brakes
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: brakes

brakes

My wife's 2013 XC with 60,000+ miles and still has original brakes that still look good. Is that unusual? Thanks in advance
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2013 XC60 T6 Savile Grey Metallic/Black (wife's)
      2010 Ford Ranger
      http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/reward2/library/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That is a little unusual. A car with very gentle brake use should be able to get that kind of brake life. I think the fronts on mine will go 60k - the rears not so much.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by reward2 View Post
      My wife's 2013 XC with 60,000+ miles and still has original brakes that still look good. Is that unusual? Thanks in advance
      I would take her out for a nice dinner.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      I would take her out for a nice dinner.
      +1 For sure!
      "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke
      2007 S60R Magic Blue Metallic/Gobi MT 70,000+ miles (IPD intercooler, Hawk ceramics)
      2010 Ford Ranger

Lucky! I just swapped my front pads out at 33k. Only did pads as rotors were still good. Come end of winter will need to do rear pads and rotors.
      2019 XC60 R-Design - work in progress
      2015 XC60 R-Design - Totaled
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

I had my front brakes (pads and rotors) replaced changed at 75K during state inspection. The rears made it to the 80K service.

These vehicles seem harder on brakes than past vehicles Iíve owned. I drive primarily highway miles and got 100K out of the front brakes on my previous vehicle.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.brian23 View Post
      I had my front brakes (pads and rotors) replaced changed at 75K during state inspection. The rears made it to the 80K service.

These vehicles seem harder on brakes than past vehicles Iíve owned. I drive primarily highway miles and got 100K out of the front brakes on my previous vehicle.
      100k??? what do you do coast to a stop or put your hand out of the window like an air brake. Thats a record if i ever heard one.
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

FYI for all: She took it to our INDY and the rears needed new for sure and the fronts were close so she had new all around. That is 63,000+ which is very good in my experience.
      2010 Ford Ranger

It is not all that rare... We were under the 5 year 60K maintenance plan on our 2011 XC60 T6 R Design and luckily got the brakes replaced for free around 58K if I recall...
      2011 XC60 T-6 AWD R-Design + Polestar, Passion Red (climate, navigation, and technology packages). Added: Custom Subwoofer, Trailer Hitch, Vision X LED light bar and fogs, and Laser Interceptor V. 8 (Quad).

Quote Originally Posted by LVE2DRV View Post
      100k??? what do you do coast to a stop or put your hand out of the window like an air brake. Thats a record if i ever heard one.
      Haha, no arms out the window!

Like I said, I drive mostly highway miles. My all-highway commute with my previous vehicle was 80-100 miles so the mileage was accrued without much brake use. That vehicle had 125K miles when it was only 4-years old!

Since Iíve gotten my XC60, Iíve moved a couple times and Iím now down to a 50 mile round trip commute and itís mostly been split between two cars (formerly a beater Subaru and now my GTI).
      Last edited by Thomas.brian23; 02-16-2019 at 11:09 AM.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.brian23 View Post
      Haha, no arms out the window!

Like I said, I drive mostly highway miles. My all-highway commute with my previous vehicle was 80-100 miles so the mileage was accrued without much brake use. That vehicle had 125K miles when it was only 4-years old!

Since Iíve gotten my XC60, Iíve moved a couple times and Iím now down to a 50 mile round trip commute and itís mostly been split between two cars (formerly a beater Subaru and now my GTI).
      I am actually looking into getting a VW GTI as a daily. How do you like it? Any issues with it? I was thinking of getting a ECU and down pipe upgrade for a bit more daily fun.
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

Quote Originally Posted by LVE2DRV View Post
      I am actually looking into getting a VW GTI as a daily. How do you like it? Any issues with it? I was thinking of getting a ECU and down pipe upgrade for a bit more daily fun.
      I do like it, but Iíve been spoiled by my Volvo at least with regard to the sound system, the road/ tire noise, and the ride quality. My XC60 is far more comfortable. All of those things should be expected with a hot hatch though.

The base sound system in the GTI is really horrible; canít stress that enough and thatís with me comparing the GTI to the base system (not HK) in my XC60. I will be doing the Helix subwoofer/ amp upgrade in the near future if I keep the GTI. I say if because I may be moving in the near future and may need to sell one of my cars. If one has to go, itís adios VW. Itís not that I donít like it, but:
      (1) my XC60 is paid off and my VW still has a lien
      (2) the SUV is more practible for the weather and potholes in the northeast US

Speaking of potholes, a nasty interstate pothole destroyed the sidewall on my driverís front tire in mid-January so Iíve already had to replace one tire on the GTI due to the roads around here... I see you are located in NYC... Iíll leave it at that.

I went for the SE model which for MY 2018 did not include the upgraded Fender audio system or the adaptive suspension (DCC). I suspect my qualms about the sound system and ride quality would have been somewhat alleviated by springing for the Autobahn trim or the MY 19 SE w/ ďExperience PackageĒ (Fender & DCC). I blame myself for not test driving the different GTI trim levels.

Iíve had the GTI since late July and it has
      I went for the manual transmission and 2nd gear is STUPIDLY high. Itís very annoying in stop-n-go traffic as 1st gear is too high but 2nd is too low. You have to wind the motor up to 3.5-4K in 1st gear so that it goes into 2nd smoothly. I know that doesnít sound like a legitimate complaint as you read it, but youíll understand what I mean if you test drive the M/T.

From what I hear, the clutches in the M/T MK7 GTIs are pretty weak and itís not uncommon to have them only last 35K miles on stock cars. If you are thinking of doing a tune, budget for an upgraded clutch as well. Mine is stock and will remain stock so as not to mess up the substantial 6 year/ 72K warranty. The 2018 and older automatic (DSG) cars need a ~$400 service every 40K that cannot be missed or postponed. The service intervals on the 2019 DSGs are longer as they were upgraded from a 6-speed DSG to a 7-speed DSG.

I donít want to steer this thread off topic so feel free to PM if you want more GTI info or opinion. In summary:

Top 3 GTI likes:
      (1) Laugh-inducing handling
      (2) #SaveTheManuals
      (3) Adaptive-LED headlights are sweet

Top 3 Dislikes
      (1) Base stereo sucks
      (2) Ride quality/ road noise
      (3) Low ride height (blinded by headlights of every SUVs/ trucks on the road)
      Last edited by Thomas.brian23; 02-17-2019 at 08:38 PM.
      2013 XC60 T6 AWD
      2018 VW GTI SE 6MT

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements