Hello Audi, Goodbye [soon] Volvo
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hello Audi, Goodbye [soon] Volvo

Well I pulled the trigger on the allroad today. 2014 with 52k miles, Premium Plus model, Sports Interior, brown leather and aluminum trim. It has an extended warranty until 120k miles or 2025 (covers most stuff on the car). Only issue is the subwoofer is not working and there's a broken visor clip. However if the warranty doesn't cover that, it should be an easy/cheap fix (replacement sub is $120). I paid $21.6k

Coming from the S40 with 170k miles, the allroad is exceptionally quiet/insulated (there is zero engine sound), comfortable, and refined. The ZF8 is excellent for a torque converter. Disappointingly it does not allow you to hold a gear (it will upshift automatically at redline). Fun factor is lower than the S40 but I was well aware of that going in. On the flipside it's very relaxing to just cruise slowly. Acceleration is noticeably better in the S40, even with the antiquated AW55. It's stronger off the line and just overall torquier feeling.

We'll see I when I get the sub fixed, and I'm no audiophile, but the Bang Olufsen stereo is only slighter better than premium sound in the S40 (that really is a good stock sound system).

Favorite thing so far is the lights. Goddamn, xenon headlights are good. That should've been my first mod to the S40 when I got it 5 yrs ago. I didn't really believe how good HIDs were until I experienced them a few hours ago.

2007 S40 T5 AWD

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Love the color of the seats. My past two and current two cars had/ have all black interiors. Methinks I'm over black and will be switching to an interior color along the lines of what you've got there when it's time to replace my XC60.

Lots of luck with it!
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

Banned
      The Audi is a definite major upgrade. The S40 I've always viewed as a cheap car, Volvo's entry level car for people who can't afford the S or a V model etc.

I'm glad you never got HID's in your S40 as the housings were likely not made for an HID bulb which means that an aftermarket kit would have scattered light everywhere blinding oncoming traffic.

People that install aftermarket HID kits into their non HID headlight housings are selfish ignorant a**holes. I used to be one of those people back in 2004-ish when the first aftermarket HID kits hit the consumer market and I installed a 4500k kit in a first gen Mitsubishi Eclipse gsx with the pop up headlights. Pop up HID's were awesome but little did I know I was blinding everyone. Now I know why so many people would flash their brights at me. Today, whenever I see aftermarket HIDs I know immediately and I always bright flash those people in hopes I blind them too.

Those brown leather seats look nice, I bet they are comfy. Enjoy your new ride.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Wow, that's a really nice car. I don't know pricing at all but it seems like a good deal. My co-worker moved over from a Volvo (V70) recently to a new one of these and never looked back. Congrats!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

The B&O Audio systems in those cars is nice. I have that in my wife's Q5 (formerly mine) and we're still happy with it.
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

Not a wagon guy but like the colors and the brown interior. So you're not keeping your S40 at all then? I'm assuming it's paid off and unless you have a lot of issues with it seems silly to get rid of it.
      2010 S40 T5 AWD M66 R-Design (The Unicorn) KW V1 ~ FastCo FC04A ~ Elevate rear sway bar ~ Massive RaceSpec Adjustable Camber Arms ~ Huper Optik 40% ceramic tint ~ Shark Stage 1 Tune ~ Elevate upper and lower manifold ~ Elevate Intake ~ DO88 FMIC ~ EST downpipe ~ Mototec Sport Edition catback

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.brian23 View Post
      Love the color of the seats. My past two and current two cars had/ have all black interiors. Methinks I'm over black and will be switching to an interior color along the lines of what you've got there when it's time to replace my XC60.

Lots of luck with it!
      Yeah I love the brown interior. Would've liked a blue exterior too but you can only be so picky with used cars.

My priority with the allroad was finding one with the sports interior package, which gives seats with much more bolstering, thigh support, and power adjustable lumber. In addition you get paddle shifters.

Quote Originally Posted by S40 R-by-design View Post
      Not a wagon guy but like the colors and the brown interior. So you're not keeping your S40 at all then? I'm assuming it's paid off and unless you have a lot of issues with it seems silly to get rid of it.
      It's paid off, but I don't really see a benefit in keeping it. Might have a different view if it was a manual, but the engine probably needs a rebuild (it knocks under heavy boost, has a cam seal leak) and the auto box is a time bomb- I don't do brake stands and launch it but it's had 50k miles with a Stage 2 tune with the torque limiter removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Wow, that's a really nice car. I don't know pricing at all but it seems like a good deal. My co-worker moved over from a Volvo (V70) recently to a new one of these and never looked back. Congrats!
      Thanks! Unless you need the space of a V70, I'd say the allroad is a much better (albeit more expensive) choice. I looked at a V60 CC but it drove like a far bigger vehicle, even though it's basically the same weight and size.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Thats a really nice car and im sure way more comfortable for daily commutes. Ive been contemplating my next car as well, at 125k miles im sure this ones about to go any day but the car will eventually become an AWD C30 donor car. Hope the new car works out!
      [2005 Volvo S40 2.4i][2008 Volvo S40 T5 AWD][2008 Volvo C3 T5 2.0 RS Build][2009 Volvo V50 T5 AWD R-Design][1987 Buick Grand National] "embody God, then go crazy"

I've considered a new Allroad also in my search, which I've narrowed down to 2019 V60 Cross Country or 2019 Macan. (Yes, Macan, because even though it has less cargo space, it drives like a wagon or sedan, unlke the XC60.) All in the same general price range for me, as I generally am happy with standard options and don't load my cars up with lots of expensive options. But I've come to see the Cross Country wagons and the Macan as superior to the Allroad.

Nice find! How on earth did you get an 11 year/120k warranty on that? I'm assuming it's not through Audi??
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      I've considered a new Allroad also in my search, which I've narrowed down to 2019 V60 Cross Country or 2019 Macan. (Yes, Macan, because even though it has less cargo space, it drives like a wagon or sedan, unlke the XC60.) All in the same general price range for me, as I generally am happy with standard options and don't load my cars up with lots of expensive options. But I've come to see the Cross Country wagons and the Macan as superior to the Allroad.
      I would agree but I'd say compared to the V60 (in T6/T8 trim), it might actually be more reliable since the 2.0T is pretty well ironed out at this point. The new ones have a dual clutch too. The V60 is pretty sexy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Nice find! How on earth did you get an 11 year/120k warranty on that? I'm assuming it's not through Audi??
      The previous owner purchased an extended warranty for $3800, "Audi Platinum", which is managed by Fidelity and seems to cover most systems on the vehicle.

Although it was technically offered by Audi, it sounds like repair work will need to be authorized through Fidelity.
      Last edited by T5CO; 01-09-2019 at 12:57 AM.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Nice car! Audi have always had good lighting setup, no surprise here you are in love with its xenons. Do you have bixenon active ones? (goes up-down, left-right on startup) or you have side-lighting done by LED system or what?
      Not sure if you can have Audi matrix LED systems in USA but once you saw that working.... jawdrop...

BTW what engine is that?
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      Nice car! Audi have always had good lighting setup, no surprise here you are in love with its xenons. Do you have bixenon active ones? (goes up-down, left-right on startup) or you have side-lighting done by LED system or what?
      Not sure if you can have Audi matrix LED systems in USA but once you saw that working.... jawdrop...

BTW what engine is that?
      This just has the standard bi-xenon, non-active. I think we do get the matrix LEDs but I've never seen those in person (at least not behind the wheel).

This has the EA888 2.0T (Gen 2) which is in a ton of VAG products - everything from Alltracks to a Macan. Basically if it's a 1.8T of 2.0T petrol, it's some versions of the EA888. Suffice to say the performance aftermarket is very healthy compared to Volvo. Also the allroad is a Flex Fuel vehicle so I could get an E85 tune (impressive hp #s from just a flash), but it has limited availability in my area.

However I'm going to be holding off on tuning it for a while - the warranty is a nice perk and I don't want to compromise that (yet).
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by T5CO View Post
      This just has the standard bi-xenon, non-active. I think we do get the matrix LEDs but I've never seen those in person (at least not behind the wheel).

This has the EA888 2.0T (Gen 2) which is in a ton of VAG products - everything from Alltracks to a Macan. Basically if it's a 1.8T of 2.0T petrol, it's some versions of the EA888. Suffice to say the performance aftermarket is very healthy compared to Volvo. Also the allroad is a Flex Fuel vehicle so I could get an E85 tune (impressive hp #s from just a flash), but it has limited availability in my area.

However I'm going to be holding off on tuning it for a while - the warranty is a nice perk and I don't want to compromise that (yet).
      Ah yes, 2.0TFSI, thats a nice powerplant, what version is in allroad? (HP I mean?). Even with heavier car that should probably do rings around T5 ?
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

2L TFSI is something like 220hp 250tq in the A4 application.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
      Ah yes, 2.0TFSI, thats a nice powerplant, what version is in allroad? (HP I mean?). Even with heavier car that should probably do rings around T5 ?
      Jirv is right about the HP, 220/258.

The ZF8 is way better than the AW55, but it makes only 20lb/ft more than a stock P1 (and is 300lbs heavier).

Car mags rate it at 6.5s 0-60 (but that's probably with an aggressive brakestand). As far as the butt dyno goes, my stage 2 S40 feels a good bit quicker, especially at 60+ mph. The allroad definitely doesn't struggle but it also doesn't punch you back in the seat (maybe due to softer suspension?).
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Great frickin' cars! I'm glad Audi brought the Allroad back. Congrat!! Pretty sure yours got the adjustable ride-height? It's fun watching the car being lowered/raised on a touch of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
      Great frickin' cars! I'm glad Audi brought the Allroad back. Congrat!! Pretty sure yours got the adjustable ride-height? It's fun watching the car being lowered/raised on a touch of a button.
      Thanks! And these new allroads (A4 based instead of A6) don't have air suspension anymore. It's basically a glorified avant. Which is fine by me- it has enough clearance for camping and hiking on rough roads. It just doesn't have the capability to do borderline rock crawling like the old one. Took one to Moab last year with a buddy and those things are beasts (but it had problems with the air susp the entire time):

2007 S40 T5 AWD

Still great nonetheless. One thing to keep in mind: keep an eye on the oil-level and always keep a quart handy. These VAG cars are thirsty!
      Last edited by 80sGuy; 01-15-2019 at 11:50 AM.

What happened to your s40? Partout?
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

Quote Originally Posted by thefisch33 View Post
      What happened to your s40? Partout?
      Sitting on the street until I'm motivated to clean it and make a craigslist ad (probably this weekend).

I didn't save the stock IC and the DP isn't really something I can replace myself. So pretty much the only partout will be the Snabb pipe and the summer wheel set. And maybe the roof and bike racks.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements