Volvo to limit top speed? - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      It should be, for any driver; anyone caught driving 100+ mph, will end up in handcuffs.
      With COVID-19, there have been a spate of drivers getting pulled over on the Beltway in the DC area for doing 100+ mph. Light traffic is not an excuse to drive stupid.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I’m totally fine with this and I’m going to continue to buy Volvo’s. I’ve had both my XC60’s at speeds over 100 for short periods. Highly illegal for the roads I was driving on. The risk really wasn’t worth the reward.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Now only if, instead of electronically limiting the top speed, they re-develop the gearbox with aggressive ratios. I would be so much more on board with it!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

my big issue is what is going to stop them next year from saying that limit is now 95 or limit is what the speed limit is based on RSI. Tired of the "nannies" telling me how to live my life. after 30 years and 17 volvo's, time to say goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by gustiemav View Post
      my big issue is what is going to stop them next year from saying that limit is now 95 or limit is what the speed limit is based on RSI. Tired of the "nannies" telling me how to live my life. after 30 years and 17 volvo's, time to say goodbye.
      Bye, Bye
      2017/XC90/Osmium Grey T8 Inscription no B&W, no child pakket, no seat pakket and no Air suspension

No doubt this is an emotional topic but let's swag at the numbers only. Is it safe to say the vast majority of USA Volvo drivers (95%+?) don't even break 100 mph? Or 110 mph? 120? Or even reached the max 130 mph?
      And for those that do break 100 mph, how much time is actually spent above 100 mph? Seconds, minutes, hours per month? How about time spent above 110 mph? 120?
      Given the USA speed limits, its enforcement and severe penalties, and the sub-population who buy Volvos, I'm guessing it's very very few Volvo drivers - probably just the folks on this forum - who even drive beyond 112 mph before the speed limitation was announced.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

I have spent hours upon hours above 100 mph in my XC90, I bought it for that exact reason, a great family trip vehicle.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

If you act irresponsibly, then you get the nanny state.

Quote Originally Posted by beers View Post
      My guess is that a Polestar tune will remove this, that way Volvo can keep its performance buyers happy, throw another sales nugget to entice people buying P*, while still keeping the safety message on point for the masses...
      Did not see that exclusion in the press release. I will believe it when they say it in print.
      '14 XC90 R-Design, Passion Red & Calcite White, 19" Ixion wheels
      AWD, Platinum, Climate, BLIS, Volvo Hitch/Harness

Volvo is marketing safety. Majority of their customers don’t do 100mph; not even on the Autobahn.

You might feel differently about high speed driving if you came upon an accident where someone hit a tree sideways at 120mph in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I did and the vehicle was in three large pieces scattered across the road and the sides of the road for almost 150 yards from the tree. The driver was found in many places still in the car parts, on the road in places and on both sides of the road too. You get the picture, the vehicle basically exploded. Is there any rational reason to drive that fast anywhere? Force = Mass x Acceleration. Darwin has a point. Those that are too stupid to do things that enhance their ability to survive should not be entitled to the same expectations that they will be able to multiply and add more stupid people into the world. Funny how that works.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

Quote Originally Posted by R-Design M&M View Post
      Did not see that exclusion in the press release. I will believe it when they say it in print.
      Don't count on it; the development and application of the Polestar Engineered Optimization software is not to enable driver to drive at 110+ mph...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Don't count on it; the development and application of the Polestar Engineered Optimization software is not to enable driver to drive at 110+ mph...
      Right. On the one hand, if they're trying to keep everyone in the fold - even those who prioritize being able to drive that fast - then tying it to the PE Optimization would make sense. On the other hand, if they're really trying to market safety and show that they're taking it seriously, it would be counterproductive to allow an exception like that. Their choice but I'm guessing they'll go with the latter case.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

This is stupid because people might bring their Volvo to track and have some fun. With this limitation polestar Volvos will get beaten by a Camry at quarter mile.

Quote Originally Posted by kevintinple View Post
      This is stupid because people might bring their Volvo to track and have some fun. With this limitation polestar Volvos will get beaten by a Camry at quarter mile.
      Exactly...

except no stock camry is breaking 112 in the 1/4 mile so no. the volvo is unlikely to hit 112 either but not sure what the new polestars would do in the 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      except no stock camry is breaking 112 in the 1/4 mile so no. the volvo is unlikely to hit 112 either but not sure what the new polestars would do in the 1/4
      I hadn't even thought to look at that - to me the 1/4 mile is completely irrelevant so I never paid attention to those numbers when looking at reviews. It seems even the Polestar Engineered models aren't making it past 110 in the 1/4 mile so that shouldn't be an issue with the motoring press - the limit won't put the Volvo's at a disadvantage during their testing.
      Last edited by Catfiend; 05-29-2020 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by 2020XC90T8 View Post
      You might feel differently about high speed driving if you came upon an accident where someone hit a tree sideways at 120mph in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I did and the vehicle was in three large pieces scattered across the road and the sides of the road for almost 150 yards from the tree. The driver was found in many places still in the car parts, on the road in places and on both sides of the road too. You get the picture, the vehicle basically exploded. Is there any rational reason to drive that fast anywhere? Force = Mass x Acceleration. Darwin has a point. Those that are too stupid to do things that enhance their ability to survive should not be entitled to the same expectations that they will be able to multiply and add more stupid people into the world. Funny how that works.
      Wow, horrible story!
      But since most drivers, especially those that drive very fast, are excellent drivers,
      it must be an exception to the rule, no?
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      Wow, horrible story!
      But since most drivers, especially those that drive very fast, are excellent drivers,
      I'm no race car driver, but have had many years of experience on a track at various times in my life. I doubt the average person understands weight shift, lateral g loading, or the concept of the 15% slide when trying to maximize cornering, acceleration and braking forces. I doubt they actually know what their car's limits are, how they can change with tire wear, road surface differences, weather related aspects that limit traction, or anything else that one would need to know to drive their cars on the upper limits of performance envelopes. I see the average bone head driving too fast, not paying attention, eating and/or drinking coffee while driving, holding their phones making a call, Face Timing people while driving, taking pictures of themselves while driving, joking around with friends and engaging in dance moves in the car while they are driving, putting make up on, fixing their hair looking in the rear view mirror for 30 seconds while at highway speeds since they are on autonomous driving mode, and the dumbest is when some truly stupid person has their little dog sitting in their lap while behind the wheel. WTF people! These are the same knuckleheads that think they can handle a car on any road above 80 mph like its nothing. God help them if they hit me or my family while they were doing that. I have cameras front and back to provide evidence of my driving just before an accident, as well as the footage of an accident if that were to happen to me. Some moron cut me off and got out of his car to get in my face about it not long ago, and all I said to engage him when he approached my car was to inform him he was being captured on HD video right now which is also recording his voice. His facial response changed immediately and without saying another word he walked back to his car and took off. Instead of presenting my fire arm to dissuade his aggression, telling him he was on camera is all that was needed to ward off something stupid from happening to him.

So in answer to your legitimate question? I think it IS the exception that someone is a talented enough driver to put your children in their care while they drive at 100+ speeds on public roads. In my opinion, anyone who does that is extraordinarily arrogant, stupid and reckless. I will increase the odds of my survival in my tank otherwise known as the XC90T8. Good luck to someone else I say.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

If you can't do the track then you can still do this (max speed <80 mph), because Volvo markets itself to this audience . Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/jOdZXOF7mVU
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

XC90T8 on the track! You know you want to . . .
      https://youtu.be/ZJTZBP1rV9U
      Last edited by likeXC90; 05-29-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Exaggerations anyone? Most 1/4-mile runs rarely go over 90 or 95 mph
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      XC90T8 on the track! You know you want to . . .
      https://youtu.be/ZJTZBP1rV9U
      Yes i do. As long as its not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith22 View Post
      Yes i do. As long as its not mine.
      I'm not sure I'd want to do it in something that large even if it were someone else's. I could probably be persuaded to try an MX-5 on the track, or something like a Lotus 7, but probably nothing larger. And never my own car - whether or not it's rational to think it more likely to injure the car on a track I still would.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by 2020XC90T8 View Post
      Wow, horrible story!
      No matter how good you are, physics always win. Spent a couple of months in Germany awhile back and was excited about driving on the Autobahn at speeds of >200 km/h (>120mph) but soon realized that if some idiot ahead changes into my lane without checking their mirrors, it would not be a good day for any of us. Granted drivers I encounter in Germany exhibit proper driving skills more than US counterparts, nonetheless I’m essentially surrendering control of my safety into the hands of some stranger when I’m driving at excessive speeds on public roads.
      Last edited by seawolf; 06-04-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
      No matter how good you are, physics always win. Spent a couple of months in Germany awhile back and was excited about driving on the Autobahn at speeds of >200 km/h (>120mph) but soon realized that if some idiot ahead changes into my lane without checking their mirrors, it would not be a good day for any of us. Granted drivers I encounter in Germany exhibit proper driving skills more than US counterparts, nonetheless I’m essentially surrendering control of my safety into the hands of some stranger when I’m driving at excessive speeds on public roads.
      +1!
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

29. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4