Buying Decision! T5 or T6? Differences revealed! - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
      Of course not. Glad to hear you're not one who thinks they're on the Autobahn.
      Acura doesn’t sell in Germany so it’d be impossible for it to even get on the autobahn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      Acura doesn’t sell in Germany so it’d be impossible for it to even get on the autobahn...

Yeah, but I thought you drive a Volvo not an Acura. Can you get a XC90 on the Autobahn?

Buying Decision! T5 or T6? Differences revealed!

Yeah, but I thought you drive a Volvo not an Acura. Can you get a XC90 on the Autobahn?
      When did I say had drove an Acura?? And Of course you can get an XC90 ontthe Autobahn. All I was saying is the majority of drivers won’t even drive their SUV’s over 90. Especially since most of Volvo’s are sold in the US, Sweden and China. Simple logic...

Last edited by volvoxc9008; 01-30-2019 at 04:35 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Maurauder has underwear that is too tight. LOL.

Haha Actually, living in Germany, I routinely get the Volvo flagship out on the Autobahn. 100mph is typical. I’m surprised how well insulated the car is; the wind and tire noise are well muted, even above 100MPH. So far I’ve had it up to 120mph, and it had power to spare!

- Live like there’s no tomorrow!
      Last edited by Marauder73; 01-30-2019 at 04:31 PM.
      2019 XC90 AWD Momentum T5 / Multimedia Package / Advanced Package / Heated F/R Seats + SW / Polestar Engine Mod (295 lb/ft Torque on T5) / Side Window Curtains / Booster Seat 2nd Row

They're still over here, the MDX is probably the most popular model as well. My 07 topped out at 119 mph IIRC, that was 10 years ago though. Good to see the newer models can at least put those H rated tires to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder73 View Post
      Haha Actually, living in Germany, I routinely get the Volvo flagship out on the Autobahn. 100mph is typical. I’m surprised how well insulated the car is; the wind and tire noise are well muted, even above 100MPH. So far I’ve had it up to 120mph, and it had power to spare!
      The XC90 does not have power to spare at 120 mph, it's good up to the 90 mph range and that's the upper limit of where it cruises pretty effortlessly. Its other issue at higher speeds is slowing down from them, because the brakes definitely don't have the stopping power to spare unless you like replacing your rotors on a monthly basis.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

When did I say had drove an Acura?? And Of course you can get an XC90 ontthe Autobahn. All I was saying is the majority of drivers won’t even drive their SUV’s over 90. Especially since most of Volvo’s are sold in the US, Sweden and China. Simple logic...

Yeah, I know what you said. I just made a comment, that it's good to see that you don't drive like you're on the Autobahn.
      Your comment to that (Acura doesn’t sell in Germany so it’d be impossible for it to even get on the autobahn) seemed to imply that I was talking about actually driving on the Autobahn. Sorry, that's where the confusion came in. Actually if you have the money you could probably drive any car you want on the Autobahn. It's just a matter of getting it there.

My 2016 T6 went from 90 to 120+mph pretty effortlessly. Not that I've done it often, maybe once or twice alone on a very long trip.
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

Yeah, I know what you said. I just made a comment, that it's good to see that you don't drive like you're on the Autobahn.
      Your comment to that (Acura doesn’t sell in Germany so it’d be impossible for it to even get on the autobahn) seemed to imply that I was talking about actually driving on the Autobahn. Sorry, that's where the confusion came in. Actually if you have the money you could probably drive any car you want on the Autobahn. It's just a matter of getting it there.
      Gotcha

I have a T5 sometimes I do wish I had more power of the T6. But who wouldn’t want more power! Also i wanted a SUV that can go 0-60 faster than my RX350 and same speed as my friends Q7 for bragging rights. Though putting those frivolous matters aside, for my needs as a family hauler the T5 is sufficient. It accelerates safely as needed, not fast, not slow. The engine is so silky smooth and quiet. This coming from a Lexus too.

I must say the 12.3inch display is worth it, which someone mentioned as a main difference when comparing the T5 to T6. My dealer did the upgrade for around $500 or $800. I forgot the exact number. Anyways as someone mentioned T5 probably has a lower resale value. This must be true as we got our 2018 T5 for about $7k less than a comparably equipped T6 2018 left over. This is why we chose the T5 over the T6.

While it can change monthly, and talk about price has to include rebates.
      For January (it's the last day I know, but it's the info I have), the T6 has a $1750 purchase rebate over the T5. On a lease the T6 Inscription has a $1k advantage over the T5. That from the $2200 cost brings down to $450.. which would be a no brainer. With the XC60 it's a $1250 rebate... It's not quite across the board, but it's not uncommon at all to see a better rebate on the stronger motor.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalServices View Post
      I have a T5 sometimes I do wish I had more power of the T6. But who wouldn’t want more power! Also i wanted a SUV that can go 0-60 faster than my RX350 and same speed as my friends Q7 for bragging rights. Though putting those frivolous matters aside, for my needs as a family hauler the T5 is sufficient. It accelerates safely as needed, not fast, not slow. The engine is so silky smooth and quiet. This coming from a Lexus too.

I must say the 12.3inch display is worth it, which someone mentioned as a main difference when comparing the T5 to T6. My dealer did the upgrade for around $500 or $800. I forgot the exact number. Anyways as someone mentioned T5 probably has a lower resale value. This must be true as we got our 2018 T5 for about $7k less than a comparably equipped T6 2018 left over. This is why we chose the T5 over the T6.
      For the US Market, the 2019 XC90, which is what this thread was intended to be limited to, the T5 can now also have the 12.3" screen as part of the Multimedia package, blurring the lines even further between the T6 and T5 for the Momentum. When looking at the resale value of a T5 vs T6, it's nearly impossible, with MY18 and older XC90's, to do an apples-to-apples resale value comparison because many of the features now standard/optional on the T5 were previously unavailable. With all other features being equal, with the only difference being the Supercharger of the T6, the difference in resale value will be much less than the original $2200 premium.
      2019 XC90 AWD Momentum T5 / Multimedia Package / Advanced Package / Heated F/R Seats + SW / Polestar Engine Mod (295 lb/ft Torque on T5) / Side Window Curtains / Booster Seat 2nd Row

Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      The XC90 does not have power to spare at 120 mph, it's good up to the 90 mph range and that's the upper limit of where it cruises pretty effortlessly. Its other issue at higher speeds is slowing down from them, because the brakes definitely don't have the stopping power to spare unless you like replacing your rotors on a monthly basis.
      See attached specifications chart for the XC90 (T5 / T6 / T8). Maximum speed of T5 = 215kph (133mph). So yes, there is power to spare above 120mph. Your choice of the word effortlessly is a bit odd/irrelevant, since any car engine expends "effort" to move even 1mph. I routinely drive above 100mph for long stretches on the autobahn, without feeling/sounding like I'm overexerting the engine.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_XC90
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by Marauder73; 01-31-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Of course.
      But the figures in table above seem strange for T5/T6/8.
      Perhaps D5/T5/T6?
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      Of course.
      But the figures in table above seem strange for T5/T6/8.
      Perhaps D5/T5/T6?
      Good catch, yes 2 of those were Diesels. Updated the capture with link to Wiki. Rated speed is 215kph for T5, so power to spare.

With all other features being equal, with the only difference being the Supercharger of the T6, the difference in resale value will be much less than the original $2200 premium.
      The difference in resale value is definitely more than $2200. Please check any car buying site and you'll find that T5 models that are similarly equipped to a T6 model sell for much less...

The difference in resale value is definitely more than $2200. Please check any car buying site and you'll find that T5 models that are similarly equipped to a T6 model sell for much less...
      I have, and was unable to find a fully loaded used MY19 T5. As i said, MY18 and prior they were significantly different in feature availability. A base model T5 will sell for rock bottom, but put all MY19 packages into it and it will retain values similar to the T6. Autotrader lists a total of 34 T5 and T6 XC90’s for sale US-wide, which you cannot draw any conclusions from. Many earlier model T5’s have only 2 rows with minimal options. It’s too early to make a clear determination. Most people shop features, and engine performance is not at the top of most shoppers in Volvo’s target demographic.

I have, and was unable to find a fully loaded used MY19 T5. As i said, MY18 and prior they were significantly different in feature availability. A base model T5 will sell for rock bottom, but put all MY19 packages into it and it will retain values similar to the T6. Autotrader lists a total of 34 T5 and T6 XC90’s for sale US-wide, which you cannot draw any conclusions from. Many earlier model T5’s have only 2 rows with minimal options. It’s too early to make a clear determination. Most people shop features, and engine performance is not at the top of most shoppers in Volvo’s target demographic.

All T5’s prior to MY19 came with the same features available though... Am I missing something?

All T5’s prior to MY19 came with the same features available though... Am I missing something?
      In the US, the SPA xc90 T5 up to some months for the MY2018 comes with 2 rows of seats, with no options to get the 3rd row. That changed some time Q1 2018.

Edit: Nevermind, I think I misread your question.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

Quote Originally Posted by satrya View Post
      In the US, the SPA xc90 T5 up to some months for the MY2018 comes with 2 rows of seats, with no options to get the 3rd row. That changed some time Q1 2018.
      Only 1 feature? Marauder made it seem like there were numerous omissions.

Only 1 feature? Marauder made it seem like there were numerous omissions.
      I was keenly aware of that one feature (as I was looking for a 3row vehicle when I bought my SPA xc90); I didn't imply that number of rows was the only difference. Leather vs leatherette as standard was also the difference going to T6 from T5. My understanding is that's why OP configured some of those options in post #1 to make them as identical as possible.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

See attached specifications chart for the XC90 (T5 / T6 / T8). Maximum speed of T5 = 215kph (133mph). So yes, there is power to spare above 120mph. Your choice of the word effortlessly is a bit odd/irrelevant, since any car engine expends "effort" to move even 1mph. I routinely drive above 100mph for long stretches on the autobahn, without feeling/sounding like I'm overexerting the engine.

It sounds like we have a completely different meanings of what power to spare is. Just because it can eventually hit 215 km/h if you give it a long enough portion of road doesn't mean it has power to spare. If you want to say you had it up to 120 mph and you still could have gone faster, sure. But power to spare means your accelerating hard until you hit the electronic speed limiter, which the XC90 does not do.

As for effortlessly, when the left lane traffic gets out of the way I can pull from 130 km/h to 210 km/h just by dipping the pedal of my X3. That's the kind of power I wish the XC90 had, instead of having to floor it when some slow passer cuts you off and then finally gets out of the way.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

I remember looking at differences between the MY19 T-5 and T-6 when I was doing my OSD order last Summer. Spec sheets weren't very consistent but I believe that I finally determined that the T-6 had Navigation as standard where as the T-5 didn't unless you opted for the Advanced Package which added $2500 or so extra $, so it isn't just the engine.
      2019 T-6 AWD Polestar, Denim Blue/Maroon Brown (OSD Sept 2018)

Visually the biggest difference between these two are the tailpipes. I am a big fan of no-nonsense dual round exhausts sticking from the back instead of the bumper integrated decorations, but on T5 they look disproportionally small relative to XC90's giant butt.
      Poverty-spec 2016 XC90 T8 Momentum
      Zero options, $52K out the door brand new

Are you a last-word kind of guy? The conclusion I drew is that you regret not getting a vehicle with a V6, as you stated previously was something you seemed frustrated with that Volvo didn’t (and never will) produce. The next evolution for Volvo is electric, which they have made very public. Electric motors have insane torque and are already outperforming some of the world’s fastest combustion-engine cars off the line. The age of the combustion engine, especially larger displacement engines, is coming to an end. Why waste time wishing for something that will never come to pass? Again, Volvo is targeting a completely different market than the Bratwurst-loving crowd. Their key mission is to create a car-brand that nobody dies in, not to become the “ultimate driving machine”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I think that lots of discussions here regarding both negatives and positives of Volvos are good. If you don't like reading negatives, just move on. Some of us learn from what others write in terms of both negatives and positives; some reinforce experiences we've already had, and some help us in decisions regarding buying a new car. I also have voiced that no other luxury auto maker selling cars over USD $50k lacks a V6 and/or V8 in their line-up -- only Volvo. It also appears true that Volvo will not develop ICE engines further, with their stated direction of going towards electrification. So, yes, it appears unlikely that anything larger than a 4-cylinder ICE will appear on a future Volvo. They're putting all their eggs in one basket, unlike other luxury auto makers. I am like many here who would probably never buy an Audi or Mercedes or BMW or Jaguar or Land Rover over a Volvo (though I have bought Porsches). I've owned Volvos non-stop since 1985. But that doesn't mean that I don't get frustrated. And some of us hope that Volvo might actually look at serious owner forums like Swedespeed and at least discuss some of the big gripes that their loyal owners bring up in frustration, if not actually consider implementing some suggestions.

And Volvo does seem to be a bit Jekyl and Hyde sometimes in what they project in their vehicles: their cars are projected as being sporty at times. Having cars with over 300 hp (and 400 hp in PHEV and future EV cars) indicates that they know that some of Volvo purchasers DO like their cars to drive in a somewhat sporty manner (even if not like a Porsche). There are plenty of Volvo wagon owners at Swedespeed who've stated that they like to drive fast (some very fast!). So, no, we aren't getting a V6 or V8 in a future Volvo, but we'd like to see Volvo do something more with their heavier vehicles to power them a little better, and if adding PHEV capability to all heavy vehicles (meaning 60- and especially 90-series) is the answer to that, then let's have it. Volvo makes great vehicles; we want them to get better in areas where they fall short. Most of us are fans here, not just tearing down Volvo. We own them. We want to buy more, but Volvo has to earn our business; it's not automatic just due to blind loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalServices View Post

The dual-dial display does look better, but it critically lacks an engine-temperature gauge. The single-dial (8-inch) display has the temperature gauge but has a quirky tachometer arc that appears to the left of the speedometer only in Dynamic drive mode -- crazy. I wish they'd just add a temperature gauge to the 12-inch two-dial display. As is, they both are pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      I think that lots of discussions here regarding both negatives and positives of Volvos are good. If you don't like reading negatives, just move on. Some of us learn from what others write in terms of both negatives and positives; some reinforce experiences we've already had, and some help us in decisions regarding buying a new car. I also have voiced that no other luxury auto maker selling cars over USD $50k lacks a V6 and/or V8 in their line-up -- only Volvo. It also appears true that Volvo will not develop ICE engines further, with their stated direction of going towards electrification. So, yes, it appears unlikely that anything larger than a 4-cylinder ICE will appear on a future Volvo. They're putting all their eggs in one basket, unlike other luxury auto makers. I am like many here who would probably never buy an Audi or Mercedes or BMW or Jaguar or Land Rover over a Volvo (though I have bought Porsches). I've owned Volvos non-stop since 1985. But that doesn't mean that I don't get frustrated. And some of us hope that Volvo might actually look at serious owner forums like Swedespeed and at least discuss some of the big gripes that their loyal owners bring up in frustration, if not actually consider implementing some suggestions.

And Volvo does seem to be a bit Jekyl and Hyde sometimes in what they project in their vehicles: their cars are projected as being sporty at times. Having cars with over 300 hp (and 400 hp in PHEV and future EV cars) indicates that they know that some of Volvo purchasers DO like their cars to drive in a somewhat sporty manner (even if not like a Porsche). There are plenty of Volvo wagon owners at Swedespeed who've stated that they like to drive fast (some very fast!). So, no, we aren't getting a V6 or V8 in a future Volvo, but we'd like to see Volvo do something more with their heavier vehicles to power them a little better, and if adding PHEV capability to all heavy vehicles (meaning 60- and especially 90-series) is the answer to that, then let's have it. Volvo makes great vehicles; we want them to get better in areas where they fall short. Most of us are fans here, not just tearing down Volvo. We own them. We want to buy more, but Volvo has to earn our business; it's not automatic just due to blind loyalty.
      Very well said

T5 Dynamic mode
      Last edited by Rudyjr13; 02-08-2019 at 11:07 AM.

When did I say had drove an Acura?? And Of course you can get an XC90 on the Autobahn. All I was saying is the majority of drivers won’t even drive their SUV’s over 90. Especially since most of Volvo’s are sold in the US, Sweden and China. Simple logic...
      And even on the Autobahn it becomes more and more difficult to drive really fast.
      Not only because of the traffic, but also because more and more speed limits.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2