Auto Start/Stop stopped working
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 34 of 34
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      642

      Auto Start/Stop stopped working

      The start stop feature stopped working on my car. Last time I had this issue almost two years ago they updated the software and changed the battery in the trunk. Now here we are again.. anyone else experience this?

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Quote Originally Posted by dealcatcher View Post
      The start stop feature stopped working on my car. Last time I had this issue almost two years ago they updated the software and changed the battery in the trunk. Now here we are again.. anyone else experience this?

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Yes, mine rarely works. Had the car taken in to get it looked at. Somehow both batteries are good and charging system are good. If the batteries fall below a certain level of charge you wont get start/stop. If you throw your car on the charger I am willing to bet it would work again. This is stupid and irritating...

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      653
      Quote Originally Posted by dealcatcher View Post
      The start stop feature stopped working on my car. Last time I had this issue almost two years ago they updated the software and changed the battery in the trunk. Now here we are again.. anyone else experience this?

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Are you aware of all the parameters that must be satisfied in order for the stop/start feature to function?

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Posts
      274
      It may be due to temperature. It doesn't work below 23F and I believe the car has to reach operating temp. I've noticed that it takes longer for the system to go active in winter after first starting up.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      746
      If you find out what caused this behavior, please share it. I'm willing to pay good money to have this 'feature' be permanent! (dislike SS)
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

    8. #6
      Quote Originally Posted by dealcatcher View Post
      The start stop feature stopped working on my car. Last time I had this issue almost two years ago they updated the software and changed the battery in the trunk. Now here we are again.. anyone else experience this?

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Several factors limit start / stop:

      1. Too Hot or Cold outside
      2. You don't drive the car very far and only make short journeys. Car Battery has to be charged enough for start/stop to work. Which requires at least some protracted driving.

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      642
      Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      Are you aware of all the parameters that must be satisfied in order for the stop/start feature to function?
      Yes I am aware of all the conditions and I live in socal so temps are relatively warm. There's an issue with the car.

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      642
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Several factors limit start / stop:

      1. Too Hot or Cold outside
      2. You don't drive the car very far and only make short journeys. Car Battery has to be charged enough for start/stop to work. Which requires at least some protracted driving.
      Even after long drives it still doesn't work. It worked for almost two years so why all of a sudden it stops working.

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      Ledyard, CT
      Posts
      257
      On our 2016 XC90, the stop/start has work sporadically throughout the entire time we have had the car. We will get software updates and it will work for a bit and then not work again. The XC does sit for long periods of time, but I drove it from CT to NJ in the late summer/early fall (about a 2 hour drive - all highway) and it still didn't work. What is interesting is we recently got a 2018 V90CC and the stop/start works flawlessly. The car is a daily driver, so that might be a slight difference, but other than an updated software (V90 was purchased in December 2018 - last service on the XC90 was July 2018) I would assume everything else is the same (batteries, cabling, etc.).
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

    12. #10
      Junior Member mxms533's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      264
      This happened to me as well - it was this way for the last couple months. Then, after leaving the car while out of town for a bit over the holidays, it didn't start up at all. Got it towed to Culver City Volvo and they changed the battery - said it was bad. It's been about a week and start/stop works every time now since the new battery was installed.

      Since you did get your battery changed, I wouldn't have expected this to occur again for you, but maybe that one was bad too.
      I was ignoring the absence of start/stop until eventually I came back to a dead battery, so maybe get it looked at before you are in a similar situation.
      2017 T6 XC90 Momentum+ | Crystal White Pearl | Amber/Charcoal | Convenience | Vision | HUD | Air Suspension | 20" 5-Double Spoke Matte Black Wheels (US OSD: Sweden - Aug, 2016, US - Nov, 2016)

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      342
      Stop / Start does not work on my 2016 and I am delighted about it - one of the worst features of modern motor cars.
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

    14. #12
      Member reeg2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Fort Worth, TX
      Posts
      1,723
      Quote Originally Posted by dealcatcher View Post
      The start stop feature stopped working on my car. Last time I had this issue almost two years ago they updated the software and changed the battery in the trunk. Now here we are again.. anyone else experience this?
      I've been through two start/stop batteries - but latest one has held up well.
      I'd bet your battery is not fully charging or has a bad cell.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      Ledyard, CT
      Posts
      257
      Quote Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
      I've been through two start/stop batteries - but latest one has held up well.
      I'd bet your battery is not fully charging or has a bad cell.
      My general impression is Volvo batteries aren’t very good. We replaced the battery in my wife’s 2013 S60 twice under warranty. I replaced the battery in my Subaru after almost 10 years of ownership. With the s60, it died unexpectedly after stopping to get gas and then had it die again a couple months later. Current battery has been installed for a couple years now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it too does at some point in the not to distant future. Other than the stop/star issue, we have had no reason to think the battery is an issue in our 2016
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      746
      Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      Stop / Start does not work on my 2016 and I am delighted about it - one of the worst features of modern motor cars.
      Agree - it's a terrible idea. Gets in the way every time I want to back up into a parking spot or during stop & go traffic. I ALWAYS turn it off, I envy the 2019 MY owners. I almost wish something bad would happen to our 2018 so I can upgrade... almost.
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

    17. #15
      Quote Originally Posted by dealcatcher View Post
      The start stop feature stopped working on my car. Last time I had this issue almost two years ago they updated the software and changed the battery in the trunk. Now here we are again.. anyone else experience this?

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Yes, this has been a repeat issue for me. It stopped working on my car one day and never did again for about half-a-year until I had it in for servicing and reported the issue. After that it worked again for a few weeks then stopped again and hasn't since.

    18. #16
      Junior Member Okidiver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Tampa...sometimes
      Posts
      985
      We will all continue to beta test intermittant S/S, which has a mind of its own, until morale improves...
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      586
      Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      Agree - it's a terrible idea. Gets in the way every time I want to back up into a parking spot or during stop & go traffic. I ALWAYS turn it off, I envy the 2019 MY owners. I almost wish something bad would happen to our 2018 so I can upgrade... almost.
      MY 2019 Volvos have the option to keep auto-start/stop off permanently? I hadn't heard that. That would make me look more closely at MY 2019 Volvos...

    20. #18
      Junior Member GatorVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      360
      Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      MY 2019 Volvos have the option to keep auto-start/stop off permanently? I hadn't heard that. That would make me look more closely at MY 2019 Volvos...
      Yes. I had a 2019 loaner and can confirm the auto-start/stop was disabled when I picked up the vehicle.

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      642
      It's about time!

      Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    22. #20
      Member reeg2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Location
      Fort Worth, TX
      Posts
      1,723
      Quote Originally Posted by xSpecBx View Post
      My general impression is Volvo batteries aren’t very good. We replaced the battery in my wife’s 2013 S60 twice under warranty. I replaced the battery in my Subaru after almost 10 years of ownership. With the s60, it died unexpectedly after stopping to get gas and then had it die again a couple months later. Current battery has been installed for a couple years now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it too does at some point in the not to distant future. Other than the stop/star issue, we have had no reason to think the battery is an issue in our 2016
      Agreed - Been through 3 batteries on our '13 XC60; seems like an awful lot of bad cells.
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Posts
      64
      Quote Originally Posted by Noonzio View Post
      Stop / Start does not work on my 2016 and I am delighted about it - one of the worst features of modern motor cars.
      I always turn it off and never use it. This week a warning message “start/stop service required “ came up and stays on even though I turn it off. The start battery was replaced a month ago. I tested both batteries and they are 12.45V and 12.55V when the engine is off, and 14.5V when idle. Will bring it in this Friday. Do you get the warning message on your car? The message is annoying and blocks part of panel to show maps.


      (2016 XC90 T6 Polestar)

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      342
      Quote Originally Posted by goooglemen View Post
      I always turn it off and never use it. This week a warning message “start/stop service required “ came up and stays on even though I turn it off. The start battery was replaced a month ago. I tested both batteries and they are 12.45V and 12.55V when the engine is off, and 14.5V when idle. Will bring it in this Friday. Do you get the warning message on your car? The message is annoying and blocks part of panel to show maps.


      (2016 XC90 T6 Polestar)
      I don't have any warning message
      2016 XC90 T6 First Edition (64k)
      2011 Mini Cooper Clubman JCW (84k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (86k)
      SOLD: 2008 XC90 V8 Executive (91k)
      SOLD: 2007 S80 3.2 (80k)

    25. #23
      Awaiting Approval
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Posts
      2

      RE: Auto Start/Stop stopped working

      Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      Are you aware of all the parameters that must be satisfied in order for the stop/start feature to function?
      Yes, and most of them are obviously met: I'm wearing my seat belt. My speed is appropriate. The parking brake is not engaged. Temperature is just right. I'm not in the middle of a turn. The only thing that I can't tell right away is the battery charge but I just had 10,000 mi service and a recall software update to restore the city safe functions.

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      696
      Quote Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
      I've been through two start/stop batteries - but latest one has held up well....
      Does this battery effect any other functions or is it limited to just start/stop?
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

    27. #25
      Junior Member duncantuna's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      12
      New owner of a 2016 T6 here .. I've read these threads about start/stop .. in my month of ownership, S/S has never once been "Ready".

      I did throw the battery on a charger until it read 100% .. no difference -- although I'd guess the battery is 3 years old, so may not have the capacity any longer.

      Question, though .. if you attach a charger to the poles under the hood .. does the "secondary battery" get charged too?

      Should you charge the 2nd battery separately?

    28. #26
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,451
      Quote Originally Posted by duncantuna View Post
      New owner of a 2016 T6 here .. I've read these threads about start/stop .. in my month of ownership, S/S has never once been "Ready".

      I did throw the battery on a charger until it read 100% .. no difference -- although I'd guess the battery is 3 years old, so may not have the capacity any longer.

      Question, though .. if you attach a charger to the poles under the hood .. does the "secondary battery" get charged too?

      Should you charge the 2nd battery separately?
      It is the official poles to use when jump start the car. So it should charge the battery in trunk, and the small battery in front as well.
      Can easily confirmed by a multi-meter.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    29. #27
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2016
      Location
      EU
      Posts
      1,305
      As I understand it, there is no dedicated S/S battery as such. There is an auxilliary battery under the hood that supports
      (controls) S/S but doesn't actually do it. I think that this battery keeps the electronics of the car alive by preventing a
      voltage dip while the main battery delivers a heavy load. This main battery is in the boot and powers the starter.
      As already mentioned above, a charger connected to the points under the hood charges both batteries.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Prosper, TX
      Posts
      32
      New owner of a CPO 17 T6 Inscription, just bought Saturday. Our “Ready” has been grayed out since we’ve been driving it. The start stop didn’t work during the test drive. The sales guy said it won’t work when the temp is cool. I found this thread googling the issue. Since I have no idea how long the car sat on the lot, and how many short test drives it went on. We’re taking a long trip tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if it starts working after the long drive.

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Prosper, TX
      Posts
      32
      Quote Originally Posted by BriDroid View Post
      New owner of a CPO 17 T6 Inscription, just bought Saturday. Our “Ready” has been grayed out since we’ve been driving it. The start stop didn’t work during the test drive. The sales guy said it won’t work when the temp is cool. I found this thread googling the issue. Since I have no idea how long the car sat on the lot, and how many short test drives it went on. We’re taking a long trip tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if it starts working after the long drive.
      Long road trip today. On the way home the “ready” went from gray to white and the Start/Stop started working. I did notice that the kick sensor under the rear bumper didn’t work this morning. I’m wondering if that’s the issue with ours drawing the battery down.

    32. #30
      Junior Member duncantuna's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      12
      A follow up .. I've had my 2016 XC90 for almost 3 months now. The Start/Stop has never once engaged .. until TODAY. I was totally shocked, like I thought of taking a picture.

      We'd driven 400 highway miles the day before, but I've driven plenty of 200 mile trips as well, figured the battery would be completely charged many times before, not to mention putting it on a charger for a couple hours to no effect.

      I wonder if it'll work again tomorrow.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Location
      Maine, USA
      Posts
      94
      Quote Originally Posted by duncantuna View Post
      A follow up .. I've had my 2016 XC90 for almost 3 months now. The Start/Stop has never once engaged .. until TODAY. I was totally shocked, like I thought of taking a picture.

      We'd driven 400 highway miles the day before, but I've driven plenty of 200 mile trips as well, figured the battery would be completely charged many times before, not to mention putting it on a charger for a couple hours to no effect.

      I wonder if it'll work again tomorrow.
      The exact same thing happened to me, mine worked for a few days after purchase then not again for 6 months. Now it works again all the time, even when it's really cold out, so who knows. For reference I drive 100 miles 5 days a week, so I'm sure unless the battery needs replacing it's plenty charged.

    34. #32
      Junior Member Okidiver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Tampa...sometimes
      Posts
      985
      A/S/S will tempt you and work just when you don't need it (like inching forward in traffic), then not work at the next four minute light. Nonetheless, Volvo appreciates your beta testing.
      Rapid Rick...I roll
      2008 C30 Matt Pearl Gold OSD-customized w/Elevate tune
      2015 V60 Seashell Metallic w/Platinum, BLIS, wood

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2016
      Posts
      642
      Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      A/S/S will tempt you and work just when you don't need it (like inching forward in traffic), then not work at the next four minute light. Nonetheless, Volvo appreciates your beta testing.


      Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

    36. #34
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,451
      Quote Originally Posted by Okidiver View Post
      A/S/S will tempt you and work just when you don't need it (like inching forward in traffic), then not work at the next four minute light. Nonetheless, Volvo appreciates your beta testing.
      No car could know your road condition and time at next red light.
      To better use A/S/S, I think people better use the manual shifting approach. It is the easy way to effectively use or disallow A/S/S.

      The best approach would be every car is hybrid and could start moving with e-motor. Then A/S/S is always on and not intrusive at all. I am just not sure if the new B4/B5/B6 48V BSG hybrid Volvo could do so.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 12-29-2019 at 01:45 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    37. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements