SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

JaredR/ScottishBrick's 1999 Nautic Blue V70 T5 M56 Rescue Project

34K views 268 replies 31 participants last post by  ovlov67 
#1 ·
So, as some of you may know, Will and I went to PA last summer with our friend Josh to help him pick up this 1999 V70 T5m. He also has a 2000 C70 T5m (that's in a bit better shape) and his plan was to fix up the V70 and eventually sell the C70, but various factors resulted in him deciding he would be better off to keep the C70 and add a truck to his fleet instead. When Will and I heard about this, we decided it made more sense for the two of us to buy it rather than see it hit the open market.

Stopped in New Jersey to do a sticker delete

Before having a fun ride back up to CT

This is also a "base" T5 so no sunroof and the vinyl/cloth power seats. They were trashed

so Josh swapped those out for base manual seats. Problem was it turned out the manual seats weren't actually any lighter than the power seats (wtf) so he decided that wasn't worth it and got R seats for it. I don't have a picture of that part.

Then it got Comets wrapped in zLine AS.

Then it started getting cold so it got Canopus wrapped in WRG4.

Then, last month, Josh and I decided it was time to get the C70 off of jackstands, so I helped him put the rear suspension back together. He decided that car was awesome and that he should keep it instead of the V70. So now here we are. As of right now, the goal is to start the restoration in Q3 2019, after we have some of our ongoing projects off the books.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well it currently has no headliner lol. Other than that just needs the typical P80 rattles dealt with and better dash trim as I recall.

#5 ·
It will be getting some upgrades and proper parts:

E codes and corners (ugh ABMs)
99+ eggcrate
Mint front bumper skin (thanks agravadr)
Headliner (already located just need to harvest)
Sc901 and Dolby dash/grom
Short shifter, better steering wheel and shift knob

SMF and 850R clutch
21mm rear sway bar

Meanwhile it'll spend winter vacation at casa de Hounddogger

#8 · (Edited)
This wagon first came up for sale April 2nd 2018, before my pewter 99 was rebuilt and i had considered grabbing it at that point:

The obx exhaust and ratty interior as well as the "we replaced the clutch but not the flywheel" turned me away.

Late May Josh found it, the idea was tossed around for a while and ultimately the go ahead was given that it would need a clutch/flywheel eventually but was certainly driveable.

June 2nd it came home to Mass with Josh.

February 2nd it was adopted into the JaredR/ScottishBrick fleet.

Sooooo maybe by June 2nd it'll live again??

#9 ·
Nice work saving this T5m. I don't think it would have survived otherwise.
The Nautic looks great with those Comets.

#12 ·
#10 ·
I do love me some Nautic! If you'll recall that was the very first color I was seeking; until I found out there was only like 8 of the VR's brought to the US like that. (I guess, I can think about eventually importing one from Europe at some point.) I see Jared has it listed with his current vehicles, but it's owned by both of you? How does that work? Adding the vented rears too?

#13 ·
I peeped the new addition to Jared's stable too, that absolutely stumped me. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a '99 T5m to be listed for sale for a long while now. Makes sense if it's been hidden away all these months. One of the cars on my list that I'd actually buy next. It's no 601 but nautic is on my list of favorite Volvo colors as well ;) I'll be closely following this thread, I'm trying to make moves into T5 land in the foreseeable future and will be taking notes accordingly.

#28 ·
That's the wiperless one, right?

#43 ·
Haha sounds good. As long as I have (an) assistant(s) to mix paint/clean the spray gun/etc so the process can stay moving I don't care how many colors we do :)

#48 ·
So, time to get some progress planned.

E codes & Euro Corners to replace the ABMs. Anyone want a mint set that will be modified for actually good output?

99+ Eggcrate

Mudflaps

Headliner

R wheel

Mechanical:

850 R Clutch & Pressure plate, SMF reversion and probably a Quaife LSD.

#58 ·
Quaife QDF12J Limited slip differential and 850 R clutch/pressure plate are on their way.

Now I gotta go clear out the jam packed interior of this wagon and do a headliner.

#68 ·
#71 ·
Took a worthy potential new owner to look at and test drive the wagon today.

Fired right up!

We cleaned the car out and did a clandestine test drive on some very quiet back roads and it looks like it's going to a worth home. Friend of ours who's had many volvos but this will be his first T5M and a me7 one at that! He's owned more cars than nautic t5m wagons like this were imported (19 t5ms)

Plans for it?

Plaid headliner and a cat back and slowly work on the cosmetics since it's solid mechanically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.