      Premium audio amplifier
      Auto Dim rearview mirror
      Black carpet
      Leather console armrest
      Black mesh trim
      Shifter boot
      Window sliders
      Rear hatch support struts
      Last edited by Exocet; 12-24-2018 at 05:52 PM.
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Might as well do the front/rear engine mounts, something to do.
      Current: 1998 V70 T5/S70 T5M & 2002 V70/S60 T5
      Past: 2006 V70R GT

Quote Originally Posted by Archer111 View Post
      Might as well do the front/rear engine mounts, something to do.
      They are on my list for the spring.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Good stuff, well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slowly getting the pieces together for a rear parking sensor installation. Bought the sensors and harness from a member here. Got the controller unit and on/off switch off from an XC90 today. Just need the retainers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A little junkyarding today. Picked up a R airbox (just incase I upgrade to a 16T), parking sensor controller and switch, rear cargo area mat, and a never used Volvo first aid kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
      A little junkyarding today. Picked up a R airbox (just incase I upgrade to a 16T), parking sensor controller and switch, rear cargo area mat, and a never used Volvo first aid kit.

Where's the park assist sensor box located on the car?
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 211k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 306k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 246k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Back near the REM. It's mounted with double sided tape.

Spent the afternoon playing with VIDA. Went with the VM installation route, and had no issues. Clunky interface, but lots of good info. Changed the headlight settings. Not sure the twilight sensor is working. Voltages from 2.3v (bright light) to 3.7v (no light). Sunload sensor always read out 4.7v. Need to look at that a bit more. CCM temp sensor is reading 29C (84F), when temp set to 72F. 30F outside. Definitely not 84F in the car. Maybe the surrounding electronics are heating things up. Might explain why it likes to blow cool air once things warm up.

Pulled the CCM to replace the illumination bulbs. However, I ended up getting the wrong size bulbs. Now, another light is out. The gray base has a larger bulb than the white base. Both larger than the bulbs I ordered.

Installed my DSTC switch in the console, and lo and behold, I have DTSC control again! So, an 04 switch, in an 07 car, with a 06 cluster works. Looks like Volvo kept the CANBUS message ID the same. The illumination bulb was dead. Fortunately, the bulbs I ordered for the CCM were the right size.

Plugged in my park assist sensors, PAM, and switch. But, nothing. So, probably need a software download.

Got the last piece of the carpet puzzle today. Found a LF carpet section out of an 05 S60 w/ 49K miles on it. CA car to boot! No luck finding a decent LF section here in the NE over the past year.

That is a score. I've been digging through the pick and pull's for one of those for the last 6 months. They are either the wrong color or way too beat.

The XC70 was my wife's car for the first 190k miles and she wore through the floormat AND carpet with her heels. Now that I've been driving it I kinda want to fix it.

Got the last piece of the carpet puzzle today. Found a LF carpet section out of an 05 S60 w/ 49K miles on it. CA car to boot! No luck finding a decent LF section here in the NE over the past year.
      '06 XC70
      '14 XC90
      '06 C70

Quote Originally Posted by jimbofranks View Post
      That is a score. I've been digging through the pick and pull's for one of those for the last 6 months. They are either the wrong color or way too beat.

The XC70 was my wife's car for the first 190k miles and she wore through the floormat AND carpet with her heels. Now that I've been driving it I kinda want to fix it.
      That was my experience. Found the RF and rear pretty quick. But, the LF was proving difficult. Got tired of driving 200 miles round trip to come home empty handed. ErieVolvo has them, but wants $125. You can get them new online for $140. I found this one on car-part.com from a truck recycler in CA.

You want a "manual" dim rear view mirror, not an autodim. Better anti-dazzle. And easy to use in daylight, too, when one of those GD pickups or SUVs with HID lights comes up behind you directly at eye level...

[Just remember to KEEP THE OLD MIRROR!! Don't bin it. You need the circuit board "guts" out of it to transplant into the manual dim mirror]
      2001 V70 T5M
      2010 XC70 T6

Grabbed a silver shifter trim today from an 05 XC90. Needs to be cleaned and repainted.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Green View Post
      You want a "manual" dim rear view mirror, not an autodim. Better anti-dazzle. And easy to use in daylight, too, when one of those GD pickups or SUVs with HID lights comes up behind you directly at eye level...

[Just remember to KEEP THE OLD MIRROR!! Don't bin it. You need the circuit board "guts" out of it to transplant into the manual dim mirror]
      Every other vehicle in the fleet has an autodim mirror. Never had any issues with them. Yes, I'm aware that I need to swap the security module.

Spent the afternoon playing with VIDA. Went with the VM installation route, and had no issues. Clunky interface, but lots of good info. Changed the headlight settings. Not sure the twilight sensor is working. Voltages from 2.3v (bright light) to 3.7v (no light). Sunload sensor always read out 4.7v. Need to look at that a bit more. CCM temp sensor is reading 29C (84F), when temp set to 72F. 30F outside. Definitely not 84F in the car. Maybe the surrounding electronics are heating things up. Might explain why it likes to blow cool air once things warm up.

The courtesy light (activated when the door opens) on my parents wagon, 2006 2.5T, stopped working, the cause was a faulty twighlight sensor. Replaced it and all was well.

Grabbed a silver shifter trim today from an 05 XC90. Needs to be cleaned and repainted.
      I think that's different. The s/v shifter is somewhat an askewed rectangle

2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 211k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned

You're correct. I didn't recognize that it didn't have the funky angle. Oh well, a part for the "never to be used" box.

Starting to get spun up for spring projects. One of those is a projector headlight conversion. Looking at the Morimoto Mini H1 Stage 3 projectors with the Mini Turbine shrouds with halo LEDs. Anyone ever done one of these on P2? Any issues or complications?

Starting to get spun up for spring projects. One of those is a projector headlight conversion. Looking at the Morimoto Mini H1 Stage 3 projectors with the Mini Turbine shrouds with halo LEDs. Anyone ever done one of these on P2? Any issues or complications?
      I think I've read that minis fit. You'll probably face issues with bulb out warnings quite annoyingly.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishBrick View Post
      You'll probably face issues with bulb out warnings quite annoyingly.
      Even if you get the CANBUS harness?

I think I've read that minis fit. You'll probably face issues with bulb out warnings quite annoyingly.
      The Minis need 4.5" of housing depth. I have 5" from the back of the reflector to the back of the lens.

Here's my list, same car with less miles
      Work started at 102,900 miles, winter/spring 2016
      2007 WHite 2.5T from Fl/GA Has never seen snow until this year.

As you can see I don't drive very much these days so no reason for a new or newer car...

DISABLE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
      INSTALL EURO FOGLIGHT SOFTWARE
      INSTALL ONE TOUCH UNLOCK SOFTWARE .
      CALIBRATED CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE
      FULL TRANNY FLUSH, GIBBONS METHOD
      RESET TRANSMISSION FLUID COUNTERS
      CALIBRATE FRONT AUTO UP/DN WINDOWS
      NEW CABIN AND AIR FILTERS
      NEW TIMING BELT AND TENSIONERS
      ALIGNMENT
      MOBIL-1 at 102,975 MILES 1/2016
      MOBIL-1 at 106,950 MILES, SINGLE DRAIN AND FILL OF TRANNY FLUID 1/2017
      MOBIL-1 at 111,100 MILES. SINGLE DRAIN AND FILL 12/13/1017 NEW PA STATE INSP.
      MOBIL 1 at 113,300 MILES, NEW PA STATE INSP. 12/2018
      FULL ALIGNMENT 111K MILES
      NEW SERP. BELT AND TENSIONER AND FUEL FILTER 111,100 MILES
      NEW COOLANT

INSTALLED V70R SILVER SHIFT KNOB
      FLUSHED BRAKE FLUID
      NEW REAR ENGINE/TRANS DOG-LEG MOUNT
      INSTALL USED HU850 AND PA-300 AMP AND A NEW CENTER SPEAKER
      INSTALL 2 FRONT MUDFLAPS
      SOLID UPPER ENGINE BRACE BUSHINGS
      PAINT AND INSTALL NEW REAR SPOILER
      REPLACE FUEL DOOR HINGE
      WIRED IN MY VOLVO SUBWOOFER
      NEW REAR SHOCKS
      NEW FRONT STRUTS, BELLOWS AND SPRING SEATS
      NEW IPD SWAY BARS
      NEW CONTI DWS-06 TIRES ON REFINISHED 17” THOR WHEELS AT 104,500 MI.
      INSTALLED HEATED AND REFINISHED XC70 SEATS AT 106,400K MILES 10/2016
      REAR PARK SYSTEM INSTALLED AT 107K MILES 12/2016
      POLESTAR TUNE SPRING 2017
      Last edited by JRL; 03-20-2019 at 09:57 PM.
      Email: jrl1194 ( at ) AOL (dot) com
      2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak/Tan/Arena, 117K miles. My DD with no plans to sell it anytime soon
      2000 V70R, Wife's, she won't sell. Now she hit 158,000 miles and still near perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
      Here's my list, same car with less miles
      Work started at 102,900 miles, winter/spring 2016
      2007 WHite 2.5T from Fl/GA Has never seen snow until this year.

As you can see I don't drive very much these days so no reason for a new or newer car...

DISABLE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
      INSTALL EURO FOGLIGHT SOFTWARE
      INSTALL ONE TOUCH UNLOCK SOFTWARE .
      CALIBRATED CLIMATE CONTROL MODULE
      FULL TRANNY FLUSH, GIBBONS METHOD
      RESET TRANSMISSION FLUID COUNTERS
      CALIBRATE FRONT AUTO UP/DN WINDOWS
      NEW CABIN AND AIR FILTERS
      NEW TIMING BELT AND TENSIONERS
      ALIGNMENT
      MOBIL-1 at 102,975 MILES 1/2016
      MOBIL-1 at 106,950 MILES, SINGLE DRAIN AND FILL OF TRANNY FLUID 1/2017
      MOBIL-1 at 111,100 MILES. SINGLE DRAIN AND FILL 12/13/1017 NEW PA STATE INSP.
      MOBIL 1 at 113,300 MILES, NEW PA STATE INSP. 12/2018
      FULL ALIGNMENT 111K MILES
      NEW SERP. BELT AND TENSIONER AND FUEL FILTER 111,100 MILES
      NEW COOLANT

INSTALLED V70R SILVER SHIFT KNOB
      FLUSHED BRAKE FLUID
      NEW REAR ENGINE/TRANS DOG-LEG MOUNT
      INSTALL USED HU850 AND PA-300 AMP AND A NEW CENTER SPEAKER
      INSTALL 2 FRONT MUDFLAPS
      SOLID UPPER ENGINE BRACE BUSHINGS
      PAINT AND INSTALL NEW REAR SPOILER
      REPLACE FUEL DOOR HINGE
      WIRED IN MY VOLVO SUBWOOFER
      NEW REAR SHOCKS
      NEW FRONT STRUTS, BELLOWS AND SPRING SEATS
      NEW IPD SWAY BARS
      NEW CONTI DWS-06 TIRES ON REFINISHED 17” THOR WHEELS AT 104,500 MI.
      INSTALLED HEATED AND REFINISHED XC70 SEATS AT 106,400K MILES 10/2016
      REAR PARK SYSTEM INSTALLED AT 107K MILES 12/2016
      POLESTAR TUNE SPRING 2017
      You can get a polestar tune on a 07 v70 2.5t? I didn’t know that was a thing. I though they just started doing that in 2010.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
      Psalm 23:4

2004 Volvo S60R M66

I used to have the link but tossed it. They didn't go back to 2005 and I was mad.
      Quote Originally Posted by KDM Mods View Post
      You can get a polestar tune on a 07 v70 2.5t? I didn’t know that was a thing. I though they just started doing that in 2010.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by KDM Mods View Post

Yea it's like a grand though.

Old tires dismounted and wheels are waiting to be painted.
      The TPMS sensors were original, based on the manufacture date. Still working after 11 years and 150k miles.
      Last edited by Exocet; 03-22-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Old tires dismounted and wheels are waiting to be painted.
      Sh*t. Wanna trade? Mine aren't that pretty but they are perfectly strait.

Sh*t. Wanna trade? Mine aren't that pretty but they are perfectly strait.
      The benefits of a former southern car!

Did you retrofit the center speaker in the dash? If so could you tell me how? 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Kattten View Post
      Did you retrofit the center speaker in the dash? If so could you tell me how? 🙂
      Carefully pry up the speaker grille and install speaker. A wide, thin blade works well. Too much pressure can deform the dash material. It tends to recover after some time.

A stack of ZLines waiting....

Looking forward to your thoughts and observations

That will be me in a matter of a few days.

"The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast