Anybody try putting a decat downpipe on a 2.0L Polestar yet
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anybody try putting a decat downpipe on a 2.0L Polestar yet

Ive heard of people doing it on the older 3.0L model but what about the 2.0L ? What are the performance gains like ? and are there any complications ?

I had a small look under my car and its already quite a large diameter pipe, already looks like an after-market 304 stainless system (ive been told its actually made by Ferrita Exhausts). I could not get a good look at the downpipe since its all covered up but its definitely a catted system since its still factory. Reading the specs says its a "3 inch down pipe with a high flow cat".

So the question is...is it worth changing it out ? Obviously im only interested in performance since the 2.0L isnt really an exotic sounding car.
      Concerns would be check engine lights (of course id use cat foolers / mini cats) since nobody i know has any knowledge of changing a DP on a drive-e engine.
      Currently my suspicion is that there isn't that much potential since it seems Polestar already put a lot of thought into this system, however theres still a cat in there and usually as they get older they flow worse due to to carbon buildup. Another factor may be that the engine might not scale back the power as much since the cat fooler will always be reporting favorable values....though i have seen cat foolers cause issues in non remapped cars where they cause the engine to run lean.

Its quite a highly stressed engine so im not sure if changing it is as safe as it would be in other cars ive had (such as the 2.5L T5s).
      Last edited by NinjaT5; 02-13-2019 at 03:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

In for the comments, I'd be interested to find out if there are any tuning options for the 2.0.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

It's already equipped with a 3" free flow exhaust already - I don't know how much more gains you'll get by running catless.

If anything you should note that the transmission is already operating close to its maximum torque limit (480 Nm).

Personally, I'm not doing any modding on mine - Polestar did it for me already with a warranty to boot. =D
      2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
      2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
      Previous:
      2008 E63 AMG wagon
      2002 Audi S6 Avant
      2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
      1994 Acura Integra RS

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Only mods i've read about for the 2.0 is the Armaspeed air filter and Heico tuning.
      Both super expensive.
      If you want more noise (that's what a DP will do on this car) you should have gotten the 3.0
      I almost bought a DP for my 3.0 but didn't after all because there simply aren't enough reviews that convinced me.
      Check out my ride on Instagram -> www.instagram.com/volvov60polestar

Quote Originally Posted by mightar View Post
      If anything you should note that the transmission is already operating close to its maximum torque limit (480 Nm).
      Thats not much of a concern, the AW-55 in the old T5 cars was officially rated for much less and guys went all the way to 500nm+ on those.

Putting a decat downpipe is likely to not ad more than +10nm based on other cars ive seen decats on. Nothing that would bother the gearbox.

Bigger issues are causing the engine to run leaner or hotter, or maybe breaking the active exhaust setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie1981 View Post
      Only mods i've read about for the 2.0 is the Armaspeed air filter and Heico tuning.
      Both super expensive.
      If you want more noise (that's what a DP will do on this car) you should have gotten the 3.0
      I almost bought a DP for my 3.0 but didn't after all because there simply aren't enough reviews that convinced me.
      Erm..dude, did you even read what i said ? Literally, you're replying to nothing i said.

Im not asking about tunes or an airbox, im talking about a decat downpipe and I clearly said i dont care about the sound, i want to see if running a decat system improved performance at all over the stock high flow cat.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaT5 View Post
      Erm..dude, did you even read what i said ? Literally, you're replying to nothing i said.

Im not asking about tunes or an airbox, im talking about a decat downpipe and I clearly said i dont care about the sound, i want to see if running a decat system improved performance at all over the stock high flow cat.
      Your question is "is it worth changing it out?"
      Your first question should be "is there an alternative available on the market?"
      Since this is not (yet) the case, I gave my response about other options that are available.
      You could have also googled it.
      Simple answer is: No you can not make your 2.0 faster with a non-existant downpipe.

"its already quite a large diameter pipe, already looks like an after-market 304 stainless system (ive been told its actually made by Ferrita Exhausts)."
      The Polestar exhaust is from Ferrita, not the downpipe.
      Aftermarket downpipe is offered by Ferrita or IPD.
      But not for the 2.0

Your question is "is it worth changing it out?"
      Your first question should be "is there an alternative available on the market?"
      Since this is not (yet) the case, I gave my response about other options that are available.
      You could have also googled it.
      Simple answer is: No you can not make your 2.0 faster with a non-existant downpipe.
      Clearly, all you seem to want to do is be a smartass and add nothing useful. If you have nothing helpful to say then don't reply.

"Your first question should be "is there an alternative available on the market?" - No, because thats not what im asking, i can have a custom one built as I have had for all my previous cars. Im trying to find out if anybody has done it on their car or thought about it and done some research.

"You could have also googled it. " Okay...then show me info about 2.0L Drive-E polestar cars having decat downpipes fitted to them ? Oh what, you didnt find any info after googling ? What a surprise...maybe next time think before you talk, of course ive done searching, i didnt find much hence im asking here. Clearly you dont have the car or have done the research so why are you wasting my time ?

"Simple answer is: No you can not make your 2.0 faster with a non-existant downpipe." HAVE YOU HEARD OF CUSTOM BUILT EXHAUSTS ?

Jeez, i thought this was a forum for owners not youtube comment section "experts".

Ok.

On topic: I've been reading about Polestar and their cars for several years now (+ I own a 2015 V60 Polestar since almost 3 years).
      Fair to say that I'm quite educated about these cars and possible mods.
      I've never heard or read anything about anyone replacing the 2.0 downpipe. Not even a custom built one.
      Hope that is a correct answer for you.
      If you're on Facebook you should join the group Polestar Owners, almost 500 owners worldwide, including some from SA.
      Everything on these cars can be asked and discussed there, with their owners. People who talk about these cars a lot and who know things from personal experience.
      You can always ask me, the smartass :-)
      No offense taken though. Have a nice day broeder.

Ok.

On topic: I've been reading about Polestar and their cars for several years now (+ I own a 2015 V60 Polestar since almost 3 years).
      Fair to say that I'm quite educated about these cars and possible mods.
      I've never heard or read anything about anyone replacing the 2.0 downpipe. Not even a custom built one.
      Hope that is a correct answer for you.
      If you're on Facebook you should join the group Polestar Owners, almost 500 owners worldwide, including some from SA.
      Everything on these cars can be asked and discussed there, with their owners. People who talk about these cars a lot and who know things from personal experience.
      You can always ask me, the smartass :-)
      No offense taken though. Have a nice day broeder.
      Okay dude, I can see now you were not deliberately trying to troll me.

I will check out that Facebook page, thanks. Im quite interested in reading about the supercharger issues you mentioned in another thread. My supercharger acts kinda iffy sometimes, i wonder if its not developing issues, i have booked it in to get checked in the dealership diagnostics.

As far as the downpipe goes, i found one Youtube video (didnt save the link) about somebody in India i think it was who fitted a custom catless downpipe to an S60 Polestar 2.0L. But other than showing it start up no other info was given.

Also the info about the exhaust being made by Ferrita but not the downpipe was actually quite useful so thanks for that . It helps know that if i change the DP in future at least i wouldnt have removed a Ferrita part. It would really bother me to remove a Swedish made performance downpipe with a random SA made downpipe (even if its good quality), but since its not ill have no guilt about swapping it out. Ill keep the stock one of course though.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaT5 View Post
      Okay dude, I can see now you were not deliberately trying to troll me.

I will check out that Facebook page, thanks. Im quite interested in reading about the supercharger issues you mentioned in another thread. My supercharger acts kinda iffy sometimes, i wonder if its not developing issues, i have booked it in to get checked in the dealership diagnostics.

As far as the downpipe goes, i found one Youtube video (didnt save the link) about somebody in India i think it was who fitted a custom catless downpipe to an S60 Polestar 2.0L. But other than showing it start up no other info was given.

Also the info about the exhaust being made by Ferrita but not the downpipe was actually quite useful so thanks for that . It helps know that if i change the DP in future at least i wouldnt have removed a Ferrita part. It would really bother me to remove a Swedish made performance downpipe with a random SA made downpipe (even if its good quality), but since its not ill have no guilt about swapping it out. Ill keep the stock one of course though.
      New cat's are pretty efficient already. For comparison, on my buddies RS we changed the stock cat to a catless system and showed no gains in power with just a swap and then with a retune still no power gains. The reason for swapping the cat was all the pops and bangs were constantly making his oem cat fail. I do not see the need to change the cat or modify it since it appears to not have any restrictions. However the muffler system could be redone to reduce restrictions if you are looking for more power exhaust wise.

Hello everybody!
      I haven't beed on Swedespeed forums for some time, because we have been very busy in JKRacing.pl
      We decided to focus on developing new parts for newest Volvos.
      Since we have software upgrades (remaps) for most of new Volvos with Denso ECU (until 2018), we are now working on some other parts.
      We have actually made better downpipe for 2.0 Drive-E petrol engines (including Polestar) with sport cat about year ago (04.2018). We have tested it in T5 and T6 where it gives around 20PS and 30Nm gain without any tune. All measured on our dyno.
      We had never the chance to test it on Polestar 2.0 because no owner of such car decided to come and test it. We offered it to every Polestar owner who asked us about upgrade, but no one wants to be "the first"!
      The T6 downpipes according to VIDA is the same as Polestar, so I think Polestar should also gain some power and torque.
      Last week we have also made cat-less version of this downpipe for testing, but no tests were were made yet.
      Below are the pictures of our downpipe equipped with sports catalisator and test cat-less downpipe on my desk:
      Volvo-VEA-petrol-downpipe.jpeg
      VEA-catless-DP-small.jpg

Wow ! thats truely beautiful work.

Id be interested in trying it but the shipping might be a bit too much.

Thank You!
      Yes, shipping to South Africa is US $ 247,- with TNT.
      It is almost 2x the price of shipping to USA!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek-JKR View Post
      Hello everybody!
      I haven't beed on Swedespeed forums for some time, because we have been very busy in JKRacing.pl
      We decided to focus on developing new parts for newest Volvos.
      Since we have software upgrades (remaps) for most of new Volvos with Denso ECU (until 2018), we are now working on some other parts.
      We have actually made better downpipe for 2.0 Drive-E petrol engines (including Polestar) with sport cat about year ago (04.2018). We have tested it in T5 and T6 where it gives around 20PS and 30Nm gain without any tune. All measured on our dyno.
      We had never the chance to test it on Polestar 2.0 because no owner of such car decided to come and test it. We offered it to every Polestar owner who asked us about upgrade, but no one wants to be "the first"!
      The T6 downpipes according to VIDA is the same as Polestar, so I think Polestar should also gain some power and torque.
      Last week we have also made cat-less version of this downpipe for testing, but no tests were were made yet.
      Below are the pictures of our downpipe equipped with sports catalisator and test cat-less downpipe on my desk:
      Volvo-VEA-petrol-downpipe.jpeg
      VEA-catless-DP-small.jpg
      If you want someone to test it, I am willing to give it a try. I make Youtube video's and have been showing my upgrades on the Polestar platform. Send my a DM if you like and we can work something out.

@Jarek-JKR does the sound change much with these downpipes ?

Very very interested in catless version! As long as there is a cel fix so no check engine light! Just sent u a dm

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek-JKR View Post
      Thank You!
      Yes, shipping to South Africa is US $ 247,- with TNT.
      It is almost 2x the price of shipping to USA!
      Very interested in this, and sent you a PM!
      '18 V90 R-Design | T6 | Polestar

Any updates here anybody end up trying a downpipe on a 2.0L Polestar ?

Would be nice to get a bit more performance out of these motors, they don't feel all that strong when really trying to push it.

Subscribing.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

I wanted to post the update to this thread, because we have custom downpipes for all Drive-E VEA petrol models in stock.
      We have catted and non catted Versions and just introduced thermal metal shielding, like high performance factory cars. It is better than textile wrap and better than ceramic coating. It is also much more durable, because it lasts "forever" even if it is hit by stone or other object.
      In pictures are our catted downpipes and non-catted with and without thermal insulation. Insulation can also be fitted on catted version.
      Attachment 55897Attachment 55899

I'm not challenging or dismissing Jake-JKR's products, the pictures posted look very thoughtfully crafted.

I just wanted to offer at least one other development I've been following on Instagram. Full disclaimer: I've not done business with the company, nor do I own any of their products...but it's been a great IG page to follow. It's kt4performance.

Here's a page from their website where they've been developing the "Moose Muscle" package for the 2.0 turbo/supercharger motors: https://kt4performance.com/check-out-our-work/

Jarek I’m very interested in purchasing the catted downpipe with thermal insulation as long as it does not set off a check engine light. What kind of power results did you see in testing?

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements