Questions about changing summer/winter tires myself
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Questions about changing summer/winter tires myself

Hi there,

I wish to change my tires myself as I'll save money in the long run and I don't have any issues with jacking up my car or performing basic maintenance, I just have some quite possibly obvious questions I wish to ask, purely for my own peace of mind.

I currently have a set of winter tyres on the car and will need to change them over with my summer tires fairly soon. To this end, I need to buy wheels to actually have the tyres fitted to. I have found a suitable supplier so that's no issue. The only question is this - once I take the tyres and wheels to a garage to have the wheels fitted to the tyres, am I right in assuming that is the extent to which the tyres will need to be balanced? And, if I were to rotate the tyres, would they need any additional balancing? Or, once the summer tyres are on the new wheels, can I just swap the summer and winter sets to my heart's content without going to a garage for tyres again?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Tire shops must balance the wheel after mounting. No tire and wheel is perfectly balanced, so they will add weights as necessary. The wheel and tire is balanced as a whole unit, it has nothing to do with your car. So you're free to rotate and swap them out any time you please.

Yep, get them mounted and balanced once and you should be good for years, often until the tire is ready to be replaced. Makes the summer/winter changeover much easier as you don't have to go get the tires remounted 2x/year (also easier on the wheels), just swap at your convenience in the driveway. I did just have to have a set re balanced after 4-5 years of use on my V70 as I was picking up a nasty highway speed vibration (gone after balancing), but that's all I've done other than rotate FB when I swap summer/winter, and that was the first time I've ever needed a re balance.
      2001 V70 Silver - 198k miles
      2006 XC70 Ocean Race - 95K miles
      (Past: '94 944 turbo, sold at ~220k miles)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for both of your replies, I really appreciate it!

As they stated easy job. Just make sure you use a good quality torque wrench, star pattern to tighten, etc.
      2014 S60 T5 AWD, Sport, Power Blue, Beechwood, Full Heated, IPD Rear Bar W/HD links, IPD Skid Plate, IPD Cat-Back, IPD Trunk Spoiler, EST Strut Brace, KW V3's, Cratus Gun metal Grey 18*8, 235/45 Comp 2 A/S, (Winter 245/40-18 Ice-X), Snabb CAI, RICA Stage 2, KT4 DP, Do88 FMIC, Paddle Extensions, Viva 2 pt Rear Brace...…...
      2019 Mustang GT, PP1, etc, etc. Newest summer toy!
      1986 Mustang SVO, Summer toy, 340/340 hp/torque at the wheels on a 2.3 4 cyl turbo!
      2013 Imprezza hatch, Hers

Okay, well so far this has been a disaster and I was wondering if anybody could help me out!

I went ahead and bought these wheels: https://www.tyres-outlet.co.uk/rims/...Code=ALCAR8270

But when I went to a tyre place to get them on, I was told that I needed a set of steel wheel nuts to secure them onto car, as the existing wheels were alloy wheels and would not fit.

So, I bought these wheel nuts from a seller on eBay, who assured me that they would fit a Volvo: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360511586050?ul_noapp=true

So I went back to the tyre place (and I can only do this every other weekend as I work away a lot) and they told me that the wheel nuts were the wrong size. They sent me to another garage at the other end of the city who apparently would be able to sell me the correct wheel nuts, but they deal exclusively in alloy wheels so I'm stuck. They did tell me that the wheel nuts I had been given had a 60 degree taper/chamfer, and it needed to be a different fit. You can see pictures of the wheel and the incorrect nuts here: https://imgur.com/a/XVN2qsJ

I went back to the people who sold me the wheel nuts and they said the wheel nuts were for genuine Volvo wheels, not aftermarket ones, and that they were unable to ascertain the correct wheel nut from either the picture I just shared or from the link to the place where I bought the tyres, and that I should speak to the tyre manufacturer.

I decided to contact Tyres Outlet who I got the tyres from and got the pointless, buck passing "speak to Volvo" answer. FFS, if Volvo's wheel nuts fitted, the ones I got supplied would!

I then tried to contact Alcar, who manufacture the tyre. Their online form came back with "form invalid" when I tried to click "send" so decided the best thing to do was to ring them up. I am based in the UK, they are in Austria. A quick "sprechen sie Englisch?" ensured that I got to speak to the sales team in English, my GCSE German being about 20 years old now. However, the very nice lady didn't seem to be able to fathom that I was after the specifications of the wheel NUTS that go with the wheels, and kept trying to tell me the wheel specifications, which I already know from the Tyres Outlet website.

In the end, I asked if I could email the problem to her and an email was duly sent to [email protected]... this was two days ago. Now, I know that, as the manufacturer of the wheel, they should be the people to provide me with the right wheel nut information... but, I seriously doubt that they will ever get back to me, to be honest.

So, can anybody help at all? I've got £180 worth of wheels sitting in a shed doing bugger all, and I can't return them because this debacle pouts me way outside the 14 day return period.

Thanks for any and all help...

Nuts and nuts, you don't need specific nuts for different material wheels.

Also, I don't see a problem here. What are you saying is wrong?

So what if the nut doesn't have the exact slope of the wheel bolt hole? It still makes contact and when torqued to spec, it will still hold tight. I wouldn't put my car on the track with that setup, but we're talking about winter wheels on a daily. It's fine.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The local tyre place told me they were incorrect as they didn't sit right 100%.

At the tyre place at the other end of the city, one mechanic said they weren't wrong, the other who he checked with said they looked right, but they when he looked closer, he told me they were wrong.

The issue is that apparently they will work/sit but it will be unsafe for some reason or other. If guys are two tyre places are going to tell me this, then obviously I will listen!

While not optimal, I wouldn't call it unsafe. Just a liability for a tire shop to let you leave that way. People run wheels with lugs that aren't perfectly seated all the time, their wheels aren't just falling off.

Figure out the angle of the bolt hole on the wheels and then just search for lugs that you know will work. If you really want to get these wheels on, just have the shop mount and balance the tires and then swap the wheels in your own driveway. I'd reuse the Volvo lugs before going with the cheap aftermarket recommendation of a tire retailer.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements