Base, Harman Kardon, and B&W wiring
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thought I'd share a few things I've been looking into. Info applies to V90cc, but may apply to other models as well.

Background:

In 2018 and 2019 Volvo offered a Base (2??w, 10 speaker, code K502) stereo, a premium Harman Kardon (650w, 14 speaker, code K504) stereo, and a premium Bowers & Wilkins (1400w, 19 speaker stereo, code K503). However on 2019 Volvo Ocean Race models, the starting stereo offering was the HK stereo, which you could option up to the B&W stereo.

In 2020 Volvo did away entirely with the Base option and the HK stereo became the new standard option on US-spec V90cc.

My assumption was that Volvo saw that very few US destined V90ccs were being bought with the Base 10 speaker stereo, and that starting in 2020, with only the T6 being available, even fewer would be opting for a stripped down stereo option. I had a suspicion that Volvo also made this move because the HK and B&W systems share wiring harnesses, and it would cut down on inventory and assembly line logistics. I based this on that the missing 5 speakers from the HK system are; the nautilus speaker on the dash (the other center dash speaker is present on the HK system), the tweeters back in the headliner (the other midrange speakers are present on the HK system), and the mid-range speakers in the rear doors.

From an older look at the Base vs. B&W system on the XC90:

Untitled.001.jpeg

And the wiring present at the amp on a V90cc with the HK system:

20191123_153254.jpg
      20191123_153509.jpg
      20191123_153519.jpg

Notice that the wiring for the V90cc with HK is identical to the XC90 with B&W.

As of now, all that means is that the wiring to and from the amp is identical. Having seen B&W headliner speakers, I know those are drop in replacements with the HK units. I also know the center dash B&W speaker connector is the same as the HK speaker. So for those, there shouldn't be an issue swapping them in. The only question is whether the rear door harnesses and connectors are the same, to accommodate the B&W mid-range. The parts fiche isn't much help here, as they're a mess of several different options and production change overs. So, TBD on that.

Anyway, figured I would share for those that are interested.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very good information. So whats the part numbers for the speakers in HK configuration? Are they the same as for HP (would think so).

My guess the roof speakers are HP with one element. So then you can swap to B&W which have two elements each. Same goes for the center dashboard, gives an additional speaker.

So update roof + center = 14 + 3 = 17

I guess the two additional speakers are missing in the rear doors, maybe they are the tweeter which are missing?
      Last edited by HitTheRoadJack; 11-25-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HitTheRoadJack View Post
      Very good information. So whats the part numbers for the speakers in HK configuration? Are they the same as for HP (would think so).

My guess the roof speakers are HP with one element. So then you can swap to B&W which have two elements each. Same goes for the center dashboard, gives an additional speaker.

So update roof + center = 14 + 3 = 17

I guess the two additional speakers are missing in the rear doors, maybe they are the tweeter which are missing?
      The HK speakers are not the same as the Base speakers. I had already composed a part number comparison.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Also, it's the mid-range speakers that are missing in the rear doors, not the tweeters.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      The HK speakers are not the same as the Base speakers. I had already composed a part number comparison.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Also, it's the mid-range speakers that are missing in the rear doors, not the tweeters.
      This is so helpful! Thanks!
      2018 V90CC T5 with P*, Saville Gray/Charcoal
      2015.5 XC60 T5 Drive-E Platinum, Twilight Bronze/Hazel Brown

Nice :-)

Swapped out the amp from my MY19 HK system for a B&W amp (36012657).

Everything bolted up and connected no problem. Sound-wise, it was louder for the same volume setting. The B&W amp was putting out more bass, so dialed that back in the equalizer and in the Sound Stage app. I did not get the 9 channel equalizer, that others got by swapping in the B&W amp. I instead still have the 5 channel equalizer. Another thing was that the Surround Sound setting in the Sound Stage app stopped working. It was audibly stuck in max surround. You could adjust it on screen, but it didn't change the sound. For now that's fine, because that's how I had it set.

I'm wondering if the next time the car is in for servicing if the software update is going to recognize the new hardware and upload different software to the car.

Another thing that's come up since the swap is that the sound for the front proximity sensors is VERY muted. Rear sensor alerts sound the same as they always have. I'm thinking the B&W amp is looking to send that sound through the center channel tweeter...which for the moment doesn't exist. You can still slightly hear it coming from the front mid-range speakers.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements