Not exactly outdoor season, but curious if anyone is using a hatch-mounted Bicycle Rack on their XC90?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Not exactly outdoor season, but curious if anyone is using a hatch-mounted Bicycle Rack on their XC90?

I'm too short to do a roof rack, and I don't want to spend $1k and get a hitch installed, so I'm looking into the hatch-mounts but I've never done one and am concerned. Anyone use one? Looks like the Yakima HangOut is listed as a match but I'm open to any make/model.
      2019 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think most people are too short to put a bicycle on the roof of a xc90.

I have not tried a hatch mounted on the xc90 but the gut feeling says itís not very good if you need to open etc.

I use a plastic box to stand on when I put bikes on the roof. The box is filled with stuff I need in the car anyway e.g. fire extinguisher etc.

Donít know if these are for sale in USA but I use one of these (note double lid is needed if itís warm in the car).
      http://www.orthexgroup.com/products/...e-pro-31-black
      Volvo XC90 T6 2018 Twilight Bronze

Not sure what your level of 'do it yourself' is, but there are several alternatives to the more expensive OEM hitch. I installed a Draw Tite that was a little more than $125. The bike rack was around $150 on sale. Get a friend to help you. There are videos on YouTube as well as the seller's website. I have done a roof rack for bikes once in my life back in the 1980s and that is the last time I will pursue that. While they work, I think they are a pain. None of us are tall enough, plus it is easy to ding the roof/panoramic window. I have done several hatch mounted bike racks and will never do another. They will scratch your hatch as the padding collects dirt and dust and grinds into the paint.
      Last edited by drmanny3; 12-31-2018 at 10:07 AM.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Please don't put a hatch mount bike rack on your beautiful XC90. The cost to repaint it after it gets all scuffed up from the rack will far exceed the cost for hitch installation.
      Dailys: 2015 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar - Passion Red / 2019 Ford F-150 Raptor / 2019 VW Golf R 6MT (On order)
      Fun: 2004 Porsche 911 GT3 (Trailered track monster)
      Prior Cars of Note - 2018 XC90 T8 RD, 2013 C70, 2004 V40, 2005 Lotus Elise S/C, 2003 Porsche 911 C2, 1982 Porsche 911SC, 1995 Range Rover County LWB, 1964 Corvair Spyder convertible, A Bunch of Saabs
      Quote: "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae

Quote Originally Posted by xc90_2018 View Post
      I think most people are too short to put a bicycle on the roof of a xc90.

I have not tried a hatch mounted on the xc90 but the gut feeling says itís not very good if you need to open etc.

I use a plastic box to stand on when I put bikes on the roof. The box is filled with stuff I need in the car anyway e.g. fire extinguisher etc.

Donít know if these are for sale in USA but I use one of these (note double lid is needed if itís warm in the car).
      http://www.orthexgroup.com/products/...e-pro-31-black
      Iím on the same page as you but I use a folding step stool that I already owned similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I17BCNC..._hxKkCb9R2ER0M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ĒAdventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.Ē

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements