Best Oil for S60
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 98
    1. #1
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347

      Thumbs up Best Oil for S60 Drive-E

      My next oil change is not far and I need to make the choice.. I'm not sure between 0W-20 RBS0-2AE and 5W-30

      0W-20 RBS0-2AE oil was designed by Volvo specifically for the Drive-E Engines, since this oil is not available in the US market, Volvo dealerships uses the 5W-30 on those cars instead, it's not any regular full SAE 0W-20.. it has to meet the Volvo VCC RBS0-2AE.

      I have S60 Drive-E (Turbo 2.0L 4Cyl) and I live in a humid mountain area.

      my options list includes:

      0W-20 Volvo VCC RBS0-2AE (Oil made specifically for Volvo Drive-E) [NOT FOR 5 OR 6 CYL S60]
      ---------
      Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 (Rare in the US Market)
      Liqui Moly Special Tec V SAE 0W-20 (Available in the US Market-Imported)
      TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 V DRIVE 0W-20 FOR VOLVO DRIVE E (Rare in the US Market)
      ROWE HIGHTEC SYNT RSV SAE 0W-20 (N\A)
      Shell Helix Ultra Professional AS-L 0w-20 (N\A)

      5W-30
      --------
      Castrol EDGE [SPT] 5W30
      Castrol EDGE Professional A5 5W30
      Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W30
      Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30


      TONYJAG-
      Our dealer found the following in their Volvo diagnostic system under the design and function section:
      "Oil system - General
      The engines from the VEA family have an oil system with a variable oil pump, piston cooling and oil level sensor. Service intervals are 30,000km/one year (market dependent). The engine oil used is a fully synthetic oil with SAE 0W20 viscosity with designation VCC RBS0-2AE. The oil, which is specially developed for Volvo, must be used in all markets. The exception is the USA where, due to legal requirements on the market, ACEA A5/B5 5W30 is used. In order to optimize the engine's internal friction, the lubrication system has a fully variable oil pump. The oil pump's variable displacement contributes to reduced fuel consumption. None of the engines in the VEA family have a dipstick."

      UPDATE 01/03/2019
      -------------------------
      Thank you for contacting Volvo Cars USA. I hope your day is going well. 5W-30 is recommended in the United States over 0W-20 due to the fact that 5W-30 is easier to locate in the United States than 0W-20. Hope this helped, thank you.

      Med vänliga hälsningar!

      Yours Sincerely,

      Todd
      Volvo Car USA
      Last edited by volvjoe; 01-11-2019 at 12:11 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Without looking the service department at my dealer uses Castro Edge Pro and the oil analysis came back real good for almost 10k. I’ll post that when I get access to a scanner.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Maryland
      Posts
      340
      Quote Originally Posted by volvjoe View Post
      My next oil change is not far and I need to make the choice.. I was reading lots of good reviews about the Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W30..any of you guys tried it? is it on the Volvo recommened Oil list?
      Knowing that I have the Drive-E (Turbo 2.0L 4Cyl) and that I live in humid mountain area.

      my options list includes:

      Castrol EDGE [SPT] 5W30
      Castrol EDGE Professional A5 5W30
      Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W30
      Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W30
      I use motul 5w30. I change my oil at every 4K miles.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Near Nashville Tennessee
      Posts
      2,478
      I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and my oil analysis’ have been great.
      2013 S60 T5 AWD, 100,000+ miles in 14 states, Premier Plus, Beechwood Leather, Climate, BLIS, NJORD Rims Caspian Blue Metallic, Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus
      Previous: 2017 Nissan 370z Sport, 2009 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T & 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

    7. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,601
      I use Mobil 1 5W30. Change every 5 to 6k miles.

      Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Bellevue, WA USA
      Posts
      461
      The cheap stuff at Walmart, it has the same API rating as any of the overpriced "premium" oils.

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Posts
      74
      I thought the drive-E wanted 0w-20 oil?

    10. #8
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
      I thought the drive-E wanted 0w-20 oil?
      That what I was reading in the manual!
      "4-cylinder engines only: Volvo oil VCC RBS0-2AE/SAE 0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions."
      Also was reading in other forums that we don't have that Castrol oil here in the US?!

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Posts
      417
      Whatever the dealer uses, every 9.5K - 10K miles

    12. #10
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      I also found that Total (The famous French oil company) makes custom 0w20 for Drive-E Volvos!
      https://www.lubricants.total.com/new...-volvo-drive-e

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Posts
      74
      A number of companies have 0w-20 that meet Volvo's specs. I've used Special Tec V SAE 0W-20 (5 Liter) - Liqui Moly LM20200 and I've got a case of Rowe HIGHTEC SYNT RSV SAE 0W-20 (article number 20260) coming in for the next oil change.

    14. #12
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
      A number of companies have 0w-20 that meet Volvo's specs. I've used Special Tec V SAE 0W-20 (5 Liter) - Liqui Moly LM20200 and I've got a case of Rowe HIGHTEC SYNT RSV SAE 0W-20 (article number 20260) coming in for the next oil change.
      Oh nice! do you have the same Drive-e engine I assume?
      Did you notice any diffrence in MPG when switching to 0w20? any diffrences between those oils that you used or they drive the same?

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Posts
      74
      I do mostly city driving, so I don't have a great ability to compare mileage with different oils.

      I've got a Polestar, and the best MPG i've seen has been 31.1 on a highway trip. My city tanks are usually in the range of 15-22MPG.

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Central FL
      Posts
      97
      About to change my oil for the first time on the V60 and ordered some Castrol Edge Professional 5w-30 off eBay (can't find it in stores and ordering was cheaper than buying from dealer). Extreme driving conditions, per the manual, appear to be conditions below -22F. I live in Florida so I'm definitely not getting "extreme". I assume the recommendation of 0W-20 for 4cyl. engines in extreme driving conditions references the same chart.

      '15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray
      '15 V60 | T5 Drive-E (Serial within potential piston ring failure batch)

    17. #15
      Member p.rico's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,160
      Quote Originally Posted by Wampo View Post
      About to change my oil for the first time on the V60 and ordered some Castrol Edge Professional 5w-30 off eBay (can't find it in stores and ordering was cheaper than buying from dealer). Extreme driving conditions, per the manual, appear to be conditions below -22F. I live in Florida so I'm definitely not getting "extreme". I assume the recommendation of 0W-20 for 4cyl. engines in extreme driving conditions references the same chart.

      '15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray
      Castrol Edge synthetic is available on Amazon for $25 (5 qt). I just bought some Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for even cheaper ($23) and put in for the $10 rebate. Both are A5/B5.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

    18. #16
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      15127437336_38fbe42470_b.jpg
      here's the bigger picture, for 4cyl 2.0 Drive-E the recommended oil is 0w20 that meets Volvo standard VCC RBS0-2AE
      so thats (Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20) which does not seem to be available in the US.
      Last edited by volvjoe; 12-26-2018 at 12:06 PM.

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Central FL
      Posts
      97
      Quote Originally Posted by volvjoe View Post
      Attachment 47083
      here's the bigger picture, for 4cyl 2.0 Drive-E the recommended oil is 0w20 that meets Volvo standard VCC RBS0-2AE
      so thats (Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20) which does not seem to be available in the US.
      Attachment isn't showing but I'm only seeing that 0w20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions. I believe 5w30 applies for normal driving conditions.

      '15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray
      Last edited by Wampo; 12-26-2018 at 10:34 AM.
      '15 V60 | T5 Drive-E (Serial within potential piston ring failure batch)

    20. #18
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by Wampo View Post
      Attachment isn't showing but I'm only seeing that 0w20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions. I believe 5w30 applies for normal driving conditions.

      '15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray
      It should be visible now I reloaded the attachement, I was reading that since that engine-specific 0w20(vcc rbs0-2ae/sae) is not available in the US Market they switched to 5w30.

      Volvo doesn't offer a definition for "Extreme Driving Conditions" also it uses the same words in the Octane rating with minimum of 87 octane for the Drive-E engines and then higher octane is recommened for Extreme driving conditions.. I assume that since I live in Mountains area with Humid weather that this is considered Extreme conditions?

      Many car makers tend to use the 0w20 for increased fuel economy and more performance, Volvo Custom made this 0w20 oil for the Drive-E engines.. it's not any 0w20 SAE oil it's the Volvo vcc rbs0-2ae/sae 0w20

      Also as a driver how do I predict if I will be driving in normal or extreme conditions in the next 10K miles??
      Last edited by volvjoe; 12-26-2018 at 12:16 PM.

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      234
      Quote Originally Posted by volvjoe View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Wampo View Post
      Attachment isn't showing but I'm only seeing that 0w20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions. I believe 5w30 applies for normal driving conditions.

      '15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray
      It should be visible now I reloaded the attachement, I was reading that since that engine-specific 0w20(vcc rbs0-2ae/sae) is not available in the US Market they switched to 5w30.

      Volvo doesn't offer a definition for "Extreme Driving Conditions" also it uses the same words in the Octane rating with minimum of 87 octane for the Drive-E engines and then higher octane is recommened for Extreme driving conditions.. I assume that since I live in Mountains area with Humid weather that this is considered Extreme conditions?

      Many car makers tend to use the 0w20 for increased fuel economy and more performance, Volvo Custom made this 0w20 oil for the Drive-E engines.. it's not any 0w20 SAE oil it's the Volvo vcc rbs0-2ae/sae 0w20

      Also as a driver how do I predict if I will be driving in normal or extreme conditions in the next 10K miles??
      Put a approved 5w30 in and run Premium fuel if your in the mountains easy as that .

    22. #20
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by Kjmack View Post
      Put a approved 5w30 in and run Premium fuel if your in the mountains easy as that .
      Well that can be applied for any car out there lol

    23. #21
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
      A number of companies have 0w-20 that meet Volvo's specs. I've used Special Tec V SAE 0W-20 (5 Liter) - Liqui Moly LM20200 and I've got a case of Rowe HIGHTEC SYNT RSV SAE 0W-20 (article number 20260) coming in for the next oil change.
      Why are you switching from the Liqui Moly to ROWE? better brand ?
      I wish we can find the Castrol Edge Professional V in the US Market, I emailed Castrol about availability and they said this oil is only for dealerships.

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Posts
      74
      Quote Originally Posted by volvjoe View Post
      Why are you switching from the Liqui Moly to ROWE? better brand ?
      I wish we can find the Castrol Edge Professional V in the US Market, I emailed Castrol about availability and they said this oil is only for dealerships.
      We race in the American Endurance Racing series, and https://www.eeuroparts.com/ is a sponsor. We won a race and one of the prizes was a $100 gift card from them. Eeuroparts carries Rowe not Liqui Moly, so I'm giving it a try for free :-)

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      234
      Quote Originally Posted by volvjoe View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Wampo View Post
      Attachment isn't showing but I'm only seeing that 0w20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions. I believe 5w30 applies for normal driving conditions.

      '15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray
      It should be visible now I reloaded the attachement, I was reading that since that engine-specific 0w20(vcc rbs0-2ae/sae) is not available in the US Market they switched to 5w30.

      Volvo doesn't offer a definition for "Extreme Driving Conditions" also it uses the same words in the Octane rating with minimum of 87 octane for the Drive-E engines and then higher octane is recommened for Extreme driving conditions.. I assume that since I live in Mountains area with Humid weather that this is considered Extreme conditions?

      Many car makers tend to use the 0w20 for increased fuel economy and more performance, Volvo Custom made this 0w20 oil for the Drive-E engines.. it's not any 0w20 SAE oil it's the Volvo vcc rbs0-2ae/sae 0w20

      Also as a driver how do I predict if I will be driving in normal or extreme conditions in the next 10K miles??
      0w20 for more performance ? Where are you getting that hogwash ? Oil pressure drops way off using a thin oil in performance cars and temps skyrocket . Your way over thinking your oil .Let me guess your doing 10k changes also . If your worried about keeping your engine healthy don't do 10k oil changes . And yeah LOL that goes for any car too.
      Last edited by Kjmack; 12-27-2018 at 09:56 AM.

    26. #24
      Member p.rico's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Location
      Wilmington, DE
      Posts
      1,160
      Quote Originally Posted by Kjmack View Post
      Let me guess your doing 10k changes also . If your worried about keeping your engine healthy don't do 10k oil changes . And yeah LOL that goes for any car too.
      I've had more than a few intervals into the 9K mile mark and all have come back with metal ppm numbers in line with universal averages taken around 4-5K miles. If all you're doing is driving normal commute, you can do 10K with no adverse effects using a quality oil. This is on 30 weight FWIW.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      234
      Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Kjmack View Post
      Let me guess your doing 10k changes also . If your worried about keeping your engine healthy don't do 10k oil changes . And yeah LOL that goes for any car too.
      I've had more than a few intervals into the 9K mile mark and all have come back with metal ppm numbers in line with universal averages taken around 4-5K miles. If all you're doing is driving normal commute, you can do 10K with no adverse effects using a quality oil. This is on 30 weight FWIW.
      Metal is never going to be that high unless you have bigger issues . It's the carbon in a GDI that is so small it can't be measured .

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by Kjmack View Post
      0w20 for more performance ? Where are you getting that hogwash ? Oil pressure drops way off using a thin oil in performance cars and temps skyrocket . Your way over thinking your oil .Let me guess your doing 10k changes also . If your worried about keeping your engine healthy don't do 10k oil changes . And yeah LOL that goes for any car too.
      Easy there. 0w20 should give better fuel economy if that is the performance he is looking for. It's also possible the 0w20 oil would improve the start/stop stuttering a lot of people complain about in these engines.


      I'm of the opinion that fresher oil trumps expensive oil on long OCI. Why not try both and decide? Oil changes are not expensive - especially if you're DIY.

      On the topic of extreme driving conditions, taking Volvo's chart for oil viscosity - it appears to be defined as ambient temperatures below -30C (-22 in freedom units) where 5/6 cyl engines need 0W-30 and 4 cyl engines need 0w-20. It makes sense from a physics standpoint but isn't spelled out in the manual.
      2017 V60 P*

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      234
      Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Kjmack View Post
      0w20 for more performance ? Where are you getting that hogwash ? Oil pressure drops way off using a thin oil in performance cars and temps skyrocket . Your way over thinking your oil .Let me guess your doing 10k changes also . If your worried about keeping your engine healthy don't do 10k oil changes . And yeah LOL that goes for any car too.
      Easy there. 0w20 should give better fuel economy if that is the performance he is looking for. It's also possible the 0w20 oil would improve the start/stop stuttering a lot of people complain about in these engines.


      I'm of the opinion that fresher oil trumps expensive oil on long OCI. Why not try both and decide? Oil changes are not expensive - especially if you're DIY.

      On the topic of extreme driving conditions, taking Volvo's chart for oil viscosity - it appears to be defined as ambient temperatures below -30C (-22 in freedom units) where 5/6 cyl engines need 0W-30 and 4 cyl engines need 0w-20. It makes sense from a physics standpoint but isn't spelled out in the manual.
      totally with you on fresher oil Trump's boutique oil long intervals ." Freedom units" love it never heard it LOL

    30. #28
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by jwasilko View Post
      We race in the American Endurance Racing series, and https://www.eeuroparts.com/ is a sponsor. We won a race and one of the prizes was a $100 gift card from them. Eeuroparts carries Rowe not Liqui Moly, so I'm giving it a try for free :-)
      Oh great! congrats on the win!
      I might just go with the Liqui-Moly if I couldn't source the Castrol Professional Edge V
      I wonder what made you switch to the 0w20 instead of 5w30?

    31. #29
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by Venth View Post
      Easy there. 0w20 should give better fuel economy if that is the performance he is looking for. It's also possible the 0w20 oil would improve the start/stop stuttering a lot of people complain about in these engines.


      I'm of the opinion that fresher oil trumps expensive oil on long OCI. Why not try both and decide? Oil changes are not expensive - especially if you're DIY.

      On the topic of extreme driving conditions, taking Volvo's chart for oil viscosity - it appears to be defined as ambient temperatures below -30C (-22 in freedom units) where 5/6 cyl engines need 0W-30 and 4 cyl engines need 0w-20. It makes sense from a physics standpoint but isn't spelled out in the manual.
      Also I'm still not sure about the Volvo definition of Extreme Conditions, I need to emails them after the break and get that cleared, in other parts of the manual they list (Mountain driving, Towing, Humid area,..) as extreme conditions.
      And you mentioned those tempretatures, do you think having this oil in the summer is not a good idea?

    32. #30
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by Kjmack View Post
      0w20 for more performance ? Where are you getting that hogwash ? Oil pressure drops way off using a thin oil in performance cars and temps skyrocket . Your way over thinking your oil .Let me guess your doing 10k changes also . If your worried about keeping your engine healthy don't do 10k oil changes . And yeah LOL that goes for any car too.
      Well don't you think if it's more slick inside the cylinder that it will make the movement easier and therefor increase performance even by a little bit?
      but for the fuel economy I was reading that it's a sure gain 3.5% to 5.0+% MPG which translates into 1 to 2 extra MPG.. not too bad I'll take it

    33. #31
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      While doing the research I found this post by user (TonyJag) about 0W20 being the original oil for Drive-E cars:

      "Our dealer found the following in their Volvo diagnostic system under the design and function section:
      "Oil system - General
      The engines from the VEA family have an oil system with a variable oil pump, piston cooling and oil level sensor. Service intervals are 30,000km/one year (market dependent). The engine oil used is a fully synthetic oil with SAE 0W20 viscosity with designation VCC RBS0-2AE. The oil, which is specially developed for Volvo, must be used in all markets. The exception is the USA where, due to legal requirements on the market, ACEA A5/B5 5W30 is used. In order to optimize the engine's internal friction, the lubrication system has a fully variable oil pump. The oil pump's variable displacement contributes to reduced fuel consumption. None of the engines in the VEA family have a dipstick.""

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      234
      Quote Originally Posted by volvjoe View Post
      While doing the research I found this post by user (TonyJag) about 0W20 being the original oil for Drive-E cars:

      "Our dealer found the following in their Volvo diagnostic system under the design and function section:
      "Oil system - General
      The engines from the VEA family have an oil system with a variable oil pump, piston cooling and oil level sensor. Service intervals are 30,000km/one year (market dependent). The engine oil used is a fully synthetic oil with SAE 0W20 viscosity with designation VCC RBS0-2AE. The oil, which is specially developed for Volvo, must be used in all markets. The exception is the USA where, due to legal requirements on the market, ACEA A5/B5 5W30 is used. In order to optimize the engine's internal friction, the lubrication system has a fully variable oil pump. The oil pump's variable displacement contributes to reduced fuel consumption. None of the engines in the VEA family have a dipstick.""
      Interesting , I wonder if cars sent to the U.S. markets are in anyway different than their counterparts elsewhere ? You would think there would be more out there on this subject .My gut feelings are I really don't have alot of faith in Volvo engineer's . That's why I don't do long intervals I guess .
      Last edited by Kjmack; 12-28-2018 at 10:30 AM.

    35. #33
      Junior Member volvjoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2017
      Location
      Charleston, WV
      Posts
      347
      Quote Originally Posted by Kjmack View Post
      Interesting , I wonder if cars sent to the U.S. markets are in anyway different than their counterparts elsewhere ? You would think there would be more out there on this subject .My gut feelings are I really don't have alot of faith in Volvo engineer's . That's why I don't do long intervals I guess .
      Well at least now we know the truth, 0W20 RBS0-2AE is the main and factory oil for the Drive-E, but due to regulations they hooked us up (US Market) with a generic 5W30 instead of the Custom-made Engine-Specific 0W20 RBS0-2AE that is Drive-E Exclusive.

      I'm definietly buying 0W20 RBS0-2AE for my next oil change, I found Liqui Moly 20200 for $30\5Quartz online.

      And regarding your question whether cars sent to US markets are different... I don't know but I think Drive-E is a Drive-E usually they don't redesign the engine to fit a specific market oil. my S60 is made in Sweden, and if I'm not mistaken the North America Volvo S60 is identical (US+Canada) they only change the Setting to KM instead of Mi for the speedometer at dealerships pre-delivery.
      Last edited by volvjoe; 12-28-2018 at 12:16 PM.

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by volvjoe View Post
      While doing the research I found this post by user (TonyJag) about 0W20 being the original oil for Drive-E cars:

      "Our dealer found the following in their Volvo diagnostic system under the design and function section:
      "Oil system - General
      The engines from the VEA family have an oil system with a variable oil pump, piston cooling and oil level sensor. Service intervals are 30,000km/one year (market dependent). The engine oil used is a fully synthetic oil with SAE 0W20 viscosity with designation VCC RBS0-2AE. The oil, which is specially developed for Volvo, must be used in all markets. The exception is the USA where, due to legal requirements on the market, ACEA A5/B5 5W30 is used. In order to optimize the engine's internal friction, the lubrication system has a fully variable oil pump. The oil pump's variable displacement contributes to reduced fuel consumption. None of the engines in the VEA family have a dipstick.""
      That post is is very old going back to 2014. Castrol has long lost the monopoly on Volvo spec oil (e.g. Motul, Total, Mobil, etc) yet Volvo still recommends 5W-30 on their latest 2019 North American cars.
      It would be worth looking into the latest online VIDA to check the most updated information. Did you hear anything back from Volvo?
      2017 V60 P*

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      281
      Quote Originally Posted by Kjmack View Post
      Interesting , I wonder if cars sent to the U.S. markets are in anyway different than their counterparts elsewhere ? You would think there would be more out there on this subject .My gut feelings are I really don't have alot of faith in Volvo engineer's . That's why I don't do long intervals I guess .
      Absolutely, local regulations are the biggest source of this. A great example of this would be towing rating and factory installed hitches available between European and North American vehicles due to stronger US regulations on tow stability.
      For something more on-topic: 2018 Polestar cars in the USA run a smaller capacity oil pan (page 375) while the UK (page 423) run the same size as the other engines.
      2017 V60 P*

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast