Rear Window Defroster
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Rear Window Defroster

Hi folks,

Any suggestions about aftermarket glue-on rear window defrosters? Obviously I could buy a rear window with an element in it but am looking for cheaper solutions.

Getting a bit tired of not knowing who is tailgating me on these frosty mornings.

Thanks,
      Adrian
      Last edited by Adrian L; 01-19-2019 at 01:39 AM.
      1966 Volvo 122S B18D
      1971 Jaguar XJ6 Mk1 4.2
      1985 GMC Vandura Camper 5.7

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Can't advise on aftermarket defrosters; but, is your '66 fitted with an alternator? If not, it might be wise to consider a coincident installation. The rear window defoggers are commonly fused at 15 - 20 amps. At normal idle speed, I expect running the heater fan, headlights and defogger is going to present a challenge to an original DC generator.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

Adrian;

I totally agree with 142G on this...any electrically powered rear window defroster with any kind of effectiveness, will be a serious load (typically 10A+) which an OE Gen will not be able to keep up with...net effect: Battery will be discharging whenever it is in use! Heated wires "adhered" to the glass are less than impressive or longlasting in my experience...a little heating element with blower on the back shelf [what I prefer, have, and recommend] works well, but an Alt is necessary to power it. Search: rear window defroster blower

Good Hunting!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I do have a '67 motor which has the handy alternator bracket--and alternator!. Will investigate the blower option.
      1966 Volvo 122S B18D
      1971 Jaguar XJ6 Mk1 4.2
      1985 GMC Vandura Camper 5.7

I used one of these:
      https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-v...ters-about.htm

It works pretty well. The only complaint i have is the pig tails for the wiring are a bit ugly, but i was able to hide them pretty well by running the wire under the rear glass rubber / behind the headliner. I also installed and wired mine up before putting in the interior.

35;

How is the adhesion of wires on glass?

Little known facts:

--Mid-'60's Volvo Accessory catalog shows a '50's-style fan for the Amazon rear deck, rotatable front or back for summer or winter benefit...Part # escapes me right now.

--All Amazons came "prewired" with a pair of (brown, gray) extra wires for "extra" equipment. The forward ends are tucked into the wiring harness by the left A-pillar base; they terminate at the trunk wiring harness by the left tailight.
      Intended for installation of e.g. rear deck fan, reverse light (early cars), rear fog light, etc.
      '62 Amazon Original 65K mile time capsule
      '94 MBz E320 wagon 120K miles '92 MBz 300CE 2Dr 180K cold weather miles
      '94 MBz E420 120K miles '86 BMW 635CSi 2Dr 180K warm weather miles

nNH;

Using those extra 18ga wires are OK for modest loads like fans (only) or Rear Fog Light which are only drawing a few Amps, but I recommend sending the upwards of 10A necessary for a Rear Window Defroster through a newly run 14 or even 12ga wire to be on the safe side...and fuse it appropriately too!

Cheers

Good point if supplying much more than light and fan.

If you did end up with a significantly larger draw, like a little toaster oven, and you joined the 18ga pair to supply the juice/emf, what gauge would the wire pair "act like"?
      '62 Amazon Original 65K mile time capsule
      '94 MBz E320 wagon 120K miles '92 MBz 300CE 2Dr 180K cold weather miles
      '94 MBz E420 120K miles '86 BMW 635CSi 2Dr 180K warm weather miles

nNH;

From memory and without confirming...the general rule is that cross-sectional area doubles with gauge, so two 18s in parallel would have a similar to a single 16ga. ...that would still be a bit light IMO for 10A+.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
      35;

How is the adhesion of wires on glass?
      The adhesion is pretty good... has lasted 4ish years so far and not coming unglued from the original rear glass yet. I did make sure to thoroughly clean the glass immediately before application, so that probably helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian L View Post
      Hi folks,

Any suggestions about aftermarket glue-on rear window defrosters? Obviously I could buy a rear window with an element in it but am looking for cheaper solutions.

Getting a bit tired of not knowing who is tailgating me on these frosty mornings.

Thanks,
      Adrian
      I just run the Panda extra rich in the winter so that the fumes keep tailgaters at bay

Also curious about this, thanks for raising the question Adrian.

KK

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements