Sensus experience
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Sensus experience

I see a lot people have responded to this thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-North-America.

Looks like a great mix of ages.

So my question is how do you like the Sensus interface? CR has consistently knocked it saying it is too complicated and requires too much attention to operate.

Do you find Sensus overly complicated or have you gotten used to it?
      Her HHI car - 2010 C70 T5 Ice White w/ off-black interior
      His - 2015.5 XC60 Bright Silver, T6 Platinum w/ off-black interior now with Polestar!
      Hers - 2017 XC60 Magic Blue w/ blond interior, T5 Dynamic
      For Fun - 1992 NA 300ZX lightly modified

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by russ399 View Post
      I see a lot people have responded to this thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-North-America.

Looks like a great mix of ages.

So my question is how do you like the Sensus interface? CR has consistently knocked it saying it is too complicated and requires too much attention to operate.

Do you find Sensus overly complicated or have you gotten used to it?
      I can never imagine how to have those options and apps in a small non-touchable screen UI. And Sensus looks very stylish.
      It is one of the most important reason I like these new Volvo cars.
      I learned to not mess it up quickly at boot time, and don't operate it when watching the busy road. There is always safer time at traffic light or safer situation.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 234+k miles

The interface is straightforward in my eyes. Really only three pages total: main, “buttons,” and apps. I hate apps on all platforms. Liquidy smooth once it’s fired up. Just like a modern phone. Sensus’ slow start kills me only because i have to wait to disable start/stop.

As far as complication to use I dont really need to mess with it too often. Auto climate does its thing and my music streams. Only music volume and track skip are used daily and they are physcial controls in two spots. I dislike the trackpad control other manifacturers are migrating to.

I will admit the all-touch interface makes some tasks require looking at the screen. I cant drop the temp one degree with a no-look motion nor can i flip off the heated seat while moving. Not a big deal to me since i’m not a fiddler.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Much less of an issue than I thought it would be (I'm not a tecki freek). The only thing I really fiddle with while driving is the Nav. Radio and Climate I do by voice command and have had zero issues doing so, even with my vocal chord damage. Certainly makes for a clean looking dash.

I find Sensus fairly straightforward to use. Most settings were made when I took delivery of the car. Other than Nav (which is a pain on most cars I have driven), I rarely have a need to move the display from the main center screen or otherwise touch the screen (except when I want heated seats and steering).

As far as boot up time goes, by the time I close the door, set the car to Eco and have buckled my seatbelt, the system has usually finished its boot cycle.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Hm.. Well I've really enjoyed mine. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
      2018 V90 T5 R-Design - Passion Red
      2018 V90 T5 R-Design - Onyx Black

Prefer it over the menu driven systems, I find it simple and intuitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

It's sort of like the fancy six-way power driver's seat in our V90 T6. Since my wife and I are roughly the same size and like the same seating position, the controls haven't been touched in the last 15,000 miles. I rarely mess with Sensus because I don't need to. It's a car, it drives, good to go.

I like it in general save a few niggles. Would like the screen list of stations to move when using the wheel selection button. Right now you move right off the screen and can’t see what you’ve selected. Would also prefer a knob for resizing maps as VW does. Pinch zoom sucks while driving. Some menu buttons need to be bigger with clear touch zones. Otherwise, it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish you could configure the tiles. Is there really a need for each tile to tell me that phone, media, nav are “via Apple CarPlay”? Then again, what would you assign to each tile if you could?
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvo’s: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      I like it in general save a few niggles. Would like the screen list of stations to move when using the wheel selection button. Right now you move right off the screen and can’t see what you’ve selected. Would also prefer a knob for resizing maps as VW does. Pinch zoom sucks while driving. Some menu buttons need to be bigger with clear touch zones. Otherwise, it’s fine.

This is a very good example of poor design (and/or shoddy QA).

Quote Originally Posted by LowlyOilBurner View Post
      I wish you could configure the tiles. Is there really a need for each tile to tell me that phone, media, nav are “via Apple CarPlay”? Then again, what would you assign to each tile if you could?
      I agree - when CarPlay is active, the other 3 items should take up much less space than they do, whether I want to reassign them or not (which I might).

I really like the way Sensus looks and for the most part the way it functions.

It's very premium looking.

A bit slow at startup sometimes, but generally fully usable within 1-2 minutes of starting the car.

The 4-tile system on the main screen leaves a little to be desired. CarPlay and Android Auto should really replace the Phone tile and leave the bottom tile available for other apps, for instance.

I wish I could hide SXM since I'm not subscribed.

I'm sure the next iteration (powered by Android) will improve on its minor shortcomings' considerably.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

I love Volvos but I hate Sensus. I can't wait until Volvo puts Google Maps (and Android OS?) into the computer for 2020, and I'm waiting to buy my next Volvo when that comes out, not before. Car manufacturers should stop trying to re-invent the wheel regarding navigation and let the big computer giants do it for them.

My wish list for Volvo main computer screen:
      (1) Google maps with Google traffic flows (coming). Yeah, you can kinda do this with Apple Carplay, but it is really a very degraded form of what you actually get on your iPhone.
      (2) Put the computer to sleep -- not turn off -- when the car ignition is turned off. This way the computer screen would come up immediately (or with a 1- or 2-second delay) instead of having to boot up from scratch. This would take very little battery juice. Build in a time limit so that the battery is not drained, in which the computer would be turned off after a certain amount of time -- like perhaps a couple days.
      (3) Move all climate controls back to buttons, and out of the computer screen. Many manufacturers do this still in 2019 -- both the lowest end of the car industry in terms of cost and the highest end (Rolls Royce has buttons/knobs still for climate control, as does Porsche).
      (4) Allow permanent OFF to be chosen for auto-start/stop in the computer screen; short of that, you need a physical button, preferably on the steering wheel.
      (5) Move the drive-mode button from the center console by cupholders to the steering wheel (this is in the computer screen also, but not really useful there when driving).
      (6) As somebody wrote above, add in a physical dial like in other brand cars for zooming in and out quickly in the map -- great feature when driving, to keep driver less distracted.
      (7) Completely re-design the layout of the home page to make it more practical, especially for the driver to lessen distractions. Too many steps to get to some things. Let the owner easily design their own configuration of the home page, as other infotainment screens allow in other brands.
      Last edited by cometguy; 02-13-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      I love Volvos but I hate Sensus. My wish list for Volvo main computer screen:
      (1) Google maps with Google traffic flows (coming). Yeah, you can kinda do this with Apple Carplay, but it is really a very degraded form of what you actually get on your iPhone.
      You mean Google maps as a replacement to Sensus nav? I assume that is it since you already have Google Maps and/or Apple Maps (getting better every month) and/or Waze via Apple Car Play. My main complaint is with ALL THAT SCREEN SPACE, why limit Apple Carplay to such a tiny tile space? Surely it could have been enlarged a little bit. I have an 8" screen in my 2016 GMC Canyon truck, and Apple Carplay looks 10x better on that screen than on the S90.

Sensus experience

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      I love Volvos but I hate Sensus. I can't wait until Volvo puts Google Maps (and Android OS?) into the computer for 2020, and I'm waiting to buy my next Volvo when that comes out, not before. Car manufacturers should stop trying to re-invent the wheel regarding navigation and let the big computer giants do it for them.

My wish list for Volvo main computer screen:

I use Waze all the time via Apple Car Play and it’s fine, IMO.

(2) Put the computer to sleep -- not turn off -- when the car ignition is turned off. This way the computer screen would come up immediately (or with a 1- or 2-second delay) instead of having to boot up from scratch. This would take very little battery juice. Build in a time limit so that the battery is not drained, in which the computer would be turned off after a certain amount of time -- like perhaps a couple days.

I believe that is the way it works. My display is very quick after the first start of the day. And even first thing in the morning the backup camera is almost instantaneous

(3) Move all climate controls back to buttons, and out of the computer screen. Many manufacturers do this still in 2019 -- both the lowest end of the car industry in terms of cost and the highest end (Rolls Royce has buttons/knobs still for climate control, as does Porsche).
      (4) Allow permanent OFF to be chosen for auto-start/stop in the computer screen; short of that, you need a physical button, preferably on the steering wheel.

We have a physical button for that, it’s called individual drive mode

(5) Move the drive-mode button from the center console by cupholders to the steering wheel (this is in the computer screen also, but not really useful there when driving).
      (6) As somebody wrote above, add in a physical dial like in other brand cars for zooming in and out quickly in the map -- great feature when driving, to keep driver less distracted.
      (7) Completely re-design the layout of the home page to make it more practical, especially for the driver to lessen distractions. Too many steps to get to some things. Let the owner easily design their own configuration of the home page, as other infotainment screens allow in other brands.

Totally agree. The nav map is wasted space for me while I use CarPlay.
      Some replies in your box above....Jmo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

Quote Originally Posted by RandyNC View Post
      You mean Google maps as a replacement to Sensus nav? I assume that is it since you already have Google Maps and/or Apple Maps (getting better every month) and/or Waze via Apple Car Play. My main complaint is with ALL THAT SCREEN SPACE, why limit Apple Carplay to such a tiny tile space? Surely it could have been enlarged a little bit. I have an 8" screen in my 2016 GMC Canyon truck, and Apple Carplay looks 10x better on that screen than on the S90.
      There have been numerous news stories about the change in the past year, such as:

https://jalopnik.com/praise-high-for...vos-1825854430

I love Sensus, I find it super intuitive, easy and fast

I find Sensus easy to learn and operate. Once it completes its slow-wake up routine it is responsive.

I agree with several comments above, radio stations and USB songs should scroll up or down in the center display when you move them with the steering wheel controls. Android Auto should be able to be seen full screen. We should have the option of choosing which 4 tiles we want in the center display.

Most annoyingly, to me, is the fact that it is very good at showing your finger prints ALL OVER the screen, I have read that screen protectors aren't any better...so, to that effect I bought finger sleeves, they work great! I keep 4 around the car in case one gets lost by my child or eaten by my dog.
      download.jpg
      Last edited by pocholin; 02-20-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Fixed attached file
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

All these comments have reminded me how much I like Sensus vs my wife’s Audi MMI. Ohmigod does that system suck. Even the worst faults of sensus don’t come close to being as bad as Audi’s pathetic knob driven pos. We’re quite lucky to have something that pretty much functions the way it should minus a few quibbles.

Quote Originally Posted by LowlyOilBurner View Post
      CarPlay and Android Auto should have the option to expand, just like the native nav tile does. It is ridiculous to have 3 tiles all saying, in effect, 'this tile is useless right now, look at that bottom tile".

Quote Originally Posted by dbetterton View Post
      CarPlay and Android Auto should have the option to expand, just like the native nav tile does. It is ridiculous to have 3 tiles all saying, in effect, 'this tile is useless right now, look at that bottom tile".
      +1
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

sensus is fine- nav and voice commands very poor
      2018 XC60 T6, Pine Grey/Blonde, every option,loaded.
      2014 Audi A6 TDI Quattro - gone-after dieselgate, wouldnt touch any of their products.
      2006 BMW Z4 3.0i-still have
      2007 Lexus rx -best seats ever
      1973 bmw 2002tii- Should have kept it

Neither my wife nor I use Sensus all that much. We just drive the car like it's a car. Adjusting seat and steering-wheel heat (never used the butt fan), the occasional use of the nav function (we almost always know where we're going), tuning the radio, we have zero apps on the platform. So it works just fine for us. Sort of like our all-singing-all-dancing six-way power seats: since my wife and I are the same size and like the same seating position, we adjusted the driver's seat once when we bought the car and haven't touched it since. I've used the voice commands maybe a half a dozen times in 12,000 miles ("Play John Prine." "Playing Ron's Fine, choose from list." "I'm driving, not looking at a list.") so they're of no more concern to me than is Sensus.

The V90 is a great car, emphasis on "car." It may also be an excellent computer platform, but that's not why I bought it.

Yeah, I know. "Get offa my lawn..."

Probably one of the simplest interfaces I've used. Give it a couple of hours and most of us will understand most of it. The GUI is really intuitive and logical as compared to various other infotainment systems which require a Doctorate in Rocket Science to master them.

The processor speed sucks though!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Neither my wife nor I use Sensus all that much. We just drive the car like it's a car. Adjusting seat and steering-wheel heat (never used the butt fan), the occasional use of the nav function (we almost always know where we're going), tuning the radio, we have zero apps on the platform. So it works just fine for us. Sort of like our all-singing-all-dancing six-way power seats: since my wife and I are the same size and like the same seating position, we adjusted the driver's seat once when we bought the car and haven't touched it since. I've used the voice commands maybe a half a dozen times in 12,000 miles ("Play John Prine." "Playing Ron's Fine, choose from list." "I'm driving, not looking at a list.") so they're of no more concern to me than is Sensus.

The V90 is a great car, emphasis on "car." It may also be an excellent computer platform, but that's not why I bought it.

Yeah, I know. "Get offa my lawn..."
      I'm almost totally with you on this, in that it's a great car outside of (despite) Sensus. My problem is that I change the climate control often (especially the fan speed, but also often the temperature), and I like to flip between different radio stations or music -- and Sensus is bad on both counts for the driver while driving. I never use navigation directions but I use Google Maps every time I get into a car to check traffic -- and quite often when I need to map out a route that I'm unfamiliar with; for this, I use my iPhone because no car screens are (yet) anywhere near what Google Maps can do on a laptop, desktop, or iPhone -- sadly. (Apple CarPlay is very inferior in what it projects onto a car screen, vs. what is on your iPhone.) I can't wait until Volvo gets Google Maps standard in their computer screen, supposedly next year. And I pray that they will bring back climate knobs and buttons to make it easier to change temperature/fan while driving, when you don't want to be fussing with the computer screen (and, no, the voice control system simply is not a good replacement for knobs and buttons; I find Volvo's voice control to be pathetic, as in all other brands' cars also).

Sensus is OK. Easy to figure out. Navigation still blows in that I can take a destination to my last 3 phones over 6 years and this I still have to enter, slow, letters and numbers.
      As others have said, if you're not using nav, you should be able to close that tile, etc.
      Off the Sensus, I wish the drive settings roller/select could be set for a default.

My only gripe is the delay to the rear camera. It's just useless in my car. This is my morning routine. Or, well, was, when i was using my Volvo. I put into reverse, pull out of the garage, close the garage, turn onto the driveway, stop at the stopsign, turn left, proceed for a mile, stop at the next sign, turn right, then the camera comes on. While I am doing 65 and moving, well, forward. Useless crap. Otherwise, no problems with Sensus.

Ok, I lied. I have another gripe. My nav must be drunk. Doesn't know where I am, doesn't understand where I am going, and has no clue how to get there.
      Last edited by VxF; 02-21-2019 at 07:03 PM.

delay to the rear camera.
      Mine comes in immediately, like as soon as I put the car in the Racing gear, I mean Reverse. Of course as I said we have zero apps on the Sensus computer.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Mine comes in immediately, like as soon as I put the car in the Racing gear, I mean Reverse. Of course as I said we have zero apps on the Sensus computer.
      Mine comes on pretty quickly too.
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 Polestar'd Onyx Black Metallic/Blonde - Daily driver

The Sensus screen would still appear to be booting up but once I place the selector in reverse, the rear camera comes on immediately.

My camera comes on as soon as I put my S90 in reverse, which is usually about 15 seconds after starting the car.

I like more about Sensus than I don't like about it. Changing channels in my radio's favorite list is always a dodgy affair, for example.

@cometguy - I use Waze with Carplay (iPhone 6s) and it works fine for me. Google maps is cool looking with satellite images on, but I'm not staring at it while driving anyway. By the way, it's Apple and their Carplay app that allow what we see on Sensus, not Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD1 View Post
      The Sensus screen would still appear to be booting up but once I place the selector in reverse, the rear camera comes on immediately.
      Same here. And the Cross Traffic system seems to start functioning before it lights up as well (though I wouldn't count on it).
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

The reverse camera seems to come on right away if you put the car in reverse right after starting. If you sit and wait for the whole thing to boot up, it seems to take longer. I slap it into reverse as soon as I start and up pops the picture. No complaints.

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements