What if I were to install Brembo brakes...
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

What if I were to install Brembo brakes...

Hey guys. Today I woke up and decided I need Brembo brakes on my S40. (Because why not?) They would look amazing and perform way better than the stock brakes. Has anyone done this on a Volvo s40 08 (or similar) and if so, any recommendations? I don't know what size I'd need and whether or not the stock rims would be able to fit without touching the calipers. Let me know, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Banned
      Most brake manufactures have a template that you can download from their website, or open in PDF, so you can print it, then cut it out and place it on the inside of your wheel (off the car), to see if the caliper will clear your spokes. Or rather if the spokes will clear the caliper.

Something else to think about is this, your brakes will only perform as good as your tires are. If you have old dry rotted tires that wont grip the road then your fancy fade resistant brakes won't mean much during hard or emergency braking while your tires are slipping.

Throw 320mm's on if you don't and HP+ or equivalent pads. They'll stop harder than you will ever need to.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Wheel size will be important. No matter whatever brakes you go with. Since you don't elaborate on what trim level your car is, we are all guessing. I agree that if you don't already have the 320 mm brakes, just get those. I've owned a lot of cars and these are pretty much the best I've had. Why spend money on after market brakes when there is stock stuff that'll be very good and more affordable. Then you'll have more money for other upgrades

Hey guys, thank you all for the replies. It's an S40 T5 AWD. Does anyone have any links to calipers that would look good and also perform good? Thanks!

Putting brakes on just for show is a huge waste of money IMO. Get some 320s if you don't have them already, and decent pads as Jirv said. I recommend the Porterfield R4-S.
      2007 S40 T5 AWD

I retro'd 320's on my 09 V50 T5 and was really impressed with the stopping power. They're single piston and not red so there a bit boring but there's no question they perform really well. Additional benefit is that the switch uses all factory parts so it's all plug and play.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VivaLaVIDA View Post
      Hey guys. Today I woke up and decided I need Brembo brakes on my S40. (Because why not?) They would look amazing and perform way better than the stock brakes. Has anyone done this on a Volvo s40 08 (or similar) and if so, any recommendations? I don't know what size I'd need and whether or not the stock rims would be able to fit without touching the calipers. Let me know, thanks!

by "brembo brakes" i get that you are talking about some serious retro mod? (floating discs, multi piston calipers?) as you can just put Brembo-made parts in your stock setup (like I did, Brembo discs and rear pads) but I think thats not what you are after?
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

Hey guys, thank you for all the replies. I am looking into the 320's. And yea, I'm talking the calipers, rotors, and pads. I looked at the Evolve Volvo website and they seem to have some wilwood brake calipers specifically for the S40 2005+. Would those be any good? I understand that the brakes will work well with the 320's but if I can the calipers to look nice too, that's part of the point. Also, if there are wilwood calipers available, I not sure why Brembos wouldn't be (and no, ofcourse I am not looking for some Brembo Big brake Kit or anything over the top)?

Hey guys, thank you for all the replies. I am looking into the 320's. And yea, I'm talking the calipers, rotors, and pads. I looked at the Evolve Volvo website and they seem to have some wilwood brake calipers specifically for the S40 2005+. Would those be any good? I understand that the brakes will work well with the 320's but if I can the calipers to look nice too, that's part of the point. Also, if there are wilwood calipers available, I not sure why Brembos wouldn't be (and no, ofcourse I am not looking for some Brembo Big brake Kit or anything over the top)?

Look for MNIWT's build thread post (user: MyNameIdeasWereTaken), afair he fitted wilwoods to his C30 and it looked insane you may get some ideas from there.
      Titanium Grey 2005 V50, T5AWD, M66, Stage 1 Hilton tune<-Click me
      E-Focus Torque mount, E-46 bi-xenon retrofit (see the PDF for pictures and full story) , de-nanny mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads

You could have a look at these- http://www.cardone.com/products/brak...lored-calipers . I've not confirmed whether or not they're available for your specific vehicle. I did use their non-color coated "ultra" calipers when I did the 320mm upgrade and they've been great. As they came out of the box the weatherproof coating is nearly chrome so I painted mine a gray similar to my car color.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by speedygw; 02-25-2019 at 03:15 PM.

I have been looking into doing Brembo fix calipers on the front of my P1 Volvo (07 V50 T5 AWD M66). It came with Wilwoods on them but I don't care for them and pulled them and will sell them at some point. I put the 320 oem set up one from a parts car I have. They work great and will do for now. There are two different paths I've been exploring.

1) 2016 focus RS Brembo
      2) 2004 Volvo S60 R Brembo

The focus RS 350mm rotors fit right to the P1 hub assembly. The RS big blue calipers line up with the hole pattern on the P1 steering knuckle but I had to ream the ~13mm holes to ~14mm. Once I did this the caliper bolted right up. It caliper is in the correct location as far as diameter but sits too far outboard vs rotor. Taking a 5mm wheel shim and milling down to about 2mm will put the rotor in the correct location.

It looked like I would need 19" wheels to make this set up work. Maybe can get away with 18" but I didn't check.

The S60 R is the route is what I'm working on. Use the rear calipers on the front by having some offset brackets made up to bolt up the calipers in the correct location to the rotor. Had some brackets made out of plastic and they turned out to be in the correct location for a test fit. Just have to have some made out of aluminum for testing. This is tougher to work out vs the focus RS but I am going to try this route.
      Last edited by J5T; 04-17-2020 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J5T View Post
      I have been looking into doing Brembo fix calipers on the front of my P1 Volvo (07 V50 T5 AWD M66). It came with Wilwoods on them but I don't care for them and pulled them and will sell them at some point. I put the 320 oem set up one from a parts car I have. They work great and will do for now. There are two different paths I've been exploring.

1) 2016 focus RS Brembo
      2) 2004 Volvo S60 R Brembo

The focus RS 350mm rotors fit right to the P1 hub assembly. The RS big blue calipers line up with the hole pattern on the P1 steering knuckle but I had to ream the ~13mm holes to ~14mm. Once I did this the caliper bolted right up. It caliper is in the correct location as far as diameter but sits too far outboard vs rotor. Taking a 5mm wheel shim and milling down to about 2mm will put the rotor in the correct location.

I looked like I would need 19" wheels to make this set up work. Maybe can get away with 18" but I didn't check.

The S60 R is the route is what I'm working on. Use the rear calipers on the front by having some offset brackets made up to bolt up the calipers in the correct location to the rotor. Had some brackets made out of plastic and they turned out to be in the correct location for a test fit. Just have to have some made out of aluminum for testing. This is tougher to work out vs the focus RS but I am going to try this route.
      Interesting, thank you for sharing this. I actually was looking at a video of someone on YouTube installing those blue Brembo brake calipers you were talking about on his RS. Even on the RS he needed spacers (and the brakes were built for the car!). I thought for sure they would mount up nicely with the S40's mounting points but clearly I'm mistaken. I didn't realize it would be this hard to find brembos that would universally fit ( isnt't there standards for sizing of calipers etc lol). I know many are asking for me to try those 320's but man those brembos would look so nice though!

I wondered how hard it would be to get the Brembos off a Focus RS and install on a P1. Seems like it would be an easy swap.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

image.jpgThe RS Brembo calipers fit the mounting points on the P1 steering knuckle once you opening up the mounting holes. Everything lines up except the rotor is about 2mm too far inboard. In the picture the RS caliper with the RS 350mm rotor are attached to a P1 steering knuckle. This is way easier to fit than the S60r caliper I am working now.

Sorry I couldn't get attachment to work the first couple of times.
      Last edited by J5T; 03-03-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Also, I did not drill the mounting holes for the caliper. I used adjustable hand reamer and would expand it slightly as the hole got bigger. This allows for expanding the hole while the steering knuckle is on the vehicle. With a wheel 5mm shim ground to about 2mm fitted to the hub before sliding the RS 350mm rotor on, everything lines up. Bolt the big blue caliper on and all set. The reason the caliper looks new is because it was cheaper to buy a new one from dealer than used on car-part.com. I just do not want to get the bigger diameter wheels so I am trying the S60r caliper route. Anywho, glück!

Quote Originally Posted by J5T View Post
      The RS Brembo calipers fit the mounting points on the P1 steering knuckle once you opening up the mounting holes. Everything lines up except the rotor is about 2mm too far inboard. In the picture the RS caliper with the RS 350mm rotor are attached to a P1 steering knuckle. This is way easier to fit than the S60r caliper I am working now. Attachment 48907
      Hi JT5, thank you for the response! It looks like the attachment is not opening properly for some reason? I'm unable to see the picture but I'd love to so I have an idea. Also, does this work for the brakes in the rear as well? Thanks!

See if this works...

Attachment 48915

Also would like to say if anyone is interested, that I did buy a new RS steering knuckle to see if it was interchangeable with the P1. It was not.

I am not sure what it would cost to have a machine shop take 5mm spacers down to ~2mm since I did not go this far but the one machine shop told me to come on in and it would most likely be about U$100 for four of them. The spacers would have to be the smaller diameter ones to fit under the RS rotor hat. the first set I bought the diameter was too big and would not fit.

I am guessing that at some point someone (maybe even you VivaLaVIDA) on here will be rolling their P1 with the big blue RS calipers. I also found out at Ford dealer these come in the colour gray.

hi, i've a p1 volvo which is a 1.6D se sport 2006 p1, has discs all around that are 276 i think? i can't recall off the top of my head but i wish do to the same upgrade to my brakes.
      i have 18inch alloys ava Miami and having these smaller discs brakes now look so small behind my newer bigger alloys. Is it possible to do what you have done above with my car as it has smaller brakes? as i've seen now an all the forms everyone has either a t5 or d3,d4 or d5. no one has a 1.6D that they want to do a big brake setup on. i'm not racing my car not looking for mad power full braking but just something to look nice behind the alloys. any ideas what i could do? is my steering knuckle the same as your p1 volvo in a t5 or d4,d5? if i have to drill my knuckle from a m12 to an m14 i do not mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RuFo View Post
      hi, i've a p1 volvo which is a 1.6D se sport 2006 p1, has discs all around that are 276 i think? i can't recall off the top of my head but i wish do to the same upgrade to my brakes.
      i have 18inch alloys ava Miami and having these smaller discs brakes now look so small behind my newer bigger alloys. Is it possible to do what you have done above with my car as it has smaller brakes? as i've seen now an all the forms everyone has either a t5 or d3,d4 or d5. no one has a 1.6D that they want to do a big brake setup on. i'm not racing my car not looking for mad power full braking but just something to look nice behind the alloys. any ideas what i could do? is my steering knuckle the same as your p1 volvo in a t5 or d4,d5? if i have to drill my knuckle from a m12 to an m14 i do not mind.
      I would think that the steering knuckles would be the same for the diesels. However, we don't have these here in Canada and USA. You should be able to check at you local Volvo dealer to see if part numbers match for both the diesel and other P1 vehicles. If so you can do this upgrade as discribed. I did not complete the RS upgrade but it is easily doable. Glück and keep us posted.

You can get CEIKA brakes, designed to fit the P1 chassis. Variety of caliper & rotor sizes. You can also get radial mount Brembos (Porche, etc.,) and make adaptor brackets that create the desired offset over the rotor.

I transferred the 6-pot F & R CIEKA's from my V70, so way overkill for only K16-power, but they will stop on a dime.

Not hard to make angle brackets for radial mount brembos, that's what I did first on my old Volvo.

None of this is meaningful just for looks, the stock brakes are fine for stock performance levels.

Thank you all for your input! I am possibly going to buy the Focus RS Brembos and we'll see what happens from there. It will be sometime in the near future (next few months). Now, question is, how about the rear brakes? Does the Focus RS brakes come with the rear? Any other options for the rear besides stock? Thank you all!

If you put the Brembos on the front why not take your stock front calipers and put them on the rear.
      2007 V50 T5 AWD M66 ~ Custom machined weighted shiftknob powdercoated wrinkle polstarblue, Custom pod filter intake, Muffler delete, 18" Pegasus IPD Reps, EBC redstuff pads, EBC blank rotors.

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Jirv0id View Post
      If you put the Brembos on the front why not take your stock front calipers and put them on the rear.
      What about the parking break?
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedRidingHood View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Jirv0id View Post
      What about the parking break?
      Because racecar.

Thank you all for your input! I am possibly going to buy the Focus RS Brembos and we'll see what happens from there. It will be sometime in the near future (next few months). Now, question is, how about the rear brakes? Does the Focus RS brakes come with the rear? Any other options for the rear besides stock? Thank you all!

The RS doesn't come with the fixed caliper Brembo brakes on the rear. Except for the RS Blue colour the rear caliper they look pretty much the same as the rear calipers on your car now. The parking brake system will be difficult to set up if you are looking to go this route. Also you will need to figure out what fixed caliper can work on the rear. Some systems have a aftermarket parking brake caliper only added in addition to the brake caliper. It can be done but I have not looked into this. Glück.

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements