Volvo to limit top speed?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Volvo to limit top speed?

Just came across this article this afternoon. Interesting take on safety. Not that I’ve gotten my XC90 that high or many of my other cars but the idea of having the ability to do so is nice.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...-speed-safety/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good thing it's a MY2021+ initiative! So we all good.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

I don't think the Germans will be very happy . . . Apparently the German transportation ministry was thinking of speed limits for the Autobahn and when the natives heard that they went crazy - culturally fascinating!

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/25/68823...rol-in-the-u-s

Am not sure how limiting to 112mph will dent traffic accidents, though anything slower helps with accident severity. Anything above 75mph (maybe?) is still tough to control - inertia is just so strong at that speed. While I understand the intent at first glance I'd be against the limitation. While I don't drive that fast I think it's just a freedom issue for me . . .
      Last edited by likeXC90; 03-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by captastic12 View Post
      Just came across this article this afternoon. Interesting take on safety. Not that I’ve gotten my XC90 that high or many of my other cars but the idea of having the ability to do so is nice.

I actually have driven my XC90 up to 230 (Germany). It gets up to 200 without a hassle. When taking over, you get over 180 before you know it (...). I do think 180 should be fast enough, but that awfull feeling of suddenly hitting a limiter, brrr....

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Pixel 3 met Tapatalk
      2017 XC90 (MY2017) T8 - R-Design Bursting Blue, Polestar
      In loving memory: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV ('Metsubsidie Foutlander') (MY2014) 2014-2017, Peugeot 207 SW (MY2008) 2011-2014, Renault Clio 1.4 16v Ludo (MY2000) 2005-2011

Quote Originally Posted by captastic12 View Post

I've taken my M2 beyond 300kph on the autobahn. Not something that I cannot see doing with an frequency, but would miss the chance to make that decision on my own. However I totally get auto makers trying to reduce excessive speeding especially Volvo since they have a zero deaths goal.

In the USA, I wouldn't care. In Europe, this would be a deal-breaker for me.

It is more as concern for autobahn drivers. Zero impact on me.
      Even in USA midwest where speed limit could go up to 85mph, I don't think one should drive over 112mph.
      Now that the driver knows he can't drive over 112mph, he wouldn't bother to try speed that much. This is a good thing.

Anyone willing to buy a car limited to 112mph usually will not try drive crazy.
      So it is good thing that more people will have this in mind, especially young learners.

And this means Volvo don't compete on numbers as tools of advertisement. This won't help sales, but this is conscientious that they don't compete in a way that compromises safety.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

I'm in Europe, but I don't mind. I also wouldn't mind if volvo would limit the top speed of my car at the next service.
      There are already a lot of stretches on the Autobahn where the speed is limited, and more to come.
      130Km/h is fast enough for me.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

I don't mind the top speed limit if the car can accelerate to 112mph in ten seconds or less.

Kidding-- limiting the maximum speed to 112 is fine by me, and, I would bet, 95% of Volvo owners.
      2017 T5 Momentum+, Osmium Gray, Amber Leather, B&W, Vision.
      2005 Tacoma S5 4x4, Silver, 130K miles strong.

Quote Originally Posted by badcyclist View Post
      I don't mind the top speed limit if the car can accelerate to 112mph in ten seconds or less.

Kidding-- limiting the maximum speed to 112 is fine by me, and, I would bet, 95% of Volvo owners.
      It should be, for any driver; anyone caught driving 100+ mph, will end up in handcuffs.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      It should be, for any driver; anyone caught driving 100+ mph, will end up in handcuffs.
      Anyone who has driven out west in the open landscape where sand, rock formations, and cactus outnumber people are guilty of putting the pedal to the metal. And while I don' advocate anyone going 100+ MPH, I don't think Volvo should play Nanny. We're all grown ups...

So will Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini follow suit? Just cause you give someone the ability to drive over 100MPH doesn't mean people will utilize it. But then again, maybe people want to take their cars out to the track and punch it. We have a round track and straight away around here. Never been but just making a point

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      lol
      2015 F150 LARIAT Sport 3.5L EcoBoost - Fully Loaded
      2020 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Prem & Prem Plus | B&W | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Polestar | Splash Guards | OEM Rubber Mats | Bumper Cover | Front Tint 23% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 Winter | Picked up June 4/2020 |
      2016 XC90 T8 Lease Return
      My Insta

I'm in Europe, but I don't mind. I also wouldn't mind if volvo would limit the top speed of my car at the next service.
      There are already a lot of stretches on the Autobahn where the speed is limited, and more to come.
      You're the guy that goes 80KM/H in a 115KM/H zone - Admit it....Mutters....Speed up grandpa, the cars honking behind me are just as pissed as I am to get behind the likes of you!

I think it is nonsense from Volvo part. Most accidents do not happen because of high speed but for other reasons. There is a kind of paranoia about speed limiting a measuring (and it is mainly great $$ business, nothing else, of course). Limited speed on highways is mostly nonsense. On many German highways you can go unlimited speed and there are definitely no more accidents than on highways where you have to ride the ridiculous 120 km/h etc. which is just absurd slow most of the time. If Volvo wants to be 100% sure about absolute safety, I recommend to limit the maximum speed to 5 mph ...
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

Quote Originally Posted by Ivos View Post
      I think it is nonsense from Volvo part. Most accidents do not happen because of high speed but for other reasons. There is a kind of paranoia about speed limiting a measuring (and it is mainly great $$ business, nothing else, of course). Limited speed on highways is mostly nonsense. On many German highways you can go unlimited speed and definitely there are definitely no more accidents than on highways where you have to ride the ridiculous 120 km/h etc. which is just absurd slow most of the time. If Volvo wants to be 100% sure about absolute safety, I recommend to limit the maximum speed to 5 mph ...
      In Soviet Sweden, horse now pulls car. No more accidents for Sven while he drinks a bottle of absolute at 5MPH.

index.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ivos View Post
      I think it is nonsense from Volvo part. Most accidents do not happen because of high speed but for other reasons. There is a kind of paranoia about speed limiting a measuring (and it is mainly great $$ business, nothing else, of course). Limited speed on highways is mostly nonsense. On many German highways you can go unlimited speed and there are definitely no more accidents than on highways where you have to ride the ridiculous 120 km/h etc. which is just absurd slow most of the time. If Volvo wants to be 100% sure about absolute safety, I recommend to limit the maximum speed to 5 mph ...
      Yet...

"Based on work by Nilsson in Sweden, a change in average speed of 1 km/h will result in a change in accident numbers ranging between 2% for a 120 km/h road and 4% for a 50 km/h road. This result has been confirmed by many before and after studies of different speed reduction measures. This relationship is used by other Scandinavian countries and by Australian and Dutch safety engineers."

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_...cident_risk_en

Insurance rates on XC90s to drop even further?
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Denim Blue/Maroon Brown Luxury, Convenience, B&W, Protection +, Air Suspension

Retired
      2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit V8 - Red/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      You're the guy that goes 80KM/H in a 115KM/H zone - Admit it....Mutters....Speed up grandpa, the cars honking behind me are just as pissed as I am to get behind the likes of you!
      +1 😂
      2020 XC90 T8 R-Design | Crystal White | Prem & Prem Plus | B&W | Air Suspension | 22" Wheels | Polestar | Splash Guards | OEM Rubber Mats | Bumper Cover | Front Tint 23% | DashCam | 20" R-Design Wheels w/ Blizzak DMV2 Winter | Picked up June 4/2020 |
      My Insta

Anyone who has driven out west in the open landscape where sand, rock formations, and cactus outnumber people are guilty of putting the pedal to the metal.
      I drive in the desert all the time and in the past 7 years I have yet to see anyone drive this fast.

And while I don' advocate anyone going 100+ MPH, I don't think Volvo should play Nanny. We're all grown ups...
      If you are a grown up, then you should not have to worry about 100+ mph on a road...

Volvo is not playing nanny; it's proven that excessive speed kills. Plus, very few people can react if the car loses control at any speed over 80 mph.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

On the forum for XC60 someone also complained that hitting a barrier at 112 mph was not a lot different than hitting it at 120 mph. Lets face it even with current technology hitting a concrete barrier head on at 65 is pretty much a killer. While I know that some here actually track cars (not their Volvo) most people who drive Volvos are not accustomed to defensive driving techniques especially at speed. Avoiding an accident at 30 mph is different from when you hit 60 mph and changes again when you hit 90 mph and again at 120 mph. The physics make it hard to do things successfully. I think Volvo is trying to create a cocoon that becomes a safe haven in the event of an accident. They are trying to identify the upper limit of speed where they can still insure your integrity during a head on collision. While I am not excited about it, given how I drive the XC90 now it will make very little difference to me. I still want the acceleration as I consider that a game changer.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

I dont see myself speeding in my SUV at 112mph

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
      Last edited by m95c; 03-04-2019 at 08:37 PM.
      '17 XC90 | '95 E36 M3 Turner Motorsport Chipped | '14 Infiniti QX70 | '94 Supra 6 speed single Turbo | '94 Supra TT Auto | '16 Civic EX-T Hondata Tuned

I drive in the desert all the time and in the past 7 years I have yet to see anyone drive this fast.

If you are a grown up, then you should not have to worry about 100+ mph on a road...

Volvo is not playing nanny; it's proven that excessive speed kills. Plus, very few people can react if the car loses control at any speed over 80 mph.
      You still didn't answer the main question. So should Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc put a governor on their cars too? Call them sporty with a limit? I don't advocate ANYONE driving recklessly, let alone 100MPH. But people do take cars to the track to run the paces. On a normal road, any idiot going 100MPH will probably end the night in handcuffs. With the exception of the AutoBahn in Germany.

And while speed does kill, so does the little old man or woman going 20 MPH in a 50 MPH. So should Volvo create a system that forces grandma or grandpa to accelerate? After all, the cars behind them risk a pile up for having to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting said vehicle.

But more realistically, the reason a car can go that fast, is to pass someone who might be a danger on the road. I've been on one lane roads where little old man is creating a traffic bottleneck. And you have limited distance and time to pass. Your option is to punch the accelerator briefly to overtake said car or risk the cars behind you plowing into the back end of your car. I prefer the former.

As a responsible driver I (try to) respect the maximum speed allowed.
      You won't get pissed behind me unless you don't respect the rules.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

One of my favorite "Far Side" cartoons--picture of three entries to H3LL, one for thieves, another for bullies, and the third for people who drive slow in the fast lane!
      2016 Black XC90 R Design with B&W, 4C, tow, climate, convenience, Polestar

Except plenty of us grownups do it all the time, legally. In fact, we specifically bought our vehicles because they could travel those speeds comfortably and safely.

Volvo is clearly playing the nanny here and they seemingly choose a random speed to do it at. Where did they come up with a maximum speed of 180 km/h is safest, why not 130 km/h or 120 km/h?

As long as you stay to the right, then it's not a big deal. Just don't pull out into the left hand lane to go around someone doing 128 km/h with you sticking to 130 km/h to pass them in an unlimited section.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      As long as you stay to the right, then it's not a big deal. Just don't pull out into the left hand lane to go around someone doing 128 km/h with you sticking to 130 km/h to pass them in an unlimited section.
      No, of course not.
      There are no unlimlited sections in Belgium, but I don't do it in Germany either
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

It is an excellent and ingenious idea ! From that moment no more accidents and dead on the roads ...110 mph is totally safe speed while 113 mph is responsible for all the tragedies on the roads ...
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

It sounds wonderful! Until they decide that 100MPH is really safer. Then it will be 80MPH. Then 50MPH - and you're saving Mother Earth!

Terrible idea. (and so is start/stop - make it STOP!)
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

DIY Oil Change:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ange-with-pics

DIY Brake Pads:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ment-with-pics

1.jpg

I needed a good laugh in the morning 😄
      My Insta

...and just how will track days be handled in the performance Volvo models?

Mike
      '14 XC90 R-Design, Passion Red & Calcite White, 19" Ixion wheels
      AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS, Volvo Hitch/Harness

2006 2.5T AWD XC90 / 2015.5 XC60 T5 (5 cyl) AWD, Platinum, Blis & Climate Package, 20 inch Pirellis, wood inlays with blonde interior (stunning), Flamenco Red (exterior)

"Predictions are really hard, especially about the future." -- Yogi Berra

No, of course not.
      There are no unlimlited sections in Belgium, but I don't do it in Germany either
      To be fair, there are way too many potholes to dodge in Belgium for unlimited sections to be viable.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Quote Originally Posted by R-Design M&M View Post
      ...and just how will track days be handled in the performance Volvo models?

Mike
      My guess is that a Polestar tune will remove this, that way Volvo can keep its performance buyers happy, throw another sales nugget to entice people buying P*, while still keeping the safety message on point for the masses...
      2020 S60 PE, Matte Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

Quote Originally Posted by beers View Post
      My guess is that a Polestar tune will remove this, that way Volvo can keep its performance buyers happy, throw another sales nugget to entice people buying P*, while still keeping the safety message on point for the masses...
      Yes, I could see that happening.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast