Race chip on V90 CC - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 147
    1. #36
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      177
      You said an estimate of 15 to 20 hp increase...but Gts claims plus 77hp.
      You think there is something missing there ...?
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris60 View Post
      You said an estimate of 15 to 20 hp increase...but Gts claims plus 77hp.
      You think there is something missing there ...?
      I was wondering the same, butt-dynos are terrible estimators...that's why I am trying to find a dyno facility locally, but I am running into problems, nobody has availability or desire to test my car, they claim the dyno is for their projects...if anyone knows of a friendly facility within Chicagoland of Northwest Indiana, please PM me!
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    4. #38
      Junior Member tunedxc60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      517
      Coincidentally Iím in the exact same location in the US. Iíll let you know if I find an AWD dyno facility that will perform the test.

      Bad news though... Today I got a check engine light. Almost 100% certain itís related to the RaceChip. Iíll scan the code tomorrow and get a picture of whatís going on. Maybe need to dial back the map from 7 to something lower. I notice at full wide open throttle on the highway that power seems to surge in the upper RPM range.




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #39
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris60 View Post
      You said an estimate of 15 to 20 hp increase...but Gts claims plus 77hp.
      You think there is something missing there ...?
      77hp? I think that's optimistic.

      What's the stock max boost pressure on the T6?

      A rule of thumb is ~10hp for each additional 1psi of pressure. The SC has a fixed mechanical ability, and wouldn't help with max HP anyway, so that leaves the turbo. I have no idea if the engine management in a T6 (or T5) even has a variable boost control system that would allow for that sort of additional boost to be built up.

      I suspect that the P* tune is only fuel mapping.

      If this Racechip really does add 77hp I'd be moderately concerned about how it goes about doing that, and whether the engines are designed to cope with the addition air pressures, and if the fuel system is fully up to the task of delivering fuel, consistently, at that level.

      In any event, Volvo should be able to see that 'something' was up if you blow an engine or a transmission. They'll see WAY out of spec boost levels, rpm/shift patterns that aren't to spec, fuel cut levels out of spec, etc., etc..

    7. #40
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      77hp? I think that's optimistic.

      What's the stock max boost pressure on the T6?

      A rule of thumb is ~10hp for each additional 1psi of pressure. The SC has a fixed mechanical ability, and wouldn't help with max HP anyway, so that leaves the turbo. I have no idea if the engine management in a T6 (or T5) even has a variable boost control system that would allow for that sort of additional boost to be built up.

      I suspect that the P* tune is only fuel mapping.

      If this Racechip really does add 77hp I'd be moderately concerned about how it goes about doing that, and whether the engines are designed to cope with the addition air pressures, and if the fuel system is fully up to the task of delivering fuel, consistently, at that level.

      In any event, Volvo should be able to see that 'something' was up if you blow an engine or a transmission. They'll see WAY out of spec boost levels, rpm/shift patterns that aren't to spec, fuel cut levels out of spec, etc., etc..
      I don't know real output right now. However, 77hp increase would be a momentary peak at the most aggressive map. Default is at around 50hp. As caution owner could run it at 40 or 50 hp increase....and still take advantage of increase mpg. This is assuming it does increase 77hp at max.

      That is also why playing with these things is not for everyone, most people want to keep their warranties and not take any risks. I hope people know that if they decide to get a chip.

      Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    8. #41
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Of course it's not 77hp across the entire powerband. But even a 77hp increase at peak output seems unlikely.

      I think the big risk here is that they aren't being forthcoming about HOW they're achieving their claims. And as someone else pointed out, the lack of dynosheets is really sort of a red flag.

      The fact that they're claiming a power increase AND a fuel efficiency increase is a red flag...big time. The only way that's possible is that they're leaning out fuel mixture. In the old days manufacturers used to run forced induction cars a little on the rich side as a sort of safety net. Tuners would lean them out with various methods, some better/safer than others, to gain back some power.

      Since Racechip doesn't seem to be claiming any sort of increased boost, but is claiming increased power and mileage, I think they're just leaning out the fuel somewhere, which is dangerous for the motor if they aren't addressing timing/ignition. The installation photos shown earlier in this thread make me more certain that that's all they're doing since it appears this just connects up to the MAP sensor, and is therefore tricking the main ECU into thinking there's less air going in than there really is, so the ECU provides less fuel. Leaner a/f mixture means more power, to a point, but it also means it's running hotter...and since the ECU thinks there's less air, the ignition map is probably off.

      I bet when/if you get this on a dyno you're going to see a wavy powerband as the engine fights conflicting sensor inputs. Well, that and something far less than the touted power figures.
      Last edited by nbvolks; 01-23-2020 at 10:19 AM.

    9. #42
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post

      The fact that they're claiming a power increase AND a fuel efficiency increase is a red flag...big time.
      Not to me per my experience with other tunes. When you're not on the gas constantly your engine is able to run more efficiently. My BMW wagon gives me 29 mpg under my MHD tune and CAI, it is factory rated at 26 on the highway.

      You do bring a few other good points. I hope I can get it on a dyno to at least prove or disprove Race Chip's claims.

      Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    10. #43
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      807
      Members here who have purchased the Race Chip piggyback, could you, as official customers, request (before and after) dyno charts from Race Chip? I assume they are more obligated to provide you guys with such details which they might not to window shoppers. Just a thought!
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    11. #44
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Members here who have purchased the Race Chip piggyback, could you, as official customers, request (before and after) dyno charts from Race Chip? I assume they are more obligated to provide you guys with such details which they might not to window shoppers. Just a thought!
      In a conversation with Race Chip they said they were excited of an owner taking the car to the dyno as independent results have more credibility than theirs, as people tend to believe they're doctored, they asked me to share it with them as well. I'll contact them and ask them if they can send me theirs.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    12. #45
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      In a conversation with Race Chip they said they were excited of an owner taking the car to the dyno as independent results have more credibility than theirs, as people tend to believe they're doctored, they asked me to share it with them as well. I'll contact them and ask them if they can send me theirs.
      I agree with their credibility claim, BUT...

      Having no readily available dynosheets yet still posting claimed power increases is suspect.

      I'm curious if they'll give you anything, or if they'll just push back on you to wait for your own results. Then when they don't result in their claimed increases there will be an avalanche of excuses from "it's the dyno you used" to "it's something wrong with your car".

      It's like the Tornado Intake all over again!

    13. #46
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      177
      BTW,
      asking racechip(Europe) for a possible tune/chip etc for T6 this is what they replied:

      Thank you for contacting the RaceChip Customer Service.
      Unfortunately we do not offer any chip tuning for your Volvo yet. However, we are constantly expanding our model range and will gladly inform you by e-mail as soon as a product is available for your vehicle.
      The development process can take a few months before a RaceChip is released to assure you maximum performance and a safe drive.
      We appreciate your understanding since we cannot provide an estimated release date.
      '18 XC60 T6 R-design-Polestar-Crystal pearl white-Xenium pack-winter pack-paddles-smartphone int.-high line lights-21" 255/40/21

    14. #47
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris60 View Post
      BTW,
      asking racechip(Europe) for a possible tune/chip etc for T6 this is what they replied:

      Thank you for contacting the RaceChip Customer Service.
      Unfortunately we do not offer any chip tuning for your Volvo yet. However, we are constantly expanding our model range and will gladly inform you by e-mail as soon as a product is available for your vehicle.
      The development process can take a few months before a RaceChip is released to assure you maximum performance and a safe drive.
      We appreciate your understanding since we cannot provide an estimated release date.
      That is the same boiler-plate answer I got when I asked about the chip for the V90. Not surprised if you told them XC60 T6.

      Considering the T6 engine is the same across their models I went ahead and ordered mine as if I had a S90, it worked...even they said it made sense when I "confessed" I had a V90.
      Last edited by pocholin; 03-13-2019 at 11:29 AM.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    15. #48
      Junior Member tunedxc60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      517
      Iím not completely satisfied that going to map 7 on the RaceChip is giving me a check engine light with with a po23d map sensor error. Iím going to try to clear it and see if it returns while keeping it on map 7. If it comes back Iíll repeat the process at map 6 and so on to develop an understanding on how high it can be at without triggering a code. Iím not thrilled about having to settle for less performance.

      Im surprised you havenít triggered any codes? Did you get the RaceChip GTS?



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

    16. #49
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      Have you checked your connections? I'd start there and reset the light. If it comes back then try map 6. I haven't had any errors but I've only driven about 100 miles in all this time.

      Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    17. #50
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      The error is because the Racechip device is apparently just tricking the MAP sensor signal the ECU is seeing to change the fueling.

      The ECU is rightly calling out an error with the MAP sensor because it's seeing it as out of spec with all the other inputs.

      You both might not be getting the same error for any number of reasons, like air temp, altitude, or how hard you're revving it.

      I'll stress again that this way of tweaking engine performance is not a good idea.

    18. #51
      Junior Member VolvoCPA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Northeastern USA
      Posts
      186
      I am skeptical; wouldn't Polestar and Heico tunes have gone to these levels earlier if sustainable?
      Last edited by VolvoCPA; 03-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design with Polestar in Black/Black and 2008 XC90 V8 Sport in Black/Calcite Cream
      formerly: Four S60s (all 5 cylinder/one an R), One S80 T6 Executive and Two XC90s (4 cylinder/8 cylinder non-sport)

    19. #52
      Junior Member VolvoCPA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Northeastern USA
      Posts
      186
      The former e-Drive Polestar tapped out at 360+tq with added hardware.
      So software only on the same engine getting to 390+tq would be truly amazing.
      I doubt component parts such as trans and turbo were they built to handle the extra load?
      Probably also very hard to keep the supercharger and turbo in synch; much easier if only a turbo to deal with.
      Last edited by VolvoCPA; 03-14-2019 at 12:24 PM.
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design with Polestar in Black/Black and 2008 XC90 V8 Sport in Black/Calcite Cream
      formerly: Four S60s (all 5 cylinder/one an R), One S80 T6 Executive and Two XC90s (4 cylinder/8 cylinder non-sport)

    20. #53
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by VolvoCPA View Post
      The former e-Drive Polestar tapped out at 360+tq with added hardware.
      So software only on the same engine getting to 390+tq would be truly amazing.
      I doubt component parts such as trans and turbo were they built to handle the extra load?
      Probably also very hard to keep the supercharger and turbo in synch; much easier if only a turbo to deal with.
      The Racechip thing isn't software in the same sense that P* is. The P* tune gives the ECU a completely revised set of fuel and ignition maps. It's a holistic approach. Racechip appears to be like the APEXi S-AFC of ol', in that it's just a piggy back system on the MAP sensor that sends an altered signal to the ECU.

      The APEXi S-AFC was popular with the "tuner" crowd back in the early to mid 00s...and then people rightly threw them in the garbage because while they were great at leaning out fuel, by tricking the ECU, they (like the Racechip) didn't address other inputs (e.g. ignition maps) so cars were run lean with the wrong timing under load. That equals a popped motor, and there were LOTS of them.

    21. #54
      Junior Member VolvoCPA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Northeastern USA
      Posts
      186
      Good insight; I will pass on RaceChip.
      Leaning burning = Metal melting
      Heico tune at 340hp is the safe limit for now on the T6...
      I'll stay with my Polestar tune as is.
      Good luck to all going for it; I really hope for the best.
      Check engine lights are a nuance but a blown engine is really bad news.
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design with Polestar in Black/Black and 2008 XC90 V8 Sport in Black/Calcite Cream
      formerly: Four S60s (all 5 cylinder/one an R), One S80 T6 Executive and Two XC90s (4 cylinder/8 cylinder non-sport)

    22. #55
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      651
      Iím sorry, Iíve never been a fan of piggyback controllers. Everyone Iíve seen people use always turns into a nightmare, for cars or power sports applications. My neighbor just dropped over $1,000.00 on two fuel injectors and a piggyback controller for his Polaris RZR Turbo. At least they gave him bigger injectors, thatís a step in the right direction.
      2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD FSD
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvoís: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

    23. #56
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2017
      Posts
      275
      To be fair, there has been a lot of development of piggy back computers since Apexi S-AFC days (I had one as well as a Greddy e-manage which was somewhat more advanced and could control ignition). Up until recently, I had a BMW w/ a piggyback and it didn't just modify the MAP inputs, there was more. It's tricking the ECU but doing more than just modifying voltage like the stuff 20 years ago did.

      I'm skeptical of the Racechip claims, but I do think that piggybacks can add value. At least on my BMW, the piggyback had some failsafes built in that an ECU flash tune would not.

      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      The Racechip thing isn't software in the same sense that P* is. The P* tune gives the ECU a completely revised set of fuel and ignition maps. It's a holistic approach. Racechip appears to be like the APEXi S-AFC of ol', in that it's just a piggy back system on the MAP sensor that sends an altered signal to the ECU.

      The APEXi S-AFC was popular with the "tuner" crowd back in the early to mid 00s...and then people rightly threw them in the garbage because while they were great at leaning out fuel, by tricking the ECU, they (like the Racechip) didn't address other inputs (e.g. ignition maps) so cars were run lean with the wrong timing under load. That equals a popped motor, and there were LOTS of them.

    24. #57
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by jeff191 View Post
      To be fair, there has been a lot of development of piggy back computers since Apexi S-AFC days (I had one as well as a Greddy e-manage which was somewhat more advanced and could control ignition). Up until recently, I had a BMW w/ a piggyback and it didn't just modify the MAP inputs, there was more. It's tricking the ECU but doing more than just modifying voltage like the stuff 20 years ago did.

      I'm skeptical of the Racechip claims, but I do think that piggybacks can add value. At least on my BMW, the piggyback had some failsafes built in that an ECU flash tune would not.
      It's simply not physically possible for a piggyback system to adjust for other inputs. It only knows what it sees from the sensor(s) it's piggybacked to. The only thing I see that this RaceChip unit has over the old APEXi S-AFC is that it's pre-programmed. So maybe their pre-sets can't get you in as much trouble as the S-AFC did where people would just keep leaning it out until... pop goes the motor.

      But there's nothing to indicate that the RaceChip unit is doing anything more than applying pre-set voltage changes between the MAP sensor and the ECU. What else could it possibly do, if it's only point of reference is the MAP sensor itself? It's not seeing injector duty cycles for example, and it has no control over those things.

      I don't want to comment on the BMW piggy-back you had, but in general, a competent reflash or complete ECU replacement is leaps and bounds better than ANY single or combination of piggy-back systems, as it would take into account all inputs and be programmed to respond accordingly.
      Last edited by nbvolks; 03-15-2019 at 01:00 PM.

    25. #58
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      It's simply not physically possible for a piggyback system to adjust for other inputs. It only knows what it sees from the sensor(s) it's piggybacked to. The only thing I see that this RaceChip unit has over the old APEXi S-AFC is that it's pre-programmed. So maybe their pre-sets can't get you in as much trouble as the S-AFC did where people would just keep leaning it out until... pop goes the motor.

      But there's nothing to indicate that the RaceChip unit is doing anything more than applying pre-set voltage changes between the MAP sensor and the ECU. What else could it possibly do, if it's only point of reference is the MAP sensor itself? It's not seeing injector duty cycles for example, and it has no control over those things.

      I don't want to comment on the BMW piggy-back you had, but in general, a competent reflash or complete ECU replacement is leaps and bounds better than ANY single or combination of piggy-back systems, as it would take into account all inputs and be programmed to respond accordingly.
      BMW piggy-back is much more advanced than Racechip. For example, it knows your engine temperature so it won't realize full boost until optimal temp is achieved. I do agree with some of the comments that criticize Racechip, as it does seem a simple approach, for a given value seen in MAP, fake a lower MAP signal to trick your turbo boost sensor to send a higher boost signal...or something like that, but that's it, no further adjustments like BMW's that really plugs into the ECU in many ways.

      T6 engine is a technological marvel, 316 HP from a 2.0L is exceptional but, because it is used on such a heavy car, it cannot give the car a defined driving character. Now that I put this piggy-back the car has the character is was lacking (already mentioned in my first post) and I'm happy with the results, even if it doesn't produce the advertised 77HP.

      In my case, I'm not on the gas all the time, so it might work for me for the way I drive, but I'm sure it won't work for everyone.

      The purpose of sharing real findings (and future experiences, good and bad) is to inform other enthusiast since there's hardly anything that can be done to our cars to improve/fine tune a few things here and there. For example, I still cannot find any information on FMICs or downpipes for T5 or T6 engines.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    26. #59
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall, NY
      Posts
      518
      "The T6 engine is a technological marvel, 316 HP from a 2.0L..."

      To be precise, the engine size is 1,969cc, not 2,000. Mine supposedly puts out 329 hp, since I Polestarred.

    27. #60
      Junior Member VolvoCPA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Northeastern USA
      Posts
      186
      I agree; the T6 is pretty amazing, especially with the 330hp/325ftlbs of torque polestar tune.

      https://engineered.polestar.com/us/p...tomatic-2019-7
      Last edited by VolvoCPA; 03-15-2019 at 05:24 PM.
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design with Polestar in Black/Black and 2008 XC90 V8 Sport in Black/Calcite Cream
      formerly: Four S60s (all 5 cylinder/one an R), One S80 T6 Executive and Two XC90s (4 cylinder/8 cylinder non-sport)

    28. #61
      Junior Member tunedxc60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      517
      Iím running map 3 with no issues so far.

      Results :
      map 7 - check engine light
      Map 0 - ok
      Map 1 - ok
      Map 2 - ok
      Map 3 - ok
      Map 4, 5, 6 - still to test

      Remember my car already has Polestar so the results may vary against a non polestar optimized T6 2.0.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

    29. #62
      Junior Member tunedxc60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      517
      Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Iím running map 3 with no issues so far.

      Results :
      map 7 - check engine light
      Map 0 - ok
      Map 1 - ok
      Map 2 - ok
      Map 3 - ok
      Map 4, 5, 6 - still to test

      Remember my car already has Polestar so the results may vary against a non polestar optimized T6 2.0.

      Map 4 produces a check engine light. So basically anyone considering the RaceChip GTS on a T6 SPA platform that already has Polestar optimization can expect to be only to run at Map 3 and below before check engine lights occur.

      Iíll see if I can get a pre/post install dyno done over the next month to see if any change in performance occurs.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

    30. #63
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      When you have it dynoed, make sure the tech overlays the fuel-to-air ratio. And do a baseline run with the RaceChip add-on completely disconnected.

    31. #64
      Junior Member Volvolic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      807
      Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Map 4 produces a check engine light. So basically anyone considering the RaceChip GTS on a T6 SPA platform that already has Polestar optimization can expect to be only to run at Map 3 and below before check engine lights occur.

      Iíll see if I can get a pre/post install dyno done over the next month to see if any change in performance occurs.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Does RaceChip provide any discription of the differences between the various maps? I would assume (maybe) the reason for a CEL for Map 4 and above might be the Polestar tune. A non-polestar'd 90 series Vehice probably might be what Racechip used to design the piggyback.
      2018 Volvo V90 CC T6 Polestar'd

      What It's Like To Own A Volvo V90 Cross Country?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYbC8bg-N8c

    32. #65
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by Volvolic View Post
      Does RaceChip provide any discription of the differences between the various maps? I would assume (maybe) the reason for a CEL for Map 4 and above might be the Polestar tune. A non-polestar'd 90 series Vehice probably might be what Racechip used to design the piggyback.
      It makes sense that the P* tune would trigger a CEL on a lower setting, as I'm sure part of the P* tune are more aggressive fuel and timing maps.

      If the RaceChip is just a "dumb" signal in signal out device, which I believe it is, then it's just taking the MAP signal and changing it by X% for each setting. So for example...

      Setting 1: change by 5%
      Setting 2: change by 7%
      Setting 3: change by 10%
      .
      .
      .


      It has no idea if the car is using a stock set of fuel maps or P* fuel maps, but applying those changes on top of the already more aggressive P* maps would trigger faults at a lower RaceChip setting.




      (My standard warning again: You're playing with fire with these RaceChip piggybacks)
      Last edited by nbvolks; 01-23-2020 at 10:22 AM.

    33. #66
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277

      Update

      I've finally had the chance to put some miles in the car. Three times I've gotten P023D error code in Maps 7 & 6 . No codes in Map 5. There is a noticeable difference in power between Map 5 & 7, it certainly seems like the ECU is catching up and detecting something doesn't add up, thus the code. I'll continue to monitor.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    34. #67
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      BTW, I created my very-rudimentary CAI, with even-more-rudimentary "enclosure". While the "enclosure" doesn't completely isolate the filter from the engine bay heat, it should be good enough to keep it from soaking too much heat at idle, no concerns once the car is moving ~15MPH and more.

      Initial thoughts:
      -It doesn't add any HP...if it does it could be 2-5 HP
      -Engine/intake at WOT doesn't make much more noise that is noticeable (in the BMW the turbos spool was louder, and in a 2004 Maxima (non turbo) the higher RPM range was extremely loud)
      -Combined with the piggy-back they seem to have a nice effect in fuel economy, car averaged 31.7 MPG (US) in a 26 mile in-city trip, trying to keep the car around 70 MPH

      Tonight I'll be taking a 4-hour trip, that will tell more on reliability (code-free) and efficiency.
      IMG-20190320-WA0020.jpg
      IMG-20190320-WA0022.jpg
      _20190322_071807.JPG
      Last edited by pocholin; 03-22-2019 at 07:47 AM.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    35. #68
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      284
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      BTW, I created my very-rudimentary CAI, with even-more-rudimentary "enclosure". While the "enclosure" doesn't completely isolate the filter from the engine bay heat, it should be good enough to keep it from soaking too much heat at idle, no concerns once the car is moving ~15MPH and more.

      Initial thoughts:
      -It doesn't add any HP...if it does it could be 2-5 HP
      -Engine/intake at WOT doesn't make much more noise that is noticeable (in the BMW the turbos spool was louder, and in a 2004 Maxima (non turbo) the higher RPM range was extremely loud)
      -Combined with the piggy-back they seem to have a nice effect in fuel economy, car averaged 31.7 MPG (US) in a 26 mile in-city trip, trying to keep the car around 70 MPH

      Tonight I'll be taking a 4-hour trip, that will tell more on reliability (code-free) and efficiency.
      IMG-20190320-WA0020.jpg
      IMG-20190320-WA0022.jpg
      _20190322_071807.JPG
      Isn't the stock airbox a cold air intake? Would a drop in filter be better than making a new enclosure?

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    36. #69
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      55
      Just picked up my V90 CC from a dyno test. The car is stock and todayís run was to be a baseline to measure agains once I get the polestar tune. The baseline result came up extremely disappointing:

      * 255 hp at the crank
      * 196 hp at the wheels
      * 280 lb ft torque

      These arenít even close to claimed stock values. The dyno is well calibrated and run by people who know what they do. Itís of course able to measure 4x4 cars

      What would you recommend I do? I paid for a 300+ hp car, but am getting T5 level power instead


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    37. #70
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      277
      Quote Originally Posted by matowi View Post
      Just picked up my V90 CC from a dyno test. The car is stock and todayís run was to be a baseline to measure agains once I get the polestar tune. The baseline result came up extremely disappointing:

      * 255 hp at the crank
      * 196 hp at the wheels
      * 280 lb ft torque

      These arenít even close to claimed stock values. The dyno is well calibrated and run by people who know what they do. Itís of course able to measure 4x4 cars

      What would you recommend I do? I paid for a 300+ hp car, but am getting T5 level power instead


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Wow, that is very disappointing and disturbing to learn! I still can't find someone that will dyno my car within my area!

      Dumb questions but I'm going to ask them anyway, I'm sure you considered these facts but...did you use 91+ octane fuel? Was the car well ventilated? Was the A/C off?

      Perhaps you could write a letter to Volvo NA along with your dyno sheets to officially complain. If this dyno is right, like you said, you are indeed getting T5 advertised numbers for the price of T6. Moreover, you should start your own thread for higher visibility and awareness of this community.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. V90(CC) Spare wheel space vs Ocean Race
      By nquery in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 27
      Last Post: 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM
    2. New V90 CC Ocean Race
      By Bmo Pete in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: 04-02-2019, 10:29 AM
    3. V90 CC T6 Ocean Race - included accessory bag stuff?
      By hackR in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 11-03-2018, 10:02 PM
    4. V90 CC Ocean Race Air Suspension Stuck?
      By odonnebj in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 09-02-2018, 10:25 AM
    5. Volvo Car Canada Announces V90 and V90 CC Pricing and Packaging
      By alex_v in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 11-02-2016, 05:18 PM