XC40 Rear seat dome light - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Maybe this new accessory will help with interior light.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-516605/2019

Kris
      2019 XC40 Momentum black

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

$?

Don't know.

Kris
      2019 XC40 Momentum black

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You can order the other side hook from the dealership. IIRC it was about $10. I got one.

Quote Originally Posted by OsmiumG View Post
      new member here, glad Iím not the only one with this concern. I bought my car during the day so I never even considered that rear lights would be an issue in a 40K+ car until night time when I clicked the unlocked button only to find a totally dark rear seat space (& no the front map lights do not illuminate the rear at all). Iím used to having my interior set to light up with unlock on my prior car (a Honda CRV) that I noticed the omission of lights immediately.

hereís a list of basic things that Iím fairly disappointed in my first ever Volvo Momentum:
      -the aforementioned rear lights
      -no blind spot monitoring standard. the blind spot in this car is huge. i noticed it in my test drive but I was ok with it. but it really should be standard because Iíve been in some situations where I couldnít see anything when changing lanes only to be met with a honking horn from another driver that I obviously did not see.
      -the manual passenger seat sucks. it absolutely sucks. my friend couldnít figure how to adjust the seatback - itís this chunky circle thatís way too big and way too stiff to crank.
      - the rear headrests do not flip down! itís only available with an optional package. want better rear visibility with the rear view? forget about it
      - the heating system is flawed. it doesnít warm up fast enough then after about 10 minutes of driving itís an oven inside.
      -the rear camera isnít protected from the elements. when itís pouring, the backup camera is useless. and without the optional rear cross traffic alert plus that blind spot, youíre out of luck
      - the inside hooks. whereas in other cars you get 2 grab handles and something that acts as a coat hanger hook, apparently we only get one. i noticed the empty hole and asked the salesman why only one side has it and he says itís for other optional equipment to hook on to. so why not just give us 2 hooks instead of leaving a unattractive open area?

And trust me I love the car but there are these little details that leave me scratching my head considering this carís asking price.
      I was one of the lucky ones to have got hold of a fully loaded First Edition UK model. I concur with your assessment. When I had a basic R Design loaner for the day I thought I got into a different car. Many of the bells and whistles were missing that make a heck of a difference to comfort & safety that make the XC40 so enjoyable to drive imho. I would always recommend loading up on the comfort & safety options.
      AWD D4 R Design Fully loaded UK First Edition Model XC40 Crystal White. Long Term Ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by krislu View Post

Kris
      Has anyone had success installing this themselves? I'm certain it will cost a bomb at the dealership.

Unhappy Let there be light!

new member here, glad Iím not the only one with this concern. I bought my car during the day so I never even considered that rear lights would be an issue in a 40K+ car until night time when I clicked the unlocked button only to find a totally dark rear seat space (& no the front map lights do not illuminate the rear at all). Iím used to having my interior set to light up with unlock on my prior car (a Honda CRV) that I noticed the omission of lights immediately.

hereís a list of basic things that Iím fairly disappointed in my first ever Volvo Momentum:
      -the aforementioned rear lights
      -no blind spot monitoring standard. the blind spot in this car is huge. i noticed it in my test drive but I was ok with it. but it really should be standard because Iíve been in some situations where I couldnít see anything when changing lanes only to be met with a honking horn from another driver that I obviously did not see.
      -the manual passenger seat sucks. it absolutely sucks. my friend couldnít figure how to adjust the seatback - itís this chunky circle thatís way too big and way too stiff to crank.
      - the rear headrests do not flip down! itís only available with an optional package. want better rear visibility with the rear view? forget about it
      - the heating system is flawed. it doesnít warm up fast enough then after about 10 minutes of driving itís an oven inside.
      -the rear camera isnít protected from the elements. when itís pouring, the backup camera is useless. and without the optional rear cross traffic alert plus that blind spot, youíre out of luck
      - the inside hooks. whereas in other cars you get 2 grab handles and something that acts as a coat hanger hook, apparently we only get one. i noticed the empty hole and asked the salesman why only one side has it and he says itís for other optional equipment to hook on to. so why not just give us 2 hooks instead of leaving a unattractive open area?

And trust me I love the car but there are these little details that leave me scratching my head considering this carís asking price.
      YES! I reflect everything you've said here. I'm happy to see a thread of people concerned with the lack of rear, interior illumination above the rear passenger seats. That's why I registered on Swedespeed originally. Your comment, especially, expands on issues with purchasing a so-called luxury vehicle. I, too, was disappointed that blind-spot monitoring isn't standard. Most Korean and Japanese-made cars have it as standard. Honestly, I'm disappointed the XC40 doesn't have more features as standard compared to other lower-priced car. I'm feeling that the XC40 is overpriced and I'm glad now that I only bought a very base T5, no options/packages.

Also, I was super confused by the fact only one clothes hangar was included for the mounting holes above the rear passenger sates. So much so I called my dealer, saying that the factory forgot to include a 2nd. I had to buy a new one for about $12. Back to the point: I'm wondering if I may buy the factory bulbs / lighting housings and install them myself. The Sensus software has an option to control ambient lighting, but only controls the overhead map light above the shifter. I am guessing the wiring for lighting is in the car, we just need a bulb. I'm going to favorite this thread to see where it goes.

Since I was already planning on a Scandinavian trip, purchasing an XC40 OSD with all the savings included comes out the same as if I bought a Honda CRV Touring and paid for my whole vacation myself. The XC40 has just as much luxury and much more technology than our several year old Mercedes ML.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzie View Post
      Has anyone had success installing this themselves? I'm certain it will cost a bomb at the dealership.
      Don't know.

Kris
      2019 XC40 Momentum black

Quote Originally Posted by swesleyc7 View Post
      YES! I reflect everything you've said here. I'm happy to see a thread of people concerned with the lack of rear, interior illumination above the rear passenger seats. That's why I registered on Swedespeed originally. Your comment, especially, expands on issues with purchasing a so-called luxury vehicle. I, too, was disappointed that blind-spot monitoring isn't standard. Most Korean and Japanese-made cars have it as standard. Honestly, I'm disappointed the XC40 doesn't have more features as standard compared to other lower-priced car. I'm feeling that the XC40 is overpriced and I'm glad now that I only bought a very base T5, no options/packages.

Also, I was super confused by the fact only one clothes hangar was included for the mounting holes above the rear passenger sates. So much so I called my dealer, saying that the factory forgot to include a 2nd. I had to buy a new one for about $12. Back to the point: I'm wondering if I may buy the factory bulbs / lighting housings and install them myself. The Sensus software has an option to control ambient lighting, but only controls the overhead map light above the shifter. I am guessing the wiring for lighting is in the car, we just need a bulb. I'm going to favorite this thread to see where it goes.
      I have been trying to figure out the same thing, If I can install it myself. I found the parts numbers, but no one can confirm to me if the wiring is in the headliner or not, which is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

If you figure out if you can or not, I would love to know.

I'm trying to get some answer from the dealer in Portugal about installing interior light.
      In a dark garage and the Momentum instaled ligths, just in front, you cant see nothing on the rear seats.
      You're not able to find your umbrella.
      It really is the worst "defect" on my 2 mouths xc40.

Cťsar Castro

More help please

Quote Originally Posted by krislu View Post

Kris
      Hi
      I recently bought an xc40 and then found your forum here about back seats light.
      Being a mother , I find it very hard not to have enough light back there .
      This link doesnít work for me.
      Is it possible to explain to me what this accessory is all about ?
      Thanks

I know it's a bit of an older thread, but just wanted to mention that mine did come with a dome light. Its the momentum trim without sunroof.

what year is your Momentum? Maybe they listened to us and updated the 2020, or did you opt for the Lighting package. I had a 2019 Momentum with moonroof and no rear dome lights. I traded it for another 2019 Momentum with moonroof and the Lighting package, and only then did I get rear dome lights.

Mine's a 2019, one of the first to be shipped to the US. I'm not sure if I have the lighting package, how would I be able to tell? Perhaps it's something to do with the dark headliner option mine has?

With '19 it was part of the Premium Package, which was far too good of a deal to not buy...

$1400 for the following:
      2 zone automatic climate with clean zone
      8 way power passenger seat with 4 way lumbar
      Heated windscreen wiper blades
      Power Child Lock rear doors
      Pilot Assist andAdaptive cruise
      Removable/folding lad floor
      Homelink and compass mirror
      Power folding rear backrest and power headrest
      Interior High Level Illumination
      Keyless Entry with Hands free tailgate
      Wireless charging for smart phones
      Hidden storage compartment under drivers seat..>

Again... $1400 for all that. I know inventory was tight last year so many folks got what they could, but IDK why a dealer wouldn't order that on every car. I had one customer customize their car without this on an order despite my trying to convince them to get it, never made sense to me.

For 2020 it gets a bit more costly to add as it's part of the Advanced Package which requires other packages. Still, many customers don't really need lighting for the back seats. IMO not the worst thing Volvo doesn't make standard, but I would be more forgiving of it if it was in the Convenience package or something nearly standard like that.

If you are leasing, never modify your vehicle with non authorized accessories or you will be charged for damages. This means if it's not Volvo, don't add it. They might miss it in inspection, but per the contract you would be liable for replacing the whole headliner and wiring harness if you had someone cut and splice a solution into it.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlpMan View Post
      I know it's a bit of an older thread, but just wanted to mention that mine did come with a dome light. Its the momentum trim without sunroof.

You have rear vents, which means you aren't the base momentum, which is what I have that didn't have the dome light (inventory was tight, I took what I could get)

I took a base Momentum T5 to save money but when I realized the cost cutting that you got with a base model... for the added few grands to get the optional package and convenience that those options afforded it was a no brainer. Still cant believe at 35k+ Volvo would sell a model missing standard rear dome lights.

I took a base Momentum T5 to save money but when I realized the cost cutting that you got with a base model... for the added few grands to get the optional package and convenience that those options afforded it was a no brainer. Still cant believe at 35k+ Volvo would sell a model missing standard rear dome lights.
      The XC40 is an interesting build... if you start with Momentum and build it up, the only reason to stay with Momentum is if you prefer the style (the white roof option is very appealing to me). But it's also much more difficult to find R Designs and Inscriptions, both on the lots, or as open orders.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

no back seat lights in the basic package of XC 40, definite from official Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by ramlax13 View Post
      You have rear vents, which means you aren't the base momentum, which is what I have that didn't have the dome light (inventory was tight, I took what I could get)
      i recently checked everything in my country (Greece), i even called Volvo in Sweden .
      They all seem unaware that XC 40 has no light at the back seat (roof or doors) if you buy the basic package.
      You should buy the "ambient light" extra package to have the back light option.

The problem is that you just can't add it later, because there is no wiring there. You should have asked it when you ordered your car.
      If a technician outside Volvo adds it, there you go: you are out of guarantee .
      Also, the local seller didn't mention that we should ask for "ambient light " extra to have the back seat light option.

It looks almost unbelievable, how come that Volvo thinks light at the back seat is an extra, luxury option? I had chosen Volvo for its safety.
      We have been on a trip and my kid was using a flashlight to read.
      Two days ago she fell down on her way out of the car, our garage is so dark.

Anyone interested in a class action?
      No kidding

yup I love my white roof. i even prefer the metal trim in the Momentum over the RD trim and the Inscription drift wood inlay. But I do covet that crystal gear shifter and the extendable thigh support.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      the only reason to stay with Momentum is if you prefer the style
      Or if you want solid red.

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2