SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Best Dashcam

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  obiwan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

i have seen some post here on where best to place your dashcam
And aslo some about the blackvue Dr750 dashcam, but this one is really expensive

Could you name me some dashcams which work fine on your xc90, front and rear, and are not as expensive as the blackvue?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Check out Viofo. Highly regarded in the Dashcam circles. I am planning to have their A129 Duo installed in my V90CC. Also, research YouTube for Dashcam reviews at your price-point. Depending on whether you need just a basic quality front/back recording or a full-HD/4k front/back with a parking mode, your price-point will differ.

I found the following YouTube video really helpful in understanding what to look for in a Dashcam and everything related to them. It's a very long video though.

#3 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Viofo are great cameras. I have an a119 installed to the right of the intelisafe box (and a uniden r3 to the left of it). If I were to do a rear camera I would just buy 2, a119. Because you can hardwire to the front fuse box for the front cam and the rear fuse box for the rear one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I have a Blackview 950S installed in another car. Yes, it is expensive! It only supports two WiFi connections so connectivity is VERY limited. But the video quality is excellent. I spent a ton to get a 100GB SD card and Celllink Battery Neo to provide power during parking without draining the car battery.

The Owl camera is popular, but there is a monthly subscription fee if you want cell service and its rear camera records everything happening inside the car since it does not have a separate rear camera.

#6 ·
Viofo A129 Duo, great brand for the buck and the A129 covers front and rear being a 2 channel system.

I choose to not power it off the cars main battery for parking mode use so I purchased a Cellink NEO pack with expansion modules for 2+ day parking mode full time recording. I've got Viofo's in both my vehicles and caught a hit and run that happened in the Escalade while parked. Sent the video to my insurance company and they got the other drivers insurance to cover everything 100%. If not for the video, I'd have just come out, saw the damage and had no other recourse but to pay my own deductible. Instead I paid no deductible and his insurance had to pay everything. I only with I could have pushed it far enough that the police could have got involved from his state and cost him either more money or his license. The nerve of some people to just leave after hitting someone else's vehicle without a care in the world.

#7 ·
I searched hi and low for the right camera. I tried the OwlCam, as I am interested in a camera that runs on the OBD port and does not require installation with the fuse box. However, it has the most annoying feature of turning on the bright LED in the cabin when you open the door. I returned it. I ended up purchasing the HaloCam C1 Plus. It's not very well known but meets my requirements: OBD port plug in, no screen, parking monitor if vehicle is bumped. Plus it has GPS feature, portable wifi to connect to it via it's own app, and picture/video quality has been very good.

https://www.amazon.com/HaloCam-C1-P...words=halocam&qid=1551462931&s=gateway&sr=8-2

I may end up upgrading when I find another suitable dashcam that meets my needs, but this has been very good so far.

#11 ·
My Owlcam stopped working about June 3, 2020. Calls to support are never answered. Google search indicates Owlcam is out of business.

Does anyone have information?
Update: Owl Cameras has a new lease on life. As of May 19, 2020, CallPass announced it has acquired the Owl Cameras business and is beginning to restore support to users cut adrift when Owl Cameras, Inc. dissolved rather untidily earlier this year (see original news story below for more on that). Existing Owl customers should have received a notification via their app or email.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/352...ught-its-expensive-dash-cam-are-in-limbo.html

It seems they are trying to revive the brand.

Happy Driving

#12 · (Edited)
I know the Blackvue DR750S is expensive but how much have you spent on your Volvo already? And if it catches just one hit and run it more than pays for itself. For me the peace of mind knowing the parking mode is running is worth it alone.

I installed the Blackvue DR750S 2-CH with the Power Magic Pro that is hardwired into the fuse panel in the passenger footwell. I was using a hotspot hard-wired to the power magic pro so that I could use the cloud features. I have found that the cloud connection is unstable and I constantly get connected-disconnected alerts to my phone making it useless. On the other hand, the parking mode is awesome and I feel so much more comfortable leaving the XC90 parked on the street knowing that I will have some recourse if it gets damaged. The Power Magic Pro shuts the cameras off if the cars battery gets too low which seems to take many days. Just remember that with a 32G Blackvue memory card you only have about 2 days to 1.5 days of footage. So if you don't walk around your car to check for damage regularly you could end up with no footage of the damage occurring. I have ordered a Delkin 128GB Select microSDXC which is compatible and only $30 to make sure I have almost a week of footage.

Be prepared to spend some time getting it functioning the way you want. Lots of settings and options

#14 ·
I know the Blackvue DR750S is expensive ... And if it catches just one hit and run it more than pays for itself. For me the peace of mind knowing the parking mode is running is worth it alone.
++1
DR750S, ~$300
DR900S, ~$420 (higher resolution)
My deductible is $500 and I got two DR900S. I had two incidents (not my fault) and the DR900S paid itself off by proving others were at fault, saving me from paying the deductible. Would highly recommend the DR900S without hesitation and there is Swedespeed thread on Blackvue XC90 installations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.