How Many Cargo Tether Hooks Come in a V90?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How Many Cargo Tether Hooks Come in a V90?

I am having a rather unusual discussion with my dealer regarding my 2018 OSD V90 T6RD. When the vehicle was delivered in the US, I discovered that it had only the two cargo tether loops (what Volvo calls "eyelets" in the manual) near the tailgate along with two plastic blanks behind the rear seat where the other two loops should be. (These four loops are shown in the manual as the method to secure large cargo with crisscrossed straps.) I had the second pair installed, but my dealer is saying that I must pay for them since the vehicle is manufactured with only two of the necessary four loops. The other two are extra cost. I find this to be an unbelievable position for them to take. Can one or more of you confirm that you received all four loops with your vehicle without paying extra for them? Thanks for your help.

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Can confirm I only received the two back at the tail gate. The two behind the seats are blanks.

2006 XC70 75k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 64k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 5k - Grey/Black - "Egg"
      2018 V90CC 12k - Crystal White/Amber - "Rudolf"
      Previous: 1997 Dodge Intrepid | 2002 Saturn | 2009 Jetta | 2011 Mazda3 | 2011 Outback | 1993 Miata | 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2010 Odyssey | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2019 BMW 440i

Skywolf saved me the hassle of posting a pic. I've got what he's got.

Looks like I'll have to use those 'top tether' lashing points when mother-in-law insists on riding inside the car...
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I only have the two chrome ones by the tailgate as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

Canadian 2018 V90CC - came with all four, all metal.

Last edited by brabbit; 01-13-2019 at 01:43 PM.
      2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar (Pine Grey Metallic)

US model 2017 V90 CC here. Only 2 in the back and I've been wondering about the front 2. How much are you being quoted for and can you share the parts numbers so we could install ourselves?
      2017 XC90 Inscription
      2017 V90 CC

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit View Post
      You Canadians always get the extras! lol
      2006 XC70 75k - Ruby Red/Graphite - "Wichita" | 2011 Tacoma 14k - Green/Sand - "Timber"
      2007 XC70 64k - Black Stone/Graphite - "Springfield" | 2017 Miata RF GT 5k - Grey/Black - "Egg"
      Previous: 1997 Dodge Intrepid | 2002 Saturn | 2009 Jetta | 2011 Mazda3 | 2011 Outback | 1993 Miata | 2013 XC70 | 2005 XC70 | 2005 V70 | 2007 XC70 | 2010 Odyssey | 2006 V70R | 1990 740 | 2019 XC90 | 2019 BMW 440i

Found the part numbers 31462873 (black) & 30640966 for about 20$ per side.
      2017 XC90 Inscription
      2017 V90 CC

Quote Originally Posted by hudi82 View Post
      US model 2017 V90 CC here. Only 2 in the back and I've been wondering about the front 2. How much are you being quoted for and can you share the parts numbers so we could install ourselves?
      I have not yet been invoiced for the second pair, so I canít give you part numbers or the cost. However, I think I recall the service advisor saying that they were $90 each, but I may be wrong about that. The parts manager had some difficulty finding the part number. Iím still negotiating with Volvo about responsibility for the second pair.

I was disappointed to hear that no US vehicles were delivered with all four. Many thanks to those of you who took the time to reply.

Edit: glad you found better info than I had. Iím probably spending too much time over $40.

Quote Originally Posted by brabbit View Post
      Would you mind measuring the front? Just eyeballing, but I wonder if the hooks from a P2 would also work.

BD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Current Fleet:
      1998 S70 Base (New project), 2006 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 2008 C70 Premium Plus M66, [COLOR="#F0FFFF"]2011 XC90 V8, 2013 C70 Platinum P*

RIP:
      1994 854T FWD, 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD, 2005 S60 2.5T FWD

Quote Originally Posted by hudi82 View Post
      Found the part numbers 31462873 (black) & 30640966 for about 20$ per side.
      Thanks for the part numbers.
      Found the parts here: https://parts.volvooakpark.com/p/Vol.../31462873.html Cost $17.62 plus $1.43 for the bolt (part# 30640966)
      2018 V90 T6 RD Passion Red, Amber, Polestar

yep, sounds about right. Although I'm not sure how many people are going to need it. in XC90 it's required to tie down the soft net cargo partition.
      2017 XC90 Inscription
      2017 V90 CC

My RDesign came with all four (German market spec).

I suspect it might have something to do with spec. In Germany, we have an option that roughly translates to cargo pack which comes with the deviding net for the back of the seats and some other stuff related to cargo security/convenience.

Having a quick look at the us configurator, you guys can spec the cargo net as an option. That could be the option to tick when looking for all four tether hooks.

My My18 V90 only has two. I noticed this when I first got the car because I was actually RTFM (!) which implies 4 hooks and actually went out to the car to look at the placement, only to find two hooks. Seems a little petty of Volvo to exclude two hooks in order to sell a few cargo nets as options. But I guess all automakers save any pennies they can...
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by obermuh View Post
      ...Having a quick look at the us configurator, you guys can spec the cargo net as an option. That could be the option to tick when looking for all four tether hooks.
      On the Volvo US web site, they offer the cargo net, and show that it attaches to the FOUR hooks, but make no mention that the accessory includes the two additional hooks nor that it requires the purchase of the two additional hooks.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

My dealer service advisor is taking the position that just because something is shown in the manual doesnít mean that the vehicle was manufactured that way. It may just be an item that needs to be purchased as an accessory ó you know, like a steering wheel and tires. Itís a magnificent loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by C DIEM View Post
      My dealer service advisor is taking the position that just because something is shown in the manual doesnít mean that the vehicle was manufactured that way. It may just be an item that needs to be purchased as an accessory ó you know, like a steering wheel and tires. Itís a magnificent loophole.
      So after finding out they don't come on US cars are you still trying to beat them out of a few cheap latches?
      My 18' V90 CC does not have them. If I want them, I will buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      So after finding out they don't come on US cars are you still trying to beat them out of a few cheap latches?
      Until this thread I did not know that US spec vehicles came with only two. I need four to secure a dog crate and had four in both V70Rs that Iíve owned. The manual shows four, so I thought I deserved the other two and that the absence of the missing ones was a manufacturing oversight. Besides, what good are only two? They canít secure anything in a useful way. In addition, as I said above I thought the cost was five times actual cost.
      However, this small issue was part of a larger one in that neither I nor my dealer could make hands-free tailgate opening to function, and they took the same position with this problem, i.e., just because itís in the manual doesnít mean my vehicle has it. I had to go Volvo Customer Care to verify that the tailgate can be kicked open and send that proof to my dealer.

I generally donít quibble over a few dollars, but I will not roll over for bad dealer information. There is no end to how ďdonít believe the manualĒ can be used.

I don't think Volvo wants the reputation that your dealer service advisor is so willing to assign to them.

In every instance where an item or feature is an option, the manual clearly represents this with a footnote on that page. On page 557 of the US Volvo V90 Owners Manual, they clearly represent the presence of four eyelets and do NOT reference these as options. This is indisputably a misrepresentation by Volvo of their product.

You should call Volvo Customer Care and bring this to their attention. It's a small matter, I know, but I can tell you with great certainty that your state's Attorney General's office of Consumer Protection can help Volvo understand that these are to be provided based on representations they have made publicly in their printed materials.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
      I don't think Volvo wants the reputation that your dealer service advisor is so willing to assign to them.

In every instance where an item or feature is an option, the manual clearly represents this with a footnote on that page. On page 557 of the US Volvo V90 Owners Manual, they clearly represent the presence of four eyelets and do NOT reference these as options. This is indisputably a misrepresentation by Volvo of their product.

You should call Volvo Customer Care and bring this to their attention. It's a small matter, I know, but I can tell you with great certainty that your state's Attorney General's office of Consumer Protection can help Volvo understand that these are to be provided based on representations they have made publicly in their printed materials.
      I checked the manual, you are right it does say 4 eyelets. So I contacted Volvo customer care to see what they say. I have a cargo box in the trunk that I have strapped down to an eyelet and the seat. So another eyelet would be nice.

Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD

Sold:

2018 US Spec V90CC Ocean Race - I have all 4. It was an OSD purchase but I don't think that's related as the OP's car was also OSD. Probably related to trim levels and market price sensitivity. Would be interesting to see if there is a difference between V90(CC) momentum and inscription trims. Can prior posters be more specific with their trim levels?

(All auto makers chip away at standard features for US spec cars due to price competition. Eg. Canadian spec cars, while pricier, always have a few more standard features).
      Last edited by nquery; 01-11-2019 at 08:53 PM.
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

I think this all comes under the heading of GetALife. As a result of this very helpful thread, I have decide NOT to sue Volvo NA, NOT to contact my state attorney general, NOT to get into a fight with the dealer who will be servicing my car and become the asshole with the missing hooks, NOT to travel to Gothenberg and demand my hooks, NOT to start a GoFundMe plea for dollars...I just ordered two hooks and the bolts that secure them. $40. What that means for my blood pressure is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I think this all comes under the heading of GetALife. As a result of this very helpful thread, I have decide NOT to sue Volvo NA, NOT to contact my state attorney general, NOT to get into a fight with the dealer who will be servicing my car and become the asshole with the missing hooks, NOT to travel to Gothenberg and demand my hooks, NOT to start a GoFundMe plea for dollars...I just ordered two hooks and the bolts that secure them. $40. What that means for my blood pressure is priceless.
      Sure but isn't part of the fun of being an owner/enthusiast on these forums - debating $20 parts on a $60k car??? 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      Sure but isn't part of the fun of being an owner/enthusiast on these forums - debating $20 parts on a $60k car??? 🙂
      Agree that its trivial for each of us individual owners. But Volvo sold 642k cars last year. If they can squeeze a $40 saving out of each one then that's $25M in savings/profit. And then a few people may actually buy the missing piece. Obviously the hooks only cost pennies so the actual savings are much less and likely only a few people will actually notice/care enough to buy the extra hooks so additional revenue is likely not huge but this illustrates the motivation to try and squeeze extra profit out of small items like this. Now why Volvo thinks Canada or certain models should get these and not other markets/models is a little less obvious (probably price sensitivity as others have mentioned) but its some Volvo employees job to figure these things out.

I will be buying the hooks (even though I feel like they should have been included) since the two hooks that exist are useless.

Off topic - Now the fact that MY18's came without 4 years of included Traffic Link/Weather (like the MY17's and before had) is a little more annoying since that is about a $300 omission. Again, its not the money but the slightly sneaky way these things are slipped in with the hope that the consumer won't notice until its too late.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      Agree that its trivial for each of us individual owners. But Volvo sold 642k cars last year. If they can squeeze a $40 saving out of each one then that's $25M in savings/profit. And then a few people may actually buy the missing piece. Obviously the hooks only cost pennies so the actual savings are much less and likely only a few people will actually notice/care enough to buy the extra hooks so additional revenue is likely not huge but this illustrates the motivation to try and squeeze extra profit out of small items like this. Now why Volvo thinks Canada or certain models should get these and not other markets/models is a little less obvious (probably price sensitivity as others have mentioned) but its some Volvo employees job to figure these things out.

I will be buying the hooks (even though I feel like they should have been included) since the two hooks that exist are useless.

Off topic - Now the fact that MY18's came without 4 years of included Traffic Link/Weather (like the MY17's and before had) is a little more annoying since that is about a $300 omission. Again, its not the money but the slightly sneaky way these things are slipped in with the hope that the consumer won't notice until its too late.
      I work at an OEM in accessories. The factory will remove the floor mat hooks in the rear to save $2 per car, then my team in the US has to spend $50k-$100k retooling for remake floor mats, all weather mats and liners. But it looks good for the home office to say they saved money.

My car is missing the hooks and it's a luxury trim. So they wanted to save money on a low volume car. It would be interesting to see if the XC90 has the hooks.

Current:

Sold:

Quote Originally Posted by kartboy1234 View Post
      I work at an OEM in accessories. The factory will remove the floor mat hooks in the rear to save $2 per car, then my team in the US has to spend $50k-$100k retooling for remake floor mats, all weather mats and liners. But it looks good for the home office to say they saved money.

My car is missing the hooks and it's a luxury trim. So they wanted to save money on a low volume car. It would be interesting to see if the XC90 has the hooks.

I happen to have one of those here too. It has all four.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      Off topic - Now the fact that MY18's came without 4 years of included Traffic Link/Weather (like the MY17's and before had) is a little more annoying since that is about a $300 omission.
      Say what? This is news to me. You are talking about the RTTI traffic/weather data? as far as I know it has no expiry period - http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...ion-%28rtti%29

Please provide a concrete reference .. thanks.
      Last edited by nquery; 01-11-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      Say what? This is news to me. You are talking about the RTTI traffic/weather data? as far as I know it has no expiry period - http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...ion-%28rtti%29

Please provide a concrete reference .. thanks.
      See other active threads regarding Traffic Link/Weather but in short I'm being told (by XM and dealer) that Traffic Link/Weather service (which uses data from SiriusXM and is used by the TravelLink app and the traffic tab in the Nav/Ahead function) does not come with MY18 cars. MY17 or before apprarently came with 4 years but MY18 (at least V90's) came with no 4 years, not even a trial since the Sirius 6 month trial that did come with the MY8's only covers Sirius audio. This is different than RTTI which is included. Just another example of penny pinching.

Volvo US Customer Care has informed me that the exclusion of the two eyelets behind the second row seats were an 'unfortunate oversight' and will be providing them, installed, at no charge to me.

Others may wish to contact them via the website to obtain same.

Obviously, others will proudly pay for what should have been included.
      2018 V90 T6 Inscription

How Many Cargo Tether Hooks Come in a V90?

Volvo US Customer Care has informed me that the exclusion of the two eyelets behind the second row seats were an 'unfortunate oversight' and will be providing them, installed, at no charge to me.

I have 2018 V90 T5 inscription that only has two eyelets. I will be reaching out to Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Skallawa; 01-12-2019 at 04:00 PM.
      2018 Volvo v90 T5 Inscription
      2016 Mazda 6 Touring
      2015 BMW 328i - sold
      2007 BMW 528i - sold

In case you are wondering if it's worth it, I do find them useful with the cargo net as per attached. Good for my kids soccer balls and other random items that are light or can fly around ... (This is an OR so the matching net came with the car).

MVIMG_20190112_103849_1547354241190.jpg
      Last edited by nquery; 01-12-2019 at 11:54 PM.

I called Volvo today. They said they didn't know and I would have to contact the dealer. They said it showed 4 in the manual but the manual is also used in Canada so they could not answer my question.

I called Volvo today. They said they didn't know and I would have to contact the dealer. They said it showed 4 in the manual but the manual is also used in Canada so they could not answer my question.
      So you've decided to have Volvo pay for them now? Tsk, tsk.......

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG

So you've decided to have Volvo pay for them now? Tsk, tsk.......
      You are 100% correct.
      If it is a mistake by Volvo, I apologize to you for correcting a wrong from Volvo.
      If the dealer says they won't because it is not a mistake - I don't and I won't push Volvo to pay for them. Will you?

You are 100% correct.
      If it is a mistake by Volvo, I apologize to you for correcting a wrong from Volvo.
      If the dealer says they won't because it is not a mistake - I don't and I won't push Volvo to pay for them. Will you?
      Iíve been taken care of, so I donít need to push anyone. I was simply trying to find out if I was the only customer with this issue. However, based on my experience with my V90 Iím less inclined than you seem to be in accepting a dealer opinion. Each to their own. Peace.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast