SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Finally test drove the 2019 S60 RD today

11K views 67 replies 19 participants last post by  n a m 
#1 · (Edited)
2019 S60 R-Design T6 with Polestar, Sport suspension, Exterior appearance package, Rear heated seats, and most other options. First demo car just arrived at my local dealer here in Colorado.

First impressions...The car is beautiful in person. Photos do not do it justice.

Suspension and handling are remarkable. The car is very planted with zero body roll. I'd be curious how the 4C suspension option compares.

R-Design seats are now leather centers with outside accents in cordura-like cloth. Visually they look good. You definitely slide around more in them than in the past Nubuck RD seats. They are easier to get in and out of because they are less "grippy".

The car is remarkably quiet...I expect the T8 to be even much quieter like it is in other models due to increase insulation.

Acceleration and shifting are very smooth. The car is definitely setup for comfortable and mild performance driving, but does not feel as high performance as I expected it to. I do expect the T8 to be a lot faster and more powerful as it is in other models. Look forward to driving one.

Rear legroom is vastly improved over our current 2015 S60 RD...and front legroom is also noticeably better.

Some information I got from my dealer -

- S60 T8's likely won't be arriving until late summer 2019 and 2019 T8's may be very few if any, they may be 2020's.
- PA3 upgrade should come out mid-summer 2019 which uses the GPS now to help improve guidance. All Sensus cars will be able to have the upgrade.
- Headlights are marked for Active Beam Headlight System, but of course this system is still illegal in the USA. Dealer was not sure if they can be activated when federal DOT lifts the ban on them as anticipated in 2019.
- Sensus processor is 50% faster starting in 2019, and that was very clear in using the touchscreen compared to my 2018 XC90.
- Google-based interface will replace Sensus by late 2019MY or early 2020MY (so I assume by late summer 2019). Dealer is not sure if the Sensus based cars will be able to be upgraded or not but thinks they will be.
- Power trunk will be Inscription only on the S60
- 4-zone climate control will be Inscription only
- Rear window side shades eliminated on all trim levels

Overall I am really impressed with the car. I feel like compared to the competition this is a lot more car for the same (or less) money.

Here are a bunch of photos I took:

See less See more
#2 ·
- Headlights are marked for Active Beam Headlight System, but of course this system is still illegal in the USA. Dealer was not sure if they can be activated when federal DOT lifts the ban on them as anticipated in 2019.

- Google-based interface will replace Sensus by late 2019MY or early 2020MY (so I assume by late summer 2019). Dealer is not sure if the Sensus based cars will be able to be upgraded or not but thinks they will be.
It would be nice if Volvo addressed both of these questions. If matrix headlights and the android automotive infotainment system can't be upgraded via software (even at cost), these are two big reasons to hold off until MY2020 (at least for me since I want to order a V60 next year).

#3 ·
I have heard Audi is shipping their 2019s with the active headlights in place, just disabled, they will offer a dealer activation once the feds announce the legalization of them. As you see in the last photo I posted the new S60's headlights are labeled with the active system... Makes me wonder if Volvo is doing the same. My dealer was not sure but said he would ask the regional manager.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Beautiful car! What are active headlights?

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Basically it's an LED headlight system that is on high beam all the time then using the camera and radar system it blacks out on coming vehicles so your headlights look dim to them. No more low/high beams. Been in use in Europe and other countries for awhile now but due to some antequated regulations in the USA they have not been allowed here. The word is the regulations are going to change in 2019 to allow them. The XC90/XC60 have had them in other countries since new.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Spent time in the showroom floor car. This car is very low ( low roofline). Therefore The front windshield is abnormally narrow, and I would have to lower the seat way down to see up (to see a traffic light if close to it for example) . Not a good design. Lowering the seat more than I otherwise would, also can't see over the hood very well..............

#12 ·
Interesting. How tall are you? I am 5'8" and did not notice any issue with this while driving.

#20 ·
Thanks for posting.

I think you're missing my question. The video addresses "actual" light intensity directed on near outline of oncoming vehicles, but not the rest of the area. I am asking about perceived high beams on vs. high beams off. Using this video as support, though the specific few lenses within the array/assembly are lowered for a given oncoming vehicle(s), the other (majority?) lenses do not. So an on-coming vehicle from a distance will perceive the array relatively unchanged, still very bright surrounds. Yes, the actual direct intensity exposure will be at a low beam level, but the lights will "appear" to have not been switched from the distance high beam to the nearer low beam, as is common with the majority of vehicles (on or off). I have to assume the natural inclination of the oncoming drivers, would be to flash you for leaving your high beams on. I'll have to see this in person to fairly comment.

#21 ·
Thanks for posting.

I think you're missing my question. The video addresses "actual" light intensity directed on near outline of oncoming vehicles, but not the rest of the area. I am asking about perceived high beams on vs. high beams off. Using this video as support, though the specific few lenses within the array/assembly are lowered for a given oncoming vehicle(s), the other (majority?) lenses do not. So an on-coming vehicle from a distance will perceive the array relatively unchanged, still very bright surrounds. Yes, the actual direct intensity exposure will be at a low beam level, but the lights will "appear" to have not been switched from the distance high beam to the nearer low beam, as is common with the majority of vehicles (on or off). I have to assume the natural inclination of the oncoming drivers, would be to flash you for leaving your high beams on. I'll have to see this in person to fairly comment.
I suppose if you were staring at the headlamps of the oncoming vehicle it may look brighter. Remember brights aren't usually brighter they are just adjusted (or shuttered) differently to a higher cutoff than lowbeams.

#22 ·
Highly agree with your review. Although it does handle well, something was missing in performance to be as "dynamic" as volvo claims it is. Though, nothing in the class is a jack of all trades like the S60 is, as the a4 and c class are too boring and the super dynamic g70, ats, and giulia have no room

#27 ·
So you test drove a broken-in new S60 T6 RD with the Polestar software for an extended period, with premium fuel in the tank, and made sure the front spring shipping spacers were removed and the tires were at proper psi? Oh and did you put it through its paces on proper back roads?

What exactly was not "dynamic"? the engine? the handling? I don't know a hole lot about the G70, but the Caddy and the Alpha are crap construction, so I'll trade .03 G's on the skidpad to skip those. Compared to your XC70 it should feel like a Ferrari. I'm sure it easily out handles that HMS XJ also. ;)

#26 ·
oh wait, he has a Jag, so he already lives at the shop. a jag and an alfa, one could go mad? lol

#32 · (Edited)
Maybe you know something I don't ? I'm ONLY on my 4th Jag (must have missed all the bad ones 4 times in a row - lucky me), so I defer to your obvious vast Jag ownership experience, and am on my way to make a shop appointment - just in case.

#33 ·
lol, i didn't say you owned a jag; you were telling the guy who owns a jag to get an alfa, which is ps poor advise ;)

#36 ·
I have to agree. I did find it interesting that there is an exhaust blip at higher rev gear changes - not sure if it is rev matching or just a gimmick?

#39 ·
Currently I own a 3.0L S60RD! I was really worried about the 4 especially since the early models didn't sound very good. But Volvo clearly did something different to exhaust and the supercharger whine which is great since exhausts/polestar parts seem to be a thing of the past. It sounds really good and kinda growls, cant wait to get into one in a few years, makes the ride in Dynamic mode exciting :^) It will be interesting to see if all future Volvo's sound like this!

#41 ·
See a Fusion Red RD S60 this morning at my local dealer, with window stick. No protection cover on hood. Not sure if it is a demo or a stock car.
Seems every dealer gets one demo car now.

It is early morning and no one is trying a test drive. The service department is very busy though. :) Seems many cars are due for yearly maintenance.

#44 ·
Well, I just test drove one in very similar configuration (T6 R-design, minus Polestar) this morning. I agree with pretty much every point Nickshu made below.

The car looks better in person than in photos. Originally I was kind of put off by design of the backside, but it is starting to grow on me.

Handling is excellent, with non-existent body roll or nose dive. Much better steering compared to the P3 generation. Suspension is way more compliant and forgiving than the previous generation R-design, even with 19" wheels. Admittedly I was in Comfort mode most of the time, but considering how stable the body felt while turning and braking, I personally would never bother to use a firmer setting. R-design seats are actually quite comfortable! I was pleasantly surprised by this, since I felt that Inscription Luxury seats in my wife's '18 XC60 are too firm, and not bolstered enough. I actually really liked the textile elements. Interior design overall is top-notch, fit and finish is excellent (made in USA yay :)).

One minor disappointment was the relatively modest torque off the line with the T6. I was expecting more pull in the first two gears. Once it gets going, it is plenty powerful, and accelerating on a freeway is not a problem. I predict that if/when Volvo starts offering T5 with AWD, it will be the configuration of choice for most buyers. Or, maybe Polestar optimization is truly necessary to fully realize T6 capabilities?. Second minor negative is that Sensus boot up is still slow. I timed it at 18 sec after engine start to the map loading. This is just too long. Once it is up, it is faster to respond than the one in my wife's SUV. Climate controls being physical knobs would alleviate this problem for me (hint hint Volvo).

PS. I am still confused by Volvo online configurator - option list keeps changing every month. Specifically, I would be interested in 4C suspension, but it seems no longer available for R-design (again). And Volvo better offer Bursting Blue for MY2020 (or at least metallic black) - the color selection this year is terrible.

2019 S60 R-Design T6 with Polestar, Sport suspension, Exterior appearance package, Rear heated seats, and most other options. First demo car just arrived at my local dealer here in Colorado.

First impressions...The car is beautiful in person. Photos do not do it justice.

Suspension and handling are remarkable. The car is very planted with zero body roll. I'd be curious how the 4C suspension option compares.

R-Design seats are now leather centers with outside accents in cordura-like cloth. Visually they look good. You definitely slide around more in them than in the past Nubuck RD seats. They are easier to get in and out of because they are less "grippy".

The car is remarkably quiet...I expect the T8 to be even much quieter like it is in other models due to increase insulation.

Acceleration and shifting are very smooth. The car is definitely setup for comfortable and mild performance driving, but does not feel as high performance as I expected it to. I do expect the T8 to be a lot faster and more powerful as it is in other models. Look forward to driving one.

Rear legroom is vastly improved over our current 2015 S60 RD...and front legroom is also noticeably better.

Some information I got from my dealer -

- S60 T8's likely won't be arriving until late summer 2019 and 2019 T8's may be very few if any, they may be 2020's.
- PA3 upgrade should come out mid-summer 2019 which uses the GPS now to help improve guidance. All Sensus cars will be able to have the upgrade.
- Sensus processor is 50% faster starting in 2019, and that was very clear in using the touchscreen compared to my 2018 XC90.
- Power trunk will be Inscription only on the S60
- 4-zone climate control will be Inscription only
- Rear window side shades eliminated on all trim levels

Overall I am really impressed with the car. I feel like compared to the competition this is a lot more car for the same (or less) money.

#46 ·
Bootup is better....sales rep said it's something like 40% faster now...but it's still slow. In Volvo's defense how does it compare to booting up your cell phone or iPad? Essentially doing the same thing.

#66 ·
There was some discussion early on in this thread about the matrix headlights which brought me over after a search. Some of those questions were speculation. Anyway, this thread has a link to the video below that might answer those. Next time I'm at the dealer I'll see if this is an option that they can turn on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.