Race chip on V90 CC - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 147
    1. #71
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      6,024
      Quote Originally Posted by matowi View Post
      Just picked up my V90 CC from a dyno test. The car is stock and today’s run was to be a baseline to measure agains once I get the polestar tune. The baseline result came up extremely disappointing:

      * 255 hp at the crank
      * 196 hp at the wheels
      * 280 lb ft torque

      These aren’t even close to claimed stock values. The dyno is well calibrated and run by people who know what they do. It’s of course able to measure 4x4 cars

      What would you recommend I do? I paid for a 300+ hp car, but am getting T5 level power instead


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I assume you used premium gas? Are you at sea level? I wonder if this dyno is set-up to measure AWD cars that are front wheel biased; this specific Borg Warner unit? Some dyno's are not as sophisticated in eliminating speed bias between the drums caused by our cars. Have they tested other V90's, T5 or T6? ..or other models with the Drive-e T6 AWD? The dyno guys may know their stuff in general, but you'd be more comfortable if they've had experience with this driveline. I'd like to know they can validate your numbers against another Volvo with the same engine and trans? Do they have record of other T6 Drive-e AWD measuring ~300hp at the crank? Just saying, be sure they are adequately measuring your car. Maybe try another dyno?
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

      Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #72
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by matowi View Post
      Just picked up my V90 CC from a dyno test. The car is stock and today’s run was to be a baseline to measure agains once I get the polestar tune. The baseline result came up extremely disappointing:

      * 255 hp at the crank
      * 196 hp at the wheels
      * 280 lb ft torque

      These aren’t even close to claimed stock values. The dyno is well calibrated and run by people who know what they do. It’s of course able to measure 4x4 cars

      What would you recommend I do? I paid for a 300+ hp car, but am getting T5 level power instead


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      What type of dyno was used? Mustang? DynoJet? Dynapack? Also, please post the graph so we can see what the tech put in for smoothing and other settings.

      Each will give you a different result. A Dynojet is the most "standard" option with only minimal operator input variances, whereas if it's a Mustang dyno, it's totally at the whim of the operator. I avoid shops using Mustang dynos because I've seen, first hand, more than a few owners that change up the settings enough to under report power output so they can get the person in for "tuning" at their hourly rate. Then after a few hours and no real changes, magically they have the car making more power.

      I'd say your results seem more than a little off. The crank hp rating is an estimate the dyno will spit out based on inputs from the operator. So in this case they're assuming ~23% loss through the transmission. That's probably not outrageous, but what gear did they do the pull in?

      And as someone else asked, what octane were you running?

    4. #73
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      55
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post

      Dumb questions but I'm going to ask them anyway, I'm sure you considered these facts but...did you use 91+ octane fuel? Was the car well ventilated? Was the A/C off?

      The car was on 95 octane fuel (I live in Europe). The shop is run by a professional tuner, who deal on daily basis with vehicles worth multiple of what my Volvo cost me. So, yup, they know their stuff. They worked on my previous car (BMW 535d x-drive MY2015) and all was okay...


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #74
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      55
      Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete View Post
      I assume you used premium gas? Are you at sea level? I wonder if this dyno is set-up to measure AWD cars that are front wheel biased; this specific Borg Warner unit? Some dyno's are not as sophisticated in eliminating speed bias between the drums caused by our cars. Have they tested other V90's, T5 or T6? ..or other models with the Drive-e T6 AWD? The dyno guys may know their stuff in general, but you'd be more comfortable if they've had experience with this driveline. I'd like to know they can validate your numbers against another Volvo with the same engine and trans? Do they have record of other T6 Drive-e AWD measuring ~300hp at the crank? Just saying, be sure they are adequately measuring your car. Maybe try another dyno?
      1) gas was 95 octanes (standard in Europe)

      2) it is a”MAHA” type dyno unit which is set up for 4x4 vehicles. I haven’t enquired if the car being of the Haldex variety may impact the result so significantly

      3) they have tested a number of other Volvo’s. The owner also runs a Volvo dealership and service shop. They typically see a loss of around 3-5% of claimed power. Not almost 18% as in my case

      4) will try another dyno, for sure

      5) I’m pretty down today :/


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    7. #75
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by matowi View Post
      The car was on 95 octane fuel (I live in Europe). The shop is run by a professional tuner, who deal on daily basis with vehicles worth multiple of what my Volvo cost me. So, yup, they know their stuff. They worked on my previous car (BMW 535d x-drive MY2015) and all was okay...


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      95 RON octane is about 91 AKI octane. I'm willing to bet the numbers Volvo touts are the result of 98 RON (93 AKI). But that wouldn't explain THAT large of a difference particularly given that the torque number still seems reasonable.

      Also, you didn't say what brand of dyno was used.

    8. #76
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      55
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      What type of dyno was used? Mustang? DynoJet? Dynapack? Also, please post the graph so we can see what the tech put in for smoothing and other settings.
      It’s a MAHA unit (German). Pic below



      It’s in Polish, translations follow. The most important box is the one with numbers below the graph on the left. Going from the top:

      “Normative power output”
      “Power output at the crank”
      “Power output at the wheels”
      “Power output loss”
      “Maximum power output at X rpm”
      “Torque” (380 Nm roughly equals 280 lb ft)

      Interestingly, the engine only revved up to 5765 rpm... strange as it may be. They couldn’t explain why it refused to go higher



      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post

      I'd say your results seem more than a little off. The crank hp rating is an estimate the dyno will spit out based on inputs from the operator. So in this case they're assuming ~23% loss through the transmission. That's probably not outrageous, but what gear did they do the pull in?

      And as someone else asked, what octane were you running?
      The car was tested in Dynamic setting with the gears changed manually by the operator.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    9. #77
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by matowi View Post
      It’s a MAHA unit (German). Pic below



      It’s in Polish, translations follow. The most important box is the one with numbers below the graph on the left. Going from the top:

      “Normative power output”
      “Power output at the crank”
      “Power output at the wheels”
      “Power output loss”
      “Maximum power output at X rpm”
      “Torque” (380 Nm roughly equals 280 lb ft)

      Interestingly, the engine only revved up to 5765 rpm... strange as it may be. They couldn’t explain why it refused to go higher





      The car was tested in Dynamic setting with the gears changed manually by the operator.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Manually shifting through the gears, but the pull was done in which gear? Third?

      If the car stopped at 5765rpm, you wouldn't see peak HP at that point. Based on the graph, it looks like they either let off the gas, or the engine shutdown at 5000rpm. So that's your issue.

      Also, your torque and hp lines are crossing at the wrong spot. I'm confused by that, since they by definition need to cross each other at 5252rpm.

      Anyway, I wouldn't fee too bad about things looking at that. It's an incomplete dyno run, so it's not telling you the entire story. And since the torque numbers seem about right, and the car wasn't run beyond 5k rpm, I'd say it would have made the right amount of hp if allowed to run all the way up.

    10. #78
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      55

      Race chip on V90 CC

      Thanks for some cheering up!

      The question I - and the dyno guys - can’t answer is why the engine didn’t want to go beyond the 5,5k rpm threshold. They ran the car a few times and each ended in the same way. Would this be possible for example due to tyre slip on the rolls (this was on winter tyres)?

      I don’t know how they changed the gears actually. The printout I posted reads at the top “manual gear change”. I wasn’t present at the shop at the time. They came to pick the car up and brought it back afterwards



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by matowi; 03-22-2019 at 05:08 PM.

    11. #79
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      55

      Race chip on V90 CC

      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Also, your torque and hp lines are crossing at the wrong spot. I'm confused by that, since they by definition need to cross each other at 5252rpm.
      I may be wrong, but isn’t it that the intersection of the torque and power lines depends on how you scale the vertical axes and whether you use imperial units or metric units? In my case, the plot is in metric units and the left and right hand side axes have different scales, so the intersection point is not at 5252 rpm in this case




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by matowi; 03-22-2019 at 05:07 PM.

    12. #80
      Junior Member TnoV60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      603
      Good to know about this kind of alternative. In US, we are more about TDI Tuning Box you can find it on Viva performance
      It will be interesting to compare both of them
      2016 V60 T5 2.0 FWD Premier Onyx Black Metallic: : BLIS | ERST Intake | IPD Rear Sway Bar | IPD F&R End Links | Powerflex "Race" Torque Rod | RD Suspension | IPD Skid Plate | Volvo Cap Mirror Satin Presentation
      Sold 2008 S40 2.4 FWD - Grey Metallic | K&N Filter | B4 & Koni Suspension

      Monthly Seattle, WA: Meet and Greet Topic: HERE

    13. #81
      Junior Member tunedxc60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      517

      Race chip on V90 CC

      FYI all , I’m returning the RaceChip due to the check engine lights. The Polestar tune + RaceChip just doesn’t work without throwing codes. Too bad soo sad, I was hopeful for a little more performance.

      While I was accelerating I could tell that at higher rpms the factory ecu was pulling timing to compensate for the aggressive tune. It would accelerate great at low rpms then hit a brick wall for acceleration in the upper revs.




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by tunedxc60; 03-23-2019 at 04:01 PM.
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

    14. #82
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271
      I drove over 600 miles this weekend. My check engine light, and same code, came a couple of times during slow traffic times while in Eco drive mode. Come to think about it, the other two times the code came up were in the same drive mode. I'll only drive in comfort and dynamic in the next two weeks to see if that is what is going on.

      During highway only drive I managed a 30.8mpg US (per manual division, but very close to car's computer's 31.3), I was trying to keep it around 72MPH to get efficient results under Eco drive mode. This was on Map 7, with a couple of hard pulls (temporarily switched to dynamic drive mode) from 70 mph to speed limiter. In a very unscientific but fun method, comparing videos from stock to yesterday, the 75mph to 125 mph sprint was two full seconds shorter under RaceChip.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    15. #83
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      580
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      .. the 75mph to 125 mph sprint was two full seconds shorter under RaceChip.
      Where are you able to find somewhere to safely hit 125 mph? track?
      2018 V90CC Ocean Race, Blond/Charcoal Interior, Polestar (OSD July, 2018)

    16. #84
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271
      Quote Originally Posted by nquery View Post
      Where are you able to find somewhere to safely hit 125 mph? track?
      Admittedly, I never said safely. However, I didn't put anybody else at risk but myself as there were no other cars around me nor did I pass anyone. It takes short of 11 seconds to get there.

      Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    17. #85
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271

      July update

      I've had Racechip in the car for a few months, although I was never able to dyno the car, here are some positive and negative observations:

      Positive:
      Better acceleration in every driving mode (most noticeable on Dynamic)
      Better gas mileage when driving like a normal person
      Car becomes fun to drive
      I can get the car to brake the rear tires loose for just a moment when taking off from 0MPH

      Negative:
      I get the Check Engine light (P023D) in every map # when I hesitate with the acceleration. When I press the accelerator (~half way through) for a fraction of a second and then let go (let's say when in traffic you see an opening and then decide not to go). My guess is because the throttle position and turbo pressure request didn't match the output turbo pressure right at the moment when I let go of the accelerator. There must be a very small delay in the piggyback that the ECU catches when this happens.
      - Although the check engine light is on for P023D the car continues to operate at normal power.
      - The annoying part is having to reset the Check engine light when this happens, luckily it only takes 40-50 seconds to get this done. Unfortunately, I have to be at full stop to get this done.

      Recently, I took the piggyback off to take the car to the dealer for oil change and I realized how much I missed it after a couple of days. To me, temporarily, it is worth having to reset the engine light from time to time...at least until Racechip officially comes up with the chip for the V90.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    18. #86
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
      I've had Racechip in the car for a few months, although I was never able to dyno the car, here are some positive and negative observations:

      Positive:
      Better acceleration in every driving mode (most noticeable on Dynamic)
      Better gas mileage when driving like a normal person
      Car becomes fun to drive
      I can get the car to brake the rear tires loose for just a moment when taking off from 0MPH

      Negative:
      I get the Check Engine light (P023D) in every map # when I hesitate with the acceleration. When I press the accelerator (~half way through) for a fraction of a second and then let go (let's say when in traffic you see an opening and then decide not to go). My guess is because the throttle position and turbo pressure request didn't match the output turbo pressure right at the moment when I let go of the accelerator. There must be a very small delay in the piggyback that the ECU catches when this happens.
      - Although the check engine light is on for P023D the car continues to operate at normal power.
      - The annoying part is having to reset the Check engine light when this happens, luckily it only takes 40-50 seconds to get this done. Unfortunately, I have to be at full stop to get this done.

      Recently, I took the piggyback off to take the car to the dealer for oil change and I realized how much I missed it after a couple of days. To me, temporarily, it is worth having to reset the engine light from time to time...at least until Racechip officially comes up with the chip for the V90.
      P032D = MAP sensor error. Best of luck explaining that one to Volvo when/if you grenade the motor and have to wipe the memory before dropping it off at the dealership. They'll ask why the car was wiped.

    19. #87
      Member lamarguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Austin
      Posts
      1,476
      I'm late to this party, but I really appreciate the entertainment, guys!

      I was on pins and needles reading through the "I installed a crappy piggyback boost controller on top of my P* tune" posts and they did not disappoint. Bravo.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

    20. #88
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      P032D = MAP sensor error. Best of luck explaining that one to Volvo when/if you grenade the motor and have to wipe the memory before dropping it off at the dealership. They'll ask why the car was wiped.
      Let's not blow things out of proportion

      Let's do that when I put larger turbo, overdrive the super charger and add NOX Just kidding.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    21. #89
      Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      I'm late to this party, but I really appreciate the entertainment, guys!

      I was on pins and needles reading through the "I installed a crappy piggyback boost controller on top of my P* tune" posts and they did not disappoint. Bravo.
      lolol brutal.

      where's the popcorn emoji when you need one.

    22. #90
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271
      Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      I'm late to this party, but I really appreciate the entertainment, guys!

      I was on pins and needles reading through the "I installed a crappy piggyback boost controller on top of my P* tune" posts and they did not disappoint. Bravo.
      That's what people used to say about MHD (for N54 BMW) when it first released...and they've proven much better than crappy. At times, it can prove right to try new technologies.

      Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      lolol brutal.

      where's the popcorn emoji when you need one.
      This is the best I could find
      Last edited by pocholin; 07-15-2019 at 01:13 PM.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    23. #91
      Junior Member VolvoCPA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Northeastern USA
      Posts
      186
      Anyone try the CPAChip Tuning or have any further experiences with the Racechip?
      2019 S60 T6 R-Design with Polestar in Black/Black and 2008 XC90 V8 Sport in Black/Calcite Cream
      formerly: Four S60s (all 5 cylinder/one an R), One S80 T6 Executive and Two XC90s (4 cylinder/8 cylinder non-sport)

    24. #92
      Junior Member tunedxc60's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      517
      Quote Originally Posted by VolvoCPA View Post
      Anyone try the CPAChip Tuning or have any further experiences with the Racechip?
      Totally would NOT recommend the Racechip. Big thumbs down.

      It only modifies the fuel (leans it out) and does not modify boost (would be much better)... Butt dyno felt more power on the highest map but at 3/4 to full throttle felt surges in power and by no means was it even power delivery. Also in every single map other than 0 (off mode/disabled) I was getting check engine lights.

      On the plus side Racechip provided me a full refund with very little hassle once I sent it back to them in Germany.

      Long story short, not ready for prime time. I think these t6/t8 motors will never be good candidates for non factory tuning due to the way the torque management is controlled to mix the turbo/super chargers and electric motor (on the t8).



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2018 XC90 T6 Inscription - Polestar tune + Racechip GTS, and Stealth Hitch
      2011 C30 (Ex K-Pax Racing)
      SOLD: 2016 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum/Inscription - Full bolt ons (Snabb air intake & turbo pipe, Do88 Intercooler, Viva Hybrid Turbo, Ferrita downpipe, IPD exhaust catback, H&R Springs), Stage 3 Hilton Tune: Dual JL Audio 10" stealth subs & 750Watt amp

    25. #93
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271
      Quote Originally Posted by VolvoCPA View Post
      Anyone try the CPAChip Tuning or have any further experiences with the Racechip?
      No, but it seems to be the same principle of RaceChip.

      As tunedxc60 said, the power delivery is not smooth, you can feel it surging on higher gears, like 4th, 5th and so on. However, it does the trick and wakes the engine up. I also agree that it doesn’t feel like it produce as much power as claimed but it is still a noticeable amount of power increase.

      In theory, RaceChip doesn’t exist for our V90, which explains/justifies the fact that we are getting a check engine light often (and could explain the surges). CPA Chip states they make one specifically for V90 2.0 T6, so the question is…will it perform better? Buy one and let us know
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    26. #94
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271

      12/4/19 update

      Well, a few months ago I started talking to Racechip since I noticed they added App control (Bluetooth). So I asked them if I could upgrade to that chip and have them look at my check engine light errors and logs to fix the issue. Their answer was yet but I had to pay some difference for the App control..not a big deal.

      I first sent my module back to them, they reprogrammed it but (by mistake) didn't add the Bluetooth, crap! Anyway, I kept the reprogrammed module for about a month and test drove it. It continued giving me check engine lights in every map. I kept record of codes and logs, eventually I sent the module back to them with the logs. They sent me a new one with the bluetooth functionality, I wasn't expecting them to do that but I was glad when I got it (in a subsequent email they said there was no way to add bluetooth to my existing unit, so they had to send me a new one).

      I've tested the new module with the App control and after 1,300 miles (~1,100 miles road trip to Missouri) I got no check engine lights at all, I've been playing between maps and everything works well! I still don't think the car is making 77HP but it is definitely much more, enough to get the rear wheel to brake loose and hop (wheel-hop). Even in Dynamic mode I still have to shift manually, otherwise it hits the rev limiter, but that's okay!

      In my recent trip, I got 26.4 MPG (manual calculation) at a cruise speed of ~76-78 MPH with a full car and large Yakima carrier box, there were strong winds all the drive (coincidentally, on the way there and on the way back), so I do think that gas mileage was pretty good considering the conditions and load (2 adults, 1 kid, 1 dog, lots of luggage inside the car and out in the carrier box).

      I still haven't found a shop that will let me dyno the car though, if anyone has a connection in Chicago area, please do recommend it.

      Time to add Polestar!
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    27. #95
      Junior Member csiever's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      60

      Warranty and 3rd party accessories

      Quote Originally Posted by urbaita View Post
      Am I correct in assuming this would void my Volvo New Car Warranty?


      Not in the US. According to the FTC: "The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part." With the caveat: "Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs."

      https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

    28. #96
      Junior Member csiever's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by tunedxc60 View Post
      Totally would NOT recommend the Racechip. Big thumbs down.

      It only modifies the fuel (leans it out) and does not modify boost (would be much better)... Butt dyno felt more power on the highest map but at 3/4 to full throttle felt surges in power and by no means was it even power delivery. Also in every single map other than 0 (off mode/disabled) I was getting check engine lights.

      On the plus side Racechip provided me a full refund with very little hassle once I sent it back to them in Germany.

      Long story short, not ready for prime time. I think these t6/t8 motors will never be good candidates for non factory tuning due to the way the torque management is controlled to mix the turbo/super chargers and electric motor (on the t8).



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

      There are two electrical connections when installing the RaceChip. One to the manifold pressure and the other to boost pressure. The ECM controls air/fuel ratio not the RaceChip. Could it be that you've already had the ECM remapped with Polestar and the two don't play well with one another? Did you scan your system to find out why you got a check engine light?

    29. #97
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post
      There are two electrical connections when installing the RaceChip. One to the manifold pressure and the other to boost pressure. The ECM controls air/fuel ratio not the RaceChip. Could it be that you've already had the ECM remapped with Polestar and the two don't play well with one another? Did you scan your system to find out why you got a check engine light?
      Since this is something you failed to grasp or acknowledge on Facebook, why not hash it out here as well...

      Yes, the ECM manages the A:F mixture. But it does so based on inputs from various sensors. The RaceChip piggyback is altering the signal for those two sensors, so that the ECM believes a different scenario exists than what's really present, and adjusts for the altered scenario.

      But hey, you do you, your car, your money, your risk.

    30. #98
      Junior Member csiever's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Since this is something you failed to grasp or acknowledge on Facebook, why not hash it out here as well...

      Yes, the ECM manages the A:F mixture. But it does so based on inputs from various sensors. The RaceChip piggyback is altering the signal for those two sensors, so that the ECM believes a different scenario exists than what's really present, and adjusts for the altered scenario.

      But hey, you do you, your car, your money, your risk.
      I'm glad that you can read advertising copy, good show. What I haven't agreed with is your assertion that driving the air/fuel ratio to a lean condition increases power, your assertion that installation of the RaceChip bypasses every safeguard within the ECM and would allow the air/fuel ratio to reach a point of self destruction of the engine. I do not agree with your assertion that merely installing the RaceChip (in the United States) will void the Volvo warranty. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance. I do not agree that boost levels are not increased. I base my postings on firsthand experience having installed a RaceChip on my T5 based, non Polestar enhanced vehicle. I have experienced NO warning lights, bells, whistles, sirens or horns since installation. I have experienced NO error codes after running complete systems scan. What we have here then is your theories vs. an actual, firsthand, tested installation. Until you've done the same your theories are just that, theories. Rather like recent proceedings isn't it? Your testimony includes no firsthand knowledge and is based on presumptions, hearsay and rumors. Prove me wrong. Install a RaceChip. Run it, test it and do a complete systems scan. You've got 30 days to return it for a full refund. What have you got to lose?

    31. #99
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Since this is something you failed to grasp or acknowledge on Facebook, why not hash it out here as well...

      Yes, the ECM manages the A:F mixture. But it does so based on inputs from various sensors. The RaceChip piggyback is altering the signal for those two sensors, so that the ECM believes a different scenario exists than what's really present, and adjusts for the altered scenario.

      But hey, you do you, your car, your money, your risk.
      I'm glad that you can read advertising copy, good show. What I haven't agreed with is your assertion that driving the air/fuel ratio to a lean condition increases power, your assertion that installation of the RaceChip bypasses every safeguard within the ECM and would allow the air/fuel ratio to reach a point of self destruction of the engine. I do not agree with your assertion that merely installing the RaceChip (in the United States) will void the Volvo warranty. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance. I do not agree that boost levels are not increased. I base my postings on firsthand experience having installed a RaceChip on my T5 based, non Polestar enhanced vehicle. I have experienced NO warning lights, bells, whistles, sirens or horns since installation. I have experienced NO error codes after running complete systems scan. What we have here then is your theories vs. an actual, firsthand, tested installation. Until you've done the same your theories are just that, theories. Rather like recent proceedings isn't it? Your testimony includes no firsthand knowledge and is based on presumptions, hearsay and rumors. Prove me wrong. Install a RaceChip. Run it, test it and do a complete systems scan. You've got 30 days to return it for a full refund. What have you got to lose?
      Read the entire thread you're posting in. Read the experience others have had with CELs.

      You, amazingly, have still not even acknowledged how the piggyback is doing anything it claims to do. It's not magic.

    32. #100
      Junior Member csiever's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Read the entire thread you're posting in. Read the experience others have had with CELs.

      You, amazingly, have still not even acknowledged how the piggyback is doing anything it claims to do. It's not magic.
      Ok, I've read the entire thread. tunedxc60 installed the RaceChip on a T6 that also has been flashed with Polestar. RaceChip doesn't offer a model to cover Polestar Enhanced engines. pocholin, on the other hand, installed the unit on a T6. tunedxc60 reports a maf error and that boost was not modified and that fuel ratios were run lean. Nothing to back up the explanations other than your constant BS theories about tuning the af ratio to lean to get more power. Your theories just don't pan out in the real world. I also see where pocholin received a new RaceChip which has been installed for 1300 miles and has found no problems. RaceChip tells me that they recommend a map of 5 (out of 7) on the GTS for my T5. In conversing with their customer service it was suggested a map 4 for day to day usage. Increasing the map number, I'm told also increases the boost pressure at a linear rate. I did not ask specifically but I believe I've read on their web site that map 6 & 7 are mainly for highest octane rating fuel. Possibly for other than stage 1 engines. So, what we're left with at the end of this thread is tunedxc60 who installed the RaceChip on a pre tuned (Polestar) ecm and pocholin who had initial problems that would appear to have worked themselves out with a new unit and me someone that installed the RaceChip on the lowly T5 without problems to date. I've never disputed how it works. That explanation is on RaceChip's site. What I have taken issue with has been your simplistic explanation as to how the signals are modified, at one time I believe you even likened it to "resistors" the value of which change while changing the maps. In reality the RaceChip uses an ARM Cortex-M3 processor as a smart, 7 channel, microcontroller. Your rantings about air/fuel ratios are dispelled with a simple chart which clearly shows that maximum power is obtained in a rich condition NOT lean as you drone on about. I've already posted a link to the FTC dispelling your statement that merely installing a RaceChip will void Volvo's warranty. Both tunedxc60 and pocholin report no damage to their vehicles after throwing a P023D error. No Armageddon, no total annihilation of their engines. Volvo's engine protection monitors are not modified, the engine is still fully protected. I'll go ahead and post the link for an a/f ratio chart here for those that may have missed it elsewhere. https://x-engineer.org/automotive-en...e-performance/ Your theories are demonstrably incorrect. Hearsay, innuendo, and assumptions prove nothing. First hand experience is the real test. The proof is in the pudding. Prove me wrong.
      Last edited by csiever; 01-26-2020 at 07:47 PM.

    33. #101
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post

      Ok, I've read the entire thread. tunedxc60 installed the RaceChip on a T6 that also has been flashed with Polestar. RaceChip doesn't offer a model to cover Polestar Enhanced engines. pocholin, on the other hand, installed the unit on a T6. tunedxc60 reports a maf error and that boost was not modified and that fuel ratios were run lean. Nothing to back up the explanations other than your constant BS theories about tuning the af ratio to lean to get more power. Your theories just don't pan out in the real world. I also see where pocholin received a new RaceChip which has been installed for 1300 miles and has found no problems. RaceChip tells me that they recommend a map of 5 (out of 7) on the GTS for my T5. In conversing with their customer service it was suggested a map 4 for day to day usage. Increasing the map number, I'm told also increases the boost pressure at a linear rate. I did not ask specifically but I believe I've read on their web site that map 6 & 7 are mainly for highest octane rating fuel. Possibly for other than stage 1 engines. So, what we're left with at the end of this thread is tunedxc60 who installed the RaceChip on a pre tuned (Polestar) ecm and pocholin who had initial problems that would appear to have worked themselves out with a new unit and me someone that installed the RaceChip on the lowly T5 without problems to date. I've never disputed how it works. That explanation is on RaceChip's site. What I have taken issue with has been your simplistic explanation as to how the signals are modified, at one time I believe you even likened it to "resistors" the value of which change while changing the maps. In reality the RaceChip uses an ARM Cortex-M3 processor as a smart, 7 channel, microcontroller. Your rantings about air/fuel ratios are dispelled with a simple chart which clearly shows that maximum power is obtained in a rich condition NOT lean as you drone on about. I've already posted a link to the FTC dispelling your statement that merely installing a RaceChip will void Volvo's warranty. Both tunedxc60 and pocholin report no damage to their vehicles after throwing a P023D error. No Armageddon, no total annihilation of their engines. Volvo's engine protection monitors are not modified, the engine is still fully protected. I'll go ahead and post the link for an a/f ratio chart here for those that may have missed it elsewhere. https://x-engineer.org/automotive-en...e-performance/
      If there were any award for typing a lot but not really saying anything....


      Anywho...you still have not acknowledged HOW the piggyback delivers anything it promises. You seem new to all of this, which is why I keep saying that RaceChip is not running a new game here. There have been many different brands over 2+ decades that have offered similar devices, and they all operate in the same fundamental way. And what I've yet to see you say, is that you understand what that method is.

      And yes, this voids the warranty. You are using a device to modify the input signal of sensors to the ECM that results in the engine to run within parameters that it would not otherwise run if seeing the unaltered signals. If you had an engine issue traced to that, they would deny the warranty claim. The statute you keep referencing does not apply to modifying the engine management system. But hey, your car, you do you.

    34. #102
      Junior Member csiever's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      North Carolina
      Posts
      60
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      If there were any award for typing a lot but not really saying anything....


      Anywho...you still have not acknowledged HOW the piggyback delivers anything it promises. You seem new to all of this, which is why I keep saying that RaceChip is not running a new game here. There have been many different brands over 2+ decades that have offered similar devices, and they all operate in the same fundamental way. And what I've yet to see you say, is that you understand what that method is.

      And yes, this voids the warranty. You are using a device to modify the input signal of sensors to the ECM that results in the engine to run within parameters that it would not otherwise run if seeing the unaltered signals. If you had an engine issue traced to that, they would deny the warranty claim. The statute you keep referencing does not apply to modifying the engine management system. But hey, your car, you do you.


      Just for you, because I know how difficult it is for you to read, I've highlighted IN THIS COLOR the answer to your second statement. Sorry, it will require you to scroll up a message or two.

      For someone that purports to be educated by a major university your reading comprehension and ability to decipher a chart is sorely lacking. Too much effort to follow a link?

      The law applies to EVERY non OEM part installed. No exceptions. Period. Can't be more succinct. Argue with the Federal Trade Commission. Try to convince them that they're wrong. Better yet point us to the location within the law that would list your claimed exception.

      https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

      Here you go, chose any air/fuel ratio chart you desire. They all say the same thing. They say your "explanations" about running lean for power are wrong. : https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...&bih=937&dpr=1

      pocholin reports "I get the Check Engine light (P023D) in every map # when I hesitate with the acceleration. When I press the accelerator (~half way through) for a fraction of a second and then let go (let's say when in traffic you see an opening and then decide not to go). My guess is because the throttle position and turbo pressure request didn't match the output turbo pressure right at the moment when I let go of the accelerator. There must be a very small delay in the piggyback that the ECU catches when this happens." Throttle response in these vehicles is abysmal and was addressed (somewhat) in the Polestar Enhancement. I'd say pocholin's assessment is spot on given the circumstances he's described. Given your propensity to either not comprehend text or arrogantly ignore it altogether is precisely why you shouldn't be handing out advice or more accurately people should turn a deaf ear.

      To observe the P023D DTC and automatically assume that the engine has suddenly started to operate at a dangerously lean a/f ratio (and according to you, the death of every living thing on the face of this planet or some such nonsense) and to then offer this fabrication as advice is advice better left unheeded.

      It's a simple enough method to read short term and long term fuel trim information to observe any rich or lean a/f ratio anomalies but then you'd have to understand the what function they serve and moreover the relationship between the two to glean any meaningful information.

      Still waiting for ANYTHING to give credence to your claims. ANYTHING. ANYTHING at all.
      Last edited by csiever; 01-27-2020 at 04:59 AM.

    35. #103
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      781
      Let's walk through this, shall we?

      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post
      Just for you, because I know how difficult it is for you to read, I've highlighted IN THIS COLOR the answer to your second statement. Sorry, it will require you to scroll up a message or two.
      What you color coded does not answer what I asked. I didn't ask if RaceChip knows how their product works. I asked for you, in your own words, to describe what you believe to be happening. I've asked this repeatedly because you have not displayed an understanding of how the product functions. You've stated things here and over on the Facebook group that imply that you think it's "magic". Do I need to quote what you said about how the ECM communicates with the piggyback?

      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post
      For someone that purports to be educated by a major university your reading comprehension and ability to decipher a chart is sorely lacking. Too much effort to follow a link?
      And we're back to the personal insults, built off your creepy stalking on Facebook, where you had a lengthy list of personal insults, which you then tried to edit...not realizing people can still freely see your unedited posts.

      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post
      The law applies to EVERY non OEM part installed. No exceptions. Period. Can't be more succinct. Argue with the Federal Trade Commission. Try to convince them that they're wrong. Better yet point us to the location within the law that would list your claimed exception.

      https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
      You cannot possibly believe what you just wrote, based on that link. I think you have a gross misunderstanding of what the Magnuson-Moss Act is.

      This applies to consumer, or independent workshops, conducting maintenance within the bounds of the provided warranty. Meaning, you go to NAPA and buy a replacement maintenance component to do a 40k mile servicing, and at 42k miles there's a component failure related to that or an associated system, the car manufacturer cannot deny your warranty claim. That's IF the replacement part was correct, and it's demonstrated that the repair was done properly. (Also IF the dealer or the manufacturer even wants to fight the claim).

      But it does NOT mean, as you state, that it "applies to EVERY non OEM part installed". That's absolutely crazy, as it would mean a person could throw on a giant turbo and a smaller SC pulley, run the boost through the roof, grenade the motor, and then make a warranty claim on the shortblock. It just doesn't work that way. Adding aftermarket components that cause the engine to operate outside of designed spec, would 100% cause a warranty claim denial, IF it was determined that the claim resulted from the aftermarket part and IF the dealer and/or manufacturer wanted to go through the potential fight.

      It's not a free-for-all, it's a protection for DIY end consumers and independent shops. Otherwise, without that protection, manufacturers and dealers would be locked in as the sole maintenance facility option to retain warranty coverage.


      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post
      Here you go, chose any air/fuel ratio chart you desire. They all say the same thing. They say your "explanations" about running lean for power are wrong. : https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...&bih=937&dpr=1

      pocholin reports "I get the Check Engine light (P023D) in every map # when I hesitate with the acceleration. When I press the accelerator (~half way through) for a fraction of a second and then let go (let's say when in traffic you see an opening and then decide not to go). My guess is because the throttle position and turbo pressure request didn't match the output turbo pressure right at the moment when I let go of the accelerator. There must be a very small delay in the piggyback that the ECU catches when this happens." Throttle response in these vehicles is abysmal and was addressed (somewhat) in the Polestar Enhancement. I'd say pocholin's assessment is spot on given the circumstances he's described. Given your propensity to either not comprehend text or arrogantly ignore it altogether is precisely why you shouldn't be handing out advice or more accurately people should turn a deaf ear.

      To observe the P023D DTC and automatically assume that the engine has suddenly started to operate at a dangerously lean a/f ratio (and according to you, the death of every living thing on the face of this planet or some such nonsense) and to then offer this fabrication as advice is advice better left unheeded.
      I'm not sure why I keep bothering on this particular topic, when you have yet to show an understanding of the underlying function of the piggyback itself, and that your response to the concern about correct a:f ratios (rich or lean) has been to post a Google Image search result. So I think it's prudent to just not go over this again.

      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post
      It's a simple enough method to read short term and long term fuel trim information to observe any rich or lean a/f ratio anomalies but then you'd have to understand the what function they serve and moreover the relationship between the two to glean any meaningful information.
      It would be...but no one has done that here, and RaceChip has not provided those graphs for each of the optional stages within the piggyback. You'd also want to see how timing is effected, since that's also adjusted based on inputs that are now altered as a result of the piggyback system.





      Look, it's pretty simple. These devices have been around for 2+ decades. There have been various brands, with various options, promising various power improvements. Can they work? Sure. Are they the smart way to approach power improvements? Not Really. Have people been burned by them, both in terms of under-delivering on power improvement claims, and on causing running issues? Yep. Should potential consumers be aware of that history? I would think so. It doesn't mean your engine is going to explode tomorrow or ever. It's simply pointing out the shortcomings of such a device and the concern an end consumer should have when using it, and weighing the potential costs vs. the potential benefits.

    36. #104
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271
      Quote Originally Posted by csiever View Post
      pocholin reports "I get the Check Engine light (P023D) in every map # when I hesitate with the acceleration. When I press the accelerator (~half way through) for a fraction of a second and then let go (let's say when in traffic you see an opening and then decide not to go). My guess is because the throttle position and turbo pressure request didn't match the output turbo pressure right at the moment when I let go of the accelerator. There must be a very small delay in the piggyback that the ECU catches when this happens." Throttle response in these vehicles is abysmal and was addressed (somewhat) in the Polestar Enhancement. I'd say pocholin's assessment is spot on given the circumstances he's described. Given your propensity to either not comprehend text or arrogantly ignore it altogether is precisely why you shouldn't be handing out advice or more accurately people should turn a deaf ear.
      Correction, I used to have the codes, probably for the reason mentioned here. At some point recently I updated results from the newly replaced unit the one with Bluetooth control. I no longer get error codes.
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    37. #105
      Junior Member pocholin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      271
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Look, it's pretty simple. These devices have been around for 2+ decades. There have been various brands, with various options, promising various power improvements. Can they work? Sure. Are they the smart way to approach power improvements? Not Really. Have people been burned by them, both in terms of under-delivering on power improvement claims, and on causing running issues? Yep. Should potential consumers be aware of that history? I would think so. It doesn't mean your engine is going to explode tomorrow or ever. It's simply pointing out the shortcomings of such a device and the concern an end consumer should have when using it, and weighing the potential costs vs. the potential benefits.
      How many piggy backs have you installed in any of your cars? There are some highly sophisticated piggy backs that deliver improvement claims, not cause any issues and are very smart devices that also protect your car, JB4 for example, even this one (RaceChip) by having a timer before doing its thing (whatever that is). Does RaceChip deliver as much as promised? Most likely not, I haven't found a shop willing to dyno my car...but there is a palpable difference at WOT when I turn it off and I turn it back on from the phone, which is proof that it is delivering an improvement.

      I don't think anyone is trying to convince you to put one in your car, but oversimplifying and generalizing this and/or other piggy backs is not right...or fair...unless you're talking about something like the TURBONATOR!!! LOL!!
      2017 V90 CC T6- Luxury pkg with full color paint Maple Brown with blond interior, convenience pkg, B&W, HUD, four-C. Racechip GTS.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. V90(CC) Spare wheel space vs Ocean Race
      By nquery in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 27
      Last Post: 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM
    2. New V90 CC Ocean Race
      By Bmo Pete in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: 04-02-2019, 10:29 AM
    3. V90 CC T6 Ocean Race - included accessory bag stuff?
      By hackR in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 11-03-2018, 10:02 PM
    4. V90 CC Ocean Race Air Suspension Stuck?
      By odonnebj in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 09-02-2018, 10:25 AM
    5. Volvo Car Canada Announces V90 and V90 CC Pricing and Packaging
      By alex_v in forum S90 & V90, V90CC (SPA: 2017 - )
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 11-02-2016, 05:18 PM