Fix or Override Active Bending Headlight Failure / Headlights Need Service Message But Headlights Still Work?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fix or Override Active Bending Headlight Failure / Headlights Need Service Message But Headlights Still Work?

Problem: Both headlights still provide light but are "locked" pointing 15 deg to the left

Symptoms: ABL button's green activation LED is blinking on and off continuously. Headlight Service required message on the info display.
      Hitting the deactivate button does nothing. LED continues to blink.

Frankly, I can live without ABL - I just want the headlights to return to zero. Is there an override or manual defeat?

Cause: F&cking deer ran out in front of me tonight on the way home from a fight party. I saw it flash out of right side of my eye and cut the wheel hard left which lead to a glancing blow rather than a direct full-on hit. I inspected the damage - no dents or scratches, but the top housing of my right front headlight is fractured in a few places. I can live with the cracks. I'm literally going to fill them with Lexel tomorrow and call it job done.

The damn deer survived and ran off! Female, whitetail. No venison for me.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You will have to dismantle the headlamp assembly and inspect the internal mechanicals: drive motor and control parts. Something may have become dislodged during the impact.

This means baking the headlamp in an oven to soften the glue but not melt the plastic. Remove the lens and expose the internals. You may discover something is broken, in which case a new or 2nd hand headlamp will be required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you unplug the damaged one, will the good one recover?
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      If you unplug the damaged one, will the good one recover?
      I'll have to try when it warms up. The car is parked outside and it's -2 deg F with windchill.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

Hook up to VIDA to see what the fault codes are. It's just all guessing without doing that first.
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2005 S60R M66 Flash Green Acatama

I'll have to give that a try.
      The extent of the damages is so slight too. LF is cockeyed, RF outer housing is minimally fractured.

Check out this thread. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-motor-failure

Even though that damage is slight, that’s a pretty good whack to crack the lense in that manner. Worth checking out the servos to see if there is anything immediately noticeable.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 113k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - 160k miles
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Regarding the question on the other thread about an HCM test, I checked on my car a couple hours ago, for the Headlamp Control Module (HCM) there's a "quick test of HCM" in the Advanced tab of Vehicle Communications but I get an inactive start box so I'm probably doing something wrong (POSII but not running). I'll see over the next few days about getting this car out of the garage to try a few ignition and light switch combinations since I don't have any active codes, see if I can get something to work.

Glad you brought this up, made me look. The HCM is an active module with LIN connectivity to headlight control units in each of the light assemblies (LHCU, RHCU) which in turn interface with position sensors and the motors to move the lense assemblies. The HCUs move in tandem as you've discovered, and whatever one is doing the other is doing as directed by the HCM (two separate LIN feeds per the schematic).

So at a high level, you might disconnect the HCU connector (it "might" be on the little Valeo box between ABL and the inner lights but you'll need to validate a single green wire with a white stripe to be sure it's the right one). Then fire things back up, see if the left light assembly goes go back to a more normal position, disconnect the left side connector and figure out the right manually. If that does not work, you might assume that the HCM is also compromised (although I might go back through the fuses just to play it safe)

Worst case, you can disconnect the HCM completely from the equation, I think it's under the driver’s seat floor since the repair procedure in VIDA notes to remove the seat completely to get to it.

I have no idea what'll happen when you do these things but give them a try. Again, to be sure on the connector, the LIN conductor is the green wire with white stripe. I might have the connector wrong so don't go just by what I say, see the LIN conductor for yourself.

As a side note, with the exception of seeing a schematic for validation, what I just suggested is all in VIDA- (352: lighting, front).

Let me know how far you get with this, happy to assist further.
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

Thanks for the help. I won't have time to do this this weekend (Father's Day), but will attempt HCU disconnect / reconnect later next week. Will report the results after.

Similar, but not identical, problem in my 2012 R-design. ABL LED will not illuminate, and doesn't appear to be any backlighting either. Removed and inspected fuse, didn't have a chance to test but all looked fine. Just got the vehicle a couple of days ago, so still learning a lot about it, but other LEDs in the row do illuminate (but no backlighting). Backlighting is only present behind the "Rear AC" button.

Super excited to get to know the vehicle, and to bring it back from what appears to have been a somewhat rough first 95k miles. Some cosmetic issues, but nothing that would make you gasp. One of the front speakers is blown, going to diagnose this weekend and search for replacements. Dealer didn't know much about the car, so I found some things he said were "missing" as I've done more research.

I come from owning a 2006 Saab 9-3, and most recently a 2007 VW Rabbit, so I have plenty of Torx bits hanging around Excited to be in another Swedish vehicle!

You'll come to find that removing the speakers is a PITA. They're riveted in.
      We have more than a few speaker upgrade threads on here though, and I believe one of them has decent illustrative pictures included.

Been lurking and have seen a few threads, but don't want to derail this one. Turns out I was positioned wrong in the vehicle, and couldn't see the LED was lit. I noticed a few misplaced/missing fuses in a brief check yesterday, plan on doing more investigation in all fuse boxes this weekend. You'll see me around a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      Thanks for the help. I won't have time to do this this weekend (Father's Day), but will attempt HCU disconnect / reconnect later next week. Will report the results after.
      And?

** Need to add- was looking for something else and believe the HCU are the silver boxes under the light assemblies, cable from that should go up to the motor assembly I had mentioned. Two different parts for this, if you're post 358122 chassis it's the newer type. Could be the ballast as well but have not bothered to go look at mine.
      Think that might be what you disconnect for HCU.
      Last edited by ggleavitt; 07-04-2019 at 12:25 AM. Reason: add **
      2005 XC90 B5254T2 019 198k
      2008 XC90 B8444S Sport 452 127k

Quote Originally Posted by ggleavitt View Post
      And?

** Need to add- was looking for something else and believe the HCU are the silver boxes under the light assemblies, cable from that should go up to the motor assembly I had mentioned. Two different parts for this, if you're post 358122 chassis it's the newer type. Could be the ballast as well but have not bothered to go look at mine.
      Think that might be what you disconnect for HCU.
      Ugh. I didn't do it yet.
      I got busy over the past several weeks with unexpected family drop-ins, a backed-up A/C condensate line & tray that flooded my mechanical closet, and a business issue that took me out of town for about a week.
      Plus I have new problem: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...Is-My-ICM-Dead

Thanks for the reminder to give this a try. I just put a reminder in my iPhone for Sunday.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements