Seattle OSD Sales Tax, Title, Registration and RTA Experiences
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Seattle OSD Sales Tax, Title, Registration and RTA Experiences

Can anyone from the Seattle area please share their OSD experience upon the Titling and Registration of their vehicle?

Am I correct to say that the Sales Tax was NOT paid when ordering the OSD as the delivery of the vehicle is Overseas, thus ONLY UPON the Title and Registration back in the US, that I would need to pay the Sales Tax directly to the DMV (I assume there is a small fee for CC payments at the DMV)?

- Was the Sales Tax of 10.3% calculated from the purchase price of the vehicle upon the Title and Registration at the DMV?
      - Or was it based on the Use Tax from the Price Digest since the car is technically imported back into the US and is Used?

I understand the RTA is calculated on the MSRP of the base price of the vehicle determined by the DMV and not the purchase price.

Also do the dealers here still charge the doc fee if I were do the Title and Registration myself?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I let dealer handle it, with doc fee and tax on sales price. It will still be based on sales price like a new car if you choose to pay dmv by yourself at registration time.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by mustardketchup View Post
      Can anyone from the Seattle area please share their OSD experience upon the Titling and Registration of their vehicle?

Am I correct to say that the Sales Tax was NOT paid when ordering the OSD as the delivery of the vehicle is Overseas, thus ONLY UPON the Title and Registration back in the US, that I would need to pay the Sales Tax directly to the DMV (I assume there is a small fee for CC payments at the DMV)?

- Was the Sales Tax of 10.3% calculated from the purchase price of the vehicle upon the Title and Registration at the DMV?
      - Or was it based on the Use Tax from the Price Digest since the car is technically imported back into the US and is Used?

I understand the RTA is calculated on the MSRP of the base price of the vehicle determined by the DMV and not the purchase price.

Also do the dealers here still charge the doc fee if I were do the Title and Registration myself?

Thanks!
      We financed through Volvo financial, the sales tax was wrapped into that and calculated on the total price of a new car. Licensing/registration fees were also wrapped into the finance deal. We paid a 3000.00 order deposit upfront. When the car was delivered to Seattle Volvo we were notified that they needed a Certificate of Origin which was provided at the Factory Delivery Center. I FedEx’d that document, they took it to the DMV and did all of the requisite paperwork. Plates were on the car two days later when I went pick up the V90. No document fees were charged by Seattle Volvo.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Can't speak about Washington state, but that's the way it worked for me. Bought through a dealer over the river in Ohio, then when it came I registered it in Kentucky where I live.

Was the Sales Tax of 10.3% calculated from the purchase price of the vehicle upon the Title and Registration at the DMV?
      That's how it works here.

No doc fee here on an OSD car.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

[QUOTE=mustardketchup;7204557]Can anyone from the Seattle area please share their OSD experience upon the Titling and Registration of their vehicle?

While my dealer (Bob Kennedy) didn't, and doesn't, charge a DOC fee, from what I've read on this site over the years that's not the case with every dealer. That's definitely an important question to ask up front. YMMV.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

10.3%....ouchie

no sales tax in oregon. Or yearly tag tax on the value of the car. About a hundert years ago I renewed my plates in Tacoma. That is when i found out that the tag tax is on the value of your car. I was not prepared for that
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Happy New Year.

You’re going to have loads of fun if you opt for OSD!

Cheers!
      Bill

Late reply but I live in Seattle and recently did OSD in the manner you are asking about.

1. I used Bob Kennedy so not a Seattle dealer but that is irrelevant and you should be able to avoid doc fees as per below by doing them yourself if you want.

2. Whether or not you pay the sales tax up front may depend on how you purchase/finance. It is not required up front - Volvo just needs the car invoice itself paid. I didn't want to pay the sales tax any earlier than required. I used lightstream to finance a portion and they just provide unsecured loans so it didn't matter but it's possible that a local fuddly dealer or another lender that takes a lien may require sales tax payment up front. But again it is not required by Volvo as far as the OSD purchase goes if you wish to hold off.

3. I took the paperwork to local DOL agent prior to picking up the car here stateside. Dealer does not need to do it for you (and thus no need for doc fee). You will get necessary customs invoice in email from the Volvo customs broker. That along with the MSO and Swedish title provided to you by Volvo is all you need.

4. I had hoped that DOL agent would process the car as used or something but their computer system has a process that seems to make it impossible to get around. It is entered in as a NEW vehicle. So had to pay full sales tax on the full price I paid on the paperwork. Plus RTA tax, title, etc. OUCH. As much as I kept looking for loopholes I was prepared for it. It is what it is.

5. Do not plan to pay by CC - as you suggest there is a huge fee for that. I used debit or just write a check. Otherwise the process is really straightforward and easy. Plate provided immediately and title arrives a week later.

Hope that helps.
      Last edited by nquery; 01-01-2019 at 12:00 PM.
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

The no sales tax in oregon isn't exactly true, effective Jan 1, 2018 Oregon passed a vehicle privilege tax which taxes new car sellers for the privilege of selling vehicles. The tax can be passed on to the buyer so call it what you want but if the dealership passes it on to the buyer then in my opinion it is a sales tax on new cars. The charge is one-half of 1 percent is due on the retail price of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by vr2660 View Post
      The no sales tax in oregon isn't exactly true, effective Jan 1, 2018 Oregon passed a vehicle privilege tax which taxes new car sellers for the privilege of selling vehicles. The tax can be passed on to the buyer so call it what you want but if the dealership passes it on to the buyer then in my opinion it is a sales tax on new cars. The charge is one-half of 1 percent is due on the retail price of the vehicle.
      I did not this.

For Washington residents it's pretty chancy to get Oregon plates and live in Wa. The WSP patrols the bridges pretty heavily
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      Late reply but I live in Seattle and recently did OSD in the manner you are asking about.

1. I used Bob Kennedy so not a Seattle dealer but that is irrelevant and you should be able to avoid doc fees as per below by doing them yourself if you want.

2. Whether or not you pay the sales tax up front may depend on how you purchase/finance. It is not required up front - Volvo just needs the car invoice itself paid. I didn't want to pay the sales tax any earlier than required. I used lightstream to finance a portion and they just provide unsecured loans so it didn't matter but it's possible that a local fuddly dealer or another lender that takes a lien may require sales tax payment up front. But again it is not required by Volvo as far as the OSD purchase goes if you wish to hold off.

3. I took the paperwork to local DOL agent prior to picking up the car here stateside. Dealer does not need to do it for you (and thus no need for doc fee). You will get necessary customs invoice in email from the Volvo customs broker. That along with the MSO and Swedish title provided to you by Volvo is all you need.

4. I had hoped that DOL agent would process the car as used or something but their computer system has a process that seems to make it impossible to get around. It is entered in as a NEW vehicle. So had to pay full sales tax on the full price I paid on the paperwork. Plus RTA tax, title, etc. OUCH. As much as I kept looking for loopholes I was prepared for it. It is what it is.

5. Do not plan to pay by CC - as you suggest there is a huge fee for that. I used debit or just write a check. Otherwise the process is really straightforward and easy. Plate provided immediately and title arrives a week later.

Hope that helps.
      If you handle the paperwork on your own, is the Washington State sales tax rate still based on the dealer location, or your home location? I don't live in Seattle, and the sales tax rate where I live is much lower than Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by kbh View Post

Hope that helps.
      If you handle the paperwork on your own, is the Washington State sales tax rate still based on the dealer location, or your home location? I don't live in Seattle, and the sales tax rate where I live is much lower than Seattle.
      The sales tax is based on your home address, not the dealers. Lucky you.
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

For this, sure. But it is a pain trying to get in and out of the city.

Thanks for the reply.

Hope that helps.
      I just wanted to follow up by saying your instructions were perfect and I had no issues with getting my plates. Thank you.

when i ordered my OSD V60 CC, I paid the sales tax through the dealer. Registration fees will be paid when you actually take delivery of the car from the dealer. The dealer will take care of the paperwork.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements