Brake pad variants RC01 and RC02
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Brake pad variants RC01 and RC02

For 2016- XC90s there are apparently two OEM brake pad variants that your vehicle may use depending on VIN -- either variant RC01 or RC02, with different part numbers. Does anyone know the difference between the two variants, and why aftermarket brake pads for 2016- XC90 do not distinguish between the two?

For anyone who has replaced their 2016- XC90 with aftermarket brake pads, was this an issue?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

T6 and T8 use different front pads. T8 is larger. Also, Volvo has released multiple versions to address brake noise since 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver
      2016 Porsche GT4, Sapphire Blue Metallic - weekend and track toy

Are calipers also larger on the T8?

If so, I see a future swap coming soon
      2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD Inscription
      Luxury Packaged w/ Air Suspension
      Onyx Black with Walnut & Amber
      Taking tires to the limit often
      on the Blue Ridge Parkway

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Yes, the T8 has larger front brakes than the T6.

I went Stoptech big brake kit on front though... you might want to check on that depending on how much Volvo would charge for a full T8 front brake kit.
      2018 Volvo XC-90 R-Design package, Bursting Blue Metallic - grocery hauler and daily driver

I'm finding the same part number on all model XC90's for calipers, even on the excellence.

I've got 60k on my front brakes.

36010012 - Left Caliper
      36010013 - Right Caliper

31471752 - 2017 Rotor part number
      31400569 - 2018+ Rotor part number
      2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD Inscription
      Luxury Packaged w/ Air Suspension
      Onyx Black with Walnut & Amber
      Taking tires to the limit often
      on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Strange as I see a reference to 18" and 19" front brake versions... what is that about then?

Quote Originally Posted by WunderWagen View Post
      Strange as I see a reference to 18" and 19" front brake versions... what is that about then?
      It's possible that Volvo uses bigger rotors on T8 models with same caliper as T6

Quote Originally Posted by WunderWagen View Post
      Yes, the T8 has larger front brakes than the T6.

I went Stoptech big brake kit on front though... you might want to check on that depending on how much Volvo would charge for a full T8 front brake kit.
      Hi,
      How do you like this upgrade?
      Can you pleas share part number?
      I'm thinking about the same upgrade, but did not find anything about Volvo on stoptech website/
      Thank you in advance

I just posted an update to my thread so you should see it. You can order the kit from Viva Performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrong info.

[edit](Still) no legit answer to this, except from comments taken from Pelican parts:

Note: With Variant Code (RC01), Standard Chassis.
      Note: With Variant Code (RC02), Comfort Chassis

Looking for insight, TIA.
      Last edited by tonyc; 02-26-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      no legit answer to this, except from Pelican parts:

Note: With Variant Code (RC01), Standard Chassis.
      Note: With Variant Code (RC02), Comfort Chassis

I'm assuming comfort chassis = air suspension.
      This is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      This is incorrect.
      thanks for the correction.

FCP euro advises, for a '18 (and therefore '16-'19) Momentum T6's front brake pad variety is code RC02, which is even better cause it's $10 cheaper than the RC01.
      Last edited by tonyc; 02-28-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevintinple View Post
      It's possible that Volvo uses bigger rotors on T8 models with same caliper as T6
      Probably just a different caliper carrier bracket. This is what Audi did on the B8 A4 vs S4. S4 had bigger rotors than the A4, but the same caliper on a longer bracket. Should make it an easy upgrade if that's the case.

RC02 is the redesigned brake system from the 2017 XC60

Quote Originally Posted by yettavr6 View Post
      Probably just a different caliper carrier bracket. This is what Audi did on the B8 A4 vs S4. S4 had bigger rotors than the A4, but the same caliper on a longer bracket. Should make it an easy upgrade if that's the case.
      Unfortunately RC01/RC02 use different brackets, calipers, rotors, and pads. Just learned this lesson on my XC60 over the weekend, 2016 R-Design Polestar Platinum. None of the parts are compatible, you either have RC02 or RC01. Took me forever to figure this out and figure out which is which. I hope I can save you the headache I ran into.

36002410/36002411 Calipers - RC01
      36012489/36012490 Calipers - RC02

Look at the diagrams on the volvo part stores, easiest way to figure out which you are is rotor width or caliper clip style. RC02 has a very different looking clip, again check those diagrams. If you can tell without taking the wheel off if your calipers are single piston or dual piston that will also tell you. Single piston is RC02.

RC01 - 328mm rotor, dual piston caliper, pads are wider
      RC02 - 324mm rotor, single piston caliper, slightly narrower pads

I realized this when I found a single piston caliper instead of the dual piston I was expecting. Don't trust part sites fitment guides unless they say specifically RC01/RC02 for a part, some sites don't even include the RC02 parts in the search. Parts geek did specify RC01/RC02 but you have to know which version you have for that to be useful.

I looked into replacing the calipers on my RC02 with the RC01 calipers since dual piston and 4mm larger rotor makes me think they would perform better but If you look at the diagrams on the volvo parts store RC01 & RC02 have completely different designs, brakets, everything. If you look at the 2017 parts it looks like RC02 was lifted straight from the 2017 XC60 and must have made it onto later 2016 models to address the brake noise issues with RC01.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions, I hope you didn't waste the amount of time I did on figuring all this out the hard way.

Thanks for all that info. Strange why Volvo would downgrade the brakes on these cars. I'm assuming i have the smaller single piston brakes on my '18 T6, and they are barely adequate for the vehicle. Every time I drive someone else's car I have to adjust to the brakes because they're so much more responsive than the brakes on the XC90.

Awaiting Approval
      I'm trying to do research on this subject and I can't seem to find anything definitive. I have a 2016 XC90 T5 R-Design AWD, and looking to buy front brake pads online. Not sure if I need to purchase RC01 or RC02 variant pads. Is there a definitive way to figure this out?

Might Have Figured it out

Hello All,
      Been doing some research myself for my XC90 and I came to conclusion that the difference between RC01 and RC02 pad is DOT friction rating.
      RC01 pads are rated GG, RC02 pads are rated HH. More than likely same pads in size and shape, but different compounds. This would explain why aftermarket doesn't differentiate. Calipers are the same for all models.

Would appreciate if someone could confirm this.
      You can check your pads and see the friction code without taking wheel off.

Quote Originally Posted by xc60colorado View Post
      Unfortunately RC01/RC02 use different brackets, calipers, rotors, and pads. Just learned this lesson on my XC60 over the weekend, 2016 R-Design Polestar Platinum. None of the parts are compatible, you either have RC02 or RC01. Took me forever to figure this out and figure out which is which. I hope I can save you the headache I ran into.

36002410/36002411 Calipers - RC01
      36012489/36012490 Calipers - RC02

Look at the diagrams on the volvo part stores, easiest way to figure out which you are is rotor width or caliper clip style. RC02 has a very different looking clip, again check those diagrams. If you can tell without taking the wheel off if your calipers are single piston or dual piston that will also tell you. Single piston is RC02.

RC01 - 328mm rotor, dual piston caliper, pads are wider
      RC02 - 324mm rotor, single piston caliper, slightly narrower pads

I realized this when I found a single piston caliper instead of the dual piston I was expecting. Don't trust part sites fitment guides unless they say specifically RC01/RC02 for a part, some sites don't even include the RC02 parts in the search. Parts geek did specify RC01/RC02 but you have to know which version you have for that to be useful.

I looked into replacing the calipers on my RC02 with the RC01 calipers since dual piston and 4mm larger rotor makes me think they would perform better but If you look at the diagrams on the volvo parts store RC01 & RC02 have completely different designs, brakets, everything. If you look at the 2017 parts it looks like RC02 was lifted straight from the 2017 XC60 and must have made it onto later 2016 models to address the brake noise issues with RC01.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions, I hope you didn't waste the amount of time I did on figuring all this out the hard way.
      I don't think this applies to XC90. The calipers part# you provided only fit prior generation XC60, XC90 not SPA. There are no different calipers for SPA XC90.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
      Hello All,
      Been doing some research myself for my XC90 and I came to conclusion that the difference between RC01 and RC02 pad is DOT friction rating.
      RC01 pads are rated GG, RC02 pads are rated HH. More than likely same pads in size and shape, but different compounds. This would explain why aftermarket doesn't differentiate. Calipers are the same for all models.

Would appreciate if someone could confirm this.
      You can check your pads and see the friction code without taking wheel off.
      The pictures at FCP Euro suggest this.

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements