My wife is mad about the tints....
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    1. #1
      Junior Member Toy Slacker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Fairfield County
      Posts
      739

      My wife is mad about the tints....

      So, my wife told me I could put tints on her new wagon, but is now not happy with my choices.

      A quick rewind, on my Atlas I tinted the front two windows to 20% to match the factory rear windows and also tinted my windshield to 50%. She said she loves the way it looked and privacy, but on her brand new 330 wagon, she says I cheapened her $55k two week old car with the same treatment.

      Personally I love it, but she is not quite the same fan. What does my former Volvo community think??



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current: 2018 VW Atlas 3.6 4Motion SEL Premium
      Prior: 2010 Passion Red V70 RDesign (All-Show & Slow-Go), 91.5 months, 87,622 Miles and counting since new.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Global Moderator R-Pow3R3d's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      8,222
      Tint looks great.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R

    4. #3
      Moderator The Driver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      Huntington, NY
      Posts
      3,732
      As much as it looks great 50% on the windshield is insane. That is borderline dangerous, airblue 80 is the most I would ever go.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      602
      I agree with your wife... bad move...

    7. #5
      Junior Member Volvos rock's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Danielsville PA
      Posts
      701
      Like driving a fishbowl without it. Looks good.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      1996 850 GLT sdn (deceased @ 250k), 2002 V70 XC 120k (traded), 2009 S80 3.2 52k
      2010 VW Croutan 3.8 SE 29k
      1998 Chevrolet K1500 85k(only cause Volvo doesn't make pick ups)
      1965 Pontiac Lemans convertable (the sled)
      2013 Ford Police Interceptor Utility (not that horrible)

    8. #6
      Senior Member Chilled Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Backyard of TMI
      Posts
      16,765
      Not a fan of windshield tinting myself. But looks amazing .
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      /2004 V70XC - Project Truk
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      (Sh!t, did I just agree with Chilled Man?) .

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      38
      Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      As much as it looks great 50% on the windshield is insane. That is borderline dangerous, airblue 80 is the most I would ever go.
      My windshield used to be 25 like the rest of my windows. It was great, and I never had a single problem. Maybe I have better vision, maybe I have better head lights. I donít do it anymore bc despite the fact i have never had a single issue i am aware that Cops really hate it.

      op: car looks great.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    10. #8
      Junior Member whitev70r's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2003
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      759
      Wow ... loose laws where some of you are from ... 50% windshield ??!!

      As for overall look, you did what you could to try to make that wagon look better ... not sure anything can.
      05 V70 2.5T Sport Edition, Hilton Tune Stage 1, IPD front strut mount, CX Racing coilovers, 5mm front/10mm rear spacers - current baby.
      98 V70R AWD - Eurosport Tuning Dual Exhaust, lowered on Vogtland with Bilstein Touring, SOLD
      05 V70 2.5T AWD - No mods, got tired of the high rear end sticking up. SOLD
      98 V70 AWD - lowered on TME springs, Koni, IPD ECU, Volvo Dual Exhaust ... RIP
      Summer play vehicle - 09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      16
      Maybe the windshield is a little extreme but otherwise looks pretty good.

    12. #10
      Moderator The Driver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      Huntington, NY
      Posts
      3,732
      Quote Originally Posted by Rhodeking View Post
      My windshield used to be 25 like the rest of my windows. It was great, and I never had a single problem. Maybe I have better vision, maybe I have better head lights. I donít do it anymore bc despite the fact i have never had a single issue i am aware that Cops really hate it.

      op: car looks great.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Yeah, in NY they would probably arrest me for that haha. The problem is night time visibility, 0-100 scale is visible light transmission aka the light that can penetrate through the film. I don't know if this is exactly accurate but 50% means 50% less light, which could mean your seeing 50% less light at night an thus way less visibility at night. I know when I did my rear in 30% it was too dark and I couldn't see anything in reverse at night.

      That all said it looks great, I think the big thing for me is we just have too many deer for me to chance it at night. I've had 3 close calls just in the past 6 months.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      38
      Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Yeah, in NY they would probably arrest me for that haha. The problem is night time visibility, 0-100 scale is visible light transmission aka the light that can penetrate through the film. I don't know if this is exactly accurate but 50% means 50% less light, which could mean your seeing 50% less light at night an thus way less visibility at night. I know when I did my rear in 30% it was too dark and I couldn't see anything in reverse at night.

      That all said it looks great, I think the big thing for me is we just have too many deer for me to chance it at night. I've had 3 close calls just in the past 6 months.
      My windshield was tinted for years. Iím aware of what it means to drive with it at night. I donít recommend it for anyone that is not in full appreciation.or recommend in general, as I donít even have it. Main things is it scares cops. And these days the last thing you want is a scared cop


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    14. #12
      Junior Member Toy Slacker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Fairfield County
      Posts
      739
      All-

      Thank you for the responses.

      First, itís not legal to tint the full windshield at any level in CT. The most you can do is the band across the top (which I personally donít like). So, yes, we are taking our chances. And further, the max on front windows (I believe) is 30% in CT, so again, taking our chances. I donít think any of itís legal, hope im not jinxing myself...

      Second, we live in a coastal town and less than a mile from the coast along the 95 corridor, so there are street lights everywhere and night vision is fine (so fa). Plus both our cars have the LED xenon (something-ruther) headlights, so they are bright, but we are diminishing visibility knowingly. Itís not nearly as dark looking out as when youíre trying to look in. And the few times we have gone up to my momís in the woods of CT in my car, it has been fine.

      Lastly, itís not the windshield she hates, itís the darkness of all the side windows. she feels I took her corporate-mom-car-of-2-wagon and made it look like we are too young and not mid-30s.

      I told her to give it a few months, get to the warmer months, see it in real summer sun. And if she still hates it, Iíll use ďmyĒ money to fix it instead of ďourĒ money.

      Thank you all for the responses, I knew Iíd get better responses than from Bimmerpost or VWVortex.

      Side note, I really wanted to wait to see a V60, but they just werenít available yet, so had to pull the trigger on the last of the 19 330 wagons. Itís our first bmw to own, and itís a lot of fun to drive, has its quirks, but really happy so far and worth the 4 month order wait.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current: 2018 VW Atlas 3.6 4Motion SEL Premium
      Prior: 2010 Passion Red V70 RDesign (All-Show & Slow-Go), 91.5 months, 87,622 Miles and counting since new.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Location
      London, England
      Posts
      6
      Quote Originally Posted by Toy Slacker View Post
      So, my wife told me I could put tints on her new wagon, but is now not happy with my choices.

      A quick rewind, on my Atlas I tinted the front two windows to 20% to match the factory rear windows and also tinted my windshield to 50%. She said she loves the way it looked and privacy, but on her brand new 330 wagon, she says I cheapened her $55k two week old car with the same treatment.

      Personally I love it, but she is not quite the same fan. What does my former Volvo community think??



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Looks fab to me ......

    16. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. I'm just mad about Saffron, Saffron's mad about me...
      By Saffron-R in forum S70, V70 & V70XC (1998-2000)
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: 03-12-2017, 12:10 AM
    2. Bent my driveshaft and exhaust.... so mad.
      By AHI in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 36
      Last Post: 02-22-2007, 09:03 AM
    3. Don't make my wife MAD!
      By universityvolvoOSD in forum Car Lounge
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 11-14-2006, 04:53 PM
    4. My R is mad at me.
      By partridge in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 11-08-2005, 03:00 PM
    5. Getting my Tints removed...
      By pklee1 in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 06-08-2004, 06:16 PM