Volvo reliability: J. D. Power shows it at about rock-bottom
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Volvo reliability: J. D. Power shows it at about rock-bottom

New 2019 J. D. Power reliability survey out, covering 2016 cars. Main news is that midrange cars are way more reliable than electronics-laden luxury cars--no surprise--and a minor note is that Volvo finished just above Range Rover and third from the very bottom of the reliability list (as far as I can tell).

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/b...y-jd-powerhtml

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Perhaps. But so far on this site I haven't seen anything that I would consider a "reliability issue" or what would turn me away from Volvo. Stuff like slow bootup of Sensus or rear camera response time or difficulty linking to external signal sources I don't consider items of concern. Likewise complaints about the response of the 2.0 liter 4 cylinder seem to be more about it not being a 6 cylinder than it not moving the car (I came out of a 345 hp hemi powered Jeep...and the performance of the Volvo powertrain is just fine in my opinion). Wasn't 2016 the debut year for the new architecture? I think I would put J.D.Power's rating significance just slightly above that of Consumer Reports.

Volvo`s bribe to JD Power wasn`t enough

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I started questioning the objectiveness of the JD Power surveys when I was shopping for my previous car. I was poking around the lot on a Sunday (dealer closed) and ran across some cars that must have just been taken of the transporter. Inside some of the cars (not all), was a red card sitting on the dash, that said "Attention: This is a JD Power Vehicle". Now what could that mean? I'm thinking that the person who buys this one was going to get that big-ass survey, so the dealer would prep it with the utmost attention. Now, obviously design and build and electronics flaws are not going to be affected by that, but it suggested to me that the whole thing isn't as above board as they want us all to believe.
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by .LMS. View Post
      I started questioning the objectiveness of the JD Power surveys when I was shopping for my previous car. I was poking around the lot on a Sunday (dealer closed) and ran across some cars that must have just been taken of the transporter. Inside some of the cars (not all), was a red card sitting on the dash, that said "Attention: This is a JD Power Vehicle". Now what could that mean? I'm thinking that the person who buys this one was going to get that big-ass survey, so the dealer would prep it with the utmost attention. Now, obviously design and build and electronics flaws are not going to be affected by that, but it suggested to me that the whole thing isn't as above board as they want us all to believe.
      Jd power and the others base the surveys off of when you buy it. I work for Hyundai and we go crazy when it's IQS(initial quality season) so we are making sure the cars are perfect, because those buyers will be getting the surveys.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

we are making sure the cars are perfect
      Apparently Volvo didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Apparently Volvo didn't.
      Haha yep, and yet we keep buying them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

JD, much like consumer reports, often bases reliability off of basically anything that is a problem, even if they are minor or dumb. Ford got beat up a few years ago because a bunch of dumb dumbs couldn’t figure out the mysync system. It reminds me of when I was reading reviews for a TV I bought about 7 years ago. The TV only had 2 HDMI ports, clearly advertised that it only had 2 HDMI ports and people gave it 1 or 2 stars because it only had 2 HDMI ports. Volvo has certainly had some hiccups along the way with the new platform, but I’d love to hear what is considered a reliability issue.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by xSpecBx View Post
      JD, much like consumer reports, often bases reliability off of basically anything that is a problem, even if they are minor or dumb. Ford got beat up a few years ago because a bunch of dumb dumbs couldn’t figure out the mysync system. It reminds me of when I was reading reviews for a TV I bought about 7 years ago. The TV only had 2 HDMI ports, clearly advertised that it only had 2 HDMI ports and people gave it 1 or 2 stars because it only had 2 HDMI ports. Volvo has certainly had some hiccups along the way with the new platform, but I’d love to hear what is considered a reliability issue.
      From the CR 2018 annual guide, based on owner reliability reports, the 2016 XC90 has severe problems with in-car electronics, problems with noises and leaks, and issues with the climate system. If you look across the board at Volvos over time (they give years 2011-2016 in the 2018 guide), one sees the same problems across models and model years.

Quote Originally Posted by cometguy View Post
      From the CR 2018 annual guide, based on owner reliability reports, the 2016 XC90 has severe problems with in-car electronics, problems with noises and leaks, and issues with the climate system. If you look across the board at Volvos over time (they give years 2011-2016 in the 2018 guide), one sees the same problems across models and model years.
      Maybe we're just lucky than, but our 2013 S60 has had what I would consider minor issues (battery failed a couple times under warranty, rear door lock failed and required replacement) and our 2016 XC90 had some minor sensus issues early on, but has been fine for the last couple years. I know there are people out there who had have numerous problems with their vehicles in the shop for multiple trips spanning months, but I still don't put much stock in how this data is collected.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package

And yet Volvo is tied with Lexus for the top spot in customer satisfaction?? It seems to me that customer satisfaction is a more valuable gauge than this. Quantitatively Volvo may have more issues, some small and some not so small, but it hasn’t kept most of us from loving our vehicles!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

So of every 100 vehicles, no brand has fewer than 100 problems and the worst brands have 250 problems.

I have to wonder what constitutes a "problem" with those statistics.
      2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD | Osmium Grey / Charcoal | Convenience Package, Bowers & Wilkins, HUD, Rear Air Suspension, Polestar Optimization
      Past: 1995 Volvo 854 T-5R | 2001 Volvo V70 XC 2.4T AWD | 2007 Volvo XC70 2.5T AWD | 2015 V60 T6 AWD R-Design
      Family History: 1983 Volvo 245 | 1987 Volvo 744 Turbo | 1993 Volvo 854 | 2001 Volvo S80 T6 | 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD | 2013 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD | 2015.5 Volvo S60 Cross Country

I have to wonder what constitutes a "problem" with those statistics.
      If you read threads on this forum, there are some pretty picky squeaks, rattles, perceived tire imbalances, slow Sensus boots, glare shield debonding and a lot of other stuff that seems to constitute "problems" to many Volvo enthusiasts. I'm not saying these aren't legitimate gripes, just that there is a huge range of perceived problems some of which wouldn't even enter the consciousness of less perceptive owners, others of which enrage perfectionists. Depending on who is filling out the J D Power surveys, I am sure they are all considered problems.

So there is no need to "wonder what constitutes a problem." Like the princess and the pea, it's whatever bothers an owner/lessor.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      If you read threads on this forum, there are some pretty picky squeaks, rattles, perceived tire imbalances, slow Sensus boots, glare shield debonding and a lot of other stuff that seems to constitute "problems" to many Volvo enthusiasts. I'm not saying these aren't legitimate gripes, just that there is a huge range of perceived problems some of which wouldn't even enter the consciousness of less perceptive owners, others of which enrage perfectionists. Depending on who is filling out the J D Power surveys, I am sure they are all considered problems.

So there is no need to "wonder what constitutes a problem." Like the princess and the pea, it's whatever bothers an owner/lessor.
      The link below talks about how ford got killed by JD Power and Consumer reports for their My Sync system due to poor performance. Quote from the article:

"IQS used to mean things that broke but now it also includes subjective, touchy-feely issues such as brake dust, road noise, size of dashboard buttons, or ease of using a touchscreen."

Without seeing the data or a better breakdown of it, its hard to tell what any of this really means. Also would like to know what the sample size is. For a smaller manufacturer, they're going to be at a disadvantage if the sample size is the same.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...lost-ford-sync
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements