Race chip on V90 CC
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Race chip on V90 CC

**There are updated results in Post #94, 12/4/19**

Hi folks, I've been reading about the Polestar optimization and I've thought it is kind of sad it only provides a few extra HP and torque...although shifting and other things are also improved...while keeping factory warranty. Because of that...and because I most recently come from a BMW with lots of possibilities for performance upgrades...I decided to try Race Chip in my car. Now, their website only lists the chip for the S90 and XC90 T6 engine, but considering it is the same engine across these platforms I took my risks and ordered it anyway.

I installed this chip in my vehicle and the results are....GREAT! It is now a vehicle with more character...the one most people (including me) think it lacks! Installation is pretty simple, I was done within 20 minutes...once I located the connectors. Put it in the most aggressive map (in theory over 70HP!). I cannot confirm it is 70HP stronger, but my butt dyno says it is a very noticeable improvement. I'm planning on a real dyno test within a few weeks, so I'll post the updates.

I am also building my own cold air induction (CAI), and plan on testing it under the dyno as well to have prove (to me) whether it works or not, as CAIs are always motive for controversy where some people say they don't do anything and others (like me) say they do.

Shifting under full power and load gets even stranger now because it seems like it hits the RPM limiter in the first 4 gears! So, for now I am manually shifting around 6200 RPMs. I do wonder if now Polestar optimization will fix this...it might be more worth the cost now.

Before anyone suggests anything weird, I have no affiliation or receive any compensation from Race Chip...I am just an automobile enthusiast. In the past I've owned a Corvette, AMG E55, Chevy Impala (500 HP) and others...I just like improving my car's HP and efficiency (hard to believe the latter but it is true). I also just wanted to share the info because, from what I've read thus far, there are other enthusiasts like me in this board.
      Last edited by pocholin; 12-04-2019 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added note to updated results
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good luck with the project!

Very interested in your dyno results - would be great if you could post them once done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never knew there were any alternatives for us except for Polestar and Heico. Good to know. Did you have Polestar installed in your Vehicle before going for the Race Chip? I would also love if you could share your Dyno results (if you plan to dyno it)! Good luck with the Car.

EDIT: After checking out their website, I'm surprised they do not provide Dyno results on their website. That would make their numbers so much more credible. It's difficult to digest that they are putting out almost 400 bhp from that tiny 2.0L.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/volvo/s...-295lb-ft.html
      Last edited by Volvolic; 03-05-2019 at 05:44 AM.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Race chip on V90 CC

There’s also Rica in the Netherlands: https://www.rica.nl/chiptuning.php?v=37-632-3230

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by matowi; 03-05-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matowi View Post
      There’s also Rica in the Netherlands: https://www.rica.nl/chiptuning.php?v=37-632-3230

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      That's good to know. Sadly, they are located in the EU. Also, the stage 1 is currently in development (it seems) so they do not have any numbers for the tune!

What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Never knew there were any alternatives for us except for Polestar and Heico. Good to know. Did you have Polestar installed in your Vehicle before going for the Race Chip? I would also love if you could share your Dyno results (if you plan to dyno it)! Good luck with the Car.

EDIT: After checking out their website, I'm surprised they do not provide Dyno results on their website. That would make their numbers so much more credible. It's difficult to digest that they are putting out almost 400 bhp from that tiny 2.0L.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/volvo/s...-295lb-ft.html
      I agree that the dyno would help. I did watch a lot of videos of other car's improvements. That's why I decided to take my chances with them. I haven't put Polestar in the car...yet, perhaps in a few months to see it shifting improves.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

I will definitively be posting the dyno results, no matter the results. To tell the truth, I'll be happy if real improvement is 50 engine HP, as Volvolic said, it is a lot to as from this tiny 2.0L engine. I'll be satisfied if CAI gives me 5-10 HP

Am I correct in assuming this would void my Volvo New Car Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      Hi folks, I've been reading about the Polestar optimization and I've thought it is kind of sad it only provides a few extra HP and torque...although shifting and other things are also improved...while keeping factory warranty. Because of that...and because I most recently come from a BMW with lots of possibilities for performance upgrades...I decided to try Race Chip in my car. Now, their website only lists the chip for the S90 and XC90 T6 engine, but considering it is the same engine across these platforms I took my risks and ordered it anyway.

I installed this chip in my vehicle and the results are....GREAT! It is now a vehicle with more character...the one most people (including me) think it lacks! Installation is pretty simple, I was done within 20 minutes...once I located the connectors. Put it in the most aggressive map (in theory over 70HP!). I cannot confirm it is 70HP stronger, but my butt dyno says it is a very noticeable improvement. I'm planning on a real dyno test within a few weeks, so I'll post the updates.

I am also building my own cold air induction (CAI), and plan on testing it under the dyno as well to have prove (to me) whether it works or not, as CAIs are always motive for controversy where some people say they don't do anything and others (like me) say they do.

Shifting under full power and load gets even stranger now because it seems like it hits the RPM limiter in the first 4 gears! So, for now I am manually shifting around 6200 RPMs. I do wonder if now Polestar optimization will fix this...it might be more worth the cost now.

Before anyone suggests anything weird, I have no affiliation or receive any compensation from Race Chip...I am just an automobile enthusiast. In the past I've owned a Corvette, AMG E55, Chevy Impala (500 HP) and others...I just like improving my car's HP and efficiency (hard to believe the latter but it is true). I also just wanted to share the info because, from what I've read thus far, there are other enthusiasts like me in this board.

Quote Originally Posted by urbaita View Post
      Am I correct in assuming this would void my Volvo New Car Warranty?
      The CPO, extended warranty, maintenance agreement, wear agreement and anything else, but only if you tell them...

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

but only if you tell them...
      I think they'll know it the minute they plug in an OBD II reader.

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      I think they'll know it the minute they plug in an OBD II reader.
      I'm not sure how. This is a physical piggy back. If something were to happen, you unplug it (two plugs), take it off the car and there are no traces of it. It doesn't reprogram anything in your ECU so there are no dates for ECU to record or anything.

In about 20 years (and a few hundreds of thousands of miles) that I've been using chips and piggy backs nothing has ever broken in my cars directly related to them. I'm not naive though, I know that such performance enhancements will prematurely wear items in the car, but I am willing to take my chances and put the extra maintenance in them for the performance and extra fuel efficiency they provide. For example, I change my spark plugs every 20k miles, oil change around 5-8k miles (synthetic), injectors as needed, put an oil catch can (on turbo engines), etc.

Curious to hear if you eventually get Boost Pressure Sensor faults on your car.

Hope it works out!
      '18 V90 R-Design | T6 | Polestar

I'm not sure how. This is a physical piggy back. If something were to happen, you unplug it (two plugs), take it off the car and there are no traces of it. It doesn't reprogram anything in your ECU so there are no dates for ECU to record or anything.

In about 20 years (and a few hundreds of thousands of miles) that I've been using chips and piggy backs nothing has ever broken in my cars directly related to them. I'm not naive though, I know that such performance enhancements will prematurely wear items in the car, but I am willing to take my chances and put the extra maintenance in them for the performance and extra fuel efficiency they provide. For example, I change my spark plugs every 20k miles, oil change around 5-8k miles (synthetic), injectors as needed, put an oil catch can (on turbo engines), etc.
      Chances are they mostly would not care to check for it. But if they wanted to, they surely can prove a piggy-back was used on a car even if you have removed it. The piggy back changes the data and readings fed to the main ECU. Volvo knows what data has to be fed to the ECU depending on the conditions. Your Piggyback is gonna modify that and that's gonna be a redflag for Volvo.

Normally, the SA wouldn't go to the level of checking all this but if a major engine/transmission related component were to fail; I bet, Volvo/Dealership checks up on the ECU input data as a safety measure.

Chances are they mostly would not care to check for it. But if they wanted to, they surely can prove a piggy-back was used on a car even if you have removed it. The piggy back changes the data and readings fed to the main ECU. Volvo knows what data has to be fed to the ECU depending on the conditions. Your Piggyback is gonna modify that and that's gonna be a redflag for Volvo.

Normally, the SA wouldn't go to the level of checking all this but if a major engine/transmission related component were to fail; I bet, Volvo/Dealership checks up on the ECU input data as a safety measure.
      Good and fair point, I'm sure they can do that.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Chances are they mostly would not care to check for it.
      Unless you present them with a major blown-engine warranty claim.

Unless you present them with a major blown-engine warranty claim.
      Haha. Of course!

Curious if you are seeing any MPG improvement close to the 20% they claim? The whole thing (70HP + MPG) just seems to good to be true.

Race chip on V90 CC

Curious if you are seeing any MPG improvement close to the 20% they claim? The whole thing (70HP + MPG) just seems to good to be true.
      For what it’s worth, in my two previous cars, I saw major fuel efficiency improvement after injecting them with a virus

I was especially impressed with the ~15% fuel efficiency gain in my 3-liter diesel BMW I drove before switching to the V90CC T6. I had the Bimmer for 4 years, made around 60k miles and observed a major boost in performance coupled with MPG going from around 20.5 mpg to over 24 mpg, while quite frequently enjoying all the power and torque I had at hand (or foot )... the car was tuned to over 360bhp and over 510 foot-pound... It was a big, heavy and powerful car I (ab)used as a proper hooligan and still managed to use less fuel than with stock engine tune

So, yes, I am convinced that when the right kind of people get to work on a map for an engine, they will squeeze much more performance per every drop of fuel

Not yet, during my short time with it I've only seen streets and a few pulls on the freeway but all at full throttle. I think this tank is seeing ~15 mpg, which is being generous considering I've been driving it like I stole it! I'll be able to measure it this weekend when I will drive about 100 miles of mostly highway and traffic.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

Well hell then this thing may well provide "cost savings". At least that is what we will tell the wives...

Quote Originally Posted by matowi View Post
      For what it’s worth, in my two previous cars, I saw major fuel efficiency improvement after injecting them with a virus

I was especially impressed with the ~15% fuel efficiency gain in my 3-liter diesel BMW I drove before switching to the V90CC T6. I had the Bimmer for 4 years, made around 60k miles and observed a major boost in performance coupled with MPG going from around 20.5 mpg to over 24 mpg, while quite frequently enjoying all the power and torque I had at hand (or foot )... the car was tuned to over 360bhp and over 510 foot-pound... It was a big, heavy and powerful car I (ab)used as a proper hooligan and still managed to use less fuel than with stock engine tune

So, yes, I am convinced that when the right kind of people get to work on a map for an engine, they will squeeze much more performance per every drop of fuel

Well hell then this thing may well provide "cost savings". At least that is what we will tell the wives...
      So true!

At least that what we will tell the wives
      How condescending. My wife, for one, as a multiengine pilot, isn't dumb enough to fall for such phony reasoning. Are there really people still out there who believe that women belong in the kitchen and bedroom while the men handle the serious stuff?

As far as that goes, our V90 and our Porsche are both registered in her name, she'll be the one telling me.

How condescending.
      I don't think we meant it like that. In this day and age very few men would really thing women belong in the kitchen and bedroom.

My wife is a well educated person, a scientist, the one that makes the most money in our household...I still tell her these things are for better efficiency but she knows much better than that, yet she is okay with letting me have my fun with the car. As she says "better you have fun with the car than with women".

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan_p View Post
      Curious to hear if you eventually get Boost Pressure Sensor faults on your car.

Hope it works out!
      No codes after a week of every day driving (only about 7 miles per day split into several trips though)

excuse me,which engine do you have...T6?
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

Ditto. Well said.

I don't think we meant it like that. In this day and age very few men would really thing women belong in the kitchen and bedroom.

My wife is a well educated person, a scientist, the one that makes the most money in our household...I still tell her these things are for better efficiency but she knows much better than that, yet she is okay with letting me have my fun with the car. As she says "better you have fun with the car than with women".

Quote Originally Posted by Chris60 View Post
      excuse me,which engine do you have...T6?
      Oops, need to update my signature, I have a T6.

strange ...the EU racechip site does not include this T6 model at all.
      ...and you are planning to also install polestar on top ?
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

Quote Originally Posted by Chris60 View Post
      strange ...the EU racechip site does not include this T6 model at all.
      ...and you are planning to also install polestar on top ?
      I haven't decided on that yet but most likely I will. I need find out if Polestar raises RPM limiter or not.

That's good to know. Sadly, they are located in the EU. Also, the stage 1 is currently in development (it seems) so they do not have any numbers for the tune!
      Actually they do:

https://rica.nl/nieuws.php?news=101

Race chip on V90 CC

I just bought the RaceChip for my XC90 T6. I already have the Polestar tune installed. Will see if the RaceChip adds anything else on top. I had trouble locating the right connectors. If you have any pictures of which connectors to use on the T6 please post them up.

I originally contacted TDI tuning and Viva Performance and they said the piggy back box for the T6 will likely never come out and/or will be delayed indefinitely. TDI told me they had issues with the T6 being turbo and supercharged and getting the turbo to produce more boost and not generate check engine lights. Based on your feedback it’s encouraging to know it’s been done successfully.

I’ll let everyone know how it goes once i get this RaceChip installed.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by tunedxc60; 03-10-2019 at 12:51 PM.
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Good news! Got the Racechip installed and went for a 20 minute test drive. The install took me about 10 minutes to install the harness and about 30 minutes to tidy up the zip ties, etc.

Results for the T6 + Polestar tune + Racechip GTS = Success!! I'd say the Racechip adds about 15-20 hp on top of the Polestar tune. While this is on my XC90 I'm sure the smaller SPA platform T6 2.0's would get moving even quicker. The throttle in both comfort and sport modes is even more responsive and downshifts around corners put the rpms right in the power band. The increased boost definitely helps. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

The install was super easy once I got the instructions from the Racechip support team. They should just send you a link to them instead of providing the generic paper manual which isn't vehicle specific and didn't help much.
      Attached are the install pictures to help those who decide to go down this route as well.

Racechip GTS
      https://www.racechip.us/shop/volvo/x...-295lb-ft.html

Packaging from Racechip. Ordered on a Monday, arrived by Thursday directly from Germany to the US:

Installation instructions from Racechip support via email after I ran into trouble finding the correct connectors on the vehicle. I'm not sure what vehicle this is but the instructions were extremely valuable. It bugged me because this engine bay doesn't match any SPA platform T6's that I know of. Note how the windshield washer fluid reservoir container cap is on the left of the engine. I think all SPA platform vehicles have them up on the drivers side of the engine bay near the firewall.

Final install shot (Dirty engine bay.... Chicago winters...)
      I used 3m dual lock / velcro type adhesive to stick the unit down.

SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

Very nice! Seems the new S60 can have about same power as the drive-E Polestar model now.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237240 miles [2020-07]

Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Good news! Got the Racechip installed and went for a 20 minute test drive. The install took me about 10 minutes to install the harness and about 30 minutes to tidy up the zip ties, etc.
      Have you tried Map 7? It significantly improves the hp output in comparison from the default map.

Went straight to map 7 to start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast