18 - XC60 T8 0 5th check engine light - this time vehicle un-driveable
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

18 - XC60 T8 -5th check engine light (Now 6th light and a lemon)

Just sharing and venting. I have had continuous problems over the last 4000 miles with check engine lights and limp mode messages on my car. In to the dealer each time. Each time codes cleared, software updated. The troublesome thermostat has been replaced once and I am waiting for it to be replaced a second time. The part is apparently on backorder and maybe was going to come in next week.

Twice along with the check engine light the car has gone into limp mode. The first time it would go in and out but the check engine light would never flash. Dealer told me unless it was red or flashing I could keep driving it. Been driving with the check engine light on for several weeks now waiting on a part (after Volvo sent it home with me that way). Two nights ago experience sudden loss of power, gray smoke out the rear end somewhere, and check engine light flashing. Should probably add that 2 check engine lights ago there was a odd metallic screeching sound and what sounded like something depressurizing in the rear. Volvo could not find anything wrong then. Anyway - they are now telling me the *think* the ERAD has failed but are waiting for Volvo Tech support. All of this has occurred within 4000 miles from first light to now. The car will be a year old on Feb 9th.

I have submitted a lemon law letter to Volvo to try and light a fire under somebody to get things fixed. Love the car but very tired of staring at a check engine light Volvo can't seem to fix.

The dealership told me they have seen a lot of these ERAD failures but I don't know that I have heard anyone here mention that - but I may not have looked hard enough.
      Last edited by giarmdok; 02-22-2019 at 10:24 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey, sorry to hear about your issues and thanks for sharing.

I also got the yellow Check Engine light on my T8 this week after stopping and restarting the engine. It didn’t clear until late next day and I assumed it had something to do with the extreme cold weather.

Currently have around 6200 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never read anywhere that the new model has so much software problems as the XC60.

I am still waiting new software for ECU unit .
      The problem with the ECU software is known for more than a year and is not yet resolved. Allegedly in the testing phase (news from 2 months ago)

Volvo has very bad developers or uses bad hardware.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Are the OBDII readers that you can get from Amazon able to read or even clear these codes?

https://www.amazon.com/TryAce-Diagno...ds=car+scanner

Of course while under warranty it's still best to take it in but what about when the warranty has expired? Would one of these possibly help?

There is ERAD replacement reported here, on XC90 I think. Seems qualify for lemon law now and you can request buyback, and get a 19' T8 with larger gas tank.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by mobsync View Post
      Are the OBDII readers that you can get from Amazon able to read or even clear these codes?

https://www.amazon.com/TryAce-Diagno...ds=car+scanner

Of course while under warranty it's still best to take it in but what about when the warranty has expired? Would one of these possibly help?
      Some models can only read, much more expensive OBDII (X-431 PRO) can not delete all codes, there simply there is no interested for programs of this kind (small user base) , so that developers can write adequate programs for Volvo SPA platform
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      I've never read anywhere that the new model has so much software problems as the XC60.

I am still waiting new software for ECU unit .
      The problem with the ECU software is known for more than a year and is not yet resolved. Allegedly in the testing phase (news from 2 months ago)

Volvo has very bad developers or uses bad hardware.
      I think it’s both bad developers and like everyone else trying to save a $ wherever possible. Ridiculous considering the price tag we had to pay.

At what mileage did you start having issues and what’s your current mileage? So far I had nothing serious but we don’t drive that much.

Quote Originally Posted by cpx974 View Post
      I think it’s both bad developers and like everyone else trying to save a $ wherever possible. Ridiculous considering the price tag we had to pay.

At what mileage did you start having issues and what’s your current mileage? So far I had nothing serious but we don’t drive that much.

I absolutely agree, I never seen so many different problems on the new model
      Now it's only 6,500km. Only I drive Volvo occasionally, I'm waiting for software problems to solve
      As a family we use the Audi Q5
      Here:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ced-perfomance
      Last edited by BigBang; 02-22-2019 at 04:22 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

We have just over 4000 miles on our T8. It's been in twice for a check engine light ... had another appointment scheduled and it went off before the appointment so I cancelled. We have two small kids and the dealer is 30 minutes away, so I'm definitely already sick of taking this thing in. The check engine light has probably been on 75% of the miles driven.

At our last appointment they told us Volvo is aware of the problem, but doesn't have the fix quite ready. They told us our light would likely illuminate soon and not to worry. He said it had something to do with pre-conditioning/remote start and how using either or both of those things has a tendency to trip these codes. That was about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't illuminated again yet. I have prepared a letter to send to Volvo and our local dealer to document the problem--just in case it continues I want the issues to be known in advance to requesting a bigger compensation for our troubles.

Whether it makes sense or not, the whole issue has left me feeling really unsure about our Volvo. We like everything aesthetically about it but just have that lingering feeling that it is going to cause issues continuously.

Good luck to the rest of you also having issues!

So I haven't updated this in a bit as it has been a bit of an adventure. The car went in this 5th time. I was told the thermostat needed to be replaced - again. Also had issues with a fuel injector and O-rings. Of course there were software updates applied. Picked up the car and before I made it home I Was getting limp mode messages (but the car never went into limp mode). Then the next day the check engine light came on. At that point Volvo agreed to treat my vehicle as a lemon and a refund has just been approved. It has now been passed of to a third party. There is a lot more to that story of working with Volvo. Anyway - this latest (6th) check engine light service determined the 40v power line was loose, was arcing/shorting and melting the wire.

Do you mean 400V power line for the hybrid battery? It is unfortunate such thing could happen but they couldn't pin point it quickly.
      Glad they agreed to lemon it.

Check engine light usually indicates a problem with emissions (in a broad sense of the word). I had it come on couple of times in the 8 months we owned our T8. First time I took it in to the dealer but they could not identify a problem after resetting it. The car didn't have any drivability issues, and the light didn't come back for 4-5 months. In late January the light came on again. I took it to another dealer this time and they did a better job diagnosing the issue. It turned out to be a poor seal at the point of fuel tank neck. Just had it replaced with an updated part (dealer had to order from Sweden, took a couple of weeks). Apparently, it is a T8-specific problem.

PS. As I was waiting for the part to arrive, the CEL went away on its own. So it seems to come on and off intermittently, until the underlying cause is eliminated by replacing the part.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Fuel fill neck is not T8 specific. There are some reports in XC90 sub forum for non-T8 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Fuel fill neck is not T8 specific. There are some reports in XC90 sub forum for non-T8 as well.
      I was told that the part is different in T8 from non-hybrids (conceivable since the fuel tank itself is different), but I haven't seen it myself.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

For those who have problems with the check engine light, did you solve your problems? It's been six times that the check engine light up on my 2019 XC60 T8. The fuel fill neck and the thermostat (two times) were replaced and now the dealer is replacing the IGM. I live in Canada and I plan to call CAMVAP ...
      2019 XC60 R-Design T8 with Volvo hitch

Did you call CAMVAP and what's the result?

Hi, at the moment I am on hold because of COVID-19. CAMVAP is on break. I am confident that I will win my case on the recovery. I went to the dealership 9 times for the CEL problem.

I have good service from the dealer but at Volvo Canada level it is poor. For them the vehicle has no problem ...

For my CAMVAP file I kept a copy of all the dealer's invoices and wrote a Word file which included all conversations between me, the dealership and Volvo Canada.
      2019 XC60 R-Design T8 with Volvo hitch

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements