Key Fob wear and tear
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Key Fob wear and tear

So, I wasn't very happy with the pleather covering on the stock keys, so I shelled out a few hundred bucks for the wood key, and have been extremely unimpressed with the build quality and wear characteristics of the fob. After only a few weeks of use, it started to degrade, and after a few months it looks like it's been carried through a war zone in a pocket full of nails and broken glass and razor blades. Anyone else unhappy with the build quality of their fobs? There is almost 0 actual metal on the darn thing, just black plastic that someone used a shake can full of somewhat metallic paint on from the looks of it!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Same here. If you look at the key wrong, paint will chip off.

Whenever I have the key in my pocket, it’s on a key ring with only two other keys: a house key and an office key, which doesn’t seem too unreasonable.

And yet, 7,500 miles later my key looks very similar to what you describe.

The benefit of the basic black key shell (Momentum trim) is it looks like-new 10 months later.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

DSLRKIT Carbon Fiber Remote Key Shell for VOLVO 2016 XC90 T5 T6 T8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY9IJPO..._520ECbW8MB443

Looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ”Adventure may hurt you but monotony will kill you.”

After 9 months my fob still looks brand new. It always goes in my right front pocket by itself.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription, Thunder Grey Metallic, Polestar Optimized
      traded - 2019 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design with Polestar Optimization, Bursting Blue Metallic
      first Volvo - 1985 740 GLE sedan

Quote Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
      After 9 months my fob still looks brand new. It always goes in my right front pocket by itself.
      Are you wearing some sort of bespoke trousers with pockets lined in crushed velvet? Do you have any other keys attached to the fob? I'm 90% sure the additional keys are what is chewing up my fob, but at the same time, Volvo should recognize that they've included a freaking attachment point on the fob for other keys, so maybe the fob should be designed to be in the presence of other keys without disintegrating....

yup fob's are pretty cheaply made. I wish they didn't use the silver spray paint. It starts flaking the first month. That said, I now only carry the little key and remote operate if needed through my phone.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Hmmm. Black leather wrapped fob looks pretty good with no special care. Have about 6 other keys and I just sort of sling it around.
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

This may sound stupid and overly obsessive but i've started to carry my sport key everywhere and only use my actual key fob when I'm going out to a special occasion or event. My fob still pretty much looks new.

My wife's fob looks like new 8 months in.
      Mine does not, because I dropped it twice
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      This may sound stupid and overly obsessive but i've started to carry my sport key everywhere and only use my actual key fob when I'm going out to a special occasion or event. My fob still pretty much looks new.
      Just a note of warning:

I too only used the sport key and one time I was running on fumes and went into a gas station and the freaking gas cover wouldn’t open! I called VOC figuring they could open it but NOOOOOO. the only solution was to leave the car, lock it WITH the remote and unlock it WITH the remote! Locking and unlocking by touching the handle wouldn’t work! Fortunately my wife was with me and had the large remote. Since then I use the full remote more than the tag.

Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
      Just a note of warning:

I too only used the sport key and one time I was running on fumes and went into a gas station and the freaking gas cover wouldn’t open! I called VOC figuring they could open it but NOOOOOO. the only solution was to leave the car, lock it WITH the remote and unlock it WITH the remote! Locking and unlocking by touching the handle wouldn’t work! Fortunately my wife was with me and had the large remote. Since then I use the full remote more than the tag.

Same thing happened to me fortunately I still had enough gas to go home and go back the gas station. At the time though, I was very confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note of warning:

Quote Originally Posted by volvoxc9008 View Post
      Same thing happened to me fortunately I still had enough gas to go home and go back the gas station. At the time though, I was very confused.
      Thanks for bringing this up here! I didn't know this.
      Was going to lend the car to my uncle for a day with the "sport key" next month. Now I know to fuel it up beforehand!
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Is this by design?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just a note of warning:

But the fuel cap in XC60 does not lock. Maybe you have and XC90
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by savolvo View Post
      I do indeed have an XC90 and thought the 60 had the same system.

What do you mean? The fuel filler flap has a locking mechanism. It won't open unless you unlock the car..

Yes I have a ‘19 XC90

On a funny note...on a XC 60 T8..to open the gas door, you have to push a button on the dash.....I didnt know that, nor did the salesman.....he was going to put a ticket in for a stuck gas door!!

Quote Originally Posted by kospa60 View Post
      What do you mean? The fuel filler flap has a locking mechanism. It won't open unless you unlock the car..
      I am 100% positive that it does not lock. Have you tried yours? Lock the car go away come back after a while and try only to open the gas door. You will be socked to find out that it is actually unlocked. There is no locking mechanism. At least on the 2018 model, which I think is also yours.

Only on T8 the charging port door is permanently locked and opens only from the button on the inside which is located on the left next to the boot and light dimmer buttons.

Maybe some other XC60 owners can confirm that or tell me the opposite which eventually will make my list with things that need fixing by the dealer much bigger.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

I don't really understand why the T8 needs a button for the gas filler. Also my charge port never locks.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

I am 100% positive that it does not lock. Have you tried yours? Lock the car go away come back after a while and try only to open the gas door. You will be socked to find out that it is actually unlocked. There is no locking mechanism. At least on the 2018 model, which I think is also yours.

Only on T8 the charging port door is permanently locked and opens only from the button on the inside which is located on the left next to the boot and light dimmer buttons.

Maybe some other XC60 owners can confirm that or tell me the opposite which eventually will make my list with things that need fixing by the dealer much bigger.
      What does it say in your owners manual. I’d bet dollars against doughnuts that you have a locking gas door. And if it doesn’t lock than it wont make your list much bigger, it would just be one thing to fix......

Quote Originally Posted by xgman View Post
      I don't really understand why the T8 needs a button for the gas filler. Also my charge port never locks.
      Ive read that for whatever reason they want the pressure in the line to be released...or something like that. Note: I dont have a T8

What does it say in your owners manual. I’d bet dollars against doughnuts that you have a locking gas door. And if it doesn’t lock than it wont make your list much bigger, it would just be one thing to fix......

Manual does not say a thing about locking the fuel filler flap. Dealer admits that all XC60 do not have a lock on the fuel filler flap. But he also tells me that R Design models do not have the private locking and then I receive news today via a private message that another owner with same specced car like mine does have it. So do I trust the dealer's saying? What makes Volvo decide which car gets what, or is it just a misshap at the factory that the dealer is avoiding to fix? I am not complaining love the car, but dealers are not much educated on the equipment of the SPA platform and the features involved.

manual says this :
      The car must be unlocked for the fuel filler flap to be opened11.
      11 Only locking and unlocking with the remote control key, keyless or via Volvo On Call affects the status of the fuel filler flap

meaning..?
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

Quote Originally Posted by Chris60 View Post
      manual says this :
      The car must be unlocked for the fuel filler flap to be opened11.
      11 Only locking and unlocking with the remote control key, keyless or via Volvo On Call affects the status of the fuel filler flap

meaning..?
      This is in my XC90 and S60 manual as well.....savolvo must be in another country or have a very unique Volvo.....

Manual does not say a thing about locking the fuel filler flap. Dealer admits that all XC60 do not have a lock on the fuel filler flap. But he also tells me that R Design models do not have the private locking and then I receive news today via a private message that another owner with same specced car like mine does have it. So do I trust the dealer's saying? What makes Volvo decide which car gets what, or is it just a misshap at the factory that the dealer is avoiding to fix? I am not complaining love the car, but dealers are not much educated on the equipment of the SPA platform and the features involved.

The Owner's manual is well explained

I have R-design and I have private locking BUT it's an incredibly stupid solution

The tailgate can be locked, so-called private
      locking which prevents it from being opened,
      e.g. when the car is taken in for service, left at a
      hotel or similar.
      This is so stupid solution to that it is for the section: believe it or not

The one who in the vehicle just need down put down the rear seat backs, and then has access to the luggage compartment

I would like an explanation from Volvo which is a function of private locking
      Last edited by BigBang; 03-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by cb62fcni View Post
      So, I wasn't very happy with the pleather covering on the stock keys, so I shelled out a few hundred bucks for the wood key, and have been extremely unimpressed with the build quality and wear characteristics of the fob. After only a few weeks of use, it started to degrade, and after a few months it looks like it's been carried through a war zone in a pocket full of nails and broken glass and razor blades. Anyone else unhappy with the build quality of their fobs? There is almost 0 actual metal on the darn thing, just black plastic that someone used a shake can full of somewhat metallic paint on from the looks of it!
      Quote Originally Posted by cb62fcni View Post
      Are you wearing some sort of bespoke trousers with pockets lined in crushed velvet? Do you have any other keys attached to the fob? I'm 90% sure the additional keys are what is chewing up my fob, but at the same time, Volvo should recognize that they've included a freaking attachment point on the fob for other keys, so maybe the fob should be designed to be in the presence of other keys without disintegrating....
      My Amber colored key fob has been holding up perfectly over last 9 months of use. The fob does not have any keys attached to it.

The fob goes straight into my right trouser pocket at 5 AM along with my handkerchief and comes out at about 6 PM when I'm back home.

All my trousers (Nautica, if I remember correctly) have a small sub-pocket inside the right pocket for keeping change (I suppose). I never carry any change and that mini-pockets fits the Volvo keyfob perfectly and does not move around or irritate me the entire day. Also, I have nothing else in my right pocket to scratch it and if I do put something in, it's protected by that mini-pocket cover in the trouser.

Also, I do have my hands covered in grease and oil many times and I have had the grease transfer onto the light-colored key fob a couple of times. But it wasn't anything a warm-wet cloth and a small dab of leather conditioner (which I also use to clean my leather seats) couldn't solve.

I love the fact that the key fob color matches my interior seat color and I wouldn't buy a cover or change the fob for that very reason.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      The Owner's manual is well explained

I have R-design and I have private locking BUT it's an incredibly stupid solution

This is so stupid solution to that it is for the section: believe it or not

The one who in the vehicle just need down put down the rear seat backs, and then has access to the luggage compartment

I would like an explanation from Volvo which is a function of private locking
      Private locking on my S60 sedan locks the back seats as well. I guess in my XC90 it simply makes it more difficult to take large things out through the tailgate and, of course, locks the glove compartment.

Private locking on my S60 sedan locks the back seats as well. I guess in my XC90 it simply makes it more difficult to take large things out through the tailgate and, of course, locks the glove compartment.

In my XC60 R-Design this does not happen even though I have the option of power foldable rear seat and power foldable rear headrest
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      In my XC60 R-Design this does not happen even though I have the option of power foldable rear seat and power foldable rear headrest
      The funny thing is that I’m 62 years old and have never used a valet key or used the private locking....of course I RARELY if ever valet the car; I used to park cars when I was a kid so I know how they drive them.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      My Amber colored key fob has been holding up perfectly over last 9 months of use. The fob does not have any keys attached to it.

The fob goes straight into my right trouser pocket at 5 AM along with my handkerchief and comes out at about 6 PM when I'm back home.

All my trousers (Nautica, if I remember correctly) have a small sub-pocket inside the right pocket for keeping change (I suppose). I never carry any change and that mini-pockets fits the Volvo keyfob perfectly and does not move around or irritate me the entire day. Also, I have nothing else in my right pocket to scratch it and if I do put something in, it's protected by that mini-pocket cover in the trouser.

Also, I do have my hands covered in grease and oil many times and I have had the grease transfer onto the light-colored key fob a couple of times. But it wasn't anything a warm-wet cloth and a small dab of leather conditioner (which I also use to clean my leather seats) couldn't solve.

I love the fact that the key fob color matches my interior seat color and I wouldn't buy a cover or change the fob for that very reason.
      Clearly your handkerchief is embracing your fob and shielding it from the rigors of this cruel, cruel world. I liked the leather fob as well, to look at at least. It held up poorly as well, and I didn't like the feel of the (I assume) PU leather on it. I thought paying 200 bucks for a key fob would somehow imbue it with a higher level of durability, but I was wrong. I do think the fob is well designed and a good size, I just wish they'd splurged and made it out of actual metal and leather, and not skimped with painted plastic and PU.

Not only does the fuel door lock. On the T8 if you don't start the filling process fast enough the fuel filler flap will close and you have to push the unlock button again to get it to open so you can refuel.

The latest update has extended this time but they don't say by how much.

https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/supp...a801515970036d

"Updates from and including May 2018

The time for which the fuel tank isolation valve is open for Twin Engine models has been extended. For more information on how the valve works on Twin Engine models, see"

"If the tank valve is closed on the Twin Engine during refueling"
      https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/supp...a801514346c07d

I have a XC60 D5 MY18 and the fuel door certainly locks. You can even hear the mechanism during locking/unlocking. Only thing I noticed is that when you lock the car it doesn't lock immediately but with the deadlock a few seconds later.

Quote Originally Posted by XC60Questions View Post
      Not only does the fuel door lock. On the T8 if you don't start the filling process fast enough the fuel filler flap will close and you have to push the unlock button again to get it to open so you can refuel.

The latest update has extended this time but they don't say by how much.

https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/supp...a801515970036d

"Updates from and including May 2018

The time for which the fuel tank isolation valve is open for Twin Engine models has been extended. For more information on how the valve works on Twin Engine models, see"

"If the tank valve is closed on the Twin Engine during refueling"
      https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/supp...a801514346c07d
      thats good to know...ty
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast