SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Rear doors gather way too much snow/dirt, design flaw?

96K views 273 replies 98 participants last post by  mboros 
#1 · (Edited)
I drive a 2018 XC60 T6.

Has anyone else noticed that the rear doors gather WAY too much dirt, snow, etc.. to the point the buildup is inches thick. Check out this after driving around town (yes we get snow here), left side is all the dirty snow, grime, and the right side is after I cleaned it. I've never had this happen in other SUV's we've owned. Such a bad design. Common Volvo.

See less See more
#131 ·
Wouldn't be surprised if it's made by the same company as previous version ordered from China

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#142 ·
Can you please post a pic from the side once you have it installed. I want to see if the Volvo version has a consistent gap between the guard and the door along the full arch.

The one from China has a big gap at the bottom between the door and the guard and is nice and tight at the top.

Thanks...

#143 ·
I just contacted my local Volvo dealer - they are available in Canada - it take 2 days to arrive and costs 36.50 plus tax.

I was thinking of ordering a set but want to see how they look from the side once installed.

Really burns though that I already spent 120 on those Chinese ones...

#146 ·
#150 ·
thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive and continuing the search for a volvo part. i just used a bigbang link to order from the nearer by Connecticut dealer.
i guess volvo decided there was a need for one colour.

#151 ·
White spots in the Interior of the car

Guys - New XC60 owner here ...does anyone have issues with mysterious white spot appearing on front drive and passenger side hand-rest? I have these spots appear on first week of ownership and for the life of me i cant figure out what it is. They are mainly on the plastic parts. Any suggestion how to get rid of them?

#153 · (Edited)
Guys - New XC60 owner here ...does anyone have issues with mysterious white spot appearing on front drive and passenger side hand-rest? I have these spots appear on first week of ownership and for the life of me i cant figure out what it is. They are mainly on the plastic parts. Any suggestion how to get rid of them?
Unfortunately a well-known problem for which there is no solution, you will have to live with this problem

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?581033-White-Residue-on-Interior-Door-Panels

Thanks Volvo for the poor quality of the material (cheap Chinese plastic)

#156 ·
I did try to find these on Steingold's online sales & parts webpage but couldn't find it by browsing or searching.

#165 ·
BTW, don't know how its in US, but here in Russia, people saying that there is brand new TJ released. (don't know exact number...)
And now this part can be installed - under warranty, for free. :) So ask your dealer, TJ should be global I guess.

I bought that part just before knowing that.... so will save money for Volvo by installing it by myself ;)

#170 · (Edited)
Ordered the part from Volvo Wholesale Parts on Monday and they arrived today.

Didn't even take 5 minutes to install.

Just in time for winter. The forecast calls for snow this weekend. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#173 ·
Just a few screws that already exist in the wheel well

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#174 ·
Exact as Putertech says... in each wheel well there are 3 "nuts" that can be loosened by hand (see pic). I took all 3 off and installed the part. The holes in the parts line up perfectly with the bolts.

There were no clearance issues what so ever. The part seems well designed and fits the space perfectly.

I reinstalled the 3 nuts and hand tightened.

Near the bottom of the wheel well there are 2 Torx screws. I removed the nearest one and reinstalled it thru the attachment point in the part (see pic). Repeat on opposite wheel well.

Job done. Looks like it will solve the problem.

#176 ·
I believe I already mentioned above in a previous post that you can purchase these locally in Toronto from any local Volvo dealer. I just ordered a set yesterday from Mississauga volvo for $37 CAD - they will be here on Tuesday. Normally takes 2 days but Monday is a holiday.

Hope this helps...

#178 · (Edited)
My Volvo guards arrived today and I thought I would post some pics. These are made of a soft nylon as opposed to the Chinese ones which are a hard plastic. The Volvo ones are bigger and have a different shape and are very flexible. Finally the do fit the curvature of the rear door much better than the Chinese ones. There is no gap at the bottom - it has a very consistent gap from top to bottom.

Now that I have a spare set - if anyone is interested in them you can have them for cheap - send me a pm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.