Volvo S40 T5 K16 hybrid Upgrade - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Other Days it has Boost Leak Like Effect , were the Settings on the Valves Checked , wonder If they got one to Tight ?

Have then do a Compression Test when it Acts like that again , seems strange ~
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      Other Days it has Boost Leak Like Effect , were the Settings on the Valves Checked , wonder If they got one to Tight ?

Have then do a Compression Test when it Acts like that again , seems strange ~

Thanks man, yeh ok that sounds good.

As it stands at the moment im actually pulling the car out the garage now from the mapper as he has had it too long so I will drive it a bit myself and do my own checks. If the mapping isnt complete then it will go back early next year. But if it goes in for mapping again im contemplating turning it up and getting some 1000cc injectors instead. Injectors at the moment are 550cc I think or 650cc I cannot remember.
      Last edited by domwild43; 11-26-2019 at 09:06 AM.
      -------------------------------------------------
      2009 Volvo S40 - With a few mods

He should have only done stage 1 or std Boost to see where the Injectors were Performing .
      Plugs could be Gaped to Wide , with all that Extra Boost Gap should have been .10 Smaller just to be Safe .. Unless You have the High Out Put Coils . .

Timing Belt could be Off 1 Tooth 1 way or the Other , also Now that Think about It with Conditions You mentioned . .

Heat is Building Up and Boost then might get Top Plume - Leaking - make sure the Gasket is Seated Properly , just some things to check up on . .
      Last edited by EngTech; 11-27-2019 at 05:57 PM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

He should have only done stage 1 or std Boost to see where the Injectors were Performing .
      Plugs could be Gaped to Wide , with all that Extra Boost Gap should have been .10 Smaller just to be Safe .. Unless You have the High Out Put Coils . .

Timing Belt could be Off 1 Tooth 1 way or the Other , also Now that Think about It with Conditions You mentioned . .

Heat is Building Up and Boost then might get Top Plume - Leaking - make sure the Gasket is Seated Properly , just some things to check up on . .

Yeh defenitly, thanks a lot for that. I should be getting it tomorrow so will start slowly doing all the checks myself.

picked up the car on friday so I now finally have it back!

Car is an absolute weapon (When it finally finds traction), no idea what power it is putting down so would like to get it dyno'd soon but easily wheelspinning up in 1st, 2nd, 3rd .... so I guess a limited slip diff is on the list next.

have not really tested the car but driving back I passed a nicely tuned RX8 who wanted to push his a bit and the S40 didnt even break a sweat, easily leaving / catching up etc on every gear. There is a bit of turbo lag, but once it kicks in, it really kicks in which is where balancing the traction to stop wheel spinning and torque steer comes in ... so still a bit to learn on driving this, but it is defenitly an event.

Just driving normally, the car still feels the same and still nice and easy to drive which is great and still suprisingly economical and got a good mpg driving it home.

The remap itself still isnt 100% done, there is still some fine tuning. Rarely under full throttle there is a slip blip or hesitation so will go back in Jan / Feb to cure that.

Anyway thats all for now, hopefully some time soon I will go for a drive and get a video up.

Defenitly a higly recommended mod for anyone thinking of doing this, it is well worth it but make sure you do your reasearch.

The Lighter Billet Compressor Blades are Nice , Turbo Mods are Now being Designed to Fit the Engine , More & More these Days ..

The Larger Compressor Wheels will even Run a Smaller Inducer Nose as it Climbs up Out of the Compressor Housings ( ie: Read Taller ) Like an Upside Down Ice Cream Cone

Would Liked to have Seen those Exhaust Valve _ Sizes and How those were - Cut in 3 Angle etc. - I didn't get a Chance to read over the Entire Build , but " Depending on Head Work "

Cams & Spring will be Needed . . that Much Boost Will ~ Lift the Valves .

Oh I see Your Up & Running , Have Her Good Go on a Video or Two . .
      Last edited by EngTech; 12-02-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Forgot to update here. K16 is in the car mapped an finally have it back!! Just to note that this is a K16 stage 3 hybrid.

The mapping itself is not 100% complete just yet as requires some last bits of fine tuning which should be done next month.

So the car itself, whats it like?
      To be honest, I probably will have no idea till the summer on how it really is, the car cruises and drives as it normally did for day to day which is nice but going full power just is too much for the wet roads in the winter as there is just wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and 3rd ... probably higher up the range in 3rd it will grip but when turbo kicks in, it just lights up the wheels ... So whats next? Im on the fence at the moment, I can get an LSD fitted but doing my research into this AWD conversion as quite a few builds have done this now with great results.

There have been some dry days but the days I got the cam out to video the car, it was a bit wet and there was no grip on acceloration ... so hopefully I might find some time when its next dry to get a K16 pull on youtube.

Car still handles well and still getting used to controlling the extra power through the wheels, but literally cannot stop laughing driving this thing. Anyone on the fence with doing this mod, I highly recommed this, makes these cars an absolute animal. Hopefully in the next month or so I will get it dyno'd to just get some figures down as well. Will be returning to the famous nuremburgring so I defenitly want to get a good pull through all the gears on the autobahn to really see what this can now do.

Those Hybrid Turbo's are like Big Bucks and they are using Used ones Generally in Good Shape Mind You ..
      Of Course they Rebuild Kit in them allowing Better Oil Pressure flow to the Thrust Bearing Surface etc.

Better Balancing Helps a lot , but these Better More Eff Billet Wheels - Really Pull Air . .
      Hope You did something with The Head to Flow Better - that had Rebuilt or Your going to need Cams ~ What Goes in Must Come Out ~
      Or best Stay down around 18 Psi . . 550cc that is Unless the Rods Your Engine Guy - placed are 8:5-1 Compression Version - it will still be Close . .
      If You crank it up to 22 Psi or more with 650cc Injectors - Have to have Cams . . Or High Flow Head ~ just mentioning Not sure what Your Tuners is doing . .

I'm going to Starting another Full Port ~ Manifold & Turbo Housing ~ with some Extra's will something along these Very Same Lines : Hp they Quote is with all the Bolts On's on T5 Motor ..
      http://pumaspeed.com/car-Focus-ST225-XR5-Turbo_3_24.jsp
      Last edited by EngTech; 12-28-2019 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by domwild43 View Post
      Yeh man, looks much nicer. Regardless if it helps of not its always a nice addition to the engine bay!

Although later on I think it would be nice to relocate the battery to the boot here to free up more space. Few other S40 T5's here in the UK have done this and looks much better.
      I did, having a two battery setup is helpful as well.
      I also removed the stock fused 1 or 2AWG line between the starter and the battery and replaced it with an (overkill) 4/0AWG silicone line. Stock crank increased at least double and it sounds less struggly to turn the starter. They're about $20 on ebay fully waterproofed and soldered.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Those Hybrid Turbo's are like Big Bucks and they are using Used ones Generally in Good Shape Mind You ..
      Of Course they Rebuild Kit in them allowing Better Oil Pressure flow to the Thrust Bearing Surface etc.

Better Balancing Helps a lot , but these Better More Eff Billet Wheels - Really Pull Air . .
      Hope You did something with The Head to Flow Better - that had Rebuilt or Your going to need Cams ~ What Goes in Must Come Out ~
      Or best Stay down around 18 Psi . . 550cc that is Unless the Rods Your Engine Guy - placed are 8:5-1 Compression Version - it will still be Close . .
      If You crank it up to 22 Psi or more with 650cc Injectors - Have to have Cams . . Or High Flow Head ~ just mentioning Not sure what Your Tuners is doing . .

I'm going to Starting another Full Port ~ Manifold & Turbo Housing ~ with some Extra's will something along these Very Same Lines : Hp they Quote is with all the Bolts On's on T5 Motor ..
      http://pumaspeed.com/car-Focus-ST225-XR5-Turbo_3_24.jsp

Yeh im defenitly going to look after the turbo as much as possible really.

With the head work, they refurbed the head which was good as I didnt ask for that. Originally I was getting a refurbed larger port polished head but that came with a whole world of problems so that never made it on the car.

Im not entirely sure what the compression ratio is on the car but I purchased the below rods and pistons
      https://store.bdperformance.co.uk/in...duct&id_lang=1

I probably wont crank it up just yet really, im looking to get a gripper lsd added and probably forget the awd conversion. Need to concentrate back on handling to get this car on point to get back on the track.

is that print out from pumaspeed from a hybrid k04?

Yes the One Link above is from them , With those Rods U had Placed & Pistons - should be ~ Very Stout ~

Speaking of Handling , really should get the Complete LCA all Re_Bushed with Better Bushings .. I Happen to Like the White-Line Anti-Drive set up do to the
      Grease-able Area inside Bushings they Provide and It's Not a Race Bushing so it still road very nice ..added Camber - gave a Heavier Wheel & Feel - which seemed Right On ..

Once You get that Thing Running Right - Post up some Video's

Quote Originally Posted by domwild43 View Post
      Yeh im defenitly going to look after the turbo as much as possible really.

With the head work, they refurbed the head which was good as I didnt ask for that. Originally I was getting a refurbed larger port polished head but that came with a whole world of problems so that never made it on the car.

Im not entirely sure what the compression ratio is on the car but I purchased the below rods and pistons
      https://store.bdperformance.co.uk/in...duct&id_lang=1

I probably wont crank it up just yet really, im looking to get a gripper lsd added and probably forget the awd conversion. Need to concentrate back on handling to get this car on point to get back on the track.

is that print out from pumaspeed from a hybrid k04?

Compression Ratio: 9.0:1 or 8.5:1 according to the website. When I talked about this with Don (iirc) he said that ours stock were 10:1 and the S60R's were 8.5:1's. But I could be misremembering this was a long time ago.

Personally I think the AWD setup will give you better control than putting all that power into the FWD with an LSD. No matter what you got enough to rip both tires loose and give you understeer issues left and right coming out of a corner, whereas AWD Would nearly immediately shunt spinning power to rear and give you better control....idk just my .02 since you're the wheelman.

That being said...they recently started advertising they can make custom carbon-composite connecting rods. They have a 0.5mm deflection at 15,000RPM at 3,000HP. https://www.thedrive.com/news/31173/...hstand-3000-hp
      This means less weight is needed in the crank to offset the rod and piston and therefore more power to the wheels and less to the rotating assembly and therefore, less wear and tear. For those considering your next build...this would be the way. You couldn't put in enough boost to destroy the rods with our turbos (K04/K16) that fit under the hood. I have a spare crankshaft downstairs if anyone is interested ha.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Yes the One Link above is from them , With those Rods U had Placed & Pistons - should be ~ Very Stout ~

Speaking of Handling , really should get the Complete LCA all Re_Bushed with Better Bushings .. I Happen to Like the White-Line Anti-Drive set up do to the
      Grease-able Area inside Bushings they Provide and It's Not a Race Bushing so it still road very nice ..added Camber - gave a Heavier Wheel & Feel - which seemed Right On ..

Once You get that Thing Running Right - Post up some Video's

Hmmm thats a great idea on the bushings, do you have a link at all to some?

Yeh will defenitly get a video done soon, still struggling to get the power down really but when there is a dry weekend I will get something.

Here is a vid below of the car on an initial map with a few boltons, exhaust etc
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkVYlJovQ5A

Car is a lot louder now, which is real fun but prefer it to be quiet and subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      Compression Ratio: 9.0:1 or 8.5:1 according to the website. When I talked about this with Don (iirc) he said that ours stock were 10:1 and the S60R's were 8.5:1's. But I could be misremembering this was a long time ago.

Personally I think the AWD setup will give you better control than putting all that power into the FWD with an LSD. No matter what you got enough to rip both tires loose and give you understeer issues left and right coming out of a corner, whereas AWD Would nearly immediately shunt spinning power to rear and give you better control....idk just my .02 since you're the wheelman.

That being said...they recently started advertising they can make custom carbon-composite connecting rods. They have a 0.5mm deflection at 15,000RPM at 3,000HP. https://www.thedrive.com/news/31173/...hstand-3000-hp
      This means less weight is needed in the crank to offset the rod and piston and therefore more power to the wheels and less to the rotating assembly and therefore, less wear and tear. For those considering your next build...this would be the way. You couldn't put in enough boost to destroy the rods with our turbos (K04/K16) that fit under the hood. I have a spare crankshaft downstairs if anyone is interested ha.
      Yeh you're right man, the only thing is I would like to get on the track this year and handling is quite important really so an LSD would be quicker and cheaper for the moment to see me through the year. There are some guys recently that have started selling awd conversion kits here in the UK but obviously they cost quite a bit ... so maybe towards the end of the year it might be reconcidered as AWD would be pretty fun.

Right so Testing time is coming up soon! Will be looking to run the 1/4 mile in the next 3 - 4 weeks to see what time improvements there are to the previous times, and got a track day lined up so will probably be looking to polybush the car.

For the 1/4 mile times below
      - Standard OEM setup ran 17.0 best
      - With a performance catback exhaust system / K&N Intake / Remap, the car ran 14.5 best

So with this new turbo I would be disappointed if I didnt get into the 13's .... the only problem I know im going to have which will be a big one, its getting the grip down to start.

As for trackdays, this is going to be a very bum clenching experience and I suspect I will spend a very good part of the day learning the car and how it handles with this power.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2