Rear doors gather way too much snow/dirt, design flaw? - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      I wonder if they chnage the design of this flaw for the '20 ?
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PineGreyXC60 View Post

Full day driving in mud and rain. Still clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Well, that sold me on it. I would like to see if the black ones would look better on the Metallic Crystal White or would the white on white look better.

Anyone have an opinion?

i would definately say Black for Crystal White.
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Okay I’m back from my vacation and as promised here are the photos of the black on my crystal white.

There is a bit of a gap at the bottom but I can probably adjust it once it warms up more. It was -2 out here when I just installed it.

Installed mine today as well, black on Fusion Red just like above so didn't bother taking any pictures. I cleaned the door on one side and left the other all caked and crufty, plus I'm off to Tahoe for 4 days in the snow next weekend, and then will shoot a little video showing how each side held up.

FWIW, the plastic 10mm hex nuts are seriously weak sauce, be careful not to over-torque and strip them them...anybody have any suggestions on perhaps a more robust replacement that'll allow a more secure fixture of these liners?

Also installed an IPD wheel stud kit and a Swedespeed license plate frame, but that's for another discussion...
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads
      did you all get the second suggested set, the less expensive ones? i wonder if the pieces are supplied on cars built and delivered in china. and am i correct in assuming the parts are plastic?
      2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

I got the aliexpress kit, and yes it's plastic. Kinda thin/hard/brittle feeling, not sure how well it'll take a good kick from a rock so that'll be TBD...

The up close pics of the hunk of plastic with the doors open looks really cheap and clearly added on. I'm guessing in real life it isn't as noticeable?

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      The up close pics of the hunk of plastic with the doors open looks really cheap and clearly added on. I'm guessing in real life it isn't as noticeable?
      Unless you drive around with your doors open it's a non issue. The pros of keeping the crap off of the doors and interior outweigh the cons of how it looks when the doors are open.
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

I'll probably end up getting one of these then. I just keep scratching my head wondering how they designed this literal mess?

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      I'll probably end up getting one of these then. I just keep scratching my head wondering how they designed this literal mess?
      Interestingly, the xc90 doesn't share the same design. Apparently, there are many vehicles out there that also have this design where the edge of the 2nd row door goes all the way to the wheel well, instead of having extra body panel between the door and the wheel well. It is possible that all those other vehicles have the same mud retention behavior.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads
      tried 3 - 4 times to fill in their order form. first they insist on setting up an account. then my amx card requires two more levels of security. while the security is being attempted their page resets. finally decided the $90 would pay for nearly two tanks of gas.
      2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

I ordered from this seller on aliexpress - $86 shipped w/ coupons. Arrived in exactly 8 days from when I placed my order.

No fitment issues with the fender extensions for the 22's.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

The engineer team that did the rear doors probably did the rear cup holders as well. The darn thing rattles like crazy when it is out and does not have a bottle in it. My daughter leaves it out all the time so I am constantly reaching back and pushing it back in.
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)
      19 XC60 T6 RD (Wife's Ride/Fusion Red)

Quote Originally Posted by johnauten View Post
      The engineer team that did the rear doors probably did the rear cup holders as well. The darn thing rattles like crazy when it is out and does not have a bottle in it. My daughter leaves it out all the time so I am constantly reaching back and pushing it back in.

It's incredible how such a small thing produces such a sound
      Last edited by BigBang; 03-23-2019 at 04:48 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by johnauten View Post
      Yes, I agree. even though I am a solo driver, though sometimes I use the rear fold down cup holder during my morning commute and after using it later in the day, when it is still down after that, I have heard that rattle too. Just had to comment to let you know you are not alone johnauten!
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription - B & W

Quote Originally Posted by VeeXCee View Post
      Yes, I agree. even though I am a solo driver, though sometimes I use the rear fold down cup holder during my morning commute and after using it later in the day, when it is still down after that, I have heard that rattle too. Just had to comment to let you know you are not alone johnauten!
      Always glad to know that I am not just hearing things inside the car. My wife does not even hear the rattle.
      16 V60P* (Rebel Blue)
      05 V70R MT (Red/Atacama)
      19 XC60 T6 RD (Wife's Ride/Fusion Red)

Flash forward a hundred years and I bet you cars still rattle like crazy. It's one of those perplexing things that they never quite get right.

I check most of the cars’s rear door has the rubber sealed that mold to the wheel arch.

Volvo should recall this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by goyard View Post
      I check most of the cars’s rear door has the rubber sealed that mold to the wheel arch.

Volvo should recall this problem.

yeah I agree, I don't think the folks that washed the tester cars reported back to Volvo engineers.

Need some help if possible my friends... Earlier this week we were at the TFL studios in Bouder Colorado shooting an episode of "Dude I Love/Hate My Ride" on my XC60, and the question came up of things I don't like. I of course mentioned the subject of this thread and showed where the add-on fender liners go and what part of the door gets dirty without them, but my XC was too clean to really make it easy to visualize what the problem is.

So, can I take somebody's picture of the door when it's dirty and send it to TFL with permission for them to use it as an overlay if they want to make it more clear what I was talking about? The top post picture would be great, but also if anybody else has a pic to share (bonus points on a Fusion Red XC!) please let me know.

Last edited by Putertech; 04-05-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: adding link
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

So are you in the "hate" or "love" camp (or do we have to tune in)? Let us know when it airs!
      Joe
      '19 XC60 T5 P* AWD R-Design

Love of course lol, though there are some things which I'm not a fan of (Cruise control too aggressive and firing up the ICE when you don't want it to, rear fender liners), and thing I wouldn't buy again (Bower's & Wilkins).

Quote Originally Posted by Kranvagn View Post
      Love of course lol, though there are some things which I'm not a fan of (Cruise control too aggressive and firing up the ICE when you don't want it to, rear fender liners), and thing I wouldn't buy again (Bower's & Wilkins).
      And I wouldn't consider it without the B&W.. ha..

Quote Originally Posted by Kranvagn View Post
      Need some help if possible my friends... Earlier this week we were at the TFL studios in Bouder Colorado shooting an episode of "Dude I Love/Hate My Ride" on my XC60, and the question came up of things I don't like. I of course mentioned the subject of this thread and showed where the add-on fender liners go and what part of the door gets dirty without them, but my XC was too clean to really make it easy to visualize what the problem is.

So, can I take somebody's picture of the door when it's dirty and send it to TFL with permission for them to use it as an overlay if they want to make it more clear what I was talking about? The top post picture would be great, but also if anybody else has a pic to share (bonus points on a Fusion Red XC!) please let me know.

I can send you the full res pics if you want. Just pm me.

Yes, we just bought an XC60, and I noticed gravel on the rear rubber seal, as shown in the photos above. I also have a 2013 S80, and the metal of the door extends much farther down. I guess the new design was to save costs.

I installed the mud guard too. Looks a little off as the seam between guard and door edge is apparently wider at bottom than top. It works though, and easy to install.

I picked the fusion red color, ordered from this guy:
      https://www.aliexpress.com/item/for-...968887627.html

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 04-27-2019 at 06:37 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

What color does the community suggest for a Bursting Blue? The black or blue color?

Seeing the Fusion Red with both black and red leaves me conflicted.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      What color does the community suggest for a Bursting Blue? The black or blue color?

Seeing the Fusion Red with both black and red leaves me conflicted.
      I've got the bursting blue ones in, just waiting to install them. Will get some pictures as soon as that happens.
      2018 XC60 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Vision | Advanced | B&W Premium Sound | Heated | Air Suspension
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD | Grey | SOLD

I got the “midnight magic silver” for my electric silver and the color does not match. Not too worried about that since most of it is not visible when the doors are closed but the figment is appallingly bad. As several photos on this thread show, the gap is smaller at the top but much more pronounced at the bottom. The slight touch of OCD in me makes me notice it every time I look.

Amazing that Volvo is doing absolutely nothing about it!

I bought from this chap on AliExpress. Can confirm similar fitment to above. The gap is due to the small plastic mudflap that's present in front of the rear wheels. I removed it, but then I thought Volvo must have put it there for a reason so replaced it.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MpTofNe

Quote Originally Posted by FirstVolvoUK View Post
      I bought from this chap on AliExpress. Can confirm similar fitment to above. The gap is due to the small plastic mudflap that's present in front of the rear wheels. I removed it, but then I thought Volvo must have put it there for a reason so replaced it.

Good find. Maybe possible to place the mudguard below the plastic mudflap? Just checked, not possible. The small mudflap is positioned a tad higher than the low edge of wheel well fleece so it has to go under the fleece. Maybe can cut the fleece edge a tiny bit to make the mdflap fit outside. Seems not worthy though...

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 06-09-2019 at 02:52 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

Yep, thought about it now worth the trouble. Maybe tgey could revise the design of these.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstVolvoUK View Post

I was actually playing around with this last week to see if I could get it to fit better. I removed the plastic front mud flap completely and then re-installed it - it fit a little better but still had the gap on the bottom

I have a feeling it is either a design defect or it has something to do with the wheel well liner. I want to remove the liner behind the piece and see how it sits.

I dont think it is a design defect, since I have seen pics and the install video on their aliexpress page show it fitting perfectly - which is confusing as to why we are all having this gap on the bottom.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast