Funny knock sound
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Funny knock sound

Hey guys Iíve had this funny knock sound come from the right hand side, Iíve my S40 be 3 years not & cant seem to pin point where itís coming from. Iíve changed the engine mounts, right hand side top shock mount & bearing, inner tie rod & outter track rod end both side wheel bearings.

In my job yesterday the mechanic changed the inner tie rod end which he noticed from before & said it was wore & I taught was the culprit. But it knocks when I slow down & change gears from 3rd to 2nd or setting off from 1st to 2nd I can hear it. Also gonna need to change the boot on the steering rack as it was cable tied on from someone before & wont last long as the cable tie has ripped on the tie rod.

As he took the boot off to change the tie rod he noticed the rack is leaking slowly which Iíve noticed but taught nothing of. Would the steering rack be the culprit of the knock or would it be the anti roll bar bushings on the subframe that could be causing it.

Gonna look into a reconditioned steering rack & see how much & pay my job to change it or an independent mechanic that I can trust to do the job.

Greatly appreciated for any help with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had a knock that emanated from the front but only when I was backing up and turning. as the car had recently been worked on I assumed it was something new. noooo, the wrench who worked on the car didnt look past the bolt he was working on. turned out the bolt holding the sway bar had loosened in that corner, tightening the bolt solved the problem.i also had a Koni shock go bad and make funny noises when turning. how old are the front struts, worn LCA? just my $0.02.
      1994 850 wagon 5spd N/A
      2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd

Under what circumstances do you get the knock?

My S40 developed a knocking sound under heavy throttle. I thought it was an engine knock but later decided it was a suspension or drivetrain noise.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I'd say get someone to jack up that side of the car and check the suspension bushings. I don't see how anything in the steering system could ever cause a clunk. Bad steering components usually cause very sloppy steering input. But not clunking. You don't say what your trans is but by your description I'm guessing a manual. My 05 s40 m66 has a obvious clunk coming from about the middle back of the engine bay. I'm not sure if it's the dual mass flywheel failing or the AWD system being worn out and having a lot of slop in the the angle dear/driveshaft.

Funny knock sound

My S40 is a 2007 2.0l diesel M66 gearbox. I hear the clunk/knock when under acceleration & when I change from 1st to 2nd & not after that & when Iím slowing down from 3rd to 2nd & 2nd to 1st. I donít hear it when going through the gears to 6th. Wishbones/LCA look to have been changed by the previous owner. I donít think the shocks have ever been changed. I did lower the car last year but on the stock springs the knock was there so I can rule that out. The car has 120k miles on it, I think mostly city driving. The car is right hand drive, I said I said the steering rack has a weep on it at the inner tie rod boot & weeping onto the subframe, itís been there since I bought it.

The car was in an accident on the right hand side when it spun a police car to get away. Any problem I have seems to be from the cause of that accident.

Did get a price of a reconditioned power steering rack at Ä200-Ä250 just to find a decent mechanic.

Your clunk seems to be very similar to my clunk. Mine is way more obvious in the 1st couple gear shifts. As far as I know, I've never noticed them in the highest gears.
      I'm still fairly certain that it's a driveline issue. Not steering. Are you turning when you are shifting in these lower gears? If you are going straight (mostly) from a light, but it's happening when u shift gears, it's in the drivetrain. My clunk is most obvious in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowayout1 View Post
      My S40 is a 2007 2.0l diesel M66 gearbox. I hear the clunk/knock when under acceleration & when I change from 1st to 2nd & not after that & when Iím slowing down from 3rd to 2nd & 2nd to 1st. I donít hear it when going through the gears to 6th. Wishbones/LCA look to have been changed by the previous owner. I donít think the shocks have ever been changed. I did lower the car last year but on the stock springs the knock was there so I can rule that out. The car has 120k miles on it, I think mostly city driving. The car is right hand drive, I said I said the steering rack has a weep on it at the inner tie rod boot & weeping onto the subframe, itís been there since I bought it.

The car was in an accident on the right hand side when it spun a police car to get away. Any problem I have seems to be from the cause of that accident.

Did get a price of a reconditioned power steering rack at Ä200-Ä250 just to find a decent mechanic.

How old is the transmission mount?
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

Replaced all the engine mounts last spring

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements