How many Ocean Races are out there?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How many Ocean Races are out there?

My dealer told me it’s incredibly hard to get an Ocean Race V90. There is one on CarGurus within 500miles of me. I see you can order one, but is this a limited build vehicle, or pretty much a special order? I’m leaning towards one of these as a next vehicle, mainly due to the fact it’s pretty well loaded (4c rear air suspension is standard, only major options are convenience package, HUD, and B&W sound). I wouldn’t mind the luxury package in a regular CC, but not be a deal breaker. Just curious as to how many are out in the wild? Thanks!
      2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD FSD
      Past Volvo’s: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription, 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are a few of us on this forum that have one.

Did you try a nationwide search on CarGurus? I just did that and get 9 available nationwide - all MY19's. It's unclear how many more will be produced given that MY19 production ends in April but there might be a slim chance to do a custom order if you can't find the build you want and are really fast. I don't know if they are being as deeply discounted as other V90CC's given the limited availability but I don't think they are that popular so possibly. (I did OSD).

I love mine. Best vehicle Volvo produces right now imo. Not everyone is happy with the color but the crystal white is great in person (doesn't photo so well). It's the only way to get the awesome (r-design/sport) bucket seats on a CC. It has a lot of extras that are not available on any other trim eg. full leather on sides of console tunnel, leather seat backs, leather rear seat map pockets, 110V outlet/extra USB ports, LED light in tail, nicer trunk floor, and the trim specific interior and wheels of course. And then they throw in a bunch of options such as stainless steel scuff plates, carbon fibre (the one thing I didn't want tbh), matching accessories, load bars, etc.
      Last edited by nquery; 01-15-2019 at 07:56 PM.
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

Yes, the color combo is absolutely awesome IMO.
      Past Volvo’s: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription, 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Exactly 12 in Canada

Not sure if it is per model year, but they are insanely rare (that's like one per province)

There is one dealer-used for sale I'm so itching to buy it but still too expensive for me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      '08 XC90 3.2 - Current | '10 V50 R-Design T5 M66 - Sold | '89 740 GLE 16 valve tank, Sold @ 640k km

You can order via OSD as well. Our friends and neighbors were in Sweden in very early December to pick theirs up. Its due at the dealership any day now. This is one nice vehicle. Hoping Volvo applies the Ocean Race trim to other Volvos in the future.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

My dealer is looking into a left over 2018 I sent them a link to. It’s got a blonde interior, not so crazy about that. Volvo is offering some major discounts on 2018 V90’s right now. Like $10,000 off or something like that?

I think the two-tone blonde/charcoal interior completely makes the vehicle and is a much better match for the white/grey exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      I think the two-tone blonde/charcoal interior completely makes the vehicle and is a much better match for the white/grey exterior.
      Agreed. I also find black interiors start looking really ratty after a year or so. Fine, light colored dust and dirt gets caught in every crease and fold and is virtually impossible to clean out. So oddly enough, the light colored interior is easier to keep looking clean. I think....

No doubt, the blonde is beautiful looking, doesn’t matter now, looks like the car is gone 🙁

If you can't find what you want on lots you could/should order one via OSD. You will get 7k off msrp, the exact build you want, and a very memorable trip to Gothenburg worth roughly 3k. So you net 10k. If you do a normal custom order stateside not sure you will get that kind of discount ...

Quote Originally Posted by LowlyOilBurner View Post
      My dealer is looking into a left over 2018 I sent them a link to. It’s got a blonde interior, not so crazy about that. Volvo is offering some major discounts on 2018 V90’s right now. Like $10,000 off or something like that?
      Looking at the websites of about a dozen Volvo dealerships in my area, only about half of them have any new V90 Cross Country wagons at all, and most that do only have one or two on their lots. A year ago, there were several new V90 CC wagons at each dealership.
      I asked a salesman about my observation today, and he said confirmed that V90 CC wagons aren't selling around here, and that he thinks that Volvo messed up in making huge changes from the boxy V70 Cross Country that sold so well, and then upping the price significantly (by 50 percent). He thinks that the higher prices, in particular, is killing off the V90 Cross Country. I think that's correct, because here in the Boston area, Volvo wagons are everywhere, like Subaru Outbacks -- so it's not that people are losing interest in wagons as much as it's the hugely increased cost to buy a new one.
      Last edited by cometguy; 01-20-2019 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      Agreed. I also find black interiors start looking really ratty after a year or so. Fine, light colored dust and dirt gets caught in every crease and fold and is virtually impossible to clean out. So oddly enough, the light colored interior is easier to keep looking clean. I think....
      My forme ‘15 V60 R-Design black nappa leather seats looked great after nearly 5 years and 70K miles. I am good to my cars though, where so many folks are careless or naturally rough on things.

Both OR interiors look very nice, and I personally prefer the contrasting two tone of the blonde, but man those seats stain (from blue jeans) and show dirt so easily. They would hide my dog’s white and gray hairs though.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

I love mine. Best vehicle Volvo produces right now imo. Not everyone is happy with the color but the crystal white is great in person (doesn't photo so well). It's the only way to get the awesome (r-design/sport) bucket seats on a CC. It has a lot of extras that are not available on any other trim eg. full leather on sides of console tunnel, leather seat backs, leather rear seat map pockets, 110V outlet/extra USB ports, LED light in tail, nicer trunk floor, and the trim specific interior and wheels of course. And then they throw in a bunch of options such as stainless steel scuff plates, carbon fibre (the one thing I didn't want tbh), matching accessories, load bars, etc.
      Ditto...exactly same sentiments as nquery...

Car is very unique and an amazing value in the volvo line...compare wagon to suv...not too distance!...price an xc60 with similar options and it comes in 5% less than the v90cc OR price...price an xc90 with similar options and it comes its 10% over the v90cc OR price...and neither is as unique - or comes with some of the special features/options you can only get with the OR package - best bang-for-the-buck model package in all the volvo line!

On November 2, 2018, i purchased my 2018 v90cc ocean race...

At the time, i could only locate (3) new ones per sale in the USA - via google dealer sites...

I live in central/upstate new york and travelled 3 1/2 hour to new jersey for mine...
      Blond leather, Bowers & Wilkins, heads up display, convenience package...
      I also had the dealer install polestar for $500 as part of the deal...
      I recently added the dual integrated split end exhaust tailpipes and the hidden/retractable hitch...
      And had my local dealer match and paint oem mud flaps kaolin gray...

Coated the entire car surface & wheels with (2) coats of Rejex, and it sheds water/dirt better than my ceramic coated m3 coupe!

Get one...you won't be disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      Both OR interiors look very nice, and I personally prefer the contrasting two tone of the blonde, but man those seats stain (from blue jeans) and show dirt so easily. They would hide my dog’s white and gray hairs though.
      agree...personally think the blond interior is the best match for the white/gray exterior...and makes the car amazingly bright inside...

3 months into ownership and - yes! - the seats need regular cleaning...i wear jeans every day for work and the car seats get dye transfer...and door handle and steering wheel get normal hand transfer soiling...but i use Lexol and/or Volvo leather clean/conditioner in a simple, low pressure wiping and it comes right off...regular leather cleaning is a must - but worth it...
      Last edited by hackR; 01-21-2019 at 08:48 PM.

For many years now I've used Leatherique Pristine Clean leather cleaner and conditioner with excellent results (also leaves a natural matte finish), but the other day I bought Chemical Guys Leather Quick Detailer, Matte Finish, for quick cleaning after the dog has been for a ride; I'll see how it compares.

You may be interested in their Colorless & Odorless Super Cleaner.
      Current
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

No doubt, the blonde is beautiful looking, doesn’t matter now, looks like the car is gone 🙁
      Assuming you are referencing the car at Boston Volvo, that was me who purchased it - pick it up tomorrow. Wasn't in the market for a new car, but my '16 V60 Polestar was recently totaled. The other driver ran a red light - thankfully no one was injured, and the Volvo performed flawlessly. Considered a leftover '18 V60 Polestar, but in my opinion, something was lost when the Polestar's moved to the 4-cylinder engines - specifically the epic sound of the 6-cylinder with the exhaust baffles wide open. I also have a '13 C30 PLE should I want a more "performance" oriented drive (with a third that pedal never hurts), but still wanted a unique Volvo Wagon - enter the CC ORE.

As others have mentioned, I debated the blonde / charcoal interior. Initially I gravitated to the charcoal, thinking the blonde was "too much". But, I very quickly changed my mind once seeing it in person - it's both stunning and unique. The car was optioned exactly as I would have chosen (with a four-year-old, the boosters were more important than the heated rear seats), and they added the Polestar Optimization. Cost was a bit less than what it would have been if I had ordered via OSD. I miss out on OSD, but when I called the program hotline to inquire, they stated you could no longer order a MY2019 ORE via OSD, and initial indications were it would not be available to order via OSD for MY2020.

Quote Originally Posted by PolestarMcGuire View Post
      As others have mentioned, I debated the blonde / charcoal interior. Initially I gravitated to the charcoal, thinking the blonde was "too much". But, I very quickly changed my mind once seeing it in person - it's both stunning and unique. The car was optioned exactly as I would have chosen (with a four-year-old, the boosters were more important than the heated rear seats), and they added the Polestar Optimization. Cost was a bit less than what it would have been if I had ordered via OSD. I miss out on OSD, but when I called the program hotline to inquire, they stated you could no longer order a MY2019 ORE via OSD, and initial indications were it would not be available to order via OSD for MY2020.
      Sorry for LowlyOilBurner, congrats for you. I too got the built-in boosters for my 4 and 6 year olds on my OR - another great feature of the V90(CC) over the XC90 (which only has 1 center booster option). Make sure you get the padded upholstery that slides on over the boosters - https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-492707/2018. They protect the blond leather , provide extra support, *and* they blend in seamlessly with the charcoal/blonde two-tone.

Congrats on your new V90 Ocean Race! We love ours!
      Current
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's

Yep, congrats! 👍🏻

Sorry for LowlyOilBurner, congrats for you. I too got the built-in boosters for my 4 and 6 year olds on my OR - another great feature of the V90(CC) over the XC90 (which only has 1 center booster option). Make sure you get the padded upholstery that slides on over the boosters - https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-492707/2018. They protect the blond leather , provide extra support, *and* they blend in seamlessly with the charcoal/blonde two-tone.
      Too funny. It will be in the car when I arrive shortly.
      2018 V90 Cross Country ORE
      2013 C30 PLE (#46)
      2016 V60 Polestar (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by PolestarMcGuire View Post
      I miss out on OSD, but when I called the program hotline to inquire, they stated you could no longer order a MY2019 ORE via OSD, and initial indications were it would not be available to order via OSD for MY2020.
      surprised by this - so early in 2019...does anyone know if the 2019 ORs are still limited quantity...believe the 2018's were limited to 3,000 worldwide...same for 2019?

Canadian OR are only available in Charcoal interior, no blonde.

Also unavailable in OSD

So 12 for MY2018 and no OSD makes them very rare.

'08 XC90 3.2 - Current | '10 V50 R-Design T5 M66 - Sold | '89 740 GLE 16 valve tank, Sold @ 640k km

Quote Originally Posted by hackR View Post
      surprised by this - so early in 2019...does anyone know if the 2019 ORs are still limited quantity...believe the 2018's were limited to 3,000 worldwide...same for 2019?
      The V90CC OR was announced in the middle of MY18 production (Nov 30 2017 I think) and there was an initial plan of 3,000, not necessarily just for MY18. The first OR vehicles weren't physically available for purchase until March/April 2018 - pretty late in the MY18 production cycle. So my guess is that 3,000 production run got spread across MY18 and MY19.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBoy View Post
      Canadian OR are only available in Charcoal interior, no blonde.

Also unavailable in OSD

So 12 for MY2018 and no OSD makes them very rare.

The price for the OR in Canada was like CDN $90,000?#$ With tax you were at $100k! Absolutely nuts. And no OSD. Whereas OSD base price in the US was $54,500. There is obviously a currency difference but those prices were way too high for Canadian wallets. Not surprised it is not available for MY19 in Canada (Being from Vancouver BC and now living in Seattle, I am acutely aware of Canadian/US pricing).

The price for the OR in Canada was like CDN $90,000?#$ With tax you were at $100k! Absolutely nuts. And no OSD. Whereas OSD base price in the US was $54,500. There is obviously a currency difference but those prices were way too high for Canadian wallets. Not surprised it is not available for MY19 in Canada (Being from Vancouver BC and now living in Seattle, I am acutely aware of Canadian/US pricing).
      Pricing for the OR (and the V90 in general) is bonkers in Canada. Way more expensive than US and not much rebates. That's probably why so many are wanting the V60 with prices more in line with the Germans (let's say $60k).

I seriously looking at this one. It went down $2k and since used, not sure how much I could get it for.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camion...-pa/1404720260

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBoy View Post
      Pricing for the OR (and the V90 in general) is bonkers in Canada. Way more expensive than US and not much rebates. That's probably why so many are wanting the V60 with prices more in line with the Germans (let's say $60k).

I seriously looking at this one. It went down $2k and since used, not sure how much I could get it for.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camion...-pa/1404720260

Hey, that's a CPO Ocean Race with 3,000 miles and 6 years on the warranty. Not so bad in that respect. Looks like it is fully loaded with B&W, HDU, etc, and the Canadian versions come with the Cargo Box included I think?? ($3000 USD or CAD ... outrageous). If you could get it for < 70k CDN that's around 52k USD including the CPO warranty and cargo box. I know you have been pining for an OR for a long time - I would go for it given scarcity in Canada.
      Last edited by nquery; 01-27-2019 at 03:20 PM.

The V90CC OR was announced in the middle of MY18 production (Nov 30 2017 I think) and there was an initial plan of 3,000, not necessarily just for MY18. The first OR vehicles weren't physically available for purchase until March/April 2018 - pretty late in the MY18 production cycle. So my guess is that 3,000 production run got spread across MY18 and MY19.
      ah...didn't know this...thank you for the info...

i assume that volvo has not published the whereabouts/distribution of ORs in the countries it sells in, right?...BeachBoys reference "12 for MY2018 [in Canada] and no OSD makes them very rare"...so wondering if the global distribution numbers have been shared...R

Quote Originally Posted by hackR View Post
      ah...didn't know this...thank you for the info...

i assume that volvo has not published the whereabouts/distribution of ORs in the countries it sells in, right?...BeachBoys reference "12 for MY2018 [in Canada] and no OSD makes them very rare"...so wondering if the global distribution numbers have been shared...R
      Given that V90CC US sales (2200 pa) account for just over 10% of global V90CC sales (20000 pa), you can imagine a similar distribution of the OR trim. So I am going to guess 300-400 in the USA across MY18/19. 100-200 per MY. about 10x the Canadian allocation of 12 for MY18, which is a typical ratio. Complete guesswork though, hard to say how many have actually been produced.

So, there’s a 2019 OR in Pennsylvania. Strange thing is, if you go on Volvo’s site, you only have an option to build a 2018 V90 in any trim (CC/OR/Inscription/R-Design). No option to build a 2019??? Some dealers have 2019’s on their lots though? What’s up with that?

So, there’s a 2019 OR in Pennsylvania. Strange thing is, if you go on Volvo’s site, you only have an option to build a 2018 V90 in any trim (CC/OR/Inscription/R-Design). No option to build a 2019??? Some dealers have 2019’s on their lots though? What’s up with that?
      The configurator has not caught up, which is not right; I will let them know so they can correct that.

Any Volvo retailer can configure, within their ordering system, a MY19 V90 CC Ocean Race, though.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

When we bought ours, I assumed it would be limited to the one 2018 model year, like our previous 2015.5 XC60 OR (perhaps the same with prior OR editions?). The actual Volvo Ocean Race boat competition occurred from 2017-2018, so this seemed unusual; perhaps Volvo is simply completing the planned production run after getting a late start.

Volvo has pulled-out as main sponsor of future races, so this is probably the last you'll see of the ORE, unfortunately.
      Current
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

Prior Volvo's

Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      When we bought ours, I assumed it would be limited to the one 2018 model year, like our previous 2015.5 XC60 OR (perhaps the same with prior OR editions?). The actual Volvo Ocean Race boat competition occurred from 2017-2018, so this seemed unusual; perhaps Volvo is simply completing the planned production run after getting a late start.

Volvo has pulled-out as main sponsor of future races, so this is probably the last you'll see of the ORE, unfortunately.
      Yes I was surprised that there was a MY19 as well. And very annoyed - as my vehicle was produced during the last week of MY18 production and I would have happily waited a few weeks for a newer MY. But my OSD order was already locked in, Volvo refused to change it, and I would have had to forfeit the $3000 deposit. In hindsight, they never said it was 3,000 vehicles in MY18. They just introduced the trim/edition and stated initial numbers around 3,000. So yeah, either the late start caused production to seep past MY18 or sales weren't as robust as hoped for.

Yes I was surprised that there was a MY19 as well.
      i agree with your analysis...the MY designation is just a break in production between calendar dates that mark MY18 versus MY19...same car - same features/options...only difference is production date, IMO...

sure would be nice to know how many ORs have been built between both model years...i'm thinking the 3,000 mark is what they aimed for and that it's now split between two model years due to the start date of production...

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      The configurator has not caught up, which is not right; I will let them know so they can correct that.

Any Volvo retailer can configure, within their ordering system, a MY19 V90 CC Ocean Race, though.
      It hasn't caught up with other V90 Cross Country wagons either... Still lists the V90 CC T5 as having a single-dial instrument panel (speedometer only, with the "occasional" tachometer arc to the left in Dynamic mode) when you don't add in any options/packages, but I understand that MY 2019 has put the dual-dial instrument panel standard even on the base T5 Cross Country. I think there are some other options for T5 in MY2018 that have also become standard in MY2019, like heated front seats...

This somewhat corroborates what was communicated by folks from the OSD program, although my experience is limited to just that conversation. The ordering system for OSD opens up in March for the next model year, so in this instance, it would likely be for MY2020 cars to be delivered after the factory shut downs from mid-July through mid-August. But, they could not confirm if the OR would be available for MY2020. To me, I wanted to the OR and did not want to risk the car not being available for 1) OSD, and 2) MY2020. But, I was at least able to use the OSD pricing and experience as a negotiating point.

My car is actually an OSD vehicle. Not sure what the details were behind it, and more specifically, why it was available for purchase as a new car with only 35 miles on it and not in someone else's garage. But, because it was an OSD vehicle, it was not available to be leased. Did not matter to me, but that may have been a deterrent to others, potentially explaining why it was a new MY18 still sitting on the lot. That said, despite the bias of those on this thread, it's obviously not a car for everyone.
      2018 V90 Cross Country ORE
      2013 C30 PLE (#46)
      2016 V60 Polestar (RIP)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast