Another s80 t6 with trans woes, although different.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Another s80 t6 with trans woes, although different.

Hello all

I recently acquired a nice s80 in good shape save the transmission. I knew this going in. I'm a mechanic so rebuilding or replacing it is not off the table at all.

However, if I can get it to behave that's obvious preferably.

Symptoms:

In D:

1-2 shift is late and very rough.

2-3 shift involves a flare and settles into gear veeeeery slowly. If I let go of the gas and re-apply it helps it to "settle" more quickly. Up to 2500-3000rpm it holds ok but then quickly slips almost asif in N.

The 3-4 shift, when babied in is not as slow as the 2-3 shift. About 2/3 of the time it holds 4th fine, the heavier I'm accelerating the less likely it is to hold 4th gear. It will slip like it's in N but has a bit more "grip" than in 3rd. If I let off the gas and re-apply it holds 4th well and I can floor it and it holds (untill it downshifts in 3rd and slips like crazy).

3rd is the worst gear. 4th is inconsistent.

If I use Geartronic it holds and pulls well in 1st and 2nd (with a very late and hard shift) then into third is just not possible at anything pas half throttle, nor 4th.

The behaviour to me just isn't consistent with mechanical failure in my eyes. I just reset as much as I could using VIDA. When for a short drive, things are a little better but too soon to say. 3rd gear is not better.

I have no trans codes (had one relating to Engine RPM not matching trans RPM, the slipping)

The fluid is fresh and not burnt, although it's been replaced recently as this transmission was recently installed apparently. I've driven it about a week. I let off when it slips to avoid damage, but the fluid must be taking a beating but it's good.

Thoughts?
      2004 V40 1.8 n/a
      2000 v70 2.4t auto
      1993 245 b230fk, minor mods
      1981 244 b23ET 3" catless
      1967 Volvo Amazon Combi T5 2.3 20v project
      1962 Volvo Amazon 121 v6 supercharged 5spd project

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

solenoids

hi, to problems with shifting with your trany there is more options. i am assuming you have aw55-50/51 trany. common problems are due to linear solenoids. in time they got dirty with metal powder residue as they are electromagnets. you can get new ones from rostra or sonnax. you can find them on rockauto.com. they come with instructions how to instal them and adjust the pressure if needed according the shift behavior. in your case i would also replace the other 5 small solenoids, as each have some of the system pressures to work with. as long as your clutches and gears are not damaged, this should solve the shifting problems. it did in mine. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by newtovolvo66 View Post
      hi, to problems with shifting with your trany there is more options. i am assuming you have aw55-50/51 trany. common problems are due to linear solenoids. in time they got dirty with metal powder residue as they are electromagnets. you can get new ones from rostra or sonnax. you can find them on rockauto.com. they come with instructions how to instal them and adjust the pressure if needed according the shift behavior. in your case i would also replace the other 5 small solenoids, as each have some of the system pressures to work with. as long as your clutches and gears are not damaged, this should solve the shifting problems. it did in mine. good luck
      not an aw55-50/51

it's the GM box

thanks
      2004 V40 1.8 n/a
      2000 v70 2.4t auto
      1993 245 b230fk, minor mods
      1981 244 b23ET 3" catless
      1967 Volvo Amazon Combi T5 2.3 20v project
      1962 Volvo Amazon 121 v6 supercharged 5spd project

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements