Spring seats failed 4x in last 12 months
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Spring seats failed 4x in last 12 months

Since installing bilstein struts up front in June 2015 I've had chronic spring seat failures every year. Stock soft R springs... Spring seats used were mostly OE volvo - lemfjorder on a few. All spring seat made today are xc90 style. It is possible the indy is using chinese parts or my hard driving/ banging into on and off ramps consistently exceeds manufacturer specifications. Also possible I have live w/ this and r&r the POS parts every ~3 months. It will cost zero to replace this time since the volvo shop thats been fixin volvo's for 40 yrs or something warranties the work/ parts they use of course. Still sucks. Suggestions welcome!

which part listed here does not fail?

04 V70R M66

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It looks like the large washer on the bottom of the strut mount is missing. They are sure to fail if it is. Can`t quite tell in your pics

thanks! which washer?

04 V70R M66

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      It looks like the large washer on the bottom of the strut mount is missing. They are sure to fail if it is. Can`t quite tell in your pics
      Yep, it isn't put together correctly. Looks like you are missing part #7 in the diagram. That would spread the shock load across the inner part of the seat instead of just around the shoulder of the shock rod.

Cheers,

Bill
      '08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire/Black)
      '05 V70R (Magic Blue/Gobi)
      '05 XC70 (Lava Sand/Gray)
      '96 850R (Red) - sadly missed genuine Cdn-spec w/M59 and 250HP
      Six other past Volvos, some missed others not so much.

Like billr says #7. Time for a new shop.

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
      Yep, it isn't put together correctly. Looks like you are missing part #7 in the diagram. That would spread the shock load across the inner part of the seat instead of just around the shoulder of the shock rod.

Cheers,

Bill
      Thanks man - 9 dollar insert washer 30647969 is the part. Will report back w results. Canít believe 2 or 3 shops missed it if the cause
      04 V70R M66

If it was forgotten the first time it was repaired, than subsequent shops would have no idea it should be there. You would have to take the car over jumps to have it fail that fast, and no one drives that hard on the street.

For what itís worth, I have tossed those out on rusted NE cars when swapping new seats in....Still going strong 3-4 years later... on multiple vehicles. Strange heís having that issue without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2000 Laser Blue V70R

Camber or caster being way off stresses it with extreme angles.. if you can pull the bump stop and boot down, youll be able to see if the washer is there.. if it doesnt pull down its attached to the washer.
      2005 S60R | DRag 18" DR34, ET40 (838) | 235 Thunderer Mach IV 302 | Delrin | PowerStop | Eibach | Fixed/replaced everything at my shop, just rolled 185k, like new. Original engine, trans, & drivetrain.

I don't know how anyone can discern from the pics if #7 is missing or not. It sits underneath the spring seat. There's no way to see that in the pics posted. But yes, if it is indeed missing, then that can be a problem.
      2007 SapphiCama V70R 400K+/Km
      R-Kelly Intake/CFE/H&R 5/15 spacers

Quote Originally Posted by CMOD_R View Post
      For what itís worth, I have tossed those out on rusted NE cars when swapping new seats in....Still going strong 3-4 years later... on multiple vehicles. Strange heís having that issue without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed.
      Sounds like cheap spring seats to me.
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      /2004 V70XC - Project Truk
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      (Sh!t, did I just agree with Chilled Man?) .

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
      Agreed.
      Claimed to be either new blue-box OE or Lemforder.
      '08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire/Black)
      '05 V70R (Magic Blue/Gobi)
      '05 XC70 (Lava Sand/Gray)
      '96 850R (Red) - sadly missed genuine Cdn-spec w/M59 and 250HP
      Six other past Volvos, some missed others not so much.

Is this the 04? How many miles? Has it been in a collision at any time? Have the subframe bushings been checked.
      2005 S60R | DRag 18" DR34, ET40 (838) | 235 Thunderer Mach IV 302 | Delrin | PowerStop | Eibach | Fixed/replaced everything at my shop, just rolled 185k, like new. Original engine, trans, & drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
      I don't know how anyone can discern from the pics if #7 is missing or not. It sits underneath the spring seat. There's no way to see that in the pics posted. But yes, if it is indeed missing, then that can be a problem.
      Exactly. You cannot see #7 in those. Not because it's missing, but because that's not where it goes.

You got the right struts?
      Last edited by Tech; 01-21-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Was going to say dont drive in advanced on rough roads all the time.. but you dont have 4c.
      Last edited by JeremyR; 01-21-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
      Was going to say dont drive in advanced on rough roads all the time.. but you dont have 4c.
      just no ohlins strut valve up front

Nothing is disabled, 4c is alive and well -still have rear CES valved shocks and steering, braking and engine

https://www.ohlins.com/products/ces/ces-ohlins-racing/

https://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/1008...-volvo-have-it
      04 V70R M66

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Exactly. You cannot see #7 in those. Not because it's missing, but because that's not where it goes.

Are B8's the right struts?
      04 V70R M66

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

I only install Volvo ones, since I work at a dealer. I've replaced countless spring seats over the years and never had them fail at the rate you're experiencing (or anywhere near it). Makes me suspect the aftermarket struts.
      Last edited by Tech; 01-22-2019 at 07:04 PM.

FWIW I've been running B8s with TME springs on my T5 for over 50k miles and still on the spring seats I installed at that same time. I also replaced all other associated hardware when I did the install. I don't think it would cause spring seats to fail but the factory bump stop is not supposed to be installed with B8s. My spring seats are the lemforder XC90 seats.
      Last edited by T501; 01-22-2019 at 10:32 PM.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

yeah after 10yrs 2 R's and ~200k driven I think bilstein b8 struts are perfect for the p2 volvo vs monroe. no missing washer, no other explanation other than they likely used garbage made in china pos spring seats but i didnt call bs on the shop owner or have the heart to ask to see volvo box or receipts. I'd need more tools, a new friggin tool box and 1/2 a day at least to do this myself. maybe next time

Thanks all for input!
      Last edited by JCN; 01-23-2019 at 01:46 AM.
      04 V70R M66

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably recommend Bilstein B8 struts over B6- the B6 are a little bit long, at least in 2.5T AWD spec. I think the B8 would go with the stiffer springs of the R better- lower ride height, stiffer springs, shorter shock body.

I would only use Volvo branded spring seats- had too many failures with other brands.

Wonder if your bottoming out the strut and slamming through the mount... sounds very plausable Not a big enough bump stop for the bisteins?

Anyone know if the shaft pushes all the way in before bottoming.

The Bilstein B6s and B8 have internal bump stops.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Summit says the 35-052227 does not fit and RockAuto has them listed.

That's why I asked if they are the right ones.

Summit says the 35-052227 does not fit and RockAuto has them listed.

That's why I asked if they are the right ones.
      Good point. I'm not an R guy but I don't think Bilstein makes a strut for Rs. That would mean that you have a regular S60 Bilstein strut which is made for higher spring rate springs. Although, I know Dougy has Bilsteins (I think B6s on his R) and doesn't pop spring seats but Dougy is special so... In fact I'm pretty sure he put some Jaguar springs on his R.
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Internal bump stop bad. If it bottoms out it puts all the force through the shaft into spring seat bushing. A proper setup has an external bumpstop that bumps off the body of the shock, and the larger seat surface. Not the metal sleeve in rubber alone. Get it? Do you have bump stops on it. The design of the spring seat is such.

For those that may be curious about Bilstein's internal bumps stop design, this video is more about modifying the strut but shows you what the bumpstop setup of the Bilstein looks like. Note: the damper insert of strut sits upside down compared to most factory style struts.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your Bilsteins but the problem is probably due to being mated with the soft R springs. See my previous post.
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

Thre are quite a few who are running bilstein shocks on the R. I am one and I used the B6 and have had no problems for my 3000 miles of driving so far. No more cringing every time I encounter a pothole or some FN transition in the road. No they donít make a specific shock for the R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 152k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 53K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 82k

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      Thre are quite a few who are running bilstein shocks on the R. I am one and I used the B6 and have had no problems for my 3000 miles of driving so far. No more cringing every time I encounter a pothole or some FN transition in the road. No they donít make a specific shock for the R.
      1 year follow up:

OE spring seats still holding up fine under heavy duty daily use. the failed spring seats installed were aftermarket shyte. the shop owner (in san mateo) pretended to not understand why they failed.

B8's still feel new - perfect strut for the P2 R!

the end
      Last edited by JCN; 03-01-2020 at 03:49 AM.
      04 V70R M66

Awesome update! Too bad the shop was dishonest though.

I'm currenty at 60k miles on my spring seats and they are just now starting to show some cracks but are not yet torn or making noise. I'm guessing I'll get 10-20k more miles out of them.
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

1 year follow up:

OE spring seats still holding up fine under heavy duty daily use. the failed spring seats installed were aftermarket shyte. the shop owner (in san mateo) pretended to not understand why they failed.

B8's still feel new - perfect strut for the P2 R!

the end
      Nice. Mine seem to be doing fine also but itís definitely not getting daily use. I am only doing about 2/3k a year since getting my truck. Itís good to know yours are good. Dougy already proved itís s good set up and Arch had his in for a while also along with others Iím sure.

2006 Sonic V70R GT 152k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 53K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 82k

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
      Agreed.
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      /2004 V70XC - Project Truk
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      (Sh!t, did I just agree with Chilled Man?) .

Iíve got 4 years and 50k on seats bought specifically under xc90 part number.

2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 205k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 298k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Use part number 30683637 Rein is OEM they are the XC90part and considered "HD".The Lemforder are the correct part but the older design and typically do not last as long
      15.5 V60 P* Rebel Blue( Regrettably (Sold) 07 S60R Titanium/Nordcap GT 4T5 Engine 07 S60R Silver/Gobi GT 07 S60R Titanium/Nordkap Gt 06 V70R M66 Titanium/Gobi IPD 4T4. 06V70R Electric silver/Nordkap GT(sold). 06 V70R Sonic/Nordkap M66 (sold and missed)98 S70 T5M Black/Black (Sold and missed)06 V70r GT Passion Red/Atacama(sold) 06 V70R GT Sonic/Gobi(sold and missed)98 S70 T5mRed/Black (sold and missed) 88 740 Turbo(Totaled) 89 780 Turbo(sold) 99 S70 N/A(sold) 98 V70 T5 Silver (sold)13 S60 T6 AWD R-Design White(leased and returned)

The "XC90 part number" is the only part number for P2 spring seats. Volvo P2 spring seats are all the same.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast