Emission Control System light lit at 2,500 miles on 2019 XC60 T5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question Emission Control System light lit at 2,500 miles on 2019 XC60 T5

The orange indicator light in the shape of an engine came on today after 4 months of ownership. Seattle Volvo says soonest they can get me in is 9 days out. The appointment clerk suggested it might be a loose gas cap. I told her that the vehicle does not have a gas "cap". She said it was ok to drive unless it was making funny noises or running irregularly. Gee I feel so much better! Any thoughts on what this could be? I'll post the diagnosis when i get it, but I'm not enthused to have a service issue after such a short time. Seems to validate the Consumer Reports reliability ratings.

Maybe they will have the rear liftgate struts for that Recall replacement when it gets serviced next week. Not holding my breath.

(I should add that I *love* the look and feel and drive of my XC60. I was just hoping that it would not be in the shop so soon for two different issues. My last 2 cars were Nissan Muranos and neither of them EVER had an issue that required a trip to the dealer (normal mtc excepted). I bought an XC90 its first model year and it was troublesome as well, but I like the brand so much I came back to it with the '19 xc90. Hoping these early issues are not indicative of a trend.)

UPDATE: Took the car to dealer today for this issue and to have the liftgate struts replaced per the recall. The diagnosis for the check engine / ECS light was "Code indicates small evap leak. Smoke tested EVAP system, found leak at fuel filler pipe. Replaced fuel filler pipe. Downloaded total car software upgrade to insure latest ECM software".

From comments here, this could well become its own recall issue. But it was an easy fix and not a problem that was causing any big issues.
      Last edited by Jakey206; 03-28-2019 at 09:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Most likely air leak in fuel filler line
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Slightly off topic but since it was mentioned...I think reliability rating should be broken into two sections. The first is, reliability in terms of problems that might leave me stranded or possibly cause injury/death as a result of a defect/fault. Second, reliability of items that are annoyances or items that don't have risk to well being or prevent general use of the vehicle.

On topic, I had a similar issue with a BMW and it was a bad O2 sensor.
      Joe
      '19 XC60 T5 P* AWD R-Design

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      Most likely air leak in fuel filler line
      micro crack in the fuel filler hose. xc90's have the same issue. i had it with my xc60 t5. the service said they've seen a few of them since the xc90 and the xc60's use the same or similar hose.

I had the same issue one week in on my 2018 R. First they replaced the fuel tank filler and the light went off. A week later the light is back on. This time a deeper look determined that it was the "leak diagnostic pump." They replaced that and it's been fine since then. They also told me that they had never seen a pump go so early (955 miles). Like that's supposed to make me feel better.

Well, my Emission Control System light went on this morning and fortunately I'm scheduled for an appointment tomorrow and we'll see what the outcome will be... My 2018 XC60 R-Design's odometer is at 9809 miles and this is the first time it's happened...
      2020 Crystal White XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered with 21" All Season Tires, Rear Bumper Cover and Mudflaps

Quote Originally Posted by sergjut14 View Post
      Well, my Emission Control System light went on this morning and fortunately I'm scheduled for an appointment tomorrow and we'll see what the outcome will be... My 2018 XC60 R-Design's odometer is at 9809 miles and this is the first time it's happened...
      They took care of it today by replacing the fuel filler pipe that was damaged... then, test driven, code cleared and all's fine after the drive home...
      2020 Crystal White XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered with 21" All Season Tires, Rear Bumper Cover and Mudflaps

My indicator light came on today @ ~4600mi...they can't get me in for 2 weeks (I asked for a loaner and that's the earliest they have one available) so I hope it's no big deal. Seems to drive OK.
      Joe
      '19 XC60 T5 P* AWD R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
      My indicator light came on today @ ~4600mi...they can't get me in for 2 weeks (I asked for a loaner and that's the earliest they have one available) so I hope it's no big deal. Seems to drive OK.
      Generally you can drive with the engine light on for a while. If it starts blinking that is when you have a problem. Our XC40 with 3600 miles had the emissions issue and they had to put a new sensor on it. Never blinked and drove just fine. Took a week to get the part. All is fine now.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

Well, i'm up to 7300 miles on the XC60 and the ECR warning light came on again. Took it to the dealer and they said service bulletin tells them to replace the EVAP PIP and Fuel Filler Pipe (AGAIN). This is the third time now for the same issue and same "solution". Is there any harm being done to the engine, or is this purely an Emission Control compliance annoyance?

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements