Anybody with a Volvo Prepaid maintenance plan for their V/CC/S90?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Anybody with a Volvo Prepaid maintenance plan for their V/CC/S90?

Good Morning guys!

As I am closing in on 25k miles in my 8-month-old V90CC and nearing the last free service, I was wondering if now would be a good time to start looking into prepaid-maintenance plans for the Vehicle?

I plan to keep this Vehicle for a long time to come and would like to be proactive about maintenance especially with my last minute 1000-mile road trip plans.

With my initial (google) research, it seems the plans offered are (only) up to 100,000 miles and every service (according to the Volvo service manual) after the first 3 free ones end-up costing in the $400-$600 range for every 10k miles up to 100,000 miles. That's almost $4.5k (pessimistically) and about $3k (optimistically) for 7 Vehicle services up to 100k miles.

I had a bunch of questions I needed to ask fellow V/CC/S90 owners here,

1) Anyone here has signed up or even looked closely into these pre-paid maintenance plans?

2) If signed up, why? and if not, why?

3) How much were you quoted/charged and for what plan?

4) How many miles did you have on your Vehicle when you were quoted for the maintenance plan?

5) Anyone here compared the pros and cons between buying a prepaid-maintenance plan v/s an extended warranty for their Volvo? What did you finally end up picking and why?

Appreciate your feedback. Thank you for all your comments and help!
      Last edited by Volvolic; 02-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I purchased the Volvo prepaid maintenance plan for my V90 from Steingold Volvo. The pricing for the different plans is located on their web site. You should take that information and compare it to what your local dealer will charge.

My plan was purchased shortly after I purchased my car and before I had 1,000 miles on it. The primary concern was to lock in the cost of the maintenance visits after the 30k service. I also purchased the wear endorsement so that it would cover brake pads and rotors, etc.

It is important to note that a prepaid maintenance plan is different from an extended warranty. The former covers routine maintenance on the vehicle while the latter pays for repairs. I purchased both.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      I purchased the Volvo prepaid maintenance plan for my V90 from Steingold Volvo. The pricing for the different plans is located on their web site. You should take that information and compare it to what your local dealer will charge.

My plan was purchased shortly after I purchased my car and before I had 1,000 miles on it. The primary concern was to lock in the cost of the maintenance visits after the 30k service. I also purchased the wear endorsement so that it would cover brake pads and rotors, etc.

It is important to note that a prepaid maintenance plan is different from an extended warranty. The former covers routine maintenance on the vehicle while the latter pays for repairs. I purchased both.
      What's the exact make-up of your maintainance plan (3 services, 4 services or...)and extended warranty (5yr/120k miles or 8yr/100k miles or...)?

Steingold Volvo's website quotes me $2160 for prepaid maintainance only plan irrespective of MY, type and mileage of the Vehicle as long as it's an MY16+ and less than 40,000 miles. I'm not a big fan of the wear coverage as I do not go through the wipers and/or brakes that often.

Their website has no option to check for an extended warranty for Vehicles with more than 1000 miles on the Odo.

If you do not mind sharing with us, how much were you charged for the prepaid maintenance + extended warranty with <1000 miles on the Odo?

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      What's the exact make-up of your maintainance plan (3 services, 4 services or...)and extended warranty (5yr/120k miles or 8yr/100k miles or...)?

Steingold Volvo's website quotes me $2160 for prepaid maintainance only plan irrespective of MY, type and mileage of the Vehicle as long as it's an MY16+ and less than 40,000 miles. I'm not a big fan of the wear coverage as I do not go through the wipers and/or brakes that often.

Their website has no option to check for an extended warranty for Vehicles with more than 1000 miles on the Odo.

If you do not mind sharing with us, how much were you charged for the prepaid maintenance + extended warranty with <1000 miles on the Odo?
      You have to call them to get a quote on the warranty. They base it off your mileage, age, and vin number, so there isn't much use to comparing two cars that aren't the same with different mileage/age. I will say that Steingold was significantly cheaper than any other dealer I called/emailed for a quote.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      You have to call them to get a quote on the warranty. They base it off your mileage, age, and vin number, so there isn't much use to comparing two cars that aren't the same with different mileage/age...
      Yes. You're absolutely right. I'm just trying to get a ballpark number so I can roughly estimate how much should it cost me for an extended warranty.

For instance, if it's $3000 for a 2018V90CC with less than 1000 miles for a 6yr/120k miles plan, it probably would be a good deal to have the same plan for around $3.5k to $3.8k for a 2018 V90CC with 30,000 miles on the Odometer while $4.5k to $5k for the same plan for the same car would be a bad deal.

I never buy extended warranties anymore and have never regretted it. I could pay for a ton of repairs based on the money I have not spent on extended warranties.

The extended maintenance plan is another story. I got a 50K plan for free as part of a special deal, but I’ve gone through two complete sets of rotors and pads at only 27K due to warped rotors and am very glad I have this plan in place in case this pattern continues. First set I figured was bad luck, but second set of rotors went after only 12K. If this turns out to be a recurring problem with this car, I’d want an even longer plan in place. Love the car, and hope this last set fixes the problem, but not bad insurance to have the maintenance plan just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning guys!

As I am closing in on 25k miles in my 8-month-old V90CC and nearing the last free service, I was wondering if now would be a good time to start looking into prepaid-maintenance plans for the Vehicle?

I plan to keep this Vehicle for a long time to come and would like to be proactive about maintenance especially with my last minute 1000-mile road trip plans.

With my initial (google) research, it seems the plans offered are (only) up to 100,000 miles and every service (according to the Volvo service manual) after the first 3 free ones end-up costing in the $400-$600 range for every 10k miles up to 100,000 miles. That's almost $4.5k (pessimistically) and about $3k (optimistically) for 7 Vehicle services up to 100k miles.

I had a bunch of questions I needed to ask fellow V/CC/S90 owners here,
      I Own a Volvo S60 (Not V90 as per thread) and have a Prepaid Maintenance + Wear Plan (Brakes, Rotors, pads, Wipers). I've seen people price out services in a range of say 300-600 depending on the what maintenance you're at and dealer. that services the vehicle. I will state that you can often find 15-25% off specials at dealers. And often pricing out each piece of maintenance individually is supposedly cheaper than bundling them into a 40K, 50K, etc according to people on here.

See "Pricing" before any discounts / service specials offered by dealers: https://www.steingold.com/factory-sc...e-upgrades.htm

That being said, the benefit of doing maintenance at the dealer is if you run into a problem outside of warranty, Volvo is more apt to offer good will assistance. But of course, you're paying for the luxury since dealer maintenance is going to add up to at least $2000-3000 for the 40-100K (7 services). Not including Brakes + Rotors + Pads (Wear Plan) which is not included in the standard prepaid maintenance.

1) Anyone here has signed up or even looked closely into these pre-paid maintenance plans?
      Yes See Above:

2) If signed up, why? and if not, why?
      Got it for "free" as an apology from Volvo Dealer....Including Wear (Pads, Rotors, Brakes, Wipers)... Which apparently I'm too damn good of a driver and in 40K my pads are still at 10mm and 8mm..

3) How much were you quoted/charged and for what plan?
      Dealer wrote $2000 on my invoice including wear, but that was a "generous assessment". Steingold lists $2,160 as the cost of 7 prepaid maintenance without wear for a V90. $3883 including wear: https://squareup.com/store/steingold...-years-miles-1

4) How many miles did you have on your Vehicle when you were quoted for the maintenance plan?
      Doesn't matter. You are buying the number of maintenance and not mileage per say. You are at 25,000. Your last free maintenance is 30,000. 40-100K Prepaid maintenance is $2160.

5) Anyone here compared the pros and cons between buying a prepaid-maintenance plan v/s an extended warranty for their Volvo? What did you finally end up picking and why?
      Maintenance is completely separate from extended warranty. Maintenance covers as the name states, regular checks on the vehicle. Extended Warranty covers problems that might arise once the 4 yr / 50,000 mile warranty runs out.

Extended Warranties are a gamble. Most times you lose and that's why extended warranties are lucrative for insurers. The math is done by the insurer and statistically, few people have enough problems to cover their "investment". Now of course, that's not to say you won't be one of those outliers with a ton of issues. But most problems get resolved under the standard warranty.

I've had my fair share, nothing major, but a few fixes that'd likely cost probably a good $1,000. Backup Camera + Wiring Harness + Seat + Software update to fix a Camera that wasn't working properly. My Mirror Motor Died. Other cheaper fixes was gear shift enamel cracked (Replaced Gearshift). And then Rearview Mirror Fogged and was replaced.

Appreciate your feedback. Thank you for all your comments and help!
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 02-20-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Tell me about it. I tried to get my dealer to replace my brakes / pads at my 40K...I was told I must drive my car very gently. I have 10mm on front and 8mm rear... That's what I get for being a Highway driver. Chances are I'll be lucky to get one set of brakes, pads, rotors out of the Prepaid + Wear. O well, didn't technically cost me but still be nice to get my use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Tell me about it. I tried to get my dealer to replace my brakes / pads at my 40K...I was told I must drive my car very gently. I have 10mm on front and 8mm rear... That's what I get for being a Highway driver. Chances are I'll be lucky to get one set of brakes, pads, rotors out of the Prepaid + Wear. O well, didn't technically cost me but still be nice to get my use out of it.
      I Own a Volvo S60 (Not V90 as per thread) and have a Prepaid Maintenance + Wear Plan (Brakes, Rotors, pads, Wipers). I've seen people price out services in a range of say 300-600 depending on the what maintenance you're at and dealer. that services the vehicle. I will state that you can often find 15-25% off specials at dealers. And often pricing out each piece of maintenance individually is supposedly cheaper than bundling them into a 40K, 50K, etc according to people on here.

See "Pricing" before any discounts / service specials offered by dealers: https://www.steingold.com/factory-sc...e-upgrades.htm

That being said, the benefit of doing maintenance at the dealer is if you run into a problem outside of warranty, Volvo is more apt to offer good will assistance. But of course, you're paying for the luxury since dealer maintenance is going to add up to at least $2000-3000 for the 40-100K (7 services). Not including Brakes + Rotors + Pads (Wear Plan) which is not included in the standard prepaid maintenance.

Yes See Above:

Got it for "free" as an apology from Volvo Dealer....Including Wear (Pads, Rotors, Brakes, Wipers)... Which apparently I'm too damn good of a driver and in 40K my pads are still at 10mm and 8mm..

Dealer wrote $2000 on my invoice including wear, but that was a "generous assessment". Steingold lists $2,160 as the cost of 7 prepaid maintenance without wear for a V90. $3883 including wear: https://squareup.com/store/steingold...-years-miles-1

Doesn't matter. You are buying the number of maintenance and not mileage per say. You are at 25,000. Your last free maintenance is 30,000. 40-100K Prepaid maintenance is $2160.

Maintenance is completely separate from extended warranty. Maintenance covers as the name states, regular checks on the vehicle. Extended Warranty covers problems that might arise once the 4 yr / 50,000 mile warranty runs out.

Extended Warranties are a gamble. Most times you lose and that's why extended warranties are lucrative for insurers. The math is done by the insurer and statistically, few people have enough problems to cover their "investment". Now of course, that's not to say you won't be one of those outliers with a ton of issues. But most problems get resolved under the standard warranty.

I've had my fair share, nothing major, but a few fixes that'd likely cost probably a good $1,000. Backup Camera + Wiring Harness + Seat + Software update to fix a Camera that wasn't working properly. My Mirror Motor Died. Other cheaper fixes was gear shift enamel cracked (Replaced Gearshift). And then Rearview Mirror Fogged and was replaced.
      Thank you, MyVolvoS60 for your detailed suggestions. I have gotten my front (Warped) rotors replaced at around 7k miles on the Odo. These new ones still feel perfect and I don't think they will need replacing soon. I plan to upgrade to a Big Brake Kit anyways once I go through the current set of rotors (there's a thread on the XC90 sub-forums about it).

As you ,even I am a highway driver with minimal use of brakes and wipers (I got all glasses and mirrors coated with Aquapel and now the water just flows over the windshield at highway speeds). Haven't used my wipers in a long time except for cleaning some snow while parked.

I put on miles really quickly on my Vehicle and that makes me unsure if the extended warranty will be worth it for me. Maintainance plans, definately yes.

Thank you, MyVolvoS60 for your detailed suggestions. I have gotten my front (Warped) rotors replaced at around 7k miles on the Odo. These new ones still feel perfect and I don't think they will need replacing soon. I plan to upgrade to a Big Brake Kit anyways once I go through the current set of rotors (there's a thread on the XC90 sub-forums about it).

As you ,even I am a highway driver with minimal use of brakes and wipers (I got all glasses and mirrors coated with Aquapel and now the water just flows over the windshield at highway speeds). Haven't used my wipers in a long time except for cleaning some snow while parked.

I put on miles really quickly on my Vehicle and that makes me unsure if the extended warranty will be worth it for me. Maintainance plans, definately yes.
      You are welcome. 7K on rotors? Ouch. Any explanation from dealer why they worse so quickly? I'm at 41,000 on my S60 and as I stated, 10mm front and 8mm rear on pads. Nothing even close to warping rotors. And being that you're a highway driver also, that's 100% abnormal since braking isn't constant like the stop and go city driving.

I've had several wipers replaced under the wear plan of my warranty. Snow + Ice + Rain and they seem to get less effective. Is Aquapel like RainX? Does it do a good job of keeping snow and mud off window as the snow / ice builds up and gets kicked onto the windshield?

Caveat of highly driving is I have 2 surface pits in my windshield. Nothing that'll crack but apparently those nice friendly dump trucks that kick up or lose stuff from their haul landed a solid one on my glass... Grrr

It's too late now (don't know if you can still buy one or not).... but apparently there are new plans available for 10 yrs / unlimited mileage on Steingold. But must be bought within first 1000 miles..https://squareup.com/store/steingold-volvo-cars/

For $100 deductible it is $2689 for 10 years / unlimited miles. That's not bad since a mileage cap on your end would negate the warranty. However, you are outside the 1000 miles and would have to check if another option exists with dealer.

Warranties are a gamble so I can't say if you'd win or not. Seeing how you are a high mileage driver, there are two arguments here.

1. All miles are not created equal. In theory, city miles are much harder on a vehicle than highway. Though the potholes around here on the highway are treacherous at the moment.

2. Miles are still miles and stuff still brakes. I.E. if you wrack up 360,000 miles in 10 years... As you're averaging about 3K monthly. A warranty may make sense since the chances of say the engine or key systems failing are increased with general wear and usage.

I bought the 7 yr / 100K CPO on my car. Was bundled into price but it was listed at $1600. It's a gamble for 99% of us. You might be the exception since you're a power driver and really drive an exorbitant amount of miles. So far, all the problems I listed have been fixed under standard warranty. Which remains in effect until June. After that the 3 yrs of the CPO take over. So we'll see. I'd put my money on the insurer wins and makes most of the $1600 I spent.

As I believe with most cars, gremlins get fixed early on within a car's life. So the chances I suffer a failure of any sorts is slim. I only bought CPO because my car was a loaner / demo and I bought from afar. So I was worried about the 2000 miles put on it before I owned. More of a precautionary and probably a costly investment. But again, all a gamble.

We purchased the Prepaid Maintenance (I believe the form calls it Volvo Increased Protection Prepaid Maintenance, so hopefully we are talking about the same thing). We have a 2017 CPO V90CC that we purchased with 5400 miles a little less than a year ago. The prepaid maintenance covers 3 "maintenance only" services (40k, 50k, 60k miles) and cost us $1790 when we bought the car. After purchasing, I initially had buyer's remorse for buying something now that we won't use for years, but it's transferrable, so I figure there is some value for a future buyer should we sell the car earlier than planned (at least this is what I tell myself for potentially being a dope).

TRANSFER: YOU may transfer this Contract to another owner but not to another vehicle. To transfer this Contract, YOU must mail the following three (3) items to FWS within thirty (30) days of transfer of vehicle ownership: 1.) a completed Transfer Form (or a letter containing the name and address of the new owner and YOUR authorization to transfer); 2.) a legible copy of the front page of this Contract; and 3.) a check for $40 payable to FWS, for the transfer fee. This Contract may not be transferred to any entity in the business of selling or leasing motor vehicles.
      2017 Volvo V90 CC
      2018 BMW 530i

Regarding brakes, as I mentioned in another thread, I think my use of cruise control in the mountains may have something to do with the excessive rotor wear and warping. Been through two sets of brakes all around at 27K and I finally realized that the CC is using the brakes on long downhills when cruise is engaged. My last cars just used engine braking, so it didn’t occur to me that the CC would sit on the brakes to maintain speed, but I think that’s exactly what it’s been doing. I drive very long downhills every weekend, and now I suspect that the car has been roasting the brakes in order to maintain cruise speed. So even though most of my miles have been highway, I’ve had excessive wear and warping. Guess I won’t be using cruise coming down the mountain any more.

You are welcome. 7K on rotors? Ouch. Any explanation from dealer why they worse so quickly? I'm at 41,000 on my S60 and as I stated, 10mm front and 8mm rear on pads. Nothing even close to warping rotors. And being that you're a highway driver also, that's 100% abnormal since braking isn't constant like the stop and go city driving.
      They were defective. I had steering wheel shimmy at the slightest brake pedal touch and immediately knew my Rotors were bad. They were out-of-spec according to the dealer and he happily replaced both fronts under warranty.

I've had several wipers replaced under the wear plan of my warranty. Snow + Ice + Rain and they seem to get less effective. Is Aquapel like RainX? Does it do a good job of keeping snow and mud off window as the snow / ice builds up and gets kicked onto the windshield?
      I keep my wiper blade edges clean by wiping them with rubbing alcohol. Aquapel is much much better than RainX. I buy it from Amazon and apply once every year. It really is worth the price.

Caveat of highly driving is I have 2 surface pits in my windshield. Nothing that'll crack but apparently those nice friendly dump trucks that kick up or lose stuff from their haul landed a solid one on my glass... Grrr
      My Vehicles entire front has been pitted during a heavy sand/wind storm while navigating Wyoming's mountain passes on my recent road trip. I'm talking almost zero visibility and the sand hitting the car and sounding almost like water droplets falling on a tin roof. Lucky for me, my vehicle is wrapped up in XPEL ultimate and that absorbed most of the micro-scratches and healed itself. My front windshield is sadly marred with scratches from the sand which I'll clay and cover with Aquapel when it's spring.

Quote Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
      We purchased the Prepaid Maintenance (I believe the form calls it Volvo Increased Protection Prepaid Maintenance, so hopefully we are talking about the same thing). We have a 2017 CPO V90CC that we purchased with 5400 miles a little less than a year ago. The prepaid maintenance covers 3 "maintenance only" services (40k, 50k, 60k miles) and cost us $1790 when we bought the car. After purchasing, I initially had buyer's remorse for buying something now that we won't use for years, but it's transferrable, so I figure there is some value for a future buyer should we sell the car earlier than planned (at least this is what I tell myself for potentially being a dope).

TRANSFER: YOU may transfer this Contract to another owner but not to another vehicle. To transfer this Contract, YOU must mail the following three (3) items to FWS within thirty (30) days of transfer of vehicle ownership: 1.) a completed Transfer Form (or a letter containing the name and address of the new owner and YOUR authorization to transfer); 2.) a legible copy of the front page of this Contract; and 3.) a check for $40 payable to FWS, for the transfer fee. This Contract may not be transferred to any entity in the business of selling or leasing motor vehicles.
      Where did you purchase the plan from? Steingold Volvo or your Volvo dealer? The 3 "maintainance" only plan on Steingold is listed for $1241. If we both are talking about the same plan (I think we are), you might have over-paid for yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
      Regarding brakes, as I mentioned in another thread, I think my use of cruise control in the mountains may have something to do with the excessive rotor wear and warping. Been through two sets of brakes all around at 27K and I finally realized that the CC is using the brakes on long downhills when cruise is engaged. My last cars just used engine braking, so it didn’t occur to me that the CC would sit on the brakes to maintain speed, but I think that’s exactly what it’s been doing. I drive very long downhills every weekend, and now I suspect that the car has been roasting the brakes in order to maintain cruise speed. So even though most of my miles have been highway, I’ve had excessive wear and warping. Guess I won’t be using cruise coming down the mountain any more.

Yes. I totally agree with you. The Vehicle doesn't seem to use any Engine braking. In addition, instead of coasting (especially Eco mode), the Vehicle keeps the accelerator engaged while braking. That's just the best way to fry your brakes! I experienced this a couple of times while using the feature in the very beginning and don't use it anymore.

Where did you purchase the plan from? Steingold Volvo or your Volvo dealer? The 3 "maintainance" only plan on Steingold is listed for $1241. If we both are talking about the same plan (I think we are), you might have over-paid for yours.
      Through the dealer we purchased from. I'm quite certain I overpaid for it, part of my buyer's remorse. I spent a lot of time finding us just the right wagon at a reasonable price, and then fell prey to the "while we are at it" pitch in the finance office, LOL. At least I learned from that with our BMW purchase a few months later.
      2017 Volvo V90 CC
      2018 BMW 530i

They were defective. I had steering wheel shimmy at the slightest brake pedal touch and immediately knew my Rotors were bad. They were out-of-spec according to the dealer and he happily replaced both fronts under warranty.
      Figured there had to be a defect for the rotors to go bad so quickly.

I keep my wiper blade edges clean by wiping them with rubbing alcohol. Aquapel is much much better than RainX. I buy it from Amazon and apply once every year. It really is worth the price.
      Is it pretty easy to apply the Aquapel to the windshield? One application is good for a year? Snow and salt kill windshield wipers. What does rubbing edges with alcohol do? Mine are free to replace but curious about said techniques.

My Vehicles entire front has been pitted during a heavy sand/wind storm while navigating Wyoming's mountain passes on my recent road trip. I'm talking almost zero visibility and the sand hitting the car and sounding almost like water droplets falling on a tin roof. Lucky for me, my vehicle is wrapped up in XPEL ultimate and that absorbed most of the micro-scratches and healed itself. My front windshield is sadly marred with scratches from the sand which I'll clay and cover with Aquapel when it's spring.
      I think a rock from a dump truck hit my windshield. It's a surface pit and not a scratch. They make kits to fill those in, but Im worried it'll just make things look worse. The two pits aren't huge, and don't appear to have breached the first layer, so I doubt the windshield's integrity is affected. More it looks like there are two pencil tip size pieces of dirt that never go away. Luckily it's on the bottom of the passenger side windshield, so not super noticeable.

Do you think the scratches will come out of your windshield? Sand is quite abrasive. I don't have Xpel on my vehicle. It was a good $1200-$1600 I believe when I looked it up. Quite pricey. I've already got a nice 10 inch scratch on my right passenger door. Either Key, Shopping Cart, or some object... Not thrilled in the least. I dont know much about buffing and body, but I'm guessing 70% is in the clearcoat ad remainder could be lessened. But nothing will come out by hand buffing, as i tried.

Might try to deal with it later. I also have a nice lip rash on my passenger bumper and rocker. Contractors caused that damage and insurance company paid to fix. But can't fathom spending $2000 for a bumper replacement / repaint again + Rocker Replaced / Paint. Did the bumper once to the tune of $1200 bucks and damn thing just got damaged again. Car got backed into, insurance would have only paid a repaint, so I paid the $400 more for a pre painted bumper instead of a sand down and repaint.

Sadly, cars won't stay new and shiny forever. You can't see bumper or rocker scrape unless looking under car so 100% cosmetic. The 10 inch scratch on the door is what kills me. It's the width of a paperclip. Reason I installed Dash Camera with Parking Mode....

Did you buy your 2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar new or used?

Is it pretty easy to apply the Aquapel to the windshield? One application is good for a year? Snow and salt kill windshield wipers. What does rubbing edges with alcohol do? Mine are free to replace but curious about said techniques.
      My detailer did the Aquapel coating for me the first time along with the Xpel wrap job and full ceramic coating. I spent $4k on the entire thing and I think it surely is paying for itself. Salt, grime and dust doesn't normally stick to the body or the wheels and if a little does, it comes right off with my weekly touchless gas station wash.

Aquapel is just a liquid in a test tube which you break, spread it onto your cleaned windshield/glass/mirror and wipe it off immediately. It has amazing water beading capability. You can watch Youtube videos of Aquapel. Pretty simple IMO. I just did it before start of winter (December). Practically, I've noticed it lasts for around 6-8 months. And a 3-pack test tube kit costs around $15 on Amazon (enough for all your Vehicle glass surfaces including RVMs and headlights, if you want).

I just clean the wiper edges out of habit. Use my wife's makeup remover cotton pads, douse it with isopropyl alcohol and run it through the edges of all three wipers. Keeps them physically and chemically clean so they don't scratch the windshields with microscopic dust and salt particles.

Do you think the scratches will come out of your windshield? Sand is quite abrasive.
      Worth a try. I haven't used a claybar ever but it looks pretty straight-forward. There are lot's of almost microscopic scratches which can only be seen under sunlight glare. No visibility issues with the windshield at all.

Did you buy your 2018 V90 CC T6 Polestar new or used?
      It was purchased new in June-end of 2018 from an out-of-state dealership.

My detailer did the Aquapel coating for me the first time along with the Xpel wrap job and full ceramic coating. I spent $4k on the entire thing and I think it surely is paying for itself. Salt, grime and dust doesn't normally stick to the body or the wheels and if a little does, it comes right off with my weekly touchless gas station wash.
      Holy cow. I thought an Xpel wrap was around $1500-2K Tops...4K is a lot to spend. But if you are keeping the car long term, I get your point. I plan on keeping my long term, but can't justify $4,000. I believe Xpel will protect from rock chips and minor things. But if some jackass hits your door or you curb the bumper (...Sigh..Damn Contractors).... it won't save you???

I try to do the touchless washes. I let Volvo wash my car, too. However, I think they tend to swirl the paint / clear coat.

Midwest in general is hard on cars. You in UP of Michigan or what part?

Aquapel is just a liquid in a test tube which you break, spread it onto your cleaned windshield/glass/mirror and wipe it off immediately. It has amazing water beading capability. You can watch Youtube videos of Aquapel. Pretty simple IMO. I just did it before start of winter (December). Practically, I've noticed it lasts for around 6-8 months. And a 3-pack test tube kit costs around $15 on Amazon (enough for all your Vehicle glass surfaces including RVMs and headlights, if you want).

I just clean the wiper edges out of habit. Use my wife's makeup remover cotton pads, douse it with isopropyl alcohol and run it through the edges of all three wipers. Keeps them physically and chemically clean so they don't scratch the windshields with microscopic dust and salt particles.
      Might have to check out some Aquapel. I hate the sludge and salt on the windshield during those nasty snowing and rainy / slushy days. Burn through wiper fluid quickly.

Worth a try. I haven't used a claybar ever but it looks pretty straight-forward. There are lot's of almost microscopic scratches which can only be seen under sunlight glare. No visibility issues with the windshield at all.
      I've heard claybars do wonders. I think this spring I'll invest in a claybar kit and give it a try. Just wish I could fix that nice long scratch first...Might buff out just don't know / trust myself to do it. Don't want to make it worse instead of better by damaging paint...

It was purchased new in June-end of 2018 from an out-of-state dealership.[/QUOTE]

For context, I bought my '17 S60 Polestar as a new (demo) vehicle with 80 miles in October 2018 and looked into extended warranties right after I bought it. It still had less than 1000 miles and was considered a new car while I was gathering pricing info. I spoke with the selling dealer, my local dealer (where I will have it serviced during warranty), and Steingold. Steingold definitely offered the best price on an extended warranty and the rep I spoke with was friendly and informative, albeit pushy as is expected from a car salesperson.

I tend to do my own maintenance so I didn't look much into prepaid maintenance. I'll use the included service and then will pay for services as needed. I don't anticipate driving more than 6,000 miles per year so I expect that my remaining services will last me for at least two more years (selling dealer says they used one due to age on demo car).

I seriously considered a Platinum extended warranty. Due to my expected annual mileage, I was more concerned about the factory warranty timing out. And I worry more about electronic failure than a catastrophic drive train issue (crossing my fingers). For an 8-year/80k Platinum with $0 deductible, I was looking at about $2100 from Steingold.

To clarify for anyone who hasn't actually spoken with one of these warranty companies, if purchased while the car is considered new and has less than 1000 miles, the warranty starts at the time the car is put into service. If you buy a demo like I did, the factory warranty starts when the dealer made it a demo, which was over a year ago. So an 8-year extended warranty overlaps the factory warranty, meaning that I would only really be getting a 4-year/30k extended warranty, depending on my mileage. As long as you look at it as a 4-year/30k mile extended warranty (not 8/80 as in my case), you won't be as disappointed.

I decided to pass once I researched the companies that actually provide the warranty. The number of websites with angry customers is disappointing. I'm sure there are also satisfied clients and I don't doubt that some warranty claims are frivolous, but I was very concerned by the number of cases where the warranty company denied claims for very straightforward issues. Since it's not a Volvo-backed warranty, there's not much goodwill to rely on. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you might get some help if the warranty company is resisting your claim. If not, you might still need to pay for repairs.

This isn't a gripe with Steingold or any other dealer selling an extended warranty. They're retailing a very lucrative (for them) product. I'm just trying to pull back the curtain so everyone can make an educated decision.

And if anyone didn't read the fine print and wants to do their own research, the warranty company Steingold uses is Fidelity Warranty Services.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Swedespeed100 View Post
      Steingold only sells what Volvo Corporate recommends. There are a million different warranty companies out there, but only one backed by Volvo. A few years ago, Volvo worked with “Warrantech” for their VIP Warranty Plans, therefore Steingold sold that plan.

I’ve done some extensive research too, and it seems all the bad press about Fidelity is based on their “own coverage” as they have their own personal warranty plans to sell. The VIP is written by Volvo, but simply administered through Fidelity since the company is so large and can handle the claims. The VIP Plan coverage is MUCH more extensive than the generic Fidelity Plan, so I wouldn’t be worried.

If Volvo chooses to use a different company down the road, rest assured Steingold will switch their plan to follow. Steingold is one of the few dealers that remain close to Volvo Corporate these days, as too many auto groups seem to pitch third-party plans for HUGE profits, or even sell their own dealership warranty.

Long story short, if you want the Volvo branded and backed warranty, the VIP plans through Steingold are the most educated choice for the consumer. And the discounts they offer make it even easier.
      Darn it. I had a whole response typed out and I got logged out. I'll try again.

I don't want to denigrate the VIP warranty if, as you suggest, it's a Volvo-backed warranty. However, none of the dealers I've called for pricing/info have been able to confirm that it's anything other than an aftermarket warranty, including Steingold. Nowhere in the contract or terms/conditions is Volvo mentioned (edit: Yes, it says Volvo VIP warranty at top. Aside from using the name, how does Volvo back the warranty?). If Volvo backs the warranty but has Fidelity administer the claims, I'm still dealing with Fidelity and they have a disappointing reputation. I would welcome an extension of my factory warranty but I'm not finding one. You're purporting that the VIP warranty sold by Steingold is backed by Volvo. If you can provide documentation, I would reconsider purchasing from Steingold.

Thanks!
      Last edited by ThirdCoast; 02-21-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCoast View Post
      Darn it. I had a whole response typed out and I got logged out. I'll try again.

I don't want to denigrate the VIP warranty if, as you suggest, it's a Volvo-backed warranty. However, none of the dealers I've called for pricing/info have been able to confirm that it's anything other than an aftermarket warranty, including Steingold. Nowhere in the contract or terms/conditions is Volvo mentioned (edit: Yes, it says Volvo VIP warranty at top. Aside from using the name, how does Volvo back the warranty?). If Volvo backs the warranty but has Fidelity administer the claims, I'm still dealing with Fidelity and they have a disappointing reputation. I would welcome an extension of my factory warranty but I'm not finding one. You're purporting that the VIP warranty sold by Steingold is backed by Volvo. If you can provide documentation, I would reconsider purchasing from Steingold.

Thanks!
      3rd party warranties are often junk. But I believe since Volvo has backed these warranties underwritten by Fidelity, the concern is much less. Dealers handle fixing something under warranty and submitting claim. I am sure if Fidelity Denied legit claims from Volvo, there'd be push back from Corporate. As others stated, the push back is most likely from plans sold directly by Fidelity and not the Volvo Backed warranty.

The CPO use to be the way to go. 7 yrs / 100K with remaining lifepsan from in service date. I.E. I got 72 months / 98K on mine since car was a little under 1 yr old / 2K miles. The CPO is 100% Volvo. Sadly, Volvo neutered CPO to 5 yrs / unlimited mile from in service date. Not all that great since most demos got a year or so shelf life from in service. Meaning instead of factory 4 yr / 50K... you are spending X amount for 4 yrs / unlimited miles. Which doesn't mean squat to most people who don't drive 25,000 miles / yr.

Hello,
      Can someone help me understand this?
      My dealer quoted me 1500$ for brakes/rotors.
      But when i try to get a quote from steingold site it is showing me 2800 for 5 services with wear and tear.
      I am at 36000 miles can i buy this?
      And does anyone know if i can get 5 services from different locations?(I saw that its valid for all service centers)
      Last edited by S90Flash; 02-26-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S90Flash View Post
      Hello,
      Can someone help me understand this?
      My dealer quoted me 1500$ for brakes/rotors.
      But when i try to get a quote from steingold site it is showing me 2800 for 5 services with wear and tear.
      I am at 36000 miles can i buy this?
      And does anyone know if i can get 5 services from different locations?(I saw that its valid for all service centers)
      You can purchase prepaid maintenance at any time and use at any dealer. There are two options. Prepaid Maintenance (as name states) and Prepaid Maintenance + Wear (Includes Brakes, Rotors, Pads, Wipers). And I believe new program includes replacement keyfob. The wear package ads about $1500 to the price tag if you buy 7 Maintenance 40-100K + Wear. Coming to about $3750 or there about with promo.

I believe if you use the promo code Swedespeed you save $100 others have claimed.

Just thought of updating the thread. I purchased the plan from my local Volvo dealership.

To my surprise, my local dealership not only matched up to the Steingold Volvo's 7-Service plan rate ($2260) but also beat it by a decent margin ($1900). That's less than $270 for each service. So I ended up buying it from my local dealer.

If anyone is looking to buy into the prepaid service plans, I suggest shopping around and maybe get a better deal. No doubt, Steingold offers a great deal, but your local dealership might be able to beat them to keep your business, as in my case!

Just thought of updating the thread. I purchased the plan from my local Volvo dealership.

To my surprise, my local dealership not only matched up to the Steingold Volvo's 7-Service plan rate ($2260) but also beat it by a decent margin ($1900). That's less than $270 for each service. So I ended up buying it from my local dealer.

If anyone is looking to buy into the prepaid service plans, I suggest shopping around and maybe get a better deal. No doubt, Steingold offers a great deal, but your local dealership might be able to beat them to keep your business, as in my case!
      Is that just for service ($1900) or did you add wear (Brakes / rotors / wipers)?

Quote Originally Posted by XC60R-Design View Post
      I think that was an obvious attempt the save service business. The Steingold rates are the highest discounts nationwide, but obviously dealers can make a decision to lose a little profit by selling the plan below cost, to guarantee you coming back for service. Great price for sure, but Steingold still has the best pricing for sure
      Although Steingold rates are one of the best available, that's not to say they do not still maintain a healthy profit-margin over these plans.

My dealer initially quoted the same $2260 and $3883 (with wear items) as Steingold does (as a reply to a generalized "contact us" page that I filled out on their website). That was my Dealership's first offer as well (the same offer we all think of as a great deal) and just one polite email reply later, the service manager came back with the $1900 quote in the next five minutes. And I surely do not think they are losing money on this deal. Not by far.

Maybe my dealership didn't think to fluff-up the quote initially (as many other dealerships do) and came straight to the real price (I'm happy to be a customer of such a no-nonsense dealership if that's the case).

Are they reducing their profit margin while dealing with me? Definitely yes.

Are they taking a loss for keeping me as a customer? Definitely not.

Does Steingold Volvo offer one of the best prices for Volvo VIP contracts? Definitely yes.

Does Steingold Volvo reduce their profit margin to almost nothing while offering us the prices they quote? Definitely not.

Although I would not have the slightest clue about the real base cost of any of the VIP plans Volvo (or for that matter, any OEM) offers, I would be a fool to not understand how businesses are run and how they stay profitable. It's the same reason my eyes don't brighten up when my wife excitedly buys a handbag for a couple of 100 bucks after that 70% discount!

Cheers!

Is that just for service ($1900) or did you add wear (Brakes / rotors / wipers)?
      Just the maintenance plan as that's what I need. I do not wear the "wear items" as much due to my driving habits (pure-Interstate) and would probably go aftermarket (BBK thread on the XC90 sub-forum) if I go through the current set of Brakes discs or pads.

I just posted a similar question in XC90 forum. It seems like at some dealers, service is cheaper than the maintenance plans themselves. Are there actually any benefits from buying these plans?

I was a skeptic, but they talked me into it.

Haven't had the car long enough to use it yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
      I just posted a similar question in XC90 forum. It seems like at some dealers, service is cheaper than the maintenance plans themselves. Are there actually any benefits from buying these plans?
      Generally, dealers run service specials and discounts. If you unbundle the services, they are often cheaper than the "service package". I.E. 50K, 60K, etc. The PrePaid Maintenace Plus Wear for 40-100K was around $3700 in 2016. Seems to be around $3900 now. Best compensation ever... cost me $0 for a major F-Up apology.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-07-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Just the maintenance plan as that's what I need. I do not wear the "wear items" as much due to my driving habits (pure-Interstate) and would probably go aftermarket (BBK thread on the XC90 sub-forum) if I go through the current set of Brakes discs or pads.
      I drive 80% highway. I've gotten one set of Back Brakes / Rotors so far and I'm at 60K. Will definitely request a complete set (front / rear) brakes / rotors before 100K. None the less, I can't gauge value of the plan. Since it cost me $0 as an apology, I'm way ahead since my 30,40,50, and very soon 60K (almost at 60K just haven't been well past week to deal with it). And then those brakes / rotors.

It's allowed me to build a report with the dealer since I have them do all warranty work and maintenance. So when something happens, they go to bat for me and generally replace parts without much fuss.

Prepaid maintenance is one of the most sensible options if you keep your car for a long time. Unlike a warranty, it's pretty much built in guaranteed savings as you're definitely going to use the service. I've found dealers with higher labor rates tend to have higher prices for the prepaid maintenance (as they can justify greater savings). It also comes with key replacement once a year, which is nice. Brakes... you can just have them done twice with the 100k whether they need it or not and you'll have a great vehicle but you can just pay as you go too.

As for XPEL... yuck. I never cared for any of these products. I'd personally rather have a car with a few chips than the film, and the pricing is way too expensive for what you get IMO. I had a car done recently with 3m for a customer and the price was around $1300 for bumpers, partial hood and fenders, headlights, mirror caps, and we got the door cups done too. I didn't even mark it up any and had to drive 45 minutes each way twice to get the car there and back... It just seemed too expensive for what you get and if something isn't perfect (which it never will be) there is a risk the customer will reject the work.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      Prepaid maintenance is one of the most sensible options if you keep your car for a long time. Unlike a warranty, it's pretty much built in guaranteed savings as you're definitely going to use the service. I've found dealers with higher labor rates tend to have higher prices for the prepaid maintenance (as they can justify greater savings). It also comes with key replacement once a year, which is nice. Brakes... you can just have them done twice with the 100k whether they need it or not and you'll have a great vehicle but you can just pay as you go too.

As for XPEL... yuck. I never cared for any of these products. I'd personally rather have a car with a few chips than the film, and the pricing is way too expensive for what you get IMO. I had a car done recently with 3m for a customer and the price was around $1300 for bumpers, partial hood and fenders, headlights, mirror caps, and we got the door cups done too. I didn't even mark it up any and had to drive 45 minutes each way twice to get the car there and back... It just seemed too expensive for what you get and if something isn't perfect (which it never will be) there is a risk the customer will reject the work.
      Maintenance Plan doesn't always make sense.

1. Depending on Prices (Market Variances), and coupon offers by dealers, sometimes you can save more by paying a la carte. Or unbundling the services done to car.

2. I'd recommend people price out the services individually (and also the cost of unbundling) to see if plan makes sense.

One thing the Prepaid does get you is a report with dealer. So that if there are problems, the dealer knows you and the vehicle. And is more likely to go to bat if a problem arises.

Maintenance Plan doesn't always make sense.

1. Depending on Prices (Market Variances), and coupon offers by dealers, sometimes you can save more by paying a la carte. Or unbundling the services done to car.

2. I'd recommend people price out the services individually (and also the cost of unbundling) to see if plan makes sense.

One thing the Prepaid does get you is a report with dealer. So that if there are problems, the dealer knows you and the vehicle. And is more likely to go to bat if a problem arises.
      It always makes sense if you've done the math. Obviously if you're paying more than you would for service otherwise it wouldn't save anything, however, in order to sell it you have to make it a value. I can't say I've had many Volvo customers who just say yes to everything. Frankly they're generally able to front unexpected bills and service without issue, so you have to make it make real sense. I've not sure what you mean by "unbundling".

As for report.. sure it does... especially if you buy it from your dealer. But even if you didn't, the dealer that services is is going to get paid for the service, just by Volvo rather than you. The selling dealer only makes the markup on the prepaid aspect.

It always makes sense if you've done the math. Obviously if you're paying more than you would for service otherwise it wouldn't save anything, however, in order to sell it you have to make it a value. I can't say I've had many Volvo customers who just say yes to everything. Frankly they're generally able to front unexpected bills and service without issue, so you have to make it make real sense. I've not sure what you mean by "unbundling".
      The math used by dealers is over inflated....

https://www.steingold.com/factory-sc...e-upgrades.htm

Steingold lists the proposed cost of 30-100K Maintenance with Wipers + 2 Sets of Brakes & Rotors at $7088.40

That figure doesn't take into account that many dealers run 10-25% off service coupons. Not everyone will go through 2 sets of brakes and rotor. Heck, I' at 60K with prepaid maintenance and ONLY NOW got a set of back brakes and rotors! I'll be requesting a WHOLE NEW SET of both before the prepaid expires. I drive lots of highway vs. City, which accounts for my lack of wear.

A second argument is value. The Prepaid Maintenance + Wear for 30-100K is $3933. Take $200 with SwedeSpeed and it's 3733. Paying out that money all at once deprives one of being able to invest said sum and negate any "savings" and "inflation" the prepaid maintenance might offer.

Now I do have one question that I never thought to ask. Is there a time limit on using the prepaid maintenance? I.E. Must one use the 30-100K + wear within 7 years. Or do they stay good until you utilize them all and reach 100K? As not everyone drives like a road warrior.

Unbundling = Oil Change, and any maintenance price out individually as opposed to the "40K package, 50k package, etc"

As for report.. sure it does... especially if you buy it from your dealer. But even if you didn't, the dealer that services is is going to get paid for the service, just by Volvo rather than you. The selling dealer only makes the markup on the prepaid aspect.
      Building report is building report. Whether the dealer sells the contract or you buy later on. The servicing dealer gets paid for performing the maintenance.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-07-2019 at 05:35 PM.

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements