SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

How Many Cargo Tether Hooks Come in a V90?

12K views 79 replies 30 participants last post by  VenturaVin 
#1 ·
I am having a rather unusual discussion with my dealer regarding my 2018 OSD V90 T6RD. When the vehicle was delivered in the US, I discovered that it had only the two cargo tether loops (what Volvo calls "eyelets" in the manual) near the tailgate along with two plastic blanks behind the rear seat where the other two loops should be. (These four loops are shown in the manual as the method to secure large cargo with crisscrossed straps.) I had the second pair installed, but my dealer is saying that I must pay for them since the vehicle is manufactured with only two of the necessary four loops. The other two are extra cost. I find this to be an unbelievable position for them to take. Can one or more of you confirm that you received all four loops with your vehicle without paying extra for them? Thanks for your help.

Joe

#2 ·
Can confirm I only received the two back at the tail gate. The two behind the seats are blanks.

#4 ·
I only have the two chrome ones by the tailgate as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
#9 ·
I have not yet been invoiced for the second pair, so I can't give you part numbers or the cost. However, I think I recall the service advisor saying that they were $90 each, but I may be wrong about that. The parts manager had some difficulty finding the part number. I'm still negotiating with Volvo about responsibility for the second pair.

I was disappointed to hear that no US vehicles were delivered with all four. Many thanks to those of you who took the time to reply.

Edit: glad you found better info than I had. I'm probably spending too much time over $40.

#13 ·
My RDesign came with all four (German market spec).

I suspect it might have something to do with spec. In Germany, we have an option that roughly translates to cargo pack which comes with the deviding net for the back of the seats and some other stuff related to cargo security/convenience.

Having a quick look at the us configurator, you guys can spec the cargo net as an option. That could be the option to tick when looking for all four tether hooks.

#15 ·
...Having a quick look at the us configurator, you guys can spec the cargo net as an option. That could be the option to tick when looking for all four tether hooks.
On the Volvo US web site, they offer the cargo net, and show that it attaches to the FOUR hooks, but make no mention that the accessory includes the two additional hooks nor that it requires the purchase of the two additional hooks.

#14 ·
My My18 V90 only has two. I noticed this when I first got the car because I was actually RTFM (!) which implies 4 hooks and actually went out to the car to look at the placement, only to find two hooks. Seems a little petty of Volvo to exclude two hooks in order to sell a few cargo nets as options. But I guess all automakers save any pennies they can...

#16 ·
My dealer service advisor is taking the position that just because something is shown in the manual doesn’t mean that the vehicle was manufactured that way. It may just be an item that needs to be purchased as an accessory — you know, like a steering wheel and tires. It’s a magnificent loophole.

#17 ·
My dealer service advisor is taking the position that just because something is shown in the manual doesn't mean that the vehicle was manufactured that way. It may just be an item that needs to be purchased as an accessory - you know, like a steering wheel and tires. It's a magnificent loophole.
So after finding out they don't come on US cars are you still trying to beat them out of a few cheap latches?
My 18' V90 CC does not have them. If I want them, I will buy them.

#21 · (Edited)
2018 US Spec V90CC Ocean Race - I have all 4. It was an OSD purchase but I don't think that's related as the OP's car was also OSD. Probably related to trim levels and market price sensitivity. Would be interesting to see if there is a difference between V90(CC) momentum and inscription trims. Can prior posters be more specific with their trim levels?

(All auto makers chip away at standard features for US spec cars due to price competition. Eg. Canadian spec cars, while pricier, always have a few more standard features).

#22 ·
I think this all comes under the heading of GetALife. As a result of this very helpful thread, I have decide NOT to sue Volvo NA, NOT to contact my state attorney general, NOT to get into a fight with the dealer who will be servicing my car and become the asshole with the missing hooks, NOT to travel to Gothenberg and demand my hooks, NOT to start a GoFundMe plea for dollars...I just ordered two hooks and the bolts that secure them. $40. What that means for my blood pressure is priceless.

#25 ·
Agree that its trivial for each of us individual owners. But Volvo sold 642k cars last year. If they can squeeze a $40 saving out of each one then that's $25M in savings/profit. And then a few people may actually buy the missing piece. Obviously the hooks only cost pennies so the actual savings are much less and likely only a few people will actually notice/care enough to buy the extra hooks so additional revenue is likely not huge but this illustrates the motivation to try and squeeze extra profit out of small items like this. Now why Volvo thinks Canada or certain models should get these and not other markets/models is a little less obvious (probably price sensitivity as others have mentioned) but its some Volvo employees job to figure these things out.

I will be buying the hooks (even though I feel like they should have been included) since the two hooks that exist are useless.

Off topic - Now the fact that MY18's came without 4 years of included Traffic Link/Weather (like the MY17's and before had) is a little more annoying since that is about a $300 omission. Again, its not the money but the slightly sneaky way these things are slipped in with the hope that the consumer won't notice until its too late.
I work at an OEM in accessories. The factory will remove the floor mat hooks in the rear to save $2 per car, then my team in the US has to spend $50k-$100k retooling for remake floor mats, all weather mats and liners. But it looks good for the home office to say they saved money.

My car is missing the hooks and it's a luxury trim. So they wanted to save money on a low volume car. It would be interesting to see if the XC90 has the hooks.

#26 ·
I work at an OEM in accessories. The factory will remove the floor mat hooks in the rear to save $2 per car, then my team in the US has to spend $50k-$100k retooling for remake floor mats, all weather mats and liners. But it looks good for the home office to say they saved money.

My car is missing the hooks and it's a luxury trim. So they wanted to save money on a low volume car. It would be interesting to see if the XC90 has the hooks.

I happen to have one of those here too. It has all four.

#29 ·
Volvo US Customer Care has informed me that the exclusion of the two eyelets behind the second row seats were an 'unfortunate oversight' and will be providing them, installed, at no charge to me.

Others may wish to contact them via the website to obtain same.

Obviously, others will proudly pay for what should have been included.

#31 · (Edited)
In case you are wondering if it's worth it, I do find them useful with the cargo net as per attached. Good for my kids soccer balls and other random items that are light or can fly around ... (This is an OR so the matching net came with the car).

Trunk Vehicle Car Auto part Family car

#37 ·
Dealer has agreed to install my tethers. They say its weird that they shipped the car without them

#39 ·
Yeah makes sense. I have my 30 k service today anyway. So I had a whole list of items.

#43 ·
FYI,
I talked to my dealer in Concord, NH today about this while my car was in for the 20k mile service. Their stance was that it was my issue, different cars come with different trim packages and this one didn't have it. Granted, this is the T6 with the Convenience Package & Luxury package, but that doesn't matter... They wouldn't budge and quoted me $288 to install the 2 hooks saying the parts were $120/side.

I showed them in real time I could buy the applicable hooks and the 2 bolts for <$40/side online delivered, but they just shrugged their shoulders...

Ironically, my rather base level stock XC60 loaner car had 4 such hooks, but such is life.
Jon

#45 ·
Just contact Volvo customer care. I had them say in the email that the hooks were supposed to be there. Then I contacted my dealer about it. The dealer gave me the parts because I said that I'd install them. The manual clearly shows the car having it. To use the accessory cargo net, you have to have them

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

#44 ·
I pushed Volvo on this and they (customer service via email) eventually agreed they would pay to have them added. This was after the dealer pushed back saying not having them was 'normal'. Now waiting for them to arrive at the dealer and have them installed during my 10k visit. Its not the money but the principle of it. If people roll over, companies/dealers will continue to try and get one over on us all.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

#46 ·
How have I missed this thread? :)

Going to have these added, whether at my expense or Volvo's. I'm excited it seems to be a fairly easy fix.

#48 ·
If Volvo isn't paying the dealership for the labor I'll do it myself.

#51 ·
I spoke to Volvo customer care yesterday (10/31) about this; the response from the representative was that the US market only came with two hooks, in the rear - other markets (Canada and European) had all 4.
“How was I supposed to use the cargo net?”, I asked her. Even had her go to the page in the manual showing 4 hooks. Her response was to go to a dealer and have them install the other 2 hooks!
Congrats to you V90CC owners that got Volvo customer care to supply the hooks or have Volvo pay to have them added - i got no where with them, even after speaking to a supposed supervisor!
Also, where can you buy the hooks for $40? Cheapest price I’ve seen is $35 apiece, plus $2 for each bolt!

#52 ·
Interesting. Either way, I'll add the two hooks.

Meanwhile, if they really cheaped out by reducing the hook count to two... says something about Volvo in the US. If that's true, whoever made that decision desperately needs to be replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same person removing the seat folding buttons among other things.

#53 ·
Interesting. Either way, I'll add the two hooks.

Meanwhile, if they really cheaped out by reducing the hook count to two... says something about Volvo in the US. If that's true, whoever made that decision desperately needs to be replaced. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same person removing the seat folding buttons among other things.
Amen to that brother. A hoooole saving pennies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.