Sound Deadening questions
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sound Deadening questions

Hi All,

I want to make my volvo as quiet as possible. It is already the quietest car i own. There are 3 noises i wish to address.

1. Exhaust drone from the IPD catback. I already coated the spare tire well with 80 mill offbrand dynamat. (not really ment to stop noise, but should help prevent any resonance)

2. Stop wind noise

3. Quiet road noise as much as possible

To this effort my plan is to coat the car doors with 80 Mill Vibration dampening material (offbrand dynamat) to stop any resonance, and some Dynaliner as an acoustic barrier. In the trunk the plan is to put a layer of 1/2 inch dynaliner over everything that i have already coated with the dampener. I have to be careful here as i have a sub in the trunk, and while i want to stop the exhaust drone, i DONT want to stop the Sub. This means I cant insulate the trunk from the cabin completely.

Questions:

1. Dynaliner comes in 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8" thicknesses. I know i cant fit 1/2 in the doors, but would 1/4 fit and still allow the panels on?

2. I am doing the doors and the easily accessed areas of the trunk. Are there any other areas that i should focus on like the Pillars?

3. Has anyone used the Acoustic barrier products before, and if so what were your results.
      2012 S60 T6 (non R), P*, do88 FMIC, k&N drop in, IPD Sway Bar, PowerFlex "RACE" Torque Mount insert, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, IPD turbo Back exhaust, More to come?.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

So I only have a small amount in my car, but the difference was pretty significant. I got 2 decently large sheets of dynamat for my doors from a local audio shop because the panels were rattling really bad from songs with heavy bass. I can say the sound insulation was a very nice upgrade, and also somewhat improved the sound quality from my door speakers. It also absorbs a lot of the rattling I had, and now my mirrors dont shake from the bass at all. Ive seen people doing full dynamat on the floor of the cabin and that makes a huge difference in road noise.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design w/ Polestar Tune
      • H&R Lowering Springs
      • Elevate Sway Bar
      • Elevate Carbon Fibre Intake
      • Alexander Performance Turbo-back Exhaust
      • Hilton Stage 2+
      • Polestar Accessories

1997 960 Wagon

Follow my builds at http://www.boostmoose.com

Also the thickness on the doors shouldnt be an issue, the space between the panel and the actual inner door components is pretty big. I actually have a microfiber stuffed inside one of them for a bad rattle I had so take that as you will.
      • H&R Lowering Springs
      • Elevate Sway Bar
      • Hilton Stage 2+
      • Polestar Accessories

1997 960 Wagon

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by moyni View Post
      Also the thickness on the doors shouldnt be an issue, the space between the panel and the actual inner door components is pretty big. I actually have a microfiber stuffed inside one of them for a bad rattle I had so take that as you will.
      Instead of the dynamat i went ahead and bought the Noico green Closed cell foam. Around 118 sq feet of it, for the same price as 36 of the dynamat, i plan to double stack it in certain areas.
      2012 S60 T6 (non R), P*, do88 FMIC, k&N drop in, IPD Sway Bar, PowerFlex "RACE" Torque Mount insert, Stop Tech Slotted Rotors, IPD turbo Back exhaust, More to come?.

So I only have a small amount in my car, but the difference was pretty significant. I got 2 decently large sheets of dynamat for my doors from a local audio shop because the panels were rattling really bad from songs with heavy bass. I can say the sound insulation was a very nice upgrade, and also somewhat improved the sound quality from my door speakers. It also absorbs a lot of the rattling I had, and now my mirrors dont shake from the bass at all. Ive seen people doing full dynamat on the floor of the cabin and that makes a huge difference in road noise.
      Did you attach it to the door panel or the actual door metal shell?
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

Subscribing with great interest. I have a bunch of Hushmat deadener and Noico foam but I haven’t had the time to start installing. I intend to start by lining the wheel liners to eliminate some of the tire noise, and then I will do the floors after that. I have already improved my noise situation somewhat by replacing the sunroof weatherstripping, and four pieces of door weatherstripping, which reduced some of the wind noise and made the car feel more buttoned up. I’m also seriously considering shopping for some laminated side window glass if I can find some on the used market. I also recommend thoroughly washing and then treating all weatherstripping and metal surfaces they seal against, as clean, plump, supple rubber and clean metal seal much better with fewer gaps to let noise into the cabin.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

I like the idea of sound deadening to improve the feel of the car and the sound of the hi-fi but I don't get any road or wind noise or rattles in mine. You guys experiencing this have your cars done high mileage? Mines only done 35,000km (~ 22,000m).
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Cat Back Exhaust
      2014 XC90 3.2 R-Design - Black Saphire

Hi,
      I am trying to quiet our 2017 V60 CC as well and am very interested in the direction of this thread here. So far I put some Noico Butyl Sound Deadener and some Closed Cell Foam in the back under the spare wheel, in front/under the front seats under the carpet, in all 4 doors (I could not get the inner black plastic trim off, so I took the speakers out and put some behind it, as far as I could reach) on the black plastic trim and the backside of the door panel. And I put some foam behind the trim pieces with the tweeters above the doors, where the mirrors are mounted.
      I think all of that resulted in some overall noise reduction and also it feels like the car is more buttoned up and even more solid.
      Regarding wind noise I read something in a german forum about somebody being told by a service adviser to put a little strip of foam under the trims on either side of the windshield on the outside where the a-pillar panel meets the fender. I think it looks like wind could go under them from under the hood and travel up, creating noise. You can see where the foam is supposed to be at answer number 4 here:

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/wind...3Bschaumgummi.

I did this and also put some flexible sealant in the gap between the a-pillar panel and the fender that you see on the picture. Being obsessed, I put a fine line of flexible black sealer all around the triangles where the mirrors are fixed to the door.

Sometimes you hear about the trim pieces along either side of the windshield not sitting totally flush to the glass, thus creating whistles. Therefore I marked with tape where the said trim runs up on either side of the windshield, put a fine line of sealer there and put the trim down again in the bed of sealer - this way it is "fixed" to the glass and no wind could go in there.
      I believe (don't think it is placebo) all these action reduced the overall noise levels in the car quite a bit - but of course, it is always subjective.

Problem is, now I hear other noises more, like a faint whistle on the top back corner of the driver's side window, near the b-pillar. If you look at your door from the outside or with the window rolled down, there is a rounded part, where the window has a gap to the plastic of the door frame. So I got some self adhesive felt, cut out the shape of that area nd put a few layers of it on there - just enough that it does not interfere with rolling the window up and down. That reduced the whistle quite a bit.

My biggest "problem" now is, that I think I can hear outside noise/traffic noise/passing cars too much, so I am still investigating that. Doors have been adjusted, windows sit nice and tight in the rails.

Again, I know I am obsessed with it - I had somebody drive with me the other day and was told that the car is nice, comfy and quiet. When I mentioned the outside noise being too loud I just got a funny look and a shake of the head...

The car feels quiet when I have some music on, even on low to moderate levels, but of course I often torture myself by driving without music.

Hope that helps somebody and some other tips/tricks might show up here.

Fritz
      Last edited by fritzlovesmary; 02-15-2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: link does not work - sorry
      2017 V60 CC

You know what helps tremendously with road noise? Your choice of tire.
      2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p.rico View Post
      That's why I always run run flat tires for superior comfort and noise! (Joke, I don't, and wouldn't ). On a serious note, I agree tires are a major contributor of road noise

On the note of sound deadening, I would be interested in opinions of how much any sound deadening actually helps and compares to quieter cars. When I first got on sweedespeed I saw a post or two about this and I believe one removed the entire enterior basically to coat the floor.

I went into this car not expecting much having had a V50 that wasn't especially quiet and now experience with the new XC90 which is also not great in terms of isolation of the cabin. Modern Volvos (I have no knowledge of older ones, but doesn't seem great in the noise department) do not seem the cars to get if you want an isolated/quiet driving experience
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design Rebel Blue: Climate + BLIS - 19" Polestar Wheels, IPD F&R End Links, IPD Rear Sway Bar, Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod Insert, Elevate/KPAX Exhaust, K&N Filter - What I've Done

Do you have any picture of your improvment? Which thickness did you pick up?
      2016 V60 T5 2.0 FWD Premier Onyx Black Metallic: : BLIS | ERST Intake | IPD Rear Sway Bar | IPD F&R End Links | Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod | RD Suspension | IPD Skid Plate | Volvo Cap Mirror Satin Presentation
      Sold 2008 S40 2.4 FWD - Grey Metallic | K&N Filter | B4 & Koni Suspension

Monthly Seattle, WA: Meet and Greet Topic: HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      Did you attach it to the door panel or the actual door metal shell?
      Quote Originally Posted by TnoV60 View Post
      Do you have any picture of your improvment? Which thickness did you pick up?
      Here are the pictures from when I did it, this was back in summer of 2017. I have added a bit more since then. As for thickness, I am not very sure.

• H&R Lowering Springs
      • Elevate Sway Bar
      • Hilton Stage 2+
      • Polestar Accessories

1997 960 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by fritzlovesmary View Post
      Hi,
      I am trying to quiet our 2017 V60 CC as well and am very interested in the direction of this thread here. So far I put some Noico Butyl Sound Deadener and some Closed Cell Foam in the back under the spare wheel, in front/under the front seats under the carpet, in all 4 doors (I could not get the inner black plastic trim off, so I took the speakers out and put some behind it, as far as I could reach) on the black plastic trim and the backside of the door panel. And I put some foam behind the trim pieces with the tweeters above the doors, where the mirrors are mounted.
      I think all of that resulted in some overall noise reduction and also it feels like the car is more buttoned up and even more solid.
      Regarding wind noise I read something in a german forum about somebody being told by a service adviser to put a little strip of foam under the trims on either side of the windshield on the outside where the a-pillar panel meets the fender. I think it looks like wind could go under them from under the hood and travel up, creating noise. You can see where the foam is supposed to be at answer number 4 here:

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/wind...3Bschaumgummi.

I did this and also put some flexible sealant in the gap between the a-pillar panel and the fender that you see on the picture. Being obsessed, I put a fine line of flexible black sealer all around the triangles where the mirrors are fixed to the door.

Sometimes you hear about the trim pieces along either side of the windshield not sitting totally flush to the glass, thus creating whistles. Therefore I marked with tape where the said trim runs up on either side of the windshield, put a fine line of sealer there and put the trim down again in the bed of sealer - this way it is "fixed" to the glass and no wind could go in there.
      I believe (don't think it is placebo) all these action reduced the overall noise levels in the car quite a bit - but of course, it is always subjective.

Problem is, now I hear other noises more, like a faint whistle on the top back corner of the driver's side window, near the b-pillar. If you look at your door from the outside or with the window rolled down, there is a rounded part, where the window has a gap to the plastic of the door frame. So I got some self adhesive felt, cut out the shape of that area nd put a few layers of it on there - just enough that it does not interfere with rolling the window up and down. That reduced the whistle quite a bit.

My biggest "problem" now is, that I think I can hear outside noise/traffic noise/passing cars too much, so I am still investigating that. Doors have been adjusted, windows sit nice and tight in the rails.

Again, I know I am obsessed with it - I had somebody drive with me the other day and was told that the car is nice, comfy and quiet. When I mentioned the outside noise being too loud I just got a funny look and a shake of the head...

The car feels quiet when I have some music on, even on low to moderate levels, but of course I often torture myself by driving without music.

Hope that helps somebody and some other tips/tricks might show up here.

Fritz
      This is a superb contribution! Thank you so much for the info and level of detail you put into this. I look forward to trying some of these things. Wind and road noise are a constant irritant to me, so I am willing to be super anal when it comes to hunting and fixing each and every source of these annoying sounds. It amazes me how loud and poorly isolated some of these Volvos are, at some pretty lofty price points. The level of interior noise in my car is by far my biggest complaint about it.
      2011 S60 T6 with Polestar tune+TDI-Tuning : KW V3 coilovers : DO88 fmic : Ferrita downpipe : Powerflex "race" torque mount insert
      12.99 at 109mph

Man I don't get any of this. I must have the quietest 2 Volvos in the world.
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design - Rebel Blue - Polestar Tune - Polestar Performance Chassis - Polestar Performance Cat Back Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by thezoneS60 View Post
      Man I don't get any of this. I must have the quietest 2 Volvos in the world.
      Maybe. Or maybe you aren’t picky.

It’s also possible your cars are literally much quieter than ours. I’m not sure if it’s a build quality issue or an equipment level issue but my own experience driving a handful of P3 cars is that their interior noise levels vary a lot from one to the next. Most range from loud, to louder. The only exception I’ve ever experienced was one 2015ish V60 T5 DriveE rental a friend of mine had. It was BY FAR quieter than any other P3 car I’ve been in. Near silent, with almost no outside traffic noise intrusion into the cabin. Minimal tire noise and no wind noise, either. My 2011 T6 is a much more luxuriously appointed car and yet it has never seemed anywhere close to as buttoned-up as that V60 did. I’ve also driven recent DriveE S60s that weren’t nearly as quiet as that V60. Perhaps it had laminated glass? Some P3s do and some don’t. Wish I had checked the glass for part numbers to confirm.
      12.99 at 109mph

thezoneS60, glad you have quiet Volvos, I envy you.
      Like Bunnspeed with the quiet V60, I had a very, very quiet experience with a loaner V40 a few years ago in Germany - that thing was almost scary in a good way. I was doing about 90 mph and all I could hear was a faint humming of the tires, it was amazing. But I also knew people that had noise issues with their V40s. I think it is often little individual things that make a difference on sealing or trim pieces.
      Sometimes when I am at a dealer I take a closer look at door and window seals on different cars of the same model and often you can see differences, even little ones. And I think that is what makes a car noisier or less noisy.
      I read a lot about road/traffic/wind noise in other brand's forums as well, and there are a lot of people having issues with it - with almost every maker and model.
      Often the advice is given to measure it with a db meter for real world accuracy.
      In my humble opinion that is not the point, because how one is affected by noise is maybe similar to how one is effected by temperature. I think if one says he or she feels warm, it does not matter what the temperature is - 60 degrees might feel warm for one, just right for another or chilly for yet another.

Again, just my 2 cents. But I think it is the same with noise in the car, the db don't matter - it matters if you think it is noisy or quiet enough...

I bought a $10 stethoscope and sometimes, when I park in the garage of our local Walmart (where they alway play music) I sit in my car and try to locate spots on the door or window seals where I can hear the music coming in. For example, that is how I "confirmed" that the faint whistle on the top back part of the door might be coming from that rounded part where the window has a gap to the door itself. When I put the hose of the stethoscope (I took the metal part of from the front of it) in that spot, I heard the music come in pretty loud...
      If have another spot on the bottom of the window in the corner, need to work on that one next.

Again, it is not easy to be obsessed with that. The car is quiet when I have music on, even on low or medium levels - but of course I often torture myself by driving without anything playing.

Noise is always subjective, so I would really like to ride with somebody who has a quiet Volvo. I live in DC and would gladly do that in the greater area around here.

Thanks and have a good rest of the weekend.

Fritz
      2017 V60 CC

So today I started the process of removing wheel liners. I will attempt to line the backside of them and possibly some of the metal inside the fenders with Hushmat as the next step in my efforts to quell road noise.

While I think of it: Those of you who are considering coil overs should know that my car picked up a lot of road noise going from stock T6 suspension to KW V3s. Hopefully this will help knock some of that down a bit.
      12.99 at 109mph

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnspeed View Post
      So today I started the process of removing wheel liners. I will attempt to line the backside of them and possibly some of the metal inside the fenders with Hushmat as the next step in my efforts to quell road noise.

While I think of it: Those of you who are considering coil overs should know that my car picked up a lot of road noise going from stock T6 suspension to KW V3s. Hopefully this will help knock some of that down a bit.
      I am looking forward to your results of the wheel well liner project - that is on my list as well.

I had a few of these spring silencers on our V60P*, and it made a very noticeable difference in road noise...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-tein-par...BoCDwgQAvD_BwE

Fritz
      2017 V60 CC

This is a superb contribution! Thank you so much for the info and level of detail you put into this. I look forward to trying some of these things. Wind and road noise are a constant irritant to me, so I am willing to be super anal when it comes to hunting and fixing each and every source of these annoying sounds. It amazes me how loud and poorly isolated some of these Volvos are, at some pretty lofty price points. The level of interior noise in my car is by far my biggest complaint about it.
      I completely agree - my 2018 S60 is very loud at highway speeds, even AFTER I had a layer of MLV (mass-loaded vinyl) and a layer of Noico-branded Dynamat analog installed over the entire cabin floor. Most of noise in mine is still coming from the road, engine and wind noise is minimal. Abysmally poor job by Volvo sound-deadening P3 generation cars. In comparison, my wife's new SPA XC60 is pretty quiet. I am really interested in sound-proofing wheel wells - looking forward to photos and guidelines, when you get yours done!

PS. Avoid Yokohama A/S tires if you care about road noise. Excellent thread wear, but very noisy.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Point taken guys, but here's a couple of things that may impact the reason why there may be a difference.

Your cars are left hand drive and mine are right so most likely built in different places?

I live in a climate which never gets below 10c (50f) even on the coldest winter night, you guys living in snow in the winter but then getting warmer temps in summer could be experiencing leaks from contraction and expansion of joints/seals?

I am looking forward to your results of the wheel well liner project - that is on my list as well.

I had a few of these spring silencers on our V60P*, and it made a very noticeable difference in road noise...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-tein-par...BoCDwgQAvD_BwE

Fritz
      I definitely want to see the results of the wheel liners. I have over 100 sq feet of foam, and im not afraid to toss it in random places.

UPDATE:

I pulled the "spare tire" cover out of the trunk, and layed foam on top of the bare metal. I had about a 50% covering of that area with some vibration dampening stuff.
      I dont know if its placebo or not, but the drone from the IPD exhaust sounds slightly subdued and less intrusive.

My next step is to yank the covering off the sides of the trunk and coat the metal completely with Vibration dampener. I will follow that with the foam. My hope is that coating every surface in the trunk except the rear deck will prevent the exhaust drone from entering the cabin.

I remember seeing someon having had removed the B and C pillar trim to try and rout a wire. Is this a simple process? i would love to get the material in there.

In addition to the doors, am going to pull the carpet in the footwells as far down as i can get it and coat that area as well.

Here are the pictures from when I did it, this was back in summer of 2017. I have added a bit more since then. As for thickness, I am not very sure.

Its a shame there isnt much metal to use the vibration dampening on. Like you i will probably remove the speakers (mine are aftermarket) and coat everything inside the door i can touch with the vibration material. Then I will coat the plastic with a layer of the foam. I also think that i will have the foam slightly past where the door panel meets the door. Hopefully this well help stop any rattles.

I actually just changed tires to some Bridgestone Potenza RE980s AS They rate well on tire rack in tread noise. As much as i care about road noise, Performance is a definitely balancing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
      UPDATE:

I pulled the "spare tire" cover out of the trunk, and layed foam on top of the bare metal. I had about a 50% covering of that area with some vibration dampening stuff.
      I dont know if its placebo or not, but the drone from the IPD exhaust sounds slightly subdued and less intrusive.

My next step is to yank the covering off the sides of the trunk and coat the metal completely with Vibration dampener. I will follow that with the foam. My hope is that coating every surface in the trunk except the rear deck will prevent the exhaust drone from entering the cabin.

I remember seeing someon having had removed the B and C pillar trim to try and rout a wire. Is this a simple process? i would love to get the material in there.

In addition to the doors, am going to pull the carpet in the footwells as far down as i can get it and coat that area as well.
      Glad you are having some success. I, too, would like to remove the B pillar trim, as I can see a broken clip in there when I pull the pieces apart slightly. Mine looks and feels like it has already been removed and reapplied in a hasty manner, possibly when the dealership replaced a worn piece of weatherstripping at my request a couple of years ago, while my car was under warranty. At this point it seems like the B pillar, which is directly next to my ear, would be a good place to work on sealing any air gaps and also adding sound deadening mat and foam to reduce any noises that may otherwise be routed right to the ear in what appears to be a hollow and uninsulated structural component. It might reduce road noise being transmitted up that chute directly from the floor, and could also possibly absorb a little wind noise sound. I'm sure I could figure out how it comes apart, but I don't want to start messing around and inadvertently set off an airbag.

Can anyone point us toward that thread about the B pillar trim removal? Is there actually an airbag in that pillar? If so, another variable to consider would be to not put any new material between the airbag itself and the occupant of the seat next to the B pillar. In other words, you don't want sound deadening or foam to impede the way an airbag is supposed to deploy, either reducing its effectiveness or creating some sort of projectile scenario.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 02-20-2019 at 01:29 PM.
      12.99 at 109mph

Here's another question. Can someone look in the trunk of their S60 and confirm if there's supposed to be a fiber panel under the parcel shelf, on the roof of the trunk? I noticed that when I popped open my trink, there's no panel in the top of my trunk area, just wiring and metal under the fiber parcel tray. To clarify, the parcel tray is fine inside the cabin, but the corresponding area inside the trunk directly below it looks like it's missing a panel. It looks unfinished and I'm thinking that panel may have been removed if work was done by the former owner, and it was never reinstalled. If you can post a picture of the roof of your trunk area, all the better. Better still if you happen to see a part#. I *think* the part I need is on Tasca for like $154 but the parts diagram isn't super clear. Seems like this would significantly improve isolation from road noise that may be coming into the cabin through the parcel shelf area.

Thank you.
      12.99 at 109mph

Here's another question. Can someone look in the trunk of their S60 and confirm if there's supposed to be a fiber panel under the parcel shelf, on the roof of the trunk? I noticed that when I popped open my trink, there's no panel in the top of my trunk area, just wiring and metal under the fiber parcel tray. To clarify, the parcel tray is fine inside the cabin, but the corresponding area inside the trunk directly below it looks like it's missing a panel. It looks unfinished and I'm thinking that panel may have been removed if work was done by the former owner, and it was never reinstalled. If you can post a picture of the roof of your trunk area, all the better. Better still if you happen to see a part#. I *think* the part I need is on Tasca for like $154 but the parts diagram isn't super clear. Seems like this would significantly improve isolation from road noise that may be coming into the cabin through the parcel shelf area.

Thank you.
      I can verify and take photos on Friday when I do the rest of the trunk. I am still very interested to see how much of a difference shielding the wheel wells makes. when you get around to that please post the results here.

Thank you.
      There's nothing up there but bare metal, if you're referring to what I think you're referring to, which is the shelf under the window that has the latches for the seat pull downs.

2012 S60 T6 AWD - Vibrant Copper - Premium Package - Climate Package - Multimedia Package - BLIS - Polestar Optimization + Mods galore
      Running intro/install/DIY thread: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...w-S60-T6-Owner!

Can you tell us something about the outcome of treating the wheel liners?

Fritz
      2017 V60 CC

Thank you.
      There's nothing up there but bare metal, if you're referring to what I think you're referring to, which is the shelf under the window that has the latches for the seat pull downs.

Thank you! I’d appreciate it if other people can look and see if they have a panel or not, too. I am pretty sure Tasca has a panel available to cover that section, so perhaps it only came in some trim levels or for specific markets. Maybe it’s even a diesel-only thing. In any case, it’s surprising that there isn’t more of a barrier between the trunk and the cabin. Not only that, but there appears to be almost no sound deadening effort made in the entire trunk, as there’s just that flimsy, thin, stiff trunk liner carpet on the floor and sides of the trunk, and a tiny bit of material on the trunk lid itself.

That thin material, which likely serves more of a cosmetic than an acoustics function, covers big expanses or bare sheet metal directly over the road, muffler, and rear wheel wells, which are otherwise sorely lacking in sound deadening or blocking material. Not only that, but there are big gaps around the top edge of the material. In the short term, it’s probably a good idea to at least better seal that top edge of the trunk liner to the sheet metal, perhaps with a belt of double-sided tape underneath the liner. A downside to that approach may or may not be some resulting loss in airflow that might end up building condensation or other moisture problems in the trunk and interior.

In any case, guaranteed the trunk is a huge source of road noise. I’d love to hang some acoustic eggcrate foam material under the parcel shelf, and, after some minor accident damage gets fixed, I’ll definitely spend a lot of time lining the inside of the trunk with both deadening mat and blocking foam.
      Attached Images Attached Images
      12.99 at 109mph

Can you tell us something about the outcome of treating the wheel liners?

Fritz
      I spent a ton of time not getting very far with this project. I did one liner, the driver side front. Well, not the liner itself, exactly. After 75,000 miles of use, it is too filthy for my sound deadening mats to stick to the backside properly. Besides, the inside of the liner has lots of pockets and irregular shapes that likely serve some acoustic purpose, so I didn’t want to mess with that. Instead I lined the inside of the fender itself with a bunch of Hushmat and some Noico Green foam sound blocker, but in such a way that the material would be hidden behind the liner when I reinstalled it. I don’t want it to look terrible or be visible at all for that matter. It made a noticeable but small difference in road noise, and wasn’t really worth the effort and amount of time invested imo, although doing the other 3 should make a bigger difference in the aggregate. I just haven’t had the motivation. There’s still so much other noise to deal with that this was but a drop in the bucket.
      12.99 at 109mph

Currently lining the driver’s side B pillar with Fatmat and then some Noico Green foam. I’m hoping the trim pieces will go back on properly. I’m also attempting to tighten some looser contact points between the body door opening weatherstrip and the trim around the door itself, stuffing a length of Caulk Saver into a groove in the weatherstrip, essentially plumping it up to make tighter contact with the door. Seeing how loose the tolerances were, this should help reduce wind noise significantly.
      Last edited by Bunnspeed; 02-27-2019 at 01:35 AM.
      12.99 at 109mph

:crickets:

Man, I miss the VW GTI forums where a large number of people contributed on a regular basis. Things were a lot more lively. Such a different scene here, lol. Anyhow, I do hope others will continue to weigh in and report on their progress or add any additional info they might have.
      12.99 at 109mph

Currently lining the driver’s side B pillar with Fatmat and then some Noico Green foam. I’m hoping the trim pieces will go back on properly. I’m also attempting to tighten some looser contact points between the body door opening weatherstrip and the trim around the door itself, stuffing a length of Caulk Saver into a groove in the weatherstrip, essentially plumping it up to make tighter contact with the door. Seeing how loose the tolerances were, this should help reduce wind noise significantly.
      That sounds very interesting. What groove are you talking about, though?

Fritz
      2017 V60 CC

I am nearly done with stuffing the driver side B pillar with SD material. Strips of mat on any exposed metal I could get to, then strips of foam over that. Even in incomplete form with the panels loose, the quality of wind noise and outside noise intrusion at ear level has changed and seems more muted. It’s a much more worthwhile change than the work I did in the left front fender.
      12.99 at 109mph

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast